00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YubaOfficial just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

PSA: Don't use Godot 4 for web (yet)

971 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Even though Godot 4 is an official release now (not in alpha or beta testing anymore), currently the Godot 4.0 docs say the following.

Attention

Godot 4's HTML5 exports currently cannot run on macOS and iOS due to upstream bugs with SharedArrayBuffer and WebGL 2.0. We recommend using macOS and iOS native export functionality instead, as it will also result in better performance.

Godot 3's HTML5 exports are more compatible with various browsers in general, especially when using the GLES2 rendering backend (which only requires WebGL 1.0).

I tested it out with a minimal Godot 4.0.3 HTML5 export uploaded to NG, and verified that it plays fine from my Windows lappy but doesn't run at all and just gives an error screen about cross origin array buffers or some crap if I try to run it from a browser on an iPad.

Godot 3.5 and probably 3.6 work fine though, so continue to use those.

However, if I'm wrong about that and Godot 4 web exports can be made to work on Apple stuff, or if at any point in the future anyone notices that Godot 4 HTML5 exports start being able to run from Apple stuff, then plz post here and/or ping me (which posting here will do) because I modified the code for the Newgrounds API Godot implementation to work with Godot 4 and confirmed that it can do everything including cloudsaving correctly (if you run it from Windows). I can post that Godot 4 code, but for now I'm holding off because posting API code for a version that won't work on the web for a lot of people would be trolly.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to PSA: Don't use Godot 4 for web (yet) 2023-07-22 16:49:20

Could anyone with a mac lemme know if this game runs for you?

It says in the Developer Tools window it was made in Godot 4.1, and got frontpaged and didn't have comments of "Game won't run 0/5 stars", so maybe it works? I can't test it on my iPad 'cuz it's not mobile friendly and I'm too Windows to try to make the iPad think it's a laptop.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to PSA: Don't use Godot 4 for web (yet) 2023-07-23 21:21:58

At 7/22/23 04:49 PM, 3p0ch wrote: Could anyone with a mac lemme know if this game runs for you?
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/890832
It says in the Developer Tools window it was made in Godot 4.1, and got frontpaged and didn't have comments of "Game won't run 0/5 stars", so maybe it works? I can't test it on my iPad 'cuz it's not mobile friendly and I'm too Windows to try to make the iPad think it's a laptop.

on mac the loading bar won't finish and it says this in console

Godot Engine v4.1.stable.official.970459615 - https://godotengine.org index.js:14096:16

OpenGL API OpenGL ES 3.0 (WebGL 2.0) - Compatibility - Using Device: [privacy hidden] index.js:14096:16

USER WARNING: Invalid mix rate of 0, consider reassigning setting 'audio/driver/mix_rate'. index.js:14111:18

Defaulting mix rate to value 44100. index.js:14111:18

at: _get_configured_mix_rate (servers/audio_server.cpp:125) index.js:14111:18

index.js:14096:16

Blocking on the main thread is very dangerous, see https://emscripten.org/docs/porting/pthreads.html#blocking-on-the-main-browser-thread

BBS Signature

Response to PSA: Don't use Godot 4 for web (yet) 2023-07-25 12:42:44

I prefer using godot 3 anyway as godot 4.0 came out right as I was learning the basics of godot and all the tutorials were for godot 3. Also there's a couple features missing (most notably the lack of webm import fo the video player) which is why I haven't made the switch yet, and the fact I'm currently coding a big game in godot 3 that would be a pain in the ass to convert.

BBS Signature

Response to PSA: Don't use Godot 4 for web (yet) 2023-07-30 12:54:10

At 6/27/23 01:48 AM, 3p0ch wrote: Even though Godot 4 is an official release now (not in alpha or beta testing anymore), currently the Godot 4.0 docs say the following.

Attention
Godot 4's HTML5 exports currently cannot run on macOS and iOS due to upstream bugs with SharedArrayBuffer and WebGL 2.0. We recommend using macOS and iOS native export functionality instead, as it will also result in better performance.
Godot 3's HTML5 exports are more compatible with various browsers in general, especially when using the GLES2 rendering backend (which only requires WebGL 1.0).

I tested it out with a minimal Godot 4.0.3 HTML5 export uploaded to NG, and verified that it plays fine from my Windows lappy but doesn't run at all and just gives an error screen about cross origin array buffers or some crap if I try to run it from a browser on an iPad.

Godot 3.5 and probably 3.6 work fine though, so continue to use those.

However, if I'm wrong about that and Godot 4 web exports can be made to work on Apple stuff, or if at any point in the future anyone notices that Godot 4 HTML5 exports start being able to run from Apple stuff, then plz post here and/or ping me (which posting here will do) because I modified the code for the Newgrounds API Godot implementation to work with Godot 4 and confirmed that it can do everything including cloudsaving correctly (if you run it from Windows). I can post that Godot 4 code, but for now I'm holding off because posting API code for a version that won't work on the web for a lot of people would be trolly.

cripe