00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Murdermoth just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I want some HEAVY criticism on my music

266 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I want to get better and I need constructive criticism to do that.

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I want some HEAVY criticism on my music 2023-10-07 12:17:20

At 10/7/23 10:51 AM, chenjoy wrote: Alrighty!
Im not that experienced with music myself, but...i listened to your two most recent songs.
FLANGECORE is weird, but not in a good way. It is repetitive, a bit hurting to listen and veeeeery dissonant. You might wanna learn about scales, Keys and that kinda stuff.
your other song, cant remember the name lol, is better, but still pretty boring. You should try to add more instruments in the song as the melody progresses, as well as adding a more interesting bassline. Make your songs feel less empty, but dont overcharge them either :)
Also learn about mixing, your mixing isnt the worst but it could be better.
I hope you make more stuff in the future and i look forward to seeing your improvement.

ok dude

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I want some HEAVY criticism on my music 2023-10-08 01:57:36

I also listened to your most recent two songs, but I have very different opinions than the other responder. I don't have a problem with the dissonance, I think it is pretty much the essence of especially WHATTT or whatever it's called. I think that one is a much better attempt at a coherent yet uneasy, dissonant take, which is what you're going for, so I'll judge it based on that.

The primary issue I had with FLANGECORE is that the song is repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. There is no real progression other than sliced hip hop drum samples which don't really fit the way you set yourself up. But WHATT's progression has a lot more potential as a coherent song; the best way to successfully compose like this is to ask yourself "okay what I wrote is dissonant and I like that, *but does it make sense harmonically*? You tried to mix consonance and dissonance, which is something I tried to do in my most recent two songs, but at least with mine you get significantly more development and more varied structuring that prevent that repetitive nature. By ensuring that the dissonance actually leads somewhere satisfying within a reasonable time frame, you are never leaving the listener hanging and they can enjoy the whole thing all the way through. That's just my two cents though.

Response to I want some HEAVY criticism on my music 2023-10-08 14:27:34

At 10/8/23 01:57 AM, 50Steaks wrote: I also listened to your most recent two songs, but I have very different opinions than the other responder. I don't have a problem with the dissonance, I think it is pretty much the essence of especially WHATTT or whatever it's called. I think that one is a much better attempt at a coherent yet uneasy, dissonant take, which is what you're going for, so I'll judge it based on that.
The primary issue I had with FLANGECORE is that the song is repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. There is no real progression other than sliced hip hop drum samples which don't really fit the way you set yourself up. But WHATT's progression has a lot more potential as a coherent song; the best way to successfully compose like this is to ask yourself "okay what I wrote is dissonant and I like that, *but does it make sense harmonically*? You tried to mix consonance and dissonance, which is something I tried to do in my most recent two songs, but at least with mine you get significantly more development and more varied structuring that prevent that repetitive nature. By ensuring that the dissonance actually leads somewhere satisfying within a reasonable time frame, you are never leaving the listener hanging and they can enjoy the whole thing all the way through. That's just my two cents though.

Big brain take

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I want some HEAVY criticism on my music 2023-10-09 00:44:44

At 10/7/23 09:39 AM, SuitedBroccoli wrote: I want to get better and I need constructive criticism to do that.

Okay, take all of this with a grain of salt because my music experience is in theory and performance, not really in production.

Flangecore: it's just too chaotic. The dissonance is very jarring, but that may be what you want. I'd EQ out the sharp, high parts of the sound, and add some embellishments to the melody. There's not much to be said about the harmony, just because it is so dissonant.

Whatthe: It would sound better, in my opinion, if the sound wasn't so constant. Maybe there could be less reverb, or the sound could again be made "softer" with EQ. I think the repetitions of the theme in the beginning could benefit from an off-putting amount of rest between them— this would add to the overall vibe. After the bass notes start at 17 seconds, they pause in a very weird place, and I would let them travel down a semitone. The percussion is really cool, however. The melody at 51 seconds is very slow and without structure, so I would certainly make it faster, add a swing beat, embellish it, and add unhealthy amounts of portamento and such to make it as "whatthe" as possible.

I don't have time for more right now. Cool music!

Response to I want some HEAVY criticism on my music 2023-10-09 19:59:47

At 10/9/23 12:44 AM, mixolyxo wrote:
At 10/7/23 09:39 AM, SuitedBroccoli wrote: I want to get better and I need constructive criticism to do that.
Okay, take all of this with a grain of salt because my music experience is in theory and performance, not really in production.
Flangecore: it's just too chaotic. The dissonance is very jarring, but that may be what you want. I'd EQ out the sharp, high parts of the sound, and add some embellishments to the melody. There's not much to be said about the harmony, just because it is so dissonant.
Whatthe: It would sound better, in my opinion, if the sound wasn't so constant. Maybe there could be less reverb, or the sound could again be made "softer" with EQ. I think the repetitions of the theme in the beginning could benefit from an off-putting amount of rest between them— this would add to the overall vibe. After the bass notes start at 17 seconds, they pause in a very weird place, and I would let them travel down a semitone. The percussion is really cool, however. The melody at 51 seconds is very slow and without structure, so I would certainly make it faster, add a swing beat, embellish it, and add unhealthy amounts of portamento and such to make it as "whatthe" as possible.

cool ideas, thanks for the tips!

SotedBriccli (:

BBS Signature

Response to I want some HEAVY criticism on my music 2023-10-09 23:07:48

At 10/9/23 07:59 PM, SuitedBroccoli wrote:
At 10/9/23 12:44 AM, mixolyxo wrote:

cool ideas, thanks for the tips!

Yeah, anytime. Except for when I'm busy.