00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

EatMyShoes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running!

236 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Self Promo Thread, I guess? This is like my first time posting to the newgrounds forum, despite me being an active member for years, I hope I'm doing it right.

I finally managed to get my webcomic all sorted up! Tapas is nice, but I'd really rather host it over here on Newgrounds for the most part.

With the playlist function and the multi-image post system (THANK GOD) it's all nice and sorted, easy and readable, and I don't have to fuck around with all the back and forth linking and stuff

https://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/73f326bb9536ef61dd612b335b4f437f (PLAYLIST OF THE EPISODES!)

In a fantasy world where all extraordinary powers are fueled by the mysterious six-colored energy known as Chroma, adventure awaits!

A group of disparate heroes, all sent into a dungeon to seek out and destroy the source of a local scourge of undead, find themselves suddenly thrust together into an adventure much deeper than it seemed.

They'll have to learn to work together despite misgivings if they're to face down the evil Necromancer at the source of this... and even then... how are they going to get out?

This comic is filled with fantasy action, sword and sorcery fun, D&D-Ish Humor, and some cool fantasy stuff like Undead Dragons, Necromancers, Weird Autistic Wizards, and Australians!

iu_1088267_7136873.webp

If you like it, I'd love to see your comments! Or any critiques on it. I know the art is a bit rough around the edges, but the recent pages I've been working on are a lot better and more stable, it's my first time trying something like this, and I'm learning new things all the time!

I'm excited to keep hosting these on newgrounds now.

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2023-09-29 09:32:00

Hey there! I read all of the episodes of your comic you've posted on NG so far. Here are some not-so-coherent but honest opinions.

The story is obviously in its early stages, but the plot so far is pretty good. The early pages suggest to me that you've spent a fair amount of time on worldbuilding and lore before you started working on the comic, which is always a good thing - making something up as you go along is a high-risk strategy with longform stories. Introducing six characters in a single episode is a pretty challenging task; you've chosen to do it "on the fly", by giving little bits of characterization as the plot unfolds. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it fits the tone of your comic, but at times I felt I was bombarded with too much info at once. Personally, I would have given each of the three pairs their own introductory chapter that sets up their background and dynamic, before having them all come together. That's just me though - I'm definitely not here to tell you how to make your own comic.

I enjoyed the humor, and there were several comedic moments that I appreciated. Ifne is already my favorite character, stealing every scene he's in with his hilariously curt reactions and responses.

Art-wise, as you're aware of, there is room for improvement. At the moment, everything tends to look a little flat because of the simple linework/colors and minimal use of shading. Now, since your comic is both fantasy and comedy, you don't need to blow us away with hyper-realistic characters and backgrounds. But I do feel that it would benefit from more detail in anatomy, facial expressions, clothing/weapons and setting. A lot of these improvements tend to come naturally as an artist works on a comic and grows more comfortable with it, and this is why I encourage you to continue this story and keep drawing. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself with more complex scenes or angles - yeah, they'll take forever to do and won't come out perfectly on the first try, but time invested in improvement is never wasted. You'll reap the rewards as your comic progresses.

I sometimes found the text difficult to read - this mostly happened with the green and yellow text which is a bit on the pale side and wasn't easy to make out when the font size was smaller.

Overall, I liked this comic and would like to read more to see where it's going. Hopefully you'll find something of use in what I wrote, and good luck with the rest of your story!

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2023-09-29 09:55:44

At 9/29/23 09:32 AM, vlsrb wrote: Hey there! I read all of the episodes of your comic you've posted on NG so far. Here are some not-so-coherent but honest opinions.

The story is obviously in its early stages, but the plot so far is pretty good. The early pages suggest to me that you've spent a fair amount of time on worldbuilding and lore before you started working on the comic, which is always a good thing - making something up as you go along is a high-risk strategy with longform stories. Introducing six characters in a single episode is a pretty challenging task; you've chosen to do it "on the fly", by giving little bits of characterization as the plot unfolds. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it fits the tone of your comic, but at times I felt I was bombarded with too much info at once. Personally, I would have given each of the three pairs their own introductory chapter that sets up their background and dynamic, before having them all come together. That's just me though - I'm definitely not here to tell you how to make your own comic.

I enjoyed the humor, and there were several comedic moments that I appreciated. Ifne is already my favorite character, stealing every scene he's in with his hilariously curt reactions and responses.

Art-wise, as you're aware of, there is room for improvement. At the moment, everything tends to look a little flat because of the simple linework/colors and minimal use of shading. Now, since your comic is both fantasy and comedy, you don't need to blow us away with hyper-realistic characters and backgrounds. But I do feel that it would benefit from more detail in anatomy, facial expressions, clothing/weapons and setting. A lot of these improvements tend to come naturally as an artist works on a comic and grows more comfortable with it, and this is why I encourage you to continue this story and keep drawing. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself with more complex scenes or angles - yeah, they'll take forever to do and won't come out perfectly on the first try, but time invested in improvement is never wasted. You'll reap the rewards as your comic progresses.

I sometimes found the text difficult to read - this mostly happened with the green and yellow text which is a bit on the pale side and wasn't easy to make out when the font size was smaller.

Overall, I liked this comic and would like to read more to see where it's going. Hopefully you'll find something of use in what I wrote, and good luck with the rest of your story!

Thank you so much for this feedback! And I'll tell you this, it's already being put into practice. Everything starting from Episode 6 has some pretty exciting scenes, and everything starting from Episode 7 (which had a good hiatus of work before I started on it a month or two ago) has a bigger focus on more visually appealing scenes and fixed issues with text and word-bubble color.

Again, big thanks for giving it a look!

New Episode out now! The full first part of the comic is up now, and I'm hard at work on the next episode, which will be really good I think!

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2023-10-13 04:52:11

At 10/12/23 04:52 PM, Modstin wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/modstin/far-travelers-episode-6-demonda-city-of-the-dead
New Episode out now! The full first part of the comic is up now, and I'm hard at work on the next episode, which will be really good I think!

Just finished reading it. A lot of the comments from my previous post apply to this episode as well, but since you said that you were taking care of all the issues I mentioned there's no need to repeat myself.

This was a nice chapter. I enjoyed the time you put into Thell's characterization - she seems to be the "self-confidence disproportionally low compared to actual ability" type, which I quite like. Some interesting hints and info about the chroma system as well, and a good set-up for the next chapter. At this point it's still something I'd like to continue reading, so good luck with the next episode!

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2023-10-23 14:28:07

And the next episode starts! It's been *almost a year* since I really started working on this, with a big hiatus for polishing chapter 1. I think I've applied a lot more of my current skills to this episode, and I'm very happy with it!

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2024-02-13 10:58:57

At 9/28/23 01:21 PM, Modstin wrote: Self Promo Thread, I guess? This is like my first time posting to the newgrounds forum, despite me being an active member for years, I hope I'm doing it right.

I finally managed to get my webcomic all sorted up! Tapas is nice, but I'd really rather host it over here on Newgrounds for the most part.
With the playlist function and the multi-image post system (THANK GOD) it's all nice and sorted, easy and readable, and I don't have to fuck around with all the back and forth linking and stuff

https://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/73f326bb9536ef61dd612b335b4f437f (PLAYLIST OF THE EPISODES!)

In a fantasy world where all extraordinary powers are fueled by the mysterious six-colored energy known as Chroma, adventure awaits!
A group of disparate heroes, all sent into a dungeon to seek out and destroy the source of a local scourge of undead, find themselves suddenly thrust together into an adventure much deeper than it seemed.
They'll have to learn to work together despite misgivings if they're to face down the evil Necromancer at the source of this... and even then... how are they going to get out?

This comic is filled with fantasy action, sword and sorcery fun, D&D-Ish Humor, and some cool fantasy stuff like Undead Dragons, Necromancers, Weird Autistic Wizards, and Australians!

If you like it, I'd love to see your comments! Or any critiques on it. I know the art is a bit rough around the edges, but the recent pages I've been working on are a lot better and more stable, it's my first time trying something like this, and I'm learning new things all the time!
I'm excited to keep hosting these on newgrounds now.

I guess I'll post the most recent episode too! New Episode out now! Very relaxing, I think.

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2024-02-13 13:43:01

Looks good so far, your art is really appealing (specifically the colors and paneling)!!!!

How do you make one of those playlists? Ive also been posting a comic on newgrounds and plan to post more, but I feel like itd be easier to use a playlist for the chapters

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2024-02-13 16:00:44

At 2/13/24 01:43 PM, Inksmudge wrote: Looks good so far, your art is really appealing (specifically the colors and paneling)!!!!

How do you make one of those playlists? Ive also been posting a comic on newgrounds and plan to post more, but I feel like itd be easier to use a playlist for the chapters

You have to go to each post and add it to a playlist, that lets you create the playlist to start with, then continually add pages and posts to it!

Thanks for reading!

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2024-03-11 10:42:45

And a new episode! Our heroes finally ascend and confront the necromancer! With... surprising results!

It's now official, I upload on the second monday of the month!

iu_1173905_7136873.png

Response to My Fantasy Webcomic is Up and Running! 2024-04-11 11:55:46

holy heck, another episode is out! With lots of cool skeleton dragon fighting.

iu_1187956_7136873.webp