00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fkkkkkkkkk123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

SerndestArt's Sketchbook

854 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2023-12-04 13:07:44

iu_1125024_18316931.webp

Art Timelapse

BEHIND THE SCENES

TIL: with Krita 5.2.0 & higher, users will have to use the MP4 openh264 preset for timelapse recordings/video encoding.😳 Krita 5.2 is released! - #70 by freyalupen

ART SUPPLIES

• Hardware: Alienware x14 laptop & Huion Inspiroy H610PRO V2 pen tablet
  • Software: Krita (art & timelapse recording)
  • Brushes: (Dig.) Sketching Brush [my custom brush, new version]

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2023-12-04 13:14:33

2023-11-26 Jenny mid-shot

(Sorry, coming up with good artwork titles doesn’t come naturally to me.😥)

From Nov. 26, 2023 1:16 - 2:20 pm

Bangs’s outline thicken: Nov 27. 2023 10:59 - 11:02 am

Right side of mouth finish: … 2:28 - 2:32 pm

iu_1125028_18316931.webp

Quick sketch of Jenny. Started off as me seeing if I could use brushes with pressure- & tilt-controlled size in the Freehand Vector Tool. It wasn't possible, but my scratches warmed me up to a new idea for a sketch.

As for the newer sketch, I went with trying to make her look like someone off-screen is about to tell her something that will be difficult for her to emotionally take.

MINI JOURNAL

As stiff as the pose was to me, I didn’t want to fiddle too much. Wanted to keep it quick, so stuck with only thickening the outline of her bangs & lining the other side of the mouth.

BEHIND THE SCENES

Drawing quality/draftsmanship: While still stiff-looking, I wanted the draftsmanship/drawing quality to be close to what would be a quick storyboard panel from me (at least, in Krita).

Matte method: Also, I did a test of doing a matte manually vs. doing it with Krita’s Colorize Mask.

Between the broad blocks of color & the cleaning up of each matte, the manual fill was the quickest.

Time length:

• Manual fill: 8 minutes --- 2023-11-26 1:35pm - 1:42pm
  • Colorize Mask: 27 minutes --- 2023-11-26 1:43pm - 1:53pm & 2:00pm - 2:17pm

However, it wasn’t due to processing power (the most it would load was about 1 second, and that only happened about 3-5 times). 

One reason was related to the aforementioned drawing-quality/draftsmanship-related advantage for the manual fill: some of my drawing’s lines were not being closed.

Another was a composition/posing advantage: a character in a simple pose like this, with not too many small gaps of negative space, was likely simple enough to manually matte in.

I’d still love to use the Colorize Mask as a close alternative to using (on all layers) the Contiguous Selection Tool, so I’ll likely restrict it to closed, large areas. 

SELF CRITIQUES

• (+) Love how you were able to capture the intended subtle expression with the mouth
  • (-) Torso possibly too upright & stiff
  • (+) Linework starting to get closer to loose but readable

ART SUPPLIES

Hardware: Alienware x14 & Huion Inspiroy H610PRO V2 pen tablet

Software: Krita (art & timelapse)

• Brushes: (Dig.) Clean-Up Lines (Aliased) - linework & manual fills. my custom brush.
  • Tools: Colorize Mask - white matte (Colorize Mask method)

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2023-12-04 15:44:05

At 12/4/23 01:14 PM, SerndestsArt wrote: I’d still love to use the Colorize Mask as a close alternative to using (on all layers) the Contiguous Selection Tool, so I’ll likely restrict it to closed, large areas. 

Iirc, around summer 2022, I was able to control the gap-related parameters of the Colorize Mask. However, I forgot how I did it; that was the last time I used it, since that was back when I didn’t make art weekly/bi-weekly.😥

EDIT: It was the Colorize Mask Tool in the toolbar (the paintbrush surrounded by arrows).😅🤦‍♀️ Found it in this Colorize Mask tutorial.

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2023-12-24 18:20:51

(OLD ART) Jenny poses & animation ideas

From Oct 10, 2022. iirc, across several months.

iu_1134498_18316931.jpgiu_1134499_18316931.jpg

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2024-01-09 07:25:44 (edited 2024-01-09 07:27:58)

At 10/10/23 01:45 AM, shadenlines wrote: Even rough sketches for storyboarding are done with a stylus & tablet, eh?...Moses on a pogo stick, no one uses paper & pencils anymore. (No professional does by now, at least)

Traditional media will go the way of the dodo bird. Now the only question is will it happen in my lifetime, or later...

Is Krita your go-to program for this?

You might’ve missed out on my rough storyboard sketches in my storyboarding sketchbook.🙂

Atm, It has both my old storyboards & my thumbnail sketches for my newer boards. Coincidentally, my newest art response is a small page of traditionally-done thumbnail sketches.😄

As for my preferred media (each list going from most preferred to least):

My thumbnailing go-to media:

1. Traditional — Mechanical pencil/clutch pencil/Fude pen & sketchbook/sheet of paper/sticky notes
  2. Mobile digital (distant 2nd) Adobe Fresco, iPad mini 5, & Apple pencil 1st Gen
  3. Less mobile digital (Far last)Krita, Alienware x14 laptop, & Huion pen tablet

My post-thumbnailing storyboarding & art go-to media 

1. Mobile digital
  2. Less mobile digital
  3. Traditional

Also, while digital may beat traditional in terms of quickly & cleanly making huge drawing changes—when it comes to sudden/quick ideas, nothing beats the quick pick-up time of traditional.🙂 I still keep an analog pocket sketchbook. My experience: great for middle-of the-night/sudden ideas.

My biggest motivation was under point 1. Speed in this StoryboardArt article. https://storyboardart.org/using-sketchbooks/ (Btw, they’re a great feature/TV storyboarding resource. Highly recommend their webinars, articles, & Intro to Storyboarding course.😊👍)

(Sorry for the belated response.🙇‍♀️ I wanted it to be quality over quantity.)

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2024-02-02 16:13:08 (edited 2024-02-02 16:14:47)

At 12/24/23 06:20 PM, SerndestsArt wrote: (OLD ART) Jenny poses & animation ideas
From Oct 10, 2022. iirc, across several months.

Here's the last pic, plus my obligatory (including for my sake😳) descriptions

iu_1156601_18316931.jpg

Art Timelapse

Both standalone doodles/sketches & animation ideas. Tried to get used to Jenny/XJ-9. I remember really struggling to grasp drawing Jenny.

Tbh, due to mainly being exposed to MLaaTR from season 1 clips, I didn't like how stiff her shape language felt at first.😳 However, as someone who's seen a more even spread of chunks across the series: shape language of Jenny season 2 onwards----*chef's kiss*👌.

*Sorry I didn't post for a while in December. Had the 'rona, then a post-viral cough.😷

NOTE TRANSCRIPTIONS

1:

(*) move L pigtail up

2:

[Right middle pose] (*) try to redraw smaller (& w/ foreshortening, if possible)

[Bottom poses:]

[Left bottom] (replacement) bottom maybe

[Middle bottom] [Top L note, pointing] top (our) R, [Top R note, pointing] top front, exaggerate fists inwards

[Right bottom] [pointing] yawn

[Right bottom] [pointing] yawn

3:

[Top right poses] (*) have hands be further down, to add more depth

[Bottom poses, left to right] Animator Pencil 2016

(1) landing from flying, preparing to run

(*) [pointing at legs] make more parallelogram like, or shrink L leg’s upper leg

[Smaller gesture in b/w bigger sketches] in-b/w [in-between. landing & pushing off to run]

[Also in b/w the sketches] [arrow pointing to the left pose. meant to note the 2 as keys]

ART SUPPLIES

• Pencil [Fresco’s default]
  • Animator’s Pencil 2016 + my Tilt [& irc spacing] tweaks - pg3’s bottom, blue sketches

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2024-02-02 16:22:38

(OLD ART) 2023-03-02 Gesture drawings/quick sketches & journal (wow, from ~last year😮)

* Across both pages: journal on having the then-recently read "Farewell Sailor Moon" (WARNING: 18+) Ikuhara zine on the mind.iu_1156610_18316931.webp

NOTE TRANSCRIPTION

Pg1: 2023-03-02 afternoon sketches

[Left sketch] ~4:19pm Gesture draw of girl carrying backpack [On the spot, iirc]

[Right sketch] 4:23-4:26pm Person (not sure if was guy or girl) quickly going by on electric scooter. [another, fuller sketch from memory]

My mind jokingly compared them to Kunihiko Ikuhara! 😄

I’ve got Ikuhara on the mind, since I just finished using Google Translate on the rest of the scans (~[pg] 9 onwards) of that “Farewell Sailor Moon” Comiket booklet Hideako Anno helped make on Ikuhara. After I reorganized the translated text, I read through it.

According to the anime industry figures & Kuma-chan, he really is an entertaining figure! As Kuma put it (well, possibly) he’s like a real-life anime character!

But yeah, it’s a first, having an artistic guy be this fun to research!

Oh, and I guess the person on the scooter’s hair reminded me of Ikuhara because they had similarly long hair.😄[End written time: 4:38pm]

Pg2:

2023-03-07 2:09-2:11pm [boy & girl on the spot & from memory]

2023-03-09 8:59am-9:05am [cat sketches]

ART SUPPLIES

• -Faber Castell TK9400 Clutch pencil & Uni Mitsubishi 2mm lead - F
  • -Pentalic Traveller’s Sketchbook (Pocket)

I'll try my serndest!✊😊

Response to SerndestArt's Sketchbook 2024-02-09 13:39:42 (edited 2024-02-09 13:40:39)

(OLD ART) 2023-02-9 - 11 Geometric cat OC doodles & memory sketch.

iu_1159774_18316931.webp

Did the 1st cat doodle quickly from class. Iirc, I either stopped in a study area, or moved to the side of a pathway.

Memory sketches done after I got home from college. Used more shape-based technique for them.

NOTE TRANSCRIPTION

2/9/23

~10:31 - 10:34am [1st cat OC doodle]

~9:18 - 9:22pm Draw of walking couple from memory

[Bottom draw]

girl’s head → [triangular-styled head]

hand → [v-line]

2/11/23

~9:11 - 9:46pm Gettin’ ready to run/jump [main bottom-middle doodle]

9:14 - 9:16pm [Eyebrows down]

9:16 - 9:19pm [R finger/hand line darken]

9:20 - 9:21pm Whisker placement ideas

(*) [Correct head shape]

ART SUPPLIES

• -Faber Castell TK9400 Clutch pencil & Uni Mitsubishi 2mm lead - F
  • -Pentalic Traveler Artist Sketchbook - 4”x 6” (recycled paper)

I'll try my serndest!✊😊