00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Alternative Sound Systems for REAPER on Windows 10?

262 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello

I am working on some music and I am using REAPER by Clockos. I am only familiar with this DAW, and have no intention of learning others.

I was using WASAPI, and at some point it just.... stopped working. I have tried other systems to no avail. The problem its complaining about is not being able to find the audio out on my GPU..... which is like.... huh?

PH4NT0M117

BBS Signature

You're best off using ASIO. The vast majority of individuals when dealing with any form of audio in a DAW-enviroment use it, regardless of if they're using a dedicated audio interface or just their current onboard hardware.

https://asio4all.org/about/download-asio4all/

Just make sure you setup your inputs 7 outputs according to how you want it to work inside of the ASIO4ALL control panel, make sure it's set as your default in REAPER, and you should be all good.

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to Alternative Sound Systems for REAPER on Windows 10? 2023-09-04 09:23:02

At 9/4/23 07:49 AM, LD-W wrote: You're best off using ASIO. The vast majority of individuals when dealing with any form of audio in a DAW-enviroment use it, regardless of if they're using a dedicated audio interface or just their current onboard hardware.

Just make sure you setup your inputs 7 outputs according to how you want it to work inside of the ASIO4ALL control panel, make sure it's set as your default in REAPER, and you should be all good.

Also the '7' is meant to be an & sign. Can't edit my posts after 30 mins to correct it

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to Alternative Sound Systems for REAPER on Windows 10? 2023-09-04 14:24:26

At 9/4/23 07:49 AM, LD-W wrote: You're best off using ASIO. The vast majority of individuals when dealing with any form of audio in a DAW-enviroment use it, regardless of if they're using a dedicated audio interface or just their current onboard hardware.

I have to install the ASIO driver right?

I'm potentially lifting my setup to a completely batshit structure to avoid this in future, using OSX and linux machines both.

PH4NT0M117

BBS Signature

At 9/4/23 02:24 PM, PH4NT0M117 wrote:

I'm potentially lifting my setup to a completely batshit structure to avoid this in future, using OSX and linux machines both.

Yep, you have to download & install ASIO4ALL to use it (exceptions being with manufacturers who ship 'pro' audio interfaces, who develop their own ASIO drivers specifically for said devices). Pretty straight forward procedure since it pretty much sets the basics of itself up, all you have to do is assign your input & output devices manually, select ASIO4ALL in REAPER as your default input/output, and that's job done.

ASIO's the heavily preferred option for Windows users who are doing DAW-work (mostly with hardware interfaces aswell), where-as MacOS users get the best performance from Core Audio the majority of the time. Linux users seem to be happiest using JACK (with qjackctl to help make the setup easier)

If you are considering going multi-system & muilti-distro though for any reason, how about looking into Audiogridder to keep it relatively easy & free: https://audiogridder.com

BBS Signature

Response to Alternative Sound Systems for REAPER on Windows 10? 2023-09-04 20:14:40

At 9/4/23 03:20 PM, LD-W wrote:
At 9/4/23 02:24 PM, PH4NT0M117 wrote:

Yep, you have to download & install ASIO4ALL to use it (exceptions being with manufacturers who ship 'pro' audio interfaces, who develop their own ASIO drivers specifically for said devices). Pretty straight forward procedure since it pretty much sets the basics of itself up, all you have to do is assign your input & output devices manually, select ASIO4ALL in REAPER as your default input/output, and that's job done.

ASIO's the heavily preferred option for Windows users who are doing DAW-work (mostly with hardware interfaces aswell), where-as MacOS users get the best performance from Core Audio the majority of the time. Linux users seem to be happiest using JACK (with qjackctl to help make the setup easier)

If you are considering going multi-system & muilti-distro though for any reason, how about looking into Audiogridder to keep it relatively easy & free: https://audiogridder.com

Well, so heres what the issue is right. I don't have anything BUT other computers, as well, I'm aware of how to use Core and I actually prefer PipeWire over Jack, though I will admit it has some issues on newer hardware. But, I'm not a windows user, like at all. I know how to use it plug and play, I legit never learned about it even when I was a kid with 98SE. Other than installing drivers with tools and using ninite, all I know is demo discs and W2K / Xp software packs.

What I would be doing is setting up one machine as a switching interface with a Audigy ZS2 and an Audigy Live, on top of whatever is on board (which I would probably not use), using Helvum to do digital wire management like on JACK, and either running REAPER on OSX or on another linux box. The switch box would record, but also allow dumping to my DJ rig and stuff like that.

I'll see about ASIO and get that working as a backup though.

PH4NT0M117

BBS Signature