00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

resources for learning music

158 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

resources for learning music 2023-11-12 10:58:56

looking for easy to access resources for learning how to create music. Some things to note are that I have no instruments, I don't have the space for them :( at most I could probably get away with a small midi piano and that I have pretty much no experience with creating music at all. Unless dicking around in garage band at 12 and making something that sounds like the audio equivalent of a stroke counts.

I've already started using duo-lingo's new music course to help me learn to read music sheets but that's all I've got.

any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated !

in the end our choices make us

Response to resources for learning music 2023-11-12 11:40:37

You mention that you have no space for instruments. Do you have a DAW like FL Studio or something you have or plan on getting? Wouldn't want to direct you towards the wrong tutorial for the wrong program.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to resources for learning music 2023-11-12 11:59:31

At 11/12/23 11:40 AM, Atlas wrote: You mention that you have no space for instruments. Do you have a DAW like FL Studio or something you have or plan on getting? Wouldn't want to direct you towards the wrong tutorial for the wrong program.

I have garage band on my Mac (yay for free software that comes built in with your devices) but since I have no experience with music as a medium I haven't looked into purchasing any other softwares (I would say it's because I don't want to spend money on a hobby I don't know if I'll enjoy but I've been writing and drawing for years using free programs, I'm just cheep lmao)

in the end our choices make us

Response to resources for learning music 2023-11-12 12:41:42

FREE Audio Resources List For Composers - 2022/2023 <-- look towards the bottom of the news post, where there's a list of easy to follow through video demonstrations of the core essentials + much more

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to resources for learning music 2023-11-12 13:18:10

At 11/12/23 10:58 AM, GalaxyFox8 wrote: looking for easy to access resources for learning how to create music. Some things to note are that I have no instruments, I don't have the space for them :( at most I could probably get away with a small midi piano and that I have pretty much no experience with creating music at all. Unless dicking around in garage band at 12 and making something that sounds like the audio equivalent of a stroke counts.

I've already started using duo-lingo's new music course to help me learn to read music sheets but that's all I've got.

look for online or easy to access instrumentes, DAWs, and others.

Also you can search videos on youtube.

Response to resources for learning music 2023-11-12 14:01:53

I don't have any resources, any courses to link, or anything of mine that I can directly link that would show what I know .. but if you really need someone to talk to and reach out to, feel free to message me because I feel I have enough of a grasp on the practical aspects of Music Theory to hopefully get you started. :)

In regards to software, there are definitely quite a few powerful free options for you such as MuseScore (more traditional music notation + neat instrument libraries), Adrour, and LMMS as free options for your DAW before you look into software you would have to pay for. This also includes the fact that you do have legitimately good free libraries to play with and use before you think about investing what could potentially be thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment and libraries to beef up what you can do.

Response to resources for learning music 2023-11-12 14:16:27

At 11/12/23 10:58 AM, GalaxyFox8 wrote: looking for easy to access resources for learning how to create music. Some things to note are that I have no instruments, I don't have the space for them :( at most I could probably get away with a small midi piano and that I have pretty much no experience with creating music at all. Unless dicking around in garage band at 12 and making something that sounds like the audio equivalent of a stroke counts.

Get a MIDI keyboard, if you want a lot of keys I recommend the Nektar SE49, it's the one I use and it's relatively cheap.

FL Studio allows a 30-day trial, but if you're comfortable with GarageBand then keep using that! Someone already linked the free music resources, so have a look there and find something that you like!

pfp: BellieQwQ | website: jaypedia.xyz | bandcamp: thejayjay.bandcamp.com

thanq yuo