00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ragdollchewy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Not sure how to outline my stuff.

392 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've been trying to work out how I want to outline my art and could do with some advice. I've mentioned before that I want to emulate the vector graphics of Flash files, but I don't know if outlining with Clip Studio Paint's G-Pen is working out for me. I kinda like the pencil outline.

iu_986767_15607817.webp

I should mention I also studied some other fanart/fan works in the South Park style, looking at things like angles, shading, and outlines, to try and work out my own take on the style. References below:

^ Significant amount of smooth outlines, almost everything is outlined

^ Only outlines certain details

Roots by niels827 - Barely any outlines

South Park - Cool Car by MrScaryJoe - Barely any outlines

SP by Un-Genesis - Everything is outlined

Abby Ref and kenny by aq1218 - Everything is outlined roughly like a sketch

Thoughts?

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-03 07:00:42

I like the gouache one most.

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-03 09:13:43

I was gonna say, doesn't South Park not use outlines? If you're developing your own approach, I'd advise that it has less to do with your tool and more how you plan to use it.

Experimentation can help shake a few ideas loose, but in general I'd say decide on what you want it to look like first, then figure out how to get there. All of CSP's brushes are customizable, so you can get a particular look and feel several different ways; none of them will be magic.

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-03 10:50:01

At 6/3/23 09:13 AM, Skoops wrote: I was gonna say, doesn't South Park not use outlines? If you're developing your own approach, I'd advise that it has less to do with your tool and more how you plan to use it.
Experimentation can help shake a few ideas loose, but in general I'd say decide on what you want it to look like first, then figure out how to get there. All of CSP's brushes are customizable, so you can get a particular look and feel several different ways; none of them will be magic.

South Park doesn't really use outlines; it's mainly to add details to characters and objects.

iu_986915_15607817.webp

For example, Kyle isn't outlined, but his coat pockets are.

Since I want my work to look like an .SWF, I should probably return to the G-Pen (without pressure settings so that I get consistent line weights), and experiment with different weights like in the video you linked.

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-04 07:51:31

At 6/3/23 09:13 AM, Skoops wrote: I was gonna say, doesn't South Park not use outlines? If you're developing your own approach, I'd advise that it has less to do with your tool and more how you plan to use it.

I just went over it while trying out line weights...

iu_987595_15607817.webp

...and I kinda like it. For some reason it's giving me 2000s web comic/animation vibes, which helps with the look that I'm going for. Customising the G-Pen to disable pressure and enable post correction really helped. Thanks for the suggestions.

After some more work...

iu_997161_15607817.webp

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-16 23:52:38

The pencil seems to look interesting nice character work here

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-17 12:24:07

At 6/16/23 11:52 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: The pencil seems to look interesting nice character work here

~X~

Thanks for the feedback. I may return to pencil outlines if I want to do something with a rougher look.

Instead of emulating graphics like of a Flash file. Why not simply make your graphics in a flash file?

It might take a lot of fiddling around to learn how to make animations and games in Flash. But making characters in South Park style should be a cakewalk with Flash.

And maybe if you want to complete the style, look for some images of paper textures and use that as like a fill-color or mask effect, then color over it.

Response to Not sure how to outline my stuff. 2023-06-18 10:37:35

At 6/18/23 04:58 AM, Guidodinho wrote: Instead of emulating graphics like of a Flash file. Why not simply make your graphics in a flash file?
It might take a lot of fiddling around to learn how to make animations and games in Flash. But making characters in South Park style should be a cakewalk with Flash.
And maybe if you want to complete the style, look for some images of paper textures and use that as like a fill-color or mask effect, then color over it.

I don't have the software to make one.