00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Notking just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nothany's WIP/Abandoned Stuff

178 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Nothany's WIP/Abandoned Stuff 2023-01-26 02:35:37

Welcome to my thread of unfinished things. I plan to update it every year or so. Think of it like a sneak-peek for upcoming projects for the year, or a look behind projects that bit the dust for various reasons.

~~Abandoned Projects~~

Might as well start off with the stuff I know I won't touch ever again first, that way the rest will at least look hopeful. There isn't much either since I only abandon things for a good reason

>The Picasso Commission

Believe it or not I did a commission last year, it was a private commission, and it didn't go well at all. The idea was simple: draw a Picasso-like drawing for this guy's new album, so I studied Picasso's art for a bit and came-up with this little sketch

iu_878522_9884366.png

Kinda learned really quickly that I probably shouldn't put too much detail on a rough 1st sketch. So I give it to the guy and he says he wants something that's a bit more Celtic, but to make it like a mix of both styles, and make part of it like black & white, and the painting world in colour, and so, and so on. The guy had no concrete idea what he wanted, so I gave him a few examples to see if I could pinpoint what he wanted

iu_878521_9884366.webp

iu_878520_9884366.webp

iu_878523_9884366.png

So after all that, he wanted a drawing where it was a Picasso style, but all the characters were facing away from the camera, and he wanted the Picasso character to open-up a world to this female character, so I drew this little sketch of a Picasso character painting an opening to a Picasso world with his magic paintbrush. Even coloured it a bit to give the guy an idea how it would look like

iu_878524_9884366.png

You try to draw a Picasso looking character facing away from the camera and without any eyes! Shit was a real challenge to figure-out. Unfortunately the guy wanted a cityscape instead of a mountain, and he wanted the Picasso guy to look more Picasso-y.

I was out of inspiration juice at this point, and I couldn't go on with it anymore. So I apologized to the guy, gave full-quality versions of the sketches I've done so he could visit another artist to easily continue where I left off, and even told him that he didn't need to pay me if he didn't want to (in my eyes I failed my "duty" as an artist and couldn't deliver what he wanted), but he payed me $100 anyways

So that's that whole story done and dusted. This whole ordeal is one reason why I've been putting-off commissions for now, and these drawings will never be finished because of that. Though, I did learn a few things from drawing in Picasso's style. One of which being that Picasso's eyes and ears. I may not be a fan of Picasso's work, but I have to admit he does draw some really good eyes and ears.

There is another abandoned project I've done, but it's basically this, but I tried to slowly add frames to it to see what framerate I liked better, and 24 was my preferred framerate

~~Work In Progress~~

Now for the meat & potatoes of all this

>Klonoa fan-art

[Insert Klonoa fan-art here]

...so...this one...Didn't even start it yet...had it planned since February of last year...I want to try doing it this year. Honestly feel a little embarrassed with this one since Klonoa is a favourite character of mine, yet I've been constantly putting this project in the back burner in favour of more personal projects.

>Snowball Animation

iu_878528_9884366.gif

Still haven't touched this since Pico day, and at this point I'm not even sure if I should polish it as is, or finish what I originally wanted to draw. I'll have to think about this one since there's another animation I want to finish first

>Digi Time!

iu_878525_9884366.png

Wanted to make fan-art of Digi-Valentine's OC, but I haven't gotten past the "Ultra-rough" phase. I just jotted-down the idea, and hoped I'd come back to it one day...that day still hasn't come yet

>IceWM Linux theme

iu_878526_9884366.webp

This one I've been putting off because it's such a pain in the ass, but I need to finish it one day because I want a cool Linux theme. Unfortunately due to my SSD dying I lost some of that progress, and I need to restart a few things which doesn't make things any better. Also need to optimize the file a bit too, as it takes a solid few minutes to load. I'll probably need to seperate the thing in chunks when I get back to it.

>Nostalgic Gloom

iu_878527_9884366.webp

Got inspired to do this after seeing the paper mill at night. It was supposed to be a quick drawing, but it felt like it was taking too long for a quick drawing, so I put it aside

>Never-ending possibilities

[insert art here]

I have some things to show, but I need to restart the whole thing from scratch anyways since I won't be using either Krita nor Pencil2D for my animation

>Clean-up Time

iu_878529_9884366.gif

Got the sketch done for the Sketch collab. Just need to polish it in Blender. Planning on doing that as soon as I'm finished this test animation I'm working on to get a feel for Blender.

That's all my unfinished stuff from last year (well, all but like 2, but those don't count). Let me know what you think of this. Did you learn a few things from yours truly, or is this just all boring fluff that means nothing to you.

BBS Signature

Another year, another round of art that I left unfinished. Though, not as much as last year. Most of the art in the back burner is from last year (must be pretty crispy by now), and you can get a good idea of what they are just by viewing the last post.

Not much to add to add to those old ones, just didn't find the motivation throughout the year. Though, a few of them got updates this year

~~>Back-Burner Updates

~~Klonoa Fan-art~~

Finally got to sketching the thing...well, at least the big panel.

iu_1141314_9884366.png

Yeah, this one's probably going to take a good while to make even if I put all my effort into it. I've probably mentioned this before, but this one is probably the most ambitious piece of fan-art I've ever thought of, and part of me hates myself for even coming-up with the idea. It's essentially 9 fully rendered drawings detailing key events from the game (without spoiling) bundled into one big ass drawing...The hell did I get myself into this time.

I'll try to see what I can do with this one, but chances are this will likely see the light of day in 2025 or later.

~~Snowball Roll (canceled)~~

iu_1141315_9884366.gif

Yeah, I'm canning this one. Just wasn't able to pick it back up, and in general I'm scrapping nearly every animation and starting back from scratch because I feel like I jumped in the deep-end without learning how to swim first.

I'll still keep the idea in my back pocket, but it'll be completely redone, and likely won't even have Snowball featured in it. Probably just some