00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ragdollchewy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

is deviantart a good site for small artists?

1,674 Views | 58 Replies

im not looking for a huge fanbase or popularity there. i just want to find another site to post my art instead of just newgrounds, discord and blogger. i heard deviantart is a kind of good site for smaller artists. some of my favorite ones like uneucild use it. would you reccomend it?

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-22 10:57:18

At 11/22/23 09:53 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: im not looking for a huge fanbase or popularity there. i just want to find another site to post my art instead of just newgrounds, discord and blogger. i heard deviantart is a kind of good site for smaller artists. some of my favorite ones like uneucild use it. would you reccomend it?

I used to use it, but not anymore. Majority of my followers there migrated elsewhere so if you post chances are it really is not going to be seen. Before, there was an active community as I had a pretty strong one around my work - then the website changed its layout so it was difficult to search for things properly like you used to be able to do.

They then also made it that if you posted art you automatically agreed to consenting for your work to be fed to their AI they was developing at the time, I think they've since made it so 'No' is the default but because of that a lot of people deleted their accounts instead of having to manually opt out on hundreds of their works they posted over the years.

I wouldn't go to DA anymore, if you want a community you might just be best to hang here for a while.

BBS Signature

At 11/22/23 09:53 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: im not looking for a huge fanbase or popularity there. i just want to find another site to post my art instead of just newgrounds, discord and blogger. i heard deviantart is a kind of good site for smaller artists. some of my favorite ones like uneucild use it. would you reccomend it?

he-he-he... he-he-he...

You want to compete with AI and DA's own built in AI gen images? They just week ago raised free credits to all users, so that all their users would do more AI stuff.

I have browser plugin and full blocklist and use of 'topics' to get rid of AI spam, and while my own growth is impossible there due AI spam, then I have managed to find a few artists due inktober, but next time I am able to find new HUMAN artists will be in 11 months in next inktober.

You are better off to use Twitter and Tumblr than DA or Instagram. Twitter/X follows blocked tags and allows you to find people with common interests (nor it shadow-banns people using same tag twice in row or using still images) and Tumblr is doing its 2nd coming as they unbanned adult themes, and more younger people have started to use it as their supplement to Tiktok and other socials.

In other words - I do not think DA is a good site to have as human artist.

Edit: Also DA AI thing allows people to learn based on artist name! So if you plan to use DA You better use Glaze on ALL works you post there - the tool that is meant to protect your work against automated scraping. Or Nightshade, when it gets launched.

Nope! Unless you're popular on things like TikTok or Youtube it is very difficult to get a following on there in modern day

Before anyone asks, not even NSFW art will work as these days the site tends to be pretty censorship heavy for the advertisers

Oh and, it allows AI and heavily promotes it so...Yeah, unless you want to use the folder function I wouldn't reccomend making a new account for now anyhow

Join the Death Note Collab!!!...If you wanna...○ × ○

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-22 11:51:33

No I would not.

I used to post on DA, but stopped doing that, when the Eclipse version was launched a couple of years ago. The way that it was done showed me that the owner that bought the site, cared nothing about the users, particularly not smaller users. And that was before AI. I very much doubt things have changed for the better.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-22 12:22:14

At 11/22/23 10:58 AM, Tenebrare wrote:
he-he-he... he-he-he...

You want to compete with AI and DA's own built in AI gen images? They just week ago raised free credits to all users, so that all their users would do more AI stuff.

I have browser plugin and full blocklist and use of 'topics' to get rid of AI spam, and while my own growth is impossible there due AI spam, then I have managed to find a few artists due inktober, but next time I am able to find new HUMAN artists will be in 11 months in next inktober.

You are better off to use Twitter and Tumblr than DA or Instagram. Twitter/X follows blocked tags and allows you to find people with common interests (nor it shadow-banns people using same tag twice in row or using still images) and Tumblr is doing its 2nd coming as they unbanned adult themes, and more younger people have started to use it as their supplement to Tiktok and other socials.

In other words - I do not think DA is a good site to have as human artist.

Edit: Also DA AI thing allows people to learn based on artist name! So if you plan to use DA You better use Glaze on ALL works you post there - the tool that is meant to protect your work against automated scraping. Or Nightshade, when it gets launched.

What other sites do you suggest?

BBS Signature

At 11/22/23 12:22 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:

Now while I am good at reading out statistics and theory, I am next to horrible on executing said knowledge. I can tell you fault of sites, but if you are oriented on growth you can probably find way to make following anywhere. I am like that nerd, who can make the formulae, but wouldn't do the run to test the shoes.

However as bad as I am in socials myself, then in theory is that, when you start from absolute 0, then without using money and marketing - easiest way to get started with still images is in Tumblr.

It has 2 good reasons why - it still (now partially, but available in full for those, who like it) respects tags. Meaning, when you tag your work let say "character X" or "this style art" (so to speak), then it can be found and discovered. It is not as good as NG in terms of discoverability from 0 up, but it maintains this certain mentality of, "when you seek, you find" - now with blaze (paid posts and content) you get lower priority in tag search vs. some popular posts, but the reblog function allows to reach out far.

In flip side we have classic social media like IG, X, FB, TikTok,Youtube then if you want to make it big, then oddly... TikTok.

This everyone in west-hates platform, but if you are a 0 (aka new user) - then out of listed traditional social media giants this is THE only platform that would allow you to be discovered. In comparison - IG does not even have 'new' feed anymore, doesn't respect tags and shadow bans people even for NOT posting reels often enough. Also IG often suppresses content even from your followers! How can you grow, if even your own followers do not see your posts! Also IG has probably biggest bot problem out of them all.

X just doesn't like free users in general, only way my few posts get noticed is, when some Hollywood guys talked to me (so people probably checked my profile as I had brief chats with industry people in open web), so ... want to be seen pay. However it is cheaper to pay X than IG and X doesn't shadowban you for not using reels or not posting every day (IG apparently has this odd posts per week check up, where you must post in intervals to not be lowered in show priority). Also unlike in IG, X does not show your posts based on speed of likes gained (which means that artificially manipulating visibility is harder in X than in IG - and that is a good thing, less botting and fake celebrities)

When you do videos, then there really is one option. Tiktok. No matter what Us based lobbied and paid off media says, then Tiktok still is best of its kind. Also to new and free user. It's algorithms will allow you to enter into a bubble zone, and when you in bubble or part of the bubble you get to the people and find people. It is horrible system in sense it builds echo chambers and fuels brain-death in some circles, but then again - if you like art and focus on art, then what you find and be found in is art-topic. Youtube shorts, twitch, Instagram reels - all that is s*** and you gain 0 visibility as new. Those are only for old accounts or for privileged rich kids with loads of money.

Sure there are tons other websites for art - be it Artstation, Reddit, Pinterest galleries and so on, and so on, and you name it, but if you want to be part of community you are in NG already with added bonus of no AI. And only added bonus of Artstation, Pinterest and few others is that they may get priority on google search, but from this year this is also useless since Google now added automated AI generation to their image search.

Reddit some artists like, some hate. I found it obnoxious and its new design is even worse. I was there exactly 2 weeks and 3000 karma's worth, then deleted all my 15 posts with a script and not logged since. You can get visibility there, but it is like some generic whine pot. So many whining posts I have never seen any single platform. I guess negative complaints are good for karma-bait.

I personally just use Tumblr and NG now, even when I have been on places from Artstation to its derivatives and whatever-imaginable site you can find in web. I just find that as nobody - algorithm based websites just do not give any space to new comers and there are literally only 2 sites left that i know of which ignore the I generated popularity freed. NG and tumblr (partially).

This is a long post, but because I couldn't sleep and forgot myself to ramble and winter storm is coming, air is loud here.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-22 16:19:06

At 11/22/23 03:53 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
Now while I am good at reading out statistics and theory, I am next to horrible on executing said knowledge. I can tell you fault of sites, but if you are oriented on growth you can probably find way to make following anywhere. I am like that nerd, who can make the formulae, but wouldn't do the run to test the shoes.

However as bad as I am in socials myself, then in theory is that, when you start from absolute 0, then without using money and marketing - easiest way to get started with still images is in Tumblr.

It has 2 good reasons why - it still (now partially, but available in full for those, who like it) respects tags. Meaning, when you tag your work let say "character X" or "this style art" (so to speak), then it can be found and discovered. It is not as good as NG in terms of discoverability from 0 up, but it maintains this certain mentality of, "when you seek, you find" - now with blaze (paid posts and content) you get lower priority in tag search vs. some popular posts, but the reblog function allows to reach out far.

In flip side we have classic social media like IG, X, FB, TikTok,Youtube then if you want to make it big, then oddly... TikTok.

This everyone in west-hates platform, but if you are a 0 (aka new user) - then out of listed traditional social media giants this is THE only platform that would allow you to be discovered. In comparison - IG does not even have 'new' feed anymore, doesn't respect tags and shadow bans people even for NOT posting reels often enough. Also IG often suppresses content even from your followers! How can you grow, if even your own followers do not see your posts! Also IG has probably biggest bot problem out of them all.

