00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

etheriusnachoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bug Reports Thread

13,461 Views | 472 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-06 17:13:54

At 7/6/23 04:25 PM, NitroOrient wrote: Hey there. I'd like to report a bug..

Recently I decided to go search up someone's account, and this is what I found as their pfp on the search catalog (also used on newsposts, BBS, and so on).

Then I went to click on their account. Next thing I see I find this as their pfp..

Does anyone here know what the meaning of this is? I'm really confused..

This is actually the case for accounts that haven't updated their profile picture ever since we unified pfps from two pictures into one. Cyberdevil's page is showing his old large picture as the main profile picture, then uses his smaller one for the smaller versions. If he ever updates his picture, it will become unified as one.

iu_1016052_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-14 16:56:53

At 7/6/23 05:13 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/6/23 04:25 PM, NitroOrient wrote: Hey there. I'd like to report a bug..

Recently I decided to go search up someone's account, and this is what I found as their pfp on the search catalog (also used on newsposts, BBS, and so on).

Then I went to click on their account. Next thing I see I find this as their pfp..

Does anyone here know what the meaning of this is? I'm really confused..
This is actually the case for accounts that haven't updated their profile picture ever since we unified pfps from two pictures into one. Cyberdevil's page is showing his old large picture as the main profile picture, then uses his smaller one for the smaller versions. If he ever updates his picture, it will become unified as one.

Also, there's a spot that is off in the old, large one.

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-14 16:57:28

At 6/26/23 08:05 PM, derailment wrote: My former asked username is somehow available. However, my non-asked usernames link to my profile. @everyone

Remember the time I asked you for it (April 14th)?

Need to note that it still appears on the @chat.

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-24 01:46:47

Many Godot, GDevelop, Unity, and other WebGL games crashing my desktop and forcing me to reboot the computer. It isn't all of them, only a great many.

I strongly suspect game authors are just blindly throwing commands to the graphics card without first checking if the graphics card can handle it and making very bad assumption that "it will just work" because it "just works" on the game author's development computer. Instead, capabilities should first be tested and then, only if the graphics card says the features are supported, should they be used.

What browser I am using -- at the moment, Firefox, but same thing happens on Chrome.

What operating system and device -- Linux, on a desktop PC. Same issue on just about every distro I've tried on this PC. I strongly suspect it is a graphics card hardware-specific problem and one of bad coding by game authors, namely failing to run checks if features are supported before blindly running code. I would be very surprised if the problem wouldn't also happen on Windows, but I am not running Windows.

How to reproduce the problem -- Run lots of Godot, GDevelop, Unity, and WebGL games on underpowered hardware and bound to run into it sooner or later. Here is an example of a game that will crash it https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/871711

What happens -- Affected games will have the loading bar advancing and, once it has advanced all the way, the entire screen will turn black or flash, then come back and be stuck, and no amount of killing browsers or processes makes it usable again. Mouse cursor is visible and can move around the screen but a screenshot of whatever was happening before the crash is permanently stuck as the "graphics" on the display and/or a scrambled version of that. Can go into a text-only mode and execute commands from there, including to restart the machine, but anything graphical is permanently stuck until a reboot or shutdown.

Can we please require uploaders to test graphics capabilities of the user's system in their code before blindly sending commands to the GPU? I strongly suspect this is exactly what the problem is. It's really not nice to crash people's systems. If a game fails to load or crashes, it should just crash itself, not a user's entire desktop environment. This is a very bad user experience.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-24 07:56:28

At 7/24/23 01:46 AM, NeonSpider wrote: What happens -- Affected games will have the loading bar advancing and, once it has advanced all the way, the entire screen will turn black or flash, then come back and be stuck, and no amount of killing browsers or processes makes it usable again. Mouse cursor is visible and can move around the screen but a screenshot of whatever was happening before the crash is permanently stuck as the "graphics" on the display and/or a scrambled version of that. Can go into a text-only mode and execute commands from there, including to restart the machine, but anything graphical is permanently stuck until a reboot or shutdown.

Can we please require uploaders to test graphics capabilities of the user's system in their code before blindly sending commands to the GPU? I strongly suspect this is exactly what the problem is. It's really not nice to crash people's systems. If a game fails to load or crashes, it should just crash itself, not a user's entire desktop environment. This is a very bad user experience.

I wonder if something like this could ever be handled by the web browser itself, where the browser doesn't execute commands that can't be handled by the end-users graphics card... Or if the game frameworks can address it in some way. It would be good for devs to take this into consideration as well but it's also a lot to ask of people making free games. Also a shame that the web itself isn't as universal of a platform as it once was.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-24 15:10:55 (edited 2023-07-24 15:11:21)

At 7/24/23 01:46 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Many Godot, GDevelop, Unity, and other WebGL games crashing my desktop and forcing me to reboot the computer. It isn't all of them, only a great many.

