00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tunedMedic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tapestoppa's Musical Journey

444 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello there, greeings, I'm Tapestoppa, some of you may have known me under the name of aakase a long time ago and I make electronic and soundtrack music, ranging from house, trance dubstep and whatever else, I'm always wanting to try out one of those crazy genres within that umbrella of music.

My Inspiration comes from the Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger soundtracks and the artists of Mozart, deadmau5, Dada Life, Eric Prydz, Benga, Coki, Infected Mushroom, Barrington Levy, John Dahlback, Caspa and Rusko!

A little background information about me:

• I grew up in an African American family that consists of Engineers, Educators and Doctors, and whatever other careers that are in the STEM field. I'm the very first one who's an artist.
  • I started without any musical experience with any real instruments like a guitar or piano, let alone music theory itself, I go by ear. Scratch that, I started with absolutely no experience with anything regarding music, just a scrappy kid with his laptop and cheap speakers, figuring how to make things work.
  • Never had any professional training, I taught myself how to work with music and trained my ears.
  • I occasionally dj.

This is the beginning of everything.

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

Here are a couple more remixes and an original track and the stories of how they've come to life.

Getting Smokes was a part of the Sonny Moore Dating Simulator soundtrack (One acronym: Lmfao). One day the people who ran the game, profile etc asked me if I was up to remixing it. I couldn't turn it down of course so I went through it's process. I got inspired by classical music, LSDream and one of Porter Robinson's old tracks (I'm on fire) and made an dubsteppish electro house and orchestral track, nothing too special here.

Little did I know this was going to be the most stressful thing I've done music wise.

For a remix that was supposed to be for a silly game ended up being the most greuling out of them all. I stayed up for a lot of late nights, had finals, tests and a stupid amount of homework being thrown at me in the process and I was probably at my lowest during this time.

The remix of Dieswyx's Insert Coin Again was made in the summer before the first mini hiatus (2 weeks iirc) from music, I took a wild turn and mashed together a ton of genres, pulling elements from videogame soundtracks,psytrance, techno, rock, throwing tribal elements in it and some other niche subgenres. I even did a genre I've never made before which was hardwave. The mixing is a bit off due to me not being able to hear the playback well on my old computer, which was crackling, lagging and all that junk. With the new one I probably could clean up the mixing a bit more, maybe sometime later.

The Evacuation remix was made a month after the Insert Coin again remix and guess how I got the inspiration? Telling my friend who made it that it sounded like pirate music and decided to make it pirate themed, can't forget the silly pirate Dialogue. Shiver me timbers! I got inspired by a lot of movie soundtracks such as pirates of the carribean, avatar, etc and folk music and let it guide my hand in the form of making psytrance and dubstep.

Like the last one, I had a ton of technical difficulties working with this one, from the computer crashing, crackling and just a bunch of other complications I can't list from the top of my head. After this remix I ended up finding my love for the accordion.

The most recent one, Zoned Out was made shortly after the Evacuation remix, originally for Dj Chidow's 40 years of House Collab, thanks @troisnyx and @bbank for letting me know about this event. This was actually meant to be made all the way in January when my buddy @SivKyne sent some vocals over as a test run. Knowing myself, i obviously wanted to do something bigger than that and I was already bogged with a bunch of stuff already. After all that stuff was cleared, I was incredibly drained, still kept going and did those 2 previous remixes anyway.

However, the process of making this track was very funny.

When I was notified about this and started on the project (for the love of your sanity tape chill out, eat something and sit down somewhere!) it was near the time I were to go to a week long football camp and the deadline was due in a week! You know good and well I'm not gonna say imma do something than back down the last second. So my crazy self snuck my laptop to the camp and worked on it on some cheap headphones, late into the night and when we were free. Around the beginning it wasn't looking too pretty but then in the back of my head I remembered I had some vocals to experiment with, and therefore I got to playing around with Siv's vocals and using it as a synth.

Afterwards I was making some good progress. When i got home I saw a light at the end of the tunnel and got it relatively cleaned up to be part of the mix, I had more ideas even after it was posted and this was around the time I had my laptop sent to the repair store for 3 months! Thankfully the old thing was messed up beyond repair and got a better one, which meant I could hear the mix 10x more clearly! The moment I got everything set I went back to the project and made it even better than it was before. Added more variation such as the accordion, sick leads, and more things to make it sound nicer.

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

Response to Tapestoppa's Musical Journey 2023-12-05 01:02:05

Now that my mind's on it I should go about writing the tales of the first three here.

Visionary's remix was started late of 2022, also the first Melodinumbra track I remixed. I was still working a lot in progressive house since it was that genre I was best at during the time! I think this was one of the ones I made right on the line where I was starting to burn out. To be honest it sounds more like a house/dub mix than an actual remix. Listening to it now, I think its alright but I can and have done better things than this.

@Ezeurr's pyramid was another track that had a really ugly start, so ugly that I had to set it aside for a while and work on other projects to build some inspiration... and skill. April, 2022 was when i started it, I couldn't churn out ideas for it so trying to work on it then would've just resulted in me spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere. Fast forward to somewhere around December or January of 2023, I went back to it with better skills and with my big obsession for 2008-esque Electro/blog house still alive and well, everything fell together nicely, this was probably the most satisfying project I've worked on. Combining Funk elements, House and some Dubstep, the Winter-themed Pyramid remix was born!