X just doesn't like free users in general, only way my few posts get noticed is, when some Hollywood guys talked to me (so people probably checked my profile as I had brief chats with industry people in open web), so ... want to be seen pay. However it is cheaper to pay X than IG and X doesn't shadowban you for not using reels or not posting every day (IG apparently has this odd posts per week check up, where you must post in intervals to not be lowered in show priority). Also unlike in IG, X does not show your posts based on speed of likes gained (which means that artificially manipulating visibility is harder in X than in IG - and that is a good thing, less botting and fake celebrities)

When you do videos, then there really is one option. Tiktok. No matter what Us based lobbied and paid off media says, then Tiktok still is best of its kind. Also to new and free user. It's algorithms will allow you to enter into a bubble zone, and when you in bubble or part of the bubble you get to the people and find people. It is horrible system in sense it builds echo chambers and fuels brain-death in some circles, but then again - if you like art and focus on art, then what you find and be found in is art-topic. Youtube shorts, twitch, Instagram reels - all that is s*** and you gain 0 visibility as new. Those are only for old accounts or for privileged rich kids with loads of money.

Sure there are tons other websites for art - be it Artstation, Reddit, Pinterest galleries and so on, and so on, and you name it, but if you want to be part of community you are in NG already with added bonus of no AI. And only added bonus of Artstation, Pinterest and few others is that they may get priority on google search, but from this year this is also useless since Google now added automated AI generation to their image search.

Reddit some artists like, some hate. I found it obnoxious and its new design is even worse. I was there exactly 2 weeks and 3000 karma's worth, then deleted all my 15 posts with a script and not logged since. You can get visibility there, but it is like some generic whine pot. So many whining posts I have never seen any single platform. I guess negative complaints are good for karma-bait.

I personally just use Tumblr and NG now, even when I have been on places from Artstation to its derivatives and whatever-imaginable site you can find in web. I just find that as nobody - algorithm based websites just do not give any space to new comers and there are literally only 2 sites left that i know of which ignore the I generated popularity freed. NG and tumblr (partially).

This is a long post, but because I couldn't sleep and forgot myself to ramble and winter storm is coming, air is loud here.

i’ll use pinterest for now. my sis regulated my ig.

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 00:19:34

At 11/22/23 04:19 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:

Pinterest is a rough one, since you're throwing your lot in with people reposting other artists' work and, again, a total deluge of AI with no obligation to tag it as such. Really your best bet are platforms that have a strict "no AI" policy, not because AI generated images are better and people like them more, but because the bots that endlessly post them are algorithm ruiners. Imagine a platform that boosts you when you post often, and your competition is someone posting every 15 minutes. There's no point trying to compete in an environment that's that poisoned.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 00:40:55

At 11/23/23 12:19 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 11/22/23 04:19 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:

Pinterest is a rough one, since you're throwing your lot in with people reposting other artists' work and, again, a total deluge of AI with no obligation to tag it as such. Really your best bet are platforms that have a strict "no AI" policy, not because AI generated images are better and people like them more, but because the bots that endlessly post them are algorithm ruiners. Imagine a platform that boosts you when you post often, and your competition is someone posting every 15 minutes. There's no point trying to compete in an environment that's that poisoned.

idk what to do.

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 00:52:42

At 11/23/23 12:40 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: idk what to do.

Welcome to the club, bud

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 08:32:27

At 11/23/23 12:52 AM, Skoops wrote:
Welcome to the club, bud

i'll just use pinterest and deviantart anyway. there's no other option for me.

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 12:24:48

At 11/23/23 08:32 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
Welcome to the club, bud

how about reddit?

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 12:28:47

At 11/23/23 12:24 PM, lucifertan wrote:
Welcome to the club, bud
how about reddit?

only on r/newgrounds. i dont want a community other than ng. i just need anothersite.

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 13:04:20

At 11/23/23 12:28 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
Welcome to the club, bud
how about reddit?
only on r/newgrounds. i dont want a community other than ng. i just need anothersite.

hmm every site has its own community unless the site does not have social features.

what is your main purpose of posting on deviantart? or what makes deviantart seem like a good site for small artists?

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 13:41:24

At 11/23/23 01:04 PM, lucifertan wrote:
At 11/23/23 12:28 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
Welcome to the club, bud
how about reddit?
hmm every site has its own community unless the site does not have social features.
what is your main purpose of posting on deviantart? or what makes deviantart seem like a good site for small artists?

a site to post the low quality art i post. i feel like some of the stuff isnt suitable for ng.