I strongly suspect game authors are just blindly throwing commands to the graphics card without first checking if the graphics card can handle it and making very bad assumption that "it will just work" because it "just works" on the game author's development computer. Instead, capabilities should first be tested and then, only if the graphics card says the features are supported, should they be used.

What browser I am using -- at the moment, Firefox, but same thing happens on Chrome.
What operating system and device -- Linux, on a desktop PC. Same issue on just about every distro I've tried on this PC. I strongly suspect it is a graphics card hardware-specific problem and one of bad coding by game authors, namely failing to run checks if features are supported before blindly running code. I would be very surprised if the problem wouldn't also happen on Windows, but I am not running Windows.

How to reproduce the problem -- Run lots of Godot, GDevelop, Unity, and WebGL games on underpowered hardware and bound to run into it sooner or later. Here is an example of a game that will crash it https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/871711

What happens -- Affected games will have the loading bar advancing and, once it has advanced all the way, the entire screen will turn black or flash, then come back and be stuck, and no amount of killing browsers or processes makes it usable again. Mouse cursor is visible and can move around the screen but a screenshot of whatever was happening before the crash is permanently stuck as the "graphics" on the display and/or a scrambled version of that. Can go into a text-only mode and execute commands from there, including to restart the machine, but anything graphical is permanently stuck until a reboot or shutdown.

Dave OS worked fine on my end...

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-24 16:00:35

At 7/24/23 07:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: I wonder if something like this could ever be handled by the web browser itself, where the browser doesn't execute commands that can't be handled by the end-users graphics card... Or if the game frameworks can address it in some way. It would be good for devs to take this into consideration as well but it's also a lot to ask of people making free games. Also a shame that the web itself isn't as universal of a platform as it once was.

A workaround for the user (at least on Firefox) is to go into about:config and then toggle webgl.disabled to true and toggle webgl.enable-webgl2 to false and this will at least prevent any WebGL games from running (thus at least preventing full desktop crashes). However, this locks out all WebGL games, even ones that wouldn't crash desktop.

On the Newgrounds end, it could help if WebGL games were segregated from other games, perhaps a warning page before loading the game that says "This game uses WebGL which might crash on certain underpowered hardware. Proceed anyway?" and then the user would have to click "Yes" before the game would attempt to load/run. Although I don't know of an automated way Newgrounds could check if a game is WebGL, if that information has not been logged on game upload.

I'm sure there have to be programmatic ways WebGL programmers can feature-test before using features, as OpenGL definitely has such capabilities, and as far as I'm aware, WebGL is built on top of that. Whether any particular framework allows such feature testing or not is probably up to the framework, but I'd think anything decent should.

At 7/24/23 03:10 PM, SakuraStarNG wrote: Dave OS worked fine on my end...

Dave OS did not crash my computer. I did say not every WebGL game crashes it, only some. So you did a good job on not crashing my desktop at least. Thumbs up to you.

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-24 16:04:55

At 7/24/23 03:10 PM, SakuraStarNG wrote: Dave OS worked fine on my end...

Actually, it appears as if, though Dave OS was made in GDevelop, that it does not use WebGL. That is probably why it doesn't crash. Because even with all the WebGL stuff disabled in the browser, that game still loads/runs.

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-07-31 01:42:38

At 4/3/23 09:51 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you would like to report something that isn't working correctly on Newgrounds, you can do so in this thread.

However if you are reporting a vulnerability that could be used to abuse the site or access sensitive information, please PM me with your report and do not share it here publicly.

When reporting a bug please provide as much information as possible, including:

If you are trying to play a Flash game that isn't working, there's a good chance it is an issue with Ruffle emulation not supporting the game completely. Please report issues like these in the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew thread.

Thanks for your hard work mate!!

Do you like ghosts? Then Join Me!

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-05 04:15:48

iu_1042653_6205203.webp

For some reason I have nothing in Movies and Games section of My Feed. This happens on any device. Art and Audio works fine. What could be the problem?

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-05 07:26:08

At 8/5/23 04:15 AM, Remi-le-Oduen wrote:
For some reason I have nothing in Movies and Games section of My Feed. This happens on any device. Art and Audio works fine. What could be the problem?

Oooh this looks like an interesting one... Before I make a ticket, can you go to this page and make sure you don't have any rules set to hide all movie and game notices? Let me know what the status is there.

https://www.newgrounds.com/social/settings/feed

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-05 07:54:47

Update, just confirmed this is happening on my end, as well as the Favorite Movies and Favorite Games missing on user pages. Will have it looked into!

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-05 14:04:28

At 8/5/23 07:54 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Update, just confirmed this is happening on my end, as well as the Favorite Movies and Favorite Games missing on user pages. Will have it looked into!

It's FIXED! Thanks a lot!