Greetz to the beginning of my frequent burnouts and spontaneous moments of stress while making music.

As fun and energetic, weird and cool Greetz sounded, it was another stressful track to make.

Greetz was started I believe not too long after the Pyramid remix was made and it also didnt go too well, it was really repetitive and sounded like those old youtube tutorial background musics. I almost scrapped it. Then, I remembered that @local-rando asked me if I was up to collaborate with him and I found that as a perfect opportunity, as it was one of the very first collaborations I have ever done! I then overhauled the entire track and made it better after hearing Warp's additions to it gave it a flow. While that was nice and all, we were both intensely busy outside of music, dealing with school finals etc so we had many delays and thats just excluding my horrid hardware.

Not too far later there was a compilation for an album that we were trying to get into, we didn't make it but we did get into something nicer, as part of comp ep in one of my friends' collectives and teamwork experience! This was incredibly nerve racking because we were just on the line of the deadline. It had many mixing errors and stuff so I was a tad bit glad that we didnt make it so I could work on it more, looking back at it. Thanks to this project, it increased my interest in psytrance and the production of it, as heard in a few of my remixes!

I had a tendency of cramming a lot of tracks in due to my ambition of having a massive discography like a lot of my favorite musicians such as John Dahlback and deadmau5 and out of spite, I learned that doing what i was doing was not the way to go the hard way. As of now I have been taking my time with my creative process, while working spontaneously.

BBS Signature

Response to Tapestoppa's Musical Journey 2023-12-05 05:56:26

I must say your profile pic tugged my heart strings. :D

iu_1125325_3945050.png

I'll check out your music later. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Tapestoppa's Musical Journey 2023-12-05 13:25:08

At 12/5/23 05:56 AM, CzySzy wrote: I must say your profile pic tugged my heart strings. :D

I'll check out your music later. ;)

Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Tapestoppa's Musical Journey 2023-12-06 11:07:15

Pyramid really needed fixing lol, I've improved a lot since 2020. Still, such an amazing remix, good job <3

Response to Tapestoppa's Musical Journey 2023-12-06 12:53:17

At 12/6/23 11:07 AM, Ezeurr wrote: Pyramid really needed fixing lol, I've improved a lot since 2020. Still, such an amazing remix, good job <3

Thank you! <3

BBS Signature

At 12/5/23 01:02 AM, Tapestoppa wrote: Now that my mind's on it I should go about writing the tales of the first three here.

Visionary's remix was started late of 2022, also the first Melodinumbra track I remixed. I was still working a lot in progressive house since it was that genre I was best at during the time! I think this was one of the ones I made right on the line where I was starting to burn out. To be honest it sounds more like a house/dub mix than an actual remix. Listening to it now, I think its alright but I can and have done better things than this.

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1200342

@Ezeurr's pyramid was another track that had a really ugly start, so ugly that I had to set it aside for a while and work on other projects to build some inspiration... and skill. April, 2022 was when i started it, I couldn't churn out ideas for it so trying to work on it then would've just resulted in me spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere. Fast forward to somewhere around December or January of 2023, I went back to it with better skills and with my big obsession for 2008-esque Electro/blog house still alive and well, everything fell together nicely, this was probably the most satisfying project I've worked on. Combining Funk elements, House and some Dubstep, the Winter-themed Pyramid remix was born!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1193809

Greetz to the beginning of my frequent burnouts and spontaneous moments of stress while making music.

As fun and energetic, weird and cool Greetz sounded, it was another stressful track to make.

Greetz was started I believe not too long after the Pyramid remix was made and it also didnt go too well, it was really repetitive and sounded like those old youtube tutorial background musics. I almost scrapped it. Then, I remembered that @local-rando asked me if I was up to collaborate with him and I found that as a perfect opportunity, as it was one of the very first collaborations I have ever done! I then overhauled the entire track and made it better after hearing Warp's additions to it gave it a flow. While that was nice and all, we were both intensely busy outside of music, dealing with school finals etc so we had many delays and thats just excluding my horrid hardware.

Not too far later there was a compilation for an album that we were trying to get into, we didn't make it but we did get into something nicer, as part of comp ep in one of my friends' collectives and teamwork experience! This was incredibly nerve racking because we were just on the line of the deadline. It had many mixing errors and stuff so I was a tad bit glad that we didnt make it so I could work on it more, looking back at it. Thanks to this project, it increased my interest in psytrance and the production of it, as heard in a few of my remixes!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1210268

I had a tendency of cramming a lot of tracks in due to my ambition of having a massive discography like a lot of my favorite musicians such as John Dahlback and deadmau5 and out of spite, I learned that doing what i was doing was not the way to go the hard way. As of now I have been taking my time with my creative process, while working spontaneously.

Happy New Year! As I was digging through my files, I found Greetz before it became finalized and pretty! You can hear the rough start I had with the track here. Repetitive and all that bad stuff. I decided to post it because I thought it sounded a little cool. If you like, let me know how it sounds!

BBS Signature