00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET.

105 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Question to every person who draws on their computers/laptops with drawing tablets,

I'm currently using Medibang Paint for practicing on my Wacom Intuos PT S CTH-490 Comic Pen & Touch Tablet. I may have the opportunity to purchase a different drawing software or a drawing tablet with a screen so I can see what I draw on the tablet instead of my computer's monitor, I have trouble watching where my stylus draws on the screen without watching where I draw on my tablet. I heard a lot of recommendations for Clip Studio drawing software from many people who recommend a software for digital drawing over traditional drawing so I have that as my first choice, but I want to hear your opinions if you agree, differ, or give the okay for Medibang Paint.

Response to SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET. 2023-11-24 16:07:53

At 11/24/23 03:08 PM, sackboy963 wrote: Question to every person who draws on their computers/laptops with drawing tablets,

I'm currently using Medibang Paint for practicing on my Wacom Intuos PT S CTH-490 Comic Pen & Touch Tablet. I may have the opportunity to purchase a different drawing software or a drawing tablet with a screen so I can see what I draw on the tablet instead of my computer's monitor, I have trouble watching where my stylus draws on the screen without watching where I draw on my tablet. I heard a lot of recommendations for Clip Studio drawing software from many people who recommend a software for digital drawing over traditional drawing so I have that as my first choice, but I want to hear your opinions if you agree, differ, or give the okay for Medibang Paint.

I'm gonna direct people to this drawing tablet resource again and The Seven Pens Buying Guide video.

as for software, medibang paint is ok tbh. what are you seeking to do that goes beyond it or what frustrations are you having with it that made you think of changing?

Response to SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET. 2023-11-24 16:11:36

At 11/24/23 04:07 PM, lucifertan wrote:
At 11/24/23 03:08 PM, sackboy963 wrote: Question to every person who draws on their computers/laptops with drawing tablets,

I'm gonna direct people to this drawing tablet resource again and The Seven Pens Buying Guide video.
as for software, medibang paint is ok tbh. what are you seeking to do that goes beyond it or what frustrations are you having with it that made you think of changing?

Nothing really, there's not much problems with the functions of medibang. There are some file saving format I have dealt with previously but I managed to figure it out how to properly save it. I just have mostly been hearing good things about Clip Studio and wanted to hear others opinions whether it's a good or so-so choice.

CSP's the go-to for paid but for free the main alternatives are Medibang/FireAlpaca and Krita. Drawing-wise you're not really getting a better experience going paid outside of niche apps like Rebelle or Corel Painter which simulate traditional media.

If you're having trouble with the disconnect, my advice is to not look at the tablet and instead focus on the cursor on your screen. It appears when you hover the stylus close to the surface, so just draw a bunch of random lines to get adjusted to the mapping. It feels weird at first but you'd be surprised how accurate you can be.

Response to SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET. 2023-11-24 16:26:15

At 11/24/23 04:15 PM, Riger44 wrote: CSP's the go-to for paid but for free the main alternatives are Medibang/FireAlpaca and Krita. Drawing-wise you're not really getting a better experience going paid outside of niche apps like Rebelle or Corel Painter which simulate traditional media.

If you're having trouble with the disconnect, my advice is to not look at the tablet and instead focus on the cursor on your screen. It appears when you hover the stylus close to the surface, so just draw a bunch of random lines to get adjusted to the mapping. It feels weird at first but you'd be surprised how accurate you can be.

I do try to follow the cursor on my screen whether I use the stylus on my tablet, but you're right, I need to practice it more with basic lines and shapes. I rush myself too soon and would already practice body anatomy or drawing media existing characters depending whether I can focus or that an intrusive daydream is interfering with my current thoughts and life. I will look into Krita and FireAlpaca a bit, maybe even download them since as you said it is a free alternative, but if FireAlpaca is similar to Medibang then I will just try out Krita instead.

Response to SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET. 2023-11-24 16:30:07

At 11/24/23 04:11 PM, sackboy963 wrote:

Nothing really, there's not much problems with the functions of medibang. There are some file saving format I have dealt with previously but I managed to figure it out how to properly save it. I just have mostly been hearing good things about Clip Studio and wanted to hear others opinions whether it's a good or so-so choice.

hmm, it's a good software and lots of artists are using it. whether it's a good choice for you is subjective, you should try it out along with all other alternatives. Krita, Rebelle etc. Clip and Rebelle have trial versions for you to do so, Krita is free.

Response to SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET. 2023-11-24 16:33:30

At 11/24/23 04:30 PM, lucifertan wrote:

hmm, it's a good software and lots of artists are using it. whether it's a good choice for you is subjective, you should try it out along with all other alternatives. Krita, Rebelle etc. Clip and Rebelle have trial versions for you to do so, Krita is free.

I already know Medibang has functions that can support with comic design as well, but I'm still practicing drawing, especially anatomy, so I have not jumped to comic creating yet. I have not heard if software such as Krita, Rebelle, or FireAlpaca supports comic design or even animation (I'm not jumping to animating yet, need practice after all), but I will research on them while I have time.

At 11/24/23 04:26 PM, sackboy963 wrote:
At 11/24/23 04:15 PM, Riger44 wrote: CSP's the go-to for paid but for free the main alternatives are Medibang/FireAlpaca and Krita. Drawing-wise you're not really getting a better experience going paid outside of niche apps like Rebelle or Corel Painter which simulate traditional media.

I do try to follow the cursor on my screen whether I use the stylus on my tablet, but you're right, I need to practice it more with basic lines and shapes. I rush myself too soon and would already practice body anatomy or drawing media existing characters depending whether I can focus or that an intrusive daydream is interfering with my current thoughts and life. I will look into Krita and FireAlpaca a bit, maybe even download them since as you said it is a free alternative, but if FireAlpaca is similar to Medibang then I will just try out Krita instead.

The screen is 'projected' to the active area of the tablet so yeah its really just a matter of adapting your muscle memory to the mapping. Just keep practicing.

FA and Medibang are just reskins lol so just try Krita. There's some other free ones too I forgot the names but none really come close to Krita. Writa is King of free apps.

Response to SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAWING SOFTWARE OR TABLET. 2023-11-24 17:11:01

At 11/24/23 04:33 PM, sackboy963 wrote:
At 11/24/23 04:30 PM, lucifertan wrote:

I already know Medibang has functions that can support with comic design as well, but I'm still practicing drawing, especially anatomy, so I have not jumped to comic creating yet. I have not heard if software such as Krita, Rebelle, or FireAlpaca supports comic design or even animation (I'm not jumping to animating yet, need practice after all), but I will research on them while I have time.

Krita does have some feature for comics and is capable of doing frame by frame raster animations, how good they are im not very sure as i only do sketches and paintings currently.