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-09 17:29:42

• Opera GX
  • Windows 11 Home on an HP OMEN 25L Desktop PC
  • I discovered this while I was cleaning out my favorites. For some reason, this movie will not go away.

iu_1046627_3908622.png

iu_1046626_3908622.png

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-09 17:44:19

At 8/9/23 05:29 PM, case12y39 wrote:

Hmm... This might have had a genre change at some point, it looks like it's currently classified as a game:

Will see if we can clean it out.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-25 08:34:48

I Noticed that my "webserie" is filtered by "T rated" but since months Ago i changed to "E Rated" okay, normal. But... I not only refreshed the page but its been weeks that the serie playlist Still is on T Rated, even All of the Episodes being E Rated. What is It? A bug or the playlist series are permanently classified?

iu_1060039_11781426.png

iu_1060040_11781426.png

I like to make animations :)

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-25 09:32:24

At 8/25/23 08:34 AM, NK2007 wrote: I Noticed that my "webserie" is filtered by "T rated" but since months Ago i changed to "E Rated" okay, normal. But... I not only refreshed the page but its been weeks that the serie playlist Still is on T Rated, even All of the Episodes being E Rated. What is It? A bug or the playlist series are permanently classified?

We've made a ticket for this now. In the meantime, could you try removing and re-adding an entry to see if that refreshes the playlist rating?

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-08-25 09:41:35 (edited 2023-08-25 09:46:14)

At 8/25/23 09:32 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/25/23 08:34 AM, NK2007 wrote: I Noticed that my "webserie" is filtered by "T rated" but since months Ago i changed to "E Rated" okay, normal. But... I not only refreshed the page but its been weeks that the serie playlist Still is on T Rated, even All of the Episodes being E Rated. What is It? A bug or the playlist series are permanently classified?
We've made a ticket for this now. In the meantime, could you try removing and re-adding an entry to see if that refreshes the playlist rating?

Okay. Wait a sec........ Yeah i removed All, i refreshed It, added again One by one and....It worked

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-07 13:49:03 (edited 2023-09-07 14:03:46)

Hey tom, i think the Newgrounds Wiki - annual tank awards is broken(not only 2007, but 2008 and beyond)

the most notable problems are: some profile thumbnails or icons are missing.

on some profile or another it says "follow" or "following" when clicking on one of them a very unexpected error message appears at the top of the screen, but the rest like sending a PM message for example, works.

Anyway I found this "Bug" today a few minutes ago and it still remains until now, to check it I reloaded the page 3 times I left and came back and saw the others and it continued like this.

anyway, that's all, if it's fixed now or there was no problem at all, then sorry about that, there may have been a temporary problem.

iu_1070957_11781426.webp

The weirdest thing is that when you click on "follow" or "following" this message pops up on the top of the screen

like an error message, i basically clicked on "follow MindChamber" and this message appeared :(

iu_1070985_11781426.webp

Extra Note after this text: i closed the window and opened again, and the bug still is in there!

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-07 14:57:04

At 9/7/23 01:49 PM, NK2007 wrote: Hey tom, i think the Newgrounds Wiki - annual tank awards is broken(not only 2007, but 2008 and beyond)

on some profile or another it says "follow" or "following" when clicking on one of them a very unexpected error message appears at the top of the screen, but the rest like sending a PM message for example, works.

I see what the issue is - these pages are using the old Wiki system, the pages have never been redone with the new system, which uses our text editor.

Each of these entries has wiki markup to turn them into content links and user page links and these are all old formats that haven't been getting upkeep.

I think I'll go ahead and redo these in the text editor but we'll lose the rich content links for users, since we never introduced support for that, although we should! It would be cool to paste someone's userpage URL in an empty line and have it become a visual link, like we do with content and now playlists.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-07 15:28:33 (edited 2023-09-07 15:30:33)

At 9/7/23 02:57 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/7/23 01:49 PM, NK2007 wrote: Hey tom, i think the Newgrounds Wiki - annual tank awards is broken(not only 2007, but 2008 and beyond)

I see what the issue is - these pages are using the old Wiki system, the pages have never been redone with the new system, which uses our text editor.

Each of these entries has wiki markup to turn them into content links and user page links and these are all old formats that haven't been getting upkeep.

I think I'll go ahead and redo these in the text editor but we'll lose the rich content links for users, since we never introduced support for that, although we should! It would be cool to paste someone's userpage URL in an empty line and have it become a visual link, like we do with content and now playlists.

Ohhh, this also explains why the "downloads" or "NG creators resource" pages look like they have the Newgrounds layout from the early 2010s

but we'll lose the rich content links for users, since we never introduced support for that.

Unfortunately :(

It would be cool to paste someone's userpage URL in an empty line and have it become a visual link, like we do with content and now playlists.

Honestly, I never understood much of visual links, sometimes the visual links to my music playlists would appear or sometimes not, it's like there had to be a correct way to add the link so that they become visual links!

also, yeah, it would be easier to, like... paste all the user page urls at once on one empty line.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-08 21:25:25 (edited 2023-09-08 21:26:37)

Strange link issue in the Zelda collection page. I was going through the page numbers and, while on page 3, I clicked on page 4 and it showed me this. I went back and put my crosshair over the 4 to see the preview of the link and it was some repeating nonsense. It's just that specific set-up on the Zelda collection page with the broken link.

uhhh... hang on, the site compressed the images to hell. The link that comes up is: https://www.newgrounds.comwww.newgrounds.comwww.newgrounds.com/collection/zelda_4

iu_1072330_2224291.webpiu_1072331_2224291.webp

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-09 08:29:51

At 9/8/23 09:25 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote: Strange link issue in the Zelda collection page. I was going through the page numbers and, while on page 3, I clicked on page 4 and it showed me this. I went back and put my crosshair over the 4 to see the preview of the link and it was some repeating nonsense. It's just that specific set-up on the Zelda collection page with the broken link.

Weird, I haven't been able to recreate it yet but the collection pagination has been prone to weirdness so I can imagine it happening. I tried cleaning up deleted entries in the collection to see if that helps at all. Are you able to recreate it now?

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-12 01:51:36 (edited 2023-09-12 01:52:10)

At 9/9/23 08:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/8/23 09:25 PM, HipnikDragomir wrote: Strange link issue in the Zelda collection page. I was going through the page numbers and, while on page 3, I clicked on page 4 and it showed me this. I went back and put my crosshair over the 4 to see the preview of the link and it was some repeating nonsense. It's just that specific set-up on the Zelda collection page with the broken link.
Weird, I haven't been able to recreate it yet but the collection pagination has been prone to weirdness so I can imagine it happening. I tried cleaning up deleted entries in the collection to see if that helps at all. Are you able to recreate it now?

Sorry for the late response. Going from page 3 to page 4 is now fixed, but now page 4 is bugged and does the same thing going to the rest of the pages.

https://www.newgrounds.com.comwww.newgrounds.com/collection/zelda_1.html

https://www.newgrounds.com.comwww.newgrounds.com/collection/zelda_2.html

etc.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-12 07:27:42

At 9/12/23 01:51 AM, HipnikDragomir wrote: Sorry for the late response. Going from page 3 to page 4 is now fixed, but now page 4 is bugged and does the same thing going to the rest of the pages.

https://www.newgrounds.com.comwww.newgrounds.com/collection/zelda_1.html
https://www.newgrounds.com.comwww.newgrounds.com/collection/zelda_2.html
etc.

Jeez! We're so close to completing the migration to the playlist system, I think I'm gonna leave this broken vs bug Jim about it fixing it.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-13 16:06:13

Why do quotation marks, ampersands, and less-than and greater-than signs have to display as their HTML entities?

iu_1076213_9558927.webp

This is the case for short descriptions as well.

(I use Google Chrome and Windows 11)

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-13 18:42:15

At 9/13/23 04:06 PM, 4n0nymou5 wrote: Why do quotation marks, ampersands, and less-than and greater-than signs have to display as their HTML entities?

This is the case for short descriptions as well.
(I use Google Chrome and Windows 11)

This is something that went funky at some point in history, the pages fix themselves if I republish them. If there are more that are bothering you I could manually get them fixed, maybe at some point we could try a cleanup script.

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-15 13:03:15 (edited 2023-09-15 13:05:52)

Some old users who haven't changed their profile pic after the dual pic feature was removed still can have two profile pics! This isn't fair :P.

proof/example:

iu_1077601_3945050.png

IMAO the big pic should be the universal one. I mean, it's no big deal to scale down a big image into a smaller one?

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-17 10:52:42

At 9/17/23 10:39 AM, Leavesz wrote: reviews aren't showing up on my profile page for some reason, even though they do show up at the portal specific review links. I'm assuming this might've happened because I deleted a bunch of them recently.

https://leavesz.newgrounds.com/reviews - says there aren't any reviews

however the following links do show there are some reviews - https://leavesz.newgrounds.com/reviews/audio - https://leavesz.newgrounds.com/reviews/art

btw I'm using Firefox 114.0.2 on windows 10, don't know if that's relevant but i figured i'd include that information just in case.

Weird, I've filed a ticket for this!

BBS Signature

Response to Bug Reports Thread 2023-09-17 11:20:17

Hey there. Recently I found a bug on some songs.

I went to listen to one of them, and I scrolled down, and saw this.

iu_1079122_11035867.jpg

The strange thing is that I clicked one of the songs shown above, and I saw this.

iu_1079123_11035867.jpg

For some reason my songs show up to me even though I'm signed in..

May someone please explain why this is happening?

we chillin

BBS Signature