00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any good free guitar VSTs?

564 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-05-22 22:07:55

Hey! Small time musician here. I'm currently trying to find some good free electric guitar VSTs or maybe even soundfonts for stuff like metal. I have Guitar Rig 5 and a soundfont that includes a few basic guitar sounds but no matter what I use for those I can never make em sound good (then again I'm not too experienced with guitar effects and stuff like that so that might be one of the reasons.)

Anyways to keep it short, a good free guitar VST or even a soundfont for metal music. Any suggestions?

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-05-23 06:12:44

for stuff like metal

Don't have this kind of stuff. I used Spicy Guitar for this (even if it's used for acoustics) and tried to put some effects on it, and it was pretty decent. Maybe it's worth trying it.

BBS Signature

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-05-23 14:39:55

Ample sound has some nice free acoustic guitars

Ample sound

And impact Soundworks has an electric and bass guitar.

but I think you need Kontakt for those...

Shreddage Soundworks

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-05-24 04:31:07

Guitar vsts typically sound pretty awful (even the fancy expensive ones). If I were you I’d just lean into the fakeness of it and use synths to do guitar-y things. It’ll sound more badass making a non guitar shred than getting something that is supposed to sound like a guitar, but doesn’t.

I'm a composer. I'll make music for you.

Visit my site for my portfolio!

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-05-24 09:21:53

At 5/24/23 04:31 AM, sleepFacingWest wrote: Guitar vsts typically sound pretty awful (even the fancy expensive ones). If I were you I’d just lean into the fakeness of it and use synths to do guitar-y things. It’ll sound more badass making a non guitar shred than getting something that is supposed to sound like a guitar, but doesn’t.

I agree but that IMO really applies to acoustic guitars. In terms of the vsti electrics, what you're saying was true 15 years ago. Nowadays, virtual electric guitar got really good and with the right amount of distortion, they can sound convincing as hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-05-24 18:36:21

At 5/24/23 09:21 AM, CzySzy wrote: with the right amount of distortion, they can sound convincing as hell.

It really depends on what you're doing. If you're just looking for palm mute chugs and some power chords, the vst should be okay but I've bought a bunch of modern sometimes very expensive virtual guitar instruments and haven't been super impressed with much. Some of the AmpleSound stuff is okay (their acoustic guitars are pretty impressive), but you're generally limited to using it precisely how it was designed to be used. Most of the special techniques like tremolo, slides, vibrato, whammy, etc are all pre-recorded so you have to write around the samples. To each their own, but my experience is that at best, software guitars are okay for background use. If you're doing a guitar-centric project like metal where there are possibly multiple rhythm guitars and lead guitars, it's going to get really "royalty free music"y quickly. If the goal is 'good enough' then that is good enough, but if you could potentially make a legit radio banger if you decide to do something inspired by guitars but is very obviously not trying to hide the fact that it is a synth. That said, I'm often wrong about stuff and it's just as likely that my production technique just sucks.

I'm a composer. I'll make music for you.

Visit my site for my portfolio!

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-06-05 13:19:20

At 5/24/23 04:31 AM, sleepFacingWest wrote: Guitar vsts typically sound pretty awful (even the fancy expensive ones). If I were you I’d just lean into the fakeness of it and use synths to do guitar-y things. It’ll sound more badass making a non guitar shred than getting something that is supposed to sound like a guitar, but doesn’t.

Yea honestly, right now it might be my best bet. I've seen a few other comments here saying that some VSTs (outside of stuff like acoustic) that try to replicate guitars don't sound too good.

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-07-30 18:02:46

i've used east west guitars which is one of the fancy expensive guitar VST's and while they sound fine you can only really do so much with them. wouldn't be good for a punk mockup cause it would end up sounding like a MIDI more than an actual punk song due to the synthy nature of it. they make for great leads though.

i suggest taking like a basic electric piano/wurlitzer/organ sound and distorting it and adding other effects to make it sound kinda like an electric guitar. you can do much more interesting things on that

signature

BBS Signature

Response to Any good free guitar VSTs? 2023-08-01 17:18:16

Best free option for metal guitars for me is Sforzando + Metal-GTX. As with all sampled guitars, it sounds MIDI-esque but imo it's the best free option out there