00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Music that makes you draw.

709 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 12:47:16

So, I listen to music to become better at drawing.

This topic is for those who love to draw while listening to music..

I was a bit nervous to choose which section to put this on.

So here, I put it in Art.

You can post music links and a drawing too.

I am curious about your suggestions, choices and idea of what a song can make you do in art.

My favorites song come from rock bands, heavy metal, remix of songs and rap.

Here is the remix of Berserk and american psycho song that plays for 1 hour straight.

Here is the song of CoD Black Ops

Here is the song of Freddy Vs Jason

iu_1105299_13444152.png

ZombieGhost

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 13:29:34

We live we love we lie

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 13:38:49

dragon force through the fire

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 13:49:04

As predictable as it may sound, I often listen to the Lofi Girl Youtube channel while I draw. The music is non-intrusive enough to not distract me from what I'm doing, but still manages to create a mood. I tend to listen to it if I'm drawing something melancholy. If I want to get pumped while I draw, I go for this synthwave channel. Or I just listen to whatever music I feel like on my phone, mostly dance or electronic.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 14:34:55

Instrumental math rock is usually my go to when it comes to drawing.

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 15:57:12

At 10/29/23 01:49 PM, vlsrb wrote: As predictable as it may sound, I often listen to the Lofi Girl Youtube channel while I draw. The music is non-intrusive enough to not distract me from what I'm doing, but still manages to create a mood. I tend to listen to it if I'm drawing something melancholy. If I want to get pumped while I draw, I go for this synthwave channel. Or I just listen to whatever music I feel like on my phone, mostly dance or electronic.

I totally agree with you that Lofi Girl channel is great.

ZombieGhost

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 16:38:23

Between Two Worlds

In Hell We Live, Lament

Magnolia song series

Gone Angels

This one I resonate the most with especially for when I start drawing.

And Then is Heard No More

iu_1105445_9507916.webp

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 16:51:27

great fugue in g minor

BBS Signature

Uh oh... it was topic I wanted to do, but wasn't sure if I should as I am not much of a talk-starter.

I wanted to know if there are people like myself, who use music as a guide book, not as a space filler. I also use music as URL (directions - link to location) inside my head to access certain archived ideas and data in general. I can use music and revisit detailed 3D image of an idea inside my head even when decade has passed. There is very direct link between music and what I do. Not just in arts. When i was younger i used to gift people compilations with music instead writing letters as I believed music explains it better. My mom told me that i used to be so also like toddler - I was kind of whiny whimper kid that never shut up and cried and cried and cried - worst were the sleep times. And then mom found that I react to sounds. So using music, or even sound of heater or air conditioner. I just ... hated... silence.

I still hate complete silence without any additional sound. Long story short - music makes me do anything and music keeps me sane (with doodling).

Normally each drawing or theme as its own theme song. Most commonly I just loop same song because it is the URL to the idea and 3D image inside my head.

Here's few examples of some of the links and looping songs that made the images.

Yello - Pocket Universe was how this image came to be.

iu_1105459_16926282.webp

In my head it was a moving image and maybe in some other situation I would have done camera mapping slow animation out of it because of this track. The song includes real Russian orthodox song and the image is based on final journey of a man trough cold void. I had no idea what to do for the inktober prompt and when the song started to play randomly on the playlist - it took me less than few seconds to make the 3D animated concept in my head for the doodle. And after that doodling sketch based on the image in my head was easy. Guided by the song. Had to loop the song until image was done.

Since you can post 2 images, I bring another example

Edith Piaf - Non, Je ne regrette rien // The Inception kick version

I was in bad place - I had lost my ability to draw due wrist pain and what was equally messed was my brain. The Music links didn't work, the focus not there. I was waiting that kick to wake me up from this hell. Imagine your passion is taken from you and there I was trying desperately doing something and failing and failing and it was painful - physically and then on tele came Inception and hearing this 'kick' part played out during film action parts it somehow clicked in me and said - try... try again and so I cried and tried, but was different was that my brain was able to stay on the URL-focus on an idea.. just because I heard the kick in the film.

Was the 1st time after injury I believed I can draw again and focus on the music given 3D spaces inside my head again.

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 18:27:41

Dialtown soundtracks make fun background music for me, or FNaF and Billie Bust Up songs if i want more energy in what i listen to

play dialtown play dialtown play dialtwon play dialtown (really good game :) )

follow me if ye like my work!

https://crimsonsaber.carrd.co/

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-29 18:38:02

Future funk, electronic, any upbeat music with great rhythm is sure to inspire me when I draw. Sometimes I get a whole idea for a drawing just from hearing a cool part in a song.

