00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Notking just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Name Game

356 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Name Game 2023-04-04 17:00:45

Hi, Writing Forum. I haven't made a thread in a long ass time so I come to you with a question...

How do you come up with titles for your stories?

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Response to The Name Game 2023-04-04 17:44:03

At 4/4/23 05:00 PM, misterbright wrote: Hi, Writing Forum. I haven't made a thread in a long ass time so I come to you with a question...

How do you come up with titles for your stories?

I find its characteristic

Dear the user AngelLOL123 ;D

Response to The Name Game 2023-04-04 21:34:21

Do you mean titles as in names for a whole series? Or for individual chapters? o be honest I think these methods can work for both... I'll put examples I use for my own stories in italics. ^0^

• Is there 1 specific character of note? Have the title be their name! "Pepper the peppered moth" (series name)

• Is there a McGuffin or iconic object or location? Have the title be its name! "Even cooler sword" (comic strip entry name)

• Does the plot revolve around or pivot on one crucial event? Describe it in 3 words or less! "Incarnated to slavery" (chapter title, a main character is born/incarnated and immediately taken as a slave)

Have the title reflect the characters' attitudes at the moment. "Time to fight back" (chapter title)

• Are two chapters or series related? Make the titles reflect so! "Gotta skidaddle!" and "We must depart with haste" are the planned titles for chapters 2 and 3 of my upcoming webcomic, both chapters cover the same chase sequence, hence chapter 3's title just being the 2nd's but verbose.

• Aliteration, rhymes, and other lyrical features can help spark inspiration. "Fox's Far Flung Fables" (friend's webcomic i helped with)

• A call to action! Have the title be or contain an order, an imperative verb! "Manifest your spectre" (series name)

I hope these help! ^0^

Response to The Name Game 2023-04-04 22:08:43

At 4/4/23 09:34 PM, GoofballPaul wrote: Do you mean titles as in names for a whole series? Or for individual chapters? o be honest I think these methods can work for both... I'll put examples I use for my own stories in italics. ^0^

• Is there 1 specific character of note? Have the title be their name! "Pepper the peppered moth" (series name)
• Is there a McGuffin or iconic object or location? Have the title be its name! "Even cooler sword" (comic strip entry name)
• Does the plot revolve around or pivot on one crucial event? Describe it in 3 words or less! "Incarnated to slavery" (chapter title, a main character is born/incarnated and immediately taken as a slave)
• Have the title reflect the characters' attitudes at the moment. "Time to fight back" (chapter title)
• Are two chapters or series related? Make the titles reflect so! "Gotta skidaddle!" and "We must depart with haste" are the planned titles for chapters 2 and 3 of my upcoming webcomic, both chapters cover the same chase sequence, hence chapter 3's title just being the 2nd's but verbose.
• Aliteration, rhymes, and other lyrical features can help spark inspiration. "Fox's Far Flung Fables" (friend's webcomic i helped with)
• A call to action! Have the title be or contain an order, an imperative verb! "Manifest your spectre" (series name)

I hope these help! ^0^

Yes i meant a whole series

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature