00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MIXING AND MASTERING CRITICISM NEEDED

234 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

hey guys! i just made a new track today and i want you guys to give me criticism and tips on the mixing and mastering.

im a total noob when it comes to mixing and mastering and i need your guys' help.

Thank you!!!

At 9/18/23 12:58 AM, Aszon wrote: hey guys! i just made a new track today and i want you guys to give me criticism and tips on the mixing and mastering.
im a total noob when it comes to mixing and mastering and i need your guys' help.

Thank you!!!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1247681

The kickdrum does sound pretty wide mixed for my ears, maybe seperating and lowering the side signal could already

fix it. I don't know if it's intentional but the lead synths sound a bit overcompressed for my taste, although it could also be the general plugin or sample sound.

The hats sound very clear for me, eventually they could stand a bit reverb but that's probably just a matter of taste. The pad is mixed well in my opinion, even though lowering the volume at some areas wouldn't be detrimental in my view. Overall, I'd say the mix is honestly pretty decent already and I could imagine listening to this through several devices.

BBS Signature

Response to MIXING AND MASTERING CRITICISM NEEDED 2023-09-18 16:45:30

At 9/18/23 03:19 PM, Liftek wrote:
At 9/18/23 12:58 AM, Aszon wrote: hey guys! i just made a new track today and i want you guys to give me criticism and tips on the mixing and mastering.

Thank you!!!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1247681
The kickdrum does sound pretty wide mixed for my ears, maybe seperating and lowering the side signal could already
fix it. I don't know if it's intentional but the lead synths sound a bit overcompressed for my taste, although it could also be the general plugin or sample sound.
The hats sound very clear for me, eventually they could stand a bit reverb but that's probably just a matter of taste. The pad is mixed well in my opinion, even though lowering the volume at some areas wouldn't be detrimental in my view. Overall, I'd say the mix is honestly pretty decent already and I could imagine listening to this through several devices.

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep this in mind for my next tracks. Appreciate it!

Response to MIXING AND MASTERING CRITICISM NEEDED 2023-09-18 19:28:12

So my main thought is, that kick wants to be SO HUGE!!! It wants to dominate!! The energy of the song is so high, you really need that super thumpy pulsating beat to push the song along. Find room in the mix for it!! Sidechaining, cutting the low end on things that don't need it, and organized multiband compression are the key to the mix you're after.

Also tip: if something just inexplicably sounds vaguely "too loud," cut at 500hz. Pretty good chance it sounds better.

BBS Signature