00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

domvip just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is my art good?

313 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Is my art good? 2023-09-09 11:31:43

Hi, I've made like 44 pieces of art but not 1 person subscribed? Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a link to my art: BoiledMilkz's Art (newgrounds.com)

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-09 16:15:26

Don't use the circle tool, it makes your art look samey.

Enter your signature text...

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-09 16:34:23

At 9/9/23 11:31 AM, BoiledMilkz wrote: Hi, I've made like 44 pieces of art but not 1 person subscribed? Am I doing something wrong?
Here's a link to my art: BoiledMilkz's Art (newgrounds.com0

i think your art is good! You have a nice art style! It just takes some time to grow :)

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-09 21:47:59

"Good" is subjective, however, I highly recommend doing anatomy studies and avoid using the circle tool for the main drawing if you can (I personally use it when setting up a base/skeleton of a drawing for my drawing, though). Currently, your characters look like a mix of Roblox characters and FNF art style.

But overall, I really like your style and I think you're heading in the right direction. Keep at it~

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-09 23:20:36 (edited 2023-09-09 23:22:50)

Yeah. The circle tool used for things like body parts, especially the head, makes the charatcer feel lifeless and stiff. I'd personally go with a potato-shape head instead. That'd give it more depth and defiintion

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-10 05:19:58

The anatomy is really off, the breasts are where the shoulders should be instead of under the arm pit and collar bones. The arms don't reach their pockets, everyone's body shapes like a box of cereal, almost every single piece's setting is a blinding white void, the poses are stiff, their legs are really far apart from another, and the line work is covered with artifacts that should have been erased, the arms and legs are pivoted instead of drawn out and don't bend at the knees or elbows. And it's super flat looking.

All those don't make your art bad it just kills the immersion.

The fastest way to get better is to learn from other artist, I usually love watching tutorials on YouTube they teach me stuff I could have learned from an art college for completely free.

My advice would be to try to draw real people with photos as a reference, to get a better understanding of proportions, search engines photos are how I learned. I just drew randos that were on vacaction.

I know drawing real people may unnecessary for drawing cartoons but learning the little things like how long the upper arm should be, compared to the forearm, and drawing a spine that curves apply to cartoons too, that is if you want to keep the immersion in tact.

Because the human brain is super picky when it comes believability and when even the slightest thing is off like drawing some one with a neck that goes up at 90 degree angle you instantly feel shock or disgust. It's called the uncanny valley.

Learning construction is the back bone to form, why build a tower with no support beams?

Making a rough draft of 3d shapes first helps you to get the form right and get things looking 3d before you add the details and color, which.

YT construction tutorial

Backgrounds can be fun when you know the basics

Point perspective is an optical illusion that makes 2d things look 3d.

It can even be used on your characters basic shapes as well.

One point perspective

Two point perspective

YT tutorial 3 point perspective

There plenty of other things look for too like shading, cast and form shadows, colored lighting and shadows, fluid posing, etc.

Hope this helps.

I make comics checkout my Shuttle Switcher comic series ! And Ghost Galaxy as well!

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-10 05:37:54

At 9/10/23 05:19 AM, thepixelizer wrote: The anatomy is really off, the breasts are where the shoulders should be instead of under the arm pit and collar bones. The arms don't reach their pockets, everyone's body shapes like a box of cereal, almost every single piece's setting is a blinding white void, the poses are stiff, their legs are really far apart from another, and the line work is covered with artifacts that should have been erased, the arms and legs are pivoted instead of drawn out and don't bend at the knees or elbows. And it's super flat looking.

All those don't make your art bad it just kills the immersion.
The fastest way to get better is to learn from other artist, I usually love watching tutorials on YouTube they teach me stuff I could have learned from an art college for completely free.

My advice would be to try to draw real people with photos as a reference, to get a better understanding of proportions, search engines photos are how I learned. I just drew randos that were on vacaction.

I know drawing real people may unnecessary for drawing cartoons but learning the little things like how long the upper arm should be, compared to the forearm, and drawing a spine that curves apply to cartoons too, that is if you want to keep the immersion in tact.

Because the human brain is super picky when it comes believability and when even the slightest thing is off like drawing some one with a neck that goes up at 90 degree angle you instantly feel shock or disgust. It's called the uncanny valley.

Learning construction is the back bone to form, why build a tower with no support beams?
Making a rough draft of 3d shapes first helps you to get the form right and get things looking 3d before you add the details and color, which.
YT construction tutorial

Backgrounds can be fun when you know the basics
Point perspective is an optical illusion that makes 2d things look 3d.
It can even be used on your characters basic shapes as well.
One point perspective
Two point perspective
YT tutorial 3 point perspective

There plenty of other things look for too like shading, cast and form shadows, colored lighting and shadows, fluid posing, etc.
Hope this helps.

Woah, that's a long list. I'll try to do them.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-09-10 07:48:40

Hey, so. Is this an improvement?

iu_1073426_18807359.png

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-12-02 01:54:53

Holy shit I made a thread like this years ago on ng

History really does repeat itself damn

Performer of all, completer of none

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-12-02 04:57:30

Well, you probably know what I'm gonna say you're missing.

I'm pretty critical, I don't consider my own art to be good, so don't worry about where I set the bar for "good."

I think if you want more followers, your main goal should be displaying noticeable effort towards making progress. I've been pretty proud of a few members here that are consistently doing studies and drills to get their fundamentals down; even if their art doesn't always blow me away, I pay close attention because I like tracking how much better they're getting over time. I have to see that effort, though.

Response to Is my art good? 2023-12-02 05:07:36

At 12/2/23 04:57 AM, Skoops wrote: Well, you probably know what I'm gonna say you're missing.
I'm pretty critical, I don't consider my own art to be good, so don't worry about where I set the bar for "good."

I think if you want more followers, your main goal should be displaying noticeable effort towards making progress. I've been pretty proud of a few members here that are consistently doing studies and drills to get their fundamentals down; even if their art doesn't always blow me away, I pay close attention because I like tracking how much better they're getting over time. I have to see that effort, though.

This thread still gets replies? lol I made this back when I first made my account but it is still good advice though!

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Is my art good? 2023-12-02 05:24:30

At 12/2/23 05:07 AM, BoiledMilkz wrote:
At 12/2/23 04:57 AM, Skoops wrote: Well, you probably know what I'm gonna say you're missing.

This thread still gets replies? lol I made this back when I first made my account but it is still good advice though!

Alright, which one of you dingdongs necrobumped and made a monkey out of me?