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 14:40:08

No.

Pen pusher, brush dragger, wood butcher & usual suspect.

You can see my stuff here: https://shadenlines.newgrounds.com/art

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 17:26:41

DeviantArt has never been a good site. And if anyone tells you otherwise, they're lying.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 23:15:48

I really wouldn't recommend it, and I'm not just saying this because "hurr durr newgrounds better" I'm being very genuine.

Over the past few years a lot of the users have migrated to other platforms due to the site itself becoming very hard to use. Everything between the excessive bots, removal of vital features, big pay walls, encouragement of ai art, it's not really something that I would recommend anyone use anymore.

As of right now the best three platforms for artists are going to be Instagram newgrounds and Twitter, unless there's some other sites that I just haven't heard of.

You can also try Tumblr however from what I've heard tumblrs quality has also greatly decreased as well as its user base.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-23 23:56:04

At 11/22/23 12:22 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: What other sites do you suggest?

right now, I really can't think of anything else other than tumblr, maybe check that out?

I may not be the brightest in the box full of light-bulbs, but that doesn't mean I can't light the way in this dark world.

(you can call me wilson or mawi if you want, I'm also the one who made skibidi club.)

TOYHOUSEYOUTUBETUMBLRREDDIT

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 00:29:59

At 11/23/23 11:56 PM, mawibblap wrote:
At 11/22/23 12:22 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: What other sites do you suggest?
right now, I really can't think of anything else other than tumblr, maybe check that out?

ok

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 11:53:20

Um... no?

I wouldn't rule it out completely, but there's better choices than Deviantart. Like Newgrounds, Tumblr or even Twitter (as outragous as that sounds)

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 13:17:02

Fuck. No.

Look I know it may sound like a good start but I have to include the times they spit in people's faces, fully enabling AI art to scrape other artist's work and such, and need I mention the fetish art that is far too easy to find.

Best regards

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 15:49:15

This post convinced me to make a tumblr. Turns out, was a pretty good decision.

I post my art on like a dozen different places (From tiktok and twitter to bluesky and misskey) and I've gotten more interactions in 12 hours on tumblr than all the other combined.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 18:22:55

seconding everyone who has already suggested tumblr

I have one and I'm fine with how it's going so far. I say, just do what you want and have fun. That's the point of art after all

Froggo is always watching.

I'm going to shit your pants

[Pronouns are they/them btw]

BBS Signature

No, I always been a small artist and used to upload my art on DA, I was lucky if 5 people added my art to favorites and about the comments, I was lucky to get 1 at least because no one commented haha. In my opinion and own experience, DA is a hellhole for small artists at the moment and they even highlight AI art a lot.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 20:04:34

At 11/24/23 07:57 PM, NAUUU wrote:
No, I always been a small artist and used to upload my art on DA, I was lucky if 5 people added my art to favorites and about the comments, I was lucky to get 1 at least because no one commented haha. In my opinion and own experience, DA is a hellhole for small artists at the moment and even they AI art a lot.

ok

BBS Signature

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-24 23:41:49

At 11/24/23 03:49 PM, LordMortimor wrote: This post convinced me to make a tumblr. Turns out, was a pretty good decision.
I post my art on like a dozen different places (From tiktok and twitter to bluesky and misskey) and I've gotten more interactions in 12 hours on tumblr than all the other combined.

There are slow days, there are high days, but also if you go out comment, like, or reblog (I do not reblog others works due nature of my blog, and some people run separate reblog accounts altogether) , it is one platform, where you can make long term contacts much more easily.

Probably because people can post a lot (lengthy posts, images. videos etc) about themselves and the moment you start talking to them you already know if you and the other party have something more in common than the heart you added. There is common trend though that people hesitate to follow, interact with new accounts or may even flat-out block you, but this is encountered by adding working/proper header (which gets called as "profile" often as its something people see, when they hoover your blog link) for your blog and some coherent posts.

There is small porn bot problem, but Tumblr is working on that, and porn bots are on every platform anyway, so when you encounter any (often appearing on tag search), report them (instead ignoring), blocking is added to report. porn bots are also reason why new accounts may get slight silent treatment on 1st days, but you get out of that status pretty quick, when you active enough then.

Response to is deviantart a good site for small artists? 2023-11-25 01:47:46

I can't really recommended DA since they often made bad decision. Maybe try Artfol, Inkblot art, or Mastodon if you prefer small and chill userbase.

Thought Artfol & Inkblot have some hiccup there since it was made by small team but I think it's worth trying it.

I don't have Tumblr but since people seems recommended it, I think try using Tumblr too