I also like calm funk every now and then when I’m drawing something more mellow (or when I’m just feeling extra chill).

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-30 09:53:15

At 10/29/23 04:38 PM, Dolorious wrote: Between Two Worlds
In Hell We Live, Lament
Magnolia song series
Gone Angels

Mili's music is so beautiful.

I am the original GetterRocka

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-30 09:55:03

Lately I've been trying to listen to music that fits the intensity of the art I'm making. If it's just a chill sorta environment, I like to listen to Snail's House's music. If the art I'm making is an intense action scene, I love myself some Guilty Gear music.

I am the original GetterRocka

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-30 15:02:00

At 10/30/23 09:53 AM, GetterRocka wrote:
At 10/29/23 04:38 PM, Dolorious wrote: Between Two Worlds
In Hell We Live, Lament
Magnolia song series
Gone Angels

Mili's music is so beautiful.

It is indeed.

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-31 10:32:18

i normally just listen to whatever i’d like, but sometimes if i rlly need a boost, i’ll listen to future funk or breakcore to get ideas flowing

art thread!! :D

art nerd who has nothing to talk about, other than art or extremely specific fandom stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-10-31 11:18:17

the entire ultrakill ost

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-01 08:55:58

This going to sound cliche, but I love listening to video game soundtracks, especially from classic old-school games

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-01 10:07:01

I believe it depends mainly of what I wanna draw first. Usually I end up hearing Madness music, either original pieces or remixes from other users like Lothyde or CRY.NN, since they have a cool eerie vibe.

For example, the other day I was hearing to SIN 3.5 Album from Cheshyre's channel on Youtube, while working in a drawing of a Twisted Fairy. I encourage you to listen to different music of different genres, look what feeling they give to you and work upon that.

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-01 20:41:21

d4dj

𝓰𝓻𝓲𝓶 𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓸𝓮

ɴɢ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴀʀᴋ ᴘɪᴍᴇɴᴛᴏ ɪꜱ ᴄᴏᴏʟ

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-01 22:14:42

I mix it up a bit, usually I try to listen to music that fits the tone of what I'm drawing cuz that helps me get in a good mindset

The two I mainly default to are Reflection from the Hollow Knight OST and The Only Way Out from Yakuza 7. I just put one of them on loop and it gets me in a calm mindset that helps me think better about the piece

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-01 22:29:42

At 11/1/23 10:14 PM, DozyMike wrote: I mix it up a bit, usually I try to listen to music that fits the tone of what I'm drawing cuz that helps me get in a good mindset

The two I mainly default to are Reflection from the Hollow Knight OST and The Only Way Out from Yakuza 7. I just put one of them on loop and it gets me in a calm mindset that helps me think better about the piece

That's a good way of setting the mood. Thank you for sharing your insight

ZombieGhost

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 05:25:24

My music taste is complicated but i guess i can try to describe what i listen to when drawing. I like groovy and hype music but my playlist is full of game soundtracks like sonic and bomb rush cyberfunk

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 09:53:19

Made playlist with some of c418’s tracks as they’re so relaxing

gg

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 16:42:07

my usual go to is something from samurai champloo or the jet set radio games

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 17:15:28

lately i listened to amazarashi - kisetsu wa tsugi tsugi shindeiku

(attempted to release my pent up anger by listening to this, after sobbing a while i forgot i listened to this and living my life as usual--draw, tired, rest 1 hour, draw, tired, rest)

when i need to push myself harder, i listened to hitchhiker x taeyong -- around, until i collapsed

a good way to have a good sleep

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 18:12:03

At 10/31/23 11:18 AM, FunnyPlush wrote: the entire ultrakill ost

BASED

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 23:16:50

Me personally, I think it's DNA by empire of the sun

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-02 23:49:09

bram stokers dracula soundtrack, taste this by DNA, from dusk by guitar vader, batman forever soundtrack, bring it by puffy amiyumi. too many to list honestly

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-03 00:27:43

Alberto Balsalm

Kid for Today

Peshay Studio Set (Album)

Flying Beagle (Album)

Mint Jams (Album)

This is a taste of the songs I usually listen to while drawing. The more dark and moody the song is, the more the piece is gonna be as dark and moody

Home, its where I want to be

But I guess I'm already there

BBS Signature

Response to Music that makes you draw. 2023-11-03 19:35:22

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature