00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

The7thConqueror just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

novel formatting rules?

296 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

novel formatting rules? 2023-08-26 18:00:26

What are general rules one should follow for formatting a novel, if one was to write one? Most notably, with using conversion to PDF or epub software like pandoc, it's not difficult to get page numbering. But it becomes a pain with doing stuff like alternating header with title of book and author on even/odd pages. Can I just omit that and only have page numbers at the top or bottom of the page? Any other rules of thumb for formatting a novel I should know about?

Response to novel formatting rules? 2023-09-01 10:18:12

At 8/26/23 06:00 PM, lwpage wrote: What are general rules one should follow for formatting a novel, if one was to write one? Most notably, with using conversion to PDF or epub software like pandoc, it's not difficult to get page numbering. But it becomes a pain with doing stuff like alternating header with title of book and author on even/odd pages. Can I just omit that and only have page numbers at the top or bottom of the page? Any other rules of thumb for formatting a novel I should know about?

When I formatted my novelette, I inserted page breaks as opposed to using tab. I also applied paragraph styles for both the chapter headers and the body. For the main body I used 0.25cm indentation for the first line, and Times New Roman font. You can either set it to single spaced or double spaced. I just went with single spaced since I prefer it. For the chapter header I added 72pt spacing before and 12pt spacing after, in order to push the header lower. You could even set it to 90pt if you want it lower. I like my headers bold and centre.

When formatting one should display formatting marks in their Word document, this helps to show how many times you've used tab for example. I hope this helps.

BBS Signature