00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tunedMedic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite

1,151 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 9/30/23 01:56 PM, vlsrb wrote: So, back in July I got the idea for a short comic series (6 chapters) that I very quickly did the entire script for - all that's left is to draw it. I started working on it that same month, but progress has been very slow and I haven't really picked it back up since then. I thought it could be useful to share some of the pages I've finished or semi-finished in order to get some feedback, so here they are:

A big thing I would like to try to do with this comic is to challenge myself, particularly with perspective and backgrounds. Perspective is something I always struggled with and tended to avoid for this very reason. I'm learning to apply the rules but it's a slow process that involves a lot of trial and error and drags out the drawing process to the point where a single page takes me several days of work. It's tricky finding a balance between "I want this to be as perfect as I can make it" and "I'd rather have it finished than perfect".

In any event, what do you think? Any comments, opinions and remarks are more than welcome.

Striving for perfection is the mother of failure. It can be very demoralizing. Besides that, perfect is generally pretty boring.

Does it work? Is it good enough for it's purpose? Then it is good.

The last panel. There is a technical problem with the leg of the table in the lower middle of the panel. Bookshelf, easy chair and table besides the chair are to small compared with everything else.

The main problem though is that there are way to much space in the room. It's a really spacious room, which looks all wrong. Here I have made some adjustments to fix some of those things.

iu_1090009_8016576.png

I have also made the doors a little bit larger, moved the light switches down a bit and added an air-vent above the table top hot plate/oven. I've also "moved the camera" in a bit.

It is a one-point perspective with the vanishing point (vp) in the middle of the panel. The vp doesn't have to be in the middle. Generally a good idea to have the horizont line on the level of a characters eyes. That will put the viewer at the same height as the people in the image.

Going digital makes experimenting with perspective a lot easier. Making a simplified 3D model of a scene, that can be turned, can be a great way to find the best angle to draw a particular scene from.

This is a very good youtube video on using perspective doing comics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcXv_scq6UM

In the 4th panel you have a lady's head seen slightly from behind. To draw her ear in this perspective I would suggest something like this

iu_1090008_8016576.png

Panel 2 is a bit interesting from perspective point of view. It is not a linear perspective. But it is in a form of axonometric perspective (sometimes called Chines perspective). Mixing those two types of perspectives in an image would be unlikely to work, but having them in different panels might well work. Here I think it works fine.

The bicycle; there are a number of problems with that. This is an object that can be surprisingly difficult to draw well.

Your image still works OK:ish. It is a guy on a bike - not problem with that - , but it does look a bit off. From story telling point of view, a plain side view would work just as well, and it would be a lot easier to get that right.

I understand that you are trying to push your limits, but that might not be the place to do it.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2023-10-01 09:10:27

@PerKGrok For the umpteenth time in this thread, thank you for posting such a thorough, helpful reply.

Regarding the panel with the room, it was a nightmare to draw. I honestly can't remember how long it took me to just sketch it out - "too long" is probably the best answer. As you noticed, I tried to simplify things for myself as much as I could by doing a one-point perspective with the vanishing point dead center on the horizon line. In preparation for drawing this comic I made a 2D plan of the entire apartment with the size and layout of objects marked so I had reference points that could help me keep everything consistent as the comic went on. I used these reference points to determine special vanishing points so I could place all the furniture, but things got more difficult with the chair because it was 1) not touching a wall, and 2) placed at an oblique angle. Somewhere in trying to make everything work perspective-wise I clearly lost the plot. Looking at your corrections, it's so obvious that the chair is too small and that the camera should have been pulled in closer. You live and you learn I guess.

Yeah, I'm sure a 3D digital model of a scene would be a lifesaver. Unfortunately, 3D modelling is something I know nothing about, and I'm not sure I really have time to invest in learning the basics of it right now. Thank you for the video link! My main source on perspective drawing is a book called "Perspective drawing handbook" by Joseph D'Amelio, but I suppose there are plenty other tutorials to work with.

Not much to say regarding the bicycle other than I hate drawing bicycles and vehicles in general. In hindsight, it was probably not a good idea to challenge myself with a perspective drawing of something that I don't draw that well to begin with, as you said yourself.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback, I appreciate the time and effort that went into your reply.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2023-11-25 12:37:57

A few days ago, I finished my entry for the Sweet Sixteen Comic Contest. I feel like this is something that warrants an update of my personal art thread, since I feel proud of myself for taking on the challenge, committing to the process and actually finishing everything before the deadline. I also thought it would be nice to somehow acknowledge the process itself, so let's do a little before-and-after.

Here is my rough draft of the first two pages:

iu_1120109_18589287.webp

This is something I did in a plain notebook to lay out the panels, word balloons and art so that I had a general idea of what goes where. In this stage it's also easy to make adjustments if you feel like something needs to be addressed before you actually start working on the pages. Personally, this is how I almost always approach making comics. Going in without a rough draft like this - or a written script at the very least - is like stepping into a dark cave without a map or flashlight.

Here are completed versions of the same two pages:

iu_1120110_18589287.webp

You can see that I don't follow the rough draft to a T (i.e. the first panel is seen from a different angle compared to the early version), but when it comes to what panels, words and dialogue go on each page, I stick to it closely. This guarantees that everything will fit into the imposed page limit, which was obviously important for the contest.

If you liked these two pages and feel like reading the whole comic, be my guest:

Any commentary, critique and opinion is more than welcome!

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2023-11-26 11:36:04

After finishing my comic contest entry, it feels good to be able to ease back into a more leisurely way of making art. I'm currently working on three drawings that were on the back-burner, but I'm taking my time and not seizing every available window of opportunity to work on them. Definitely a nice change of pace. Here's a WIP of one of the drawings:

iu_1120741_18589287.webp

Any and all feedback/critique is more than welcome. Right now the plan is to keep working on the three drawings until I'm confident I'll finish them, and then take the plunge and give the Collabinator a try - that should be fun!

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2023-12-03 11:30:26

And here's the finished version of the WIP above:

iu_1124469_18589287.webp

I tried to have fun with this one. I used a photo of myself as a reference and played around with watercolor pencils. I'm pretty happy with it, while acknowledging that it could have turned out better. Any feedback/critique is more than welcome!

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2023-12-10 15:01:50

Something a bit different this time:

iu_1127941_18589287.webp

Inspired by where I am in life at the moment, I just felt the need to put it to paper. Any comments and feedback would be much appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-01-03 12:50:24

My first art post of 2024!

iu_1140402_18589287.webp

Since this is basically a tribute piece to a musical act very dear to me, I'll copy-paste the description for more context:

Majid Jordan are a duo made up of singer Majid Al Maskati (upper right) and producer Jordan Ullman (lower left). I started exploring their discography last summer and it was very much love at first listen. I've been spending a lot of time with their music lately, and given my current state of mind it's been almost therapeutic - songs like "King City", "Forget about the party" and "Life worth living" literally brought tears to my eyes. The idea to do this drawing came about pretty spontaneously as a way to bring my appreciation of the duo and their music to life. The two skylines hold special significance: to the left, Toronto, where Majid and Jordan met, and to the right Manama, the capital city of Bahrain, the country where Majid is originally from.

This was, of course, pretty challenging considering my current skill level. Drawing actual people and getting their facial features right is never easy. As far as achieving likeness goes, it could be much better, but I'm glad I gave it my best shot and finished this piece. Hope you like it.

And, of course, the obligatory final clause: all critique/commentary/feedback is very much welcome and appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-01-13 13:14:50

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Behold, my first piece of Pokémon fan art:

iu_1146256_18589287.webp

What can I say - I just love this lil' guy.

If you have any comments, critique or feedback, lay 'em on me!

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-02-05 12:32:11

Hew art ahoy:

iu_1157990_18589287.webp

And let's just copy-paste the description like the lazy sack of potatoes that I am:

So I recently finished reading I think our son is gay, a five volume manga by Okura about a teenage boy who's basically in a glass closet, and his mother who is fully aware that he's gay but is trying to be as nurturing and supportive without him realizing that she knows. It's a delightfully wholesome story with lots of sweet moments and some nice character development, so if you're interested in that kind of thing I recommend you read it (and if you're reading it or plan to do so, some mild spoilers ahead).

I enjoyed the manga a lot so I wanted to do some fan art of Hiroki, the titular son and protagonist. Since he shows an interest in dancing at one point in the story (and turns out to be pretty good at it), I decided to draw him a few years after the manga's conclusion, more confident in his skills and eager to show them off. A few references were necessary for this one, both for the pose and the jacket and footwear, but I had a blast making this, especially while coloring. Hope you like it!

Comments and feedback are, as ever, most appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-02-05 19:06:03

At 2/5/24 12:32 PM, vlsrb wrote: Hew art ahoy:

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/vlsrb/i-think-our-son-is-a-dancer

And let's just copy-paste the description like the lazy sack of potatoes that I am:

So I recently finished reading I think our son is gay, a five volume manga by Okura about a teenage boy who's basically in a glass closet, and his mother who is fully aware that he's gay but is trying to be as nurturing and supportive without him realizing that she knows. It's a delightfully wholesome story with lots of sweet moments and some nice character development, so if you're interested in that kind of thing I recommend you read it (and if you're reading it or plan to do so, some mild spoilers ahead).

I enjoyed the manga a lot so I wanted to do some fan art of Hiroki, the titular son and protagonist. Since he shows an interest in dancing at one point in the story (and turns out to be pretty good at it), I decided to draw him a few years after the manga's conclusion, more confident in his skills and eager to show them off. A few references were necessary for this one, both for the pose and the jacket and footwear, but I had a blast making this, especially while coloring. Hope you like it!

Comments and feedback are, as ever, most appreciated.

soup!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-03-09 11:10:16

Recently came across a very old line drawing and decided to try shading it with pencils, in light of some very helpful comments I got when I requested critique of my art. Here's the result:

iu_1173067_18589287.webp

If you have any thoughts or comments to share on it, I'd love to hear 'em.

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-03-09 17:10:38

At 3/9/24 11:10 AM, vlsrb wrote: Recently came across a very old line drawing and decided to try shading it with pencils, in light of some very helpful comments I got when I requested critique of my art. Here's the result:

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/vlsrb/sitting-on-the-past

If you have any thoughts or comments to share on it, I'd love to hear 'em.

Very nice. Good idea. Well executed.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-04-16 13:53:32

Came across the KinitoPET Collab and thought it would be fun to join in. Here's what I came up with:

iu_1190317_18589287.webp

Will probably make more sense if you've heard of the game or played it yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-05-01 04:37:12

And now for something a bit different:

iu_1197043_18589287.webp

A couple of years ago I came up with a concept for a story set in a dystopian future timeline where the proliferation of AI has changed the way we build cities and made them unlivable for human beings. In this era, there exists a secluded expanse of nature called the Arena, whose participants compete in a game invented by the obscenely wealthy as their personal entertainment in a pointless world. The rules of the Arena are simple: for each day survived, you earn money depending on your rank. Participants go up in rank by interacting with each other, their conflicts serving to determine a hierarchy. Most participants are Gifted, possessing unique and often powerful abilities. Once you kill a participant, everything they earned is transferred into your account. Upon entering the Arena you are an unranked pledge, and the bounty on your head is disproportionately high. Should you survive long enough, you may enter the group of 24 ranked participants. Where you go from there depends on why you chose to enter the Arena and how you intend to play the game.

After seeing a fascinating video about the vast world of fake video games, I started thinking of this story as an actual game meant to be played. The player would start as a pledge and progress down numerous available paths by fighting other characters, forming alliances, or forging actual relationships. Depending on the choices and outcomes, the game would lead to various endings – some of them as happy as possible for this setting, some of them bleak.

If the game existed, this would be a page from its guide, describing one of the NPCs you can encounter and interact with. Bogdan is one of my favorite characters from this story, and while drawing him I took the opportunity to work on posing that feels less stiff and more natural by relying on a reference image. Definitely like how this turned out overall. I already have ideas for other pages describing other characters.

If you have any thoughts or comments on it, don't hesitate to share them!

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-05-18 15:22:47

I did an art trade!

iu_1205769_18589287.webp

The character belongs to the very talented @Tattadosan. This art trade was a great opportunity to practice 1) female anatomy, and 2) shading, which is one of my weakest points.

Happy to hear what you think about it, as always.

BBS Signature

Response to Come to vlsrb's art thread, I don't bite 2024-06-02 07:51:58

I wanted to get this one finished and posted before May was over but I had a busy week so today will have to do:

iu_1214125_18589287.webp

This is a tribute-of-sorts to Baby Lasagna, who represented Croatia in this year's Eurovision Song Contest with "Rim Tim Tagi Dim". If you haven't seen the performance by now, you should definitely watch it. The drawing will make a lot more sense when you do.

Comments and critique are welcome as always!

BBS Signature