00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SweetDandy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Coming Up Next

6,781 Views | 90 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 09:01:24

At 5/20/23 08:01 AM, TomFulp wrote: Ongoing projects have stretched out longer than anticipated but here’s an update!

Phase Two of our playlist improvements is complete and will be rolling out on Monday. It’s another relatively small change that’s part of a bigger picture, stop by Monday to see the progress!

Our big Art Portal update was originally intended to go live Monday but because it won’t be ready and because there are things coming up that would make for bad launch timing, the release plan has been pushed back to June 7th.

Question for Musicians

Newgrounds has long styled Audio thumbnails to look like a compact disc. This formatting has a certain charm but has also become dated. Would you prefer that we change audio thumbnails to a square, where your entire thumbnail image is visible, or are you attached to the CD iconography?

Movie Trailers

On the topic of Coming Up Next, check out these trailers for upcoming animated films!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884446
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884448
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884447
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884649
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884603
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884861

Other News

Flash Forward Jam winners were announced last Saturday.

We’re hosting an Eddsworld Charity Art Contest. Entries will be posted on June 6th to celebrate Edd’s life and the 20 year anniversary of his first movie on NG.

Piconjo Day is June 9th.

The Art Inspired Music Contest deadline is June 19th.

June 23rd is the Too Many Games Meetup in PA.

Winners of the Treasure Hunt and Pico Day are also coming up!

Will General forum be brought back or have a replacement?

Because I miss using the general forums to talk to fellow Newgrounders and it's was a nice way to socialize and talk with fellow Newgrounders- Helped me alot meeting and knowing nice people because of it- :')

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 09:28:35

Phew! With so much coming down the pipeline, I think I'm safe from an in-promptu Hollow Knight contest, should Silksong come out "before June 12"

... right?

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 09:38:53

At 5/21/23 09:28 AM, HenLP wrote: Phew! With so much coming down the pipeline, I think I'm safe from an in-promptu Hollow Knight contest, should Silksong come out "before June 12"

... right?

Ooh that is tempting... We've also been talking about something for Street Fighter 6 but any art contests would likely wait until after the Eddsworld charity event / launch of the big Art Portal update.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 10:05:06

At 5/21/23 09:38 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/21/23 09:28 AM, HenLP wrote: Phew! With so much coming down the pipeline, I think I'm safe from an in-promptu Hollow Knight contest, should Silksong come out "before June 12"

... right?
Ooh that is tempting... We've also been talking about something for Street Fighter 6 but any art contests would likely wait until after the Eddsworld charity event / launch of the big Art Portal update.

As they should. And yes, go with the SF6, so I don't have a repeat of the P4G even all over again!

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 10:46:59

At 5/20/23 06:32 PM, larrynachos wrote: Speaking of icons, how come the featured audio section has the generic tankman icon, and not like a music note or something? Even on our userpages the audio section has a speaker icon.

Dang I NEVER noticed that, it’s the same for Featured Art too.

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 12:36:06

Great updates Tom. Definitely would prefer changing the audio thumbnails to a square. Good luck with the new art portal changes :)

At 5/20/23 08:01 AM, TomFulp wrote: Ongoing projects have stretched out longer than anticipated but here’s an update!

Phase Two of our playlist improvements is complete and will be rolling out on Monday. It’s another relatively small change that’s part of a bigger picture, stop by Monday to see the progress!

Our big Art Portal update was originally intended to go live Monday but because it won’t be ready and because there are things coming up that would make for bad launch timing, the release plan has been pushed back to June 7th.

Question for Musicians

Newgrounds has long styled Audio thumbnails to look like a compact disc. This formatting has a certain charm but has also become dated. Would you prefer that we change audio thumbnails to a square, where your entire thumbnail image is visible, or are you attached to the CD iconography?

Movie Trailers

On the topic of Coming Up Next, check out these trailers for upcoming animated films!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884446
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884448
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884447
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884649
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884603
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/884861

Other News

Flash Forward Jam winners were announced last Saturday.

We’re hosting an Eddsworld Charity Art Contest. Entries will be posted on June 6th to celebrate Edd’s life and the 20 year anniversary of his first movie on NG.

Piconjo Day is June 9th.

The Art Inspired Music Contest deadline is June 19th.

June 23rd is the Too Many Games Meetup in PA.

Winners of the Treasure Hunt and Pico Day are also coming up!

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 14:11:46

I love the idea of CD and Vinyl poking out of the sleeve. I'd also like to add a cassette and reel to reel option.

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 14:41:11

iu_976361_9399471.jpg

It would happen soon, but okay, I can wait three weeks for a new update of Art Portal

Who cares about my work and other fun - I'm here

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 15:06:37 (edited 2023-05-21 15:08:43)

I've already given my thoughts about the music icon in another thread. I think the circle, expecially the hole, is not favourable, it destroys the artwork. I'd prefer to not have a hole. A square or a round I don't care. Maybe a rounded rect to distinguish from art and users. An easy solution would be to choose either circle or square and just add an eight-note symbol at the bottom right for example. Or a violin clef. Or something indisputably reminiscent of audio.

That would make it clearly marked as an audio entry.

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 15:37:15

keep the CDs!

maybe make an option to use other pictures, but the CD is just iconic

- GDA

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 16:42:15

I like the distinct iconography of the compact disc, though I feel like the graphics are definitely outdated in the current year. If it's possible to vectorize it or make it higher-resolution, I think I'd prefer the CD icon to stick around.

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 18:14:49

At 5/20/23 08:01 AM, TomFulp wrote: Question for Musicians

Go backwards to vinyls ^___^

Wakka wakka

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 20:55:05

Tossing my 2 cents in about the CD icon, I like the charm of it but more than once I did wish there was no hole in it. A square styled like a record sleeve or a cassette I think could also be fun

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 21:37:36

i really love the cd, but i do wish i could see the cd larger in the music's page since the only time i see it is when its all 60x60 like

its time of the year

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 23:06:37 (edited 2023-05-21 23:06:50)

Maybe you can keep the disc on the play button but also have a sliver of the thumbnail peeking out like this? When you hit play, the div container or whatever expands to show a larger crop of the image.

iu_976665_5508066.gif

I think this would look nice on mobile but I'm not so sure on desktop.

[1] - [2]

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-21 23:24:46

I like the disc images rather than squares but I'm no musician. Thanks for not rushing the art portal update

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 00:18:38

Honestly, I love the CD iconography more than I do the traditional square/round icons that I see in a lot of places. I think it'd be good to offer a choice, maybe make it a Supporter feature, but I personally don't want the CD icon to go away since it gives each audio selection a kind of charm that other places don't give their icons, y'know?

hi, I do things that make sounds and put them on this site, you can check out my stuff if you want.

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 03:03:36 (edited 2023-05-22 03:04:57)

I don't do any music here, but I think the suggestions by @Raviolivox are pretty cool. And I like what @YendorNG said about actual cartridges for the games. Like it has an oldschool, tangible charm, a bit like the old NG design, which feels pretty fresh to me again, especially when you look around at the rest of the internet. here's a mockup

iu_976745_555827.webp

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 07:27:11

At 5/22/23 03:03 AM, JamesLee wrote: I don't do any music here, but I think the suggestions by @Raviolivox are pretty cool. And I like what @YendorNG said about actual cartridges for the games. Like it has an oldschool, tangible charm, a bit like the old NG design, which feels pretty fresh to me again, especially when you look around at the rest of the internet. here's a mockup

The game cartridge / movie filmstrip ideas were fun to think about and this mockup is a lot of fun to look at!

The idea of film strips for movies came up in this thread... Is there anything for art that wouldn't feel too overbearing?

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks of this mockup! I'll link to it in today's post.

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 07:53:25 (edited 2023-05-22 08:06:45)

At 5/22/23 07:27 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/22/23 03:03 AM, JamesLee wrote: I don't do any music here, but I think the suggestions by @Raviolivox are pretty cool. And I like what @YendorNG said about actual cartridges for the games. Like it has an oldschool, tangible charm, a bit like the old NG design, which feels pretty fresh to me again, especially when you look around at the rest of the internet. here's a mockup

Is there anything for art that wouldn't feel too overbearing?

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks of this mockup! I'll link to it in today's post.

maybe paint canvases coud work or have the art thumbnails in some kind of picture frames? to give it a museum-esqe feeling. or have the credit plate(?) on the picture frame itself

also pardon my shitty mockup i was trying to do a shitty example. you can probobly have a better idea of how to formulate this. i know its not the best but that is my mockup for a theme for art.

there is likaly others that can make better a mockup for art that is better than my mockup

iu_976825_14510086.webp

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 08:58:53 (edited 2023-05-22 08:59:03)

I have no other place to say it but hell yeah Tom, the playlists now look freaking awesome

xoxo 💋 (ps: okay I guess you can watch TRW)

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 09:04:01

At 5/22/23 08:58 AM, Royal-Harmonica wrote: I have no other place to say it but hell yeah Tom, the playlists now look freaking awesome

Making a post soon but some bugs are getting looked at!

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 11:47:39 (edited 2023-05-22 11:49:28)

Dude! this Mock-up Looks so Good and Charming! I really hope we do get this in the future! Literally this is how i envision the CD case icon idea, Thanks man! 🤝

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-22 21:26:12

I have been dying to go to a NG meetup for years. I never get word of them in time to make any plans though.

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-23 17:58:55 (edited 2023-05-23 18:02:10)

The game cartridge / movie filmstrip ideas were fun to think about and this mockup is a lot of fun to look at!

The idea of film strips for movies came up in this thread... Is there anything for art that wouldn't feel too overbearing?

Something like this? (Real rough mockup)

iu_977773_8798114.webp

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-24 08:52:45

What do we do about blank no-thumbnail Audio submissions? (example below). I like James Lee's mockup, but I feel this might throw a wrench.

iu_978186_8157415.png

IDK, I'd either have it without a jewelcase (as in exactly as it is right now), or default to the artist's profile picture.

Back to the main topic. I like the cartridge/CD/film idea, but I feel it could be simplified.

iu_978185_8157415.png

Also, nothing special for Art?

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-26 12:24:10

Is there anything for art that wouldn't feel too overbearing?

the only idea i had is polaroid frames that showcase the thumbnail art

here's a mockup

iu_979868_10872411.png

I'm not too keen on the idea because photography is different from art, and because the art portal has more than just illustrations (comics, fine art, gifs, etc.)

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-26 14:49:42 (edited 2023-05-26 14:50:10)

At 5/24/23 08:52 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Also, nothing special for Art?

What about posters or T-Shirts? Posters of people's art could evoke the oldschool theme (plus a joke on how it's the kind of art you wanna hang on your wall), and for a t-shirt, the thumbnail looks like it's a folded shirt one might find in a store.

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-27 01:45:58

At 5/22/23 09:26 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: I have been dying to go to a NG meetup for years. I never get word of them in time to make any plans though.

Totally agree with you. Maybe someday.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Coming Up Next 2023-05-30 15:45:30

Some fun things seem to be headed our way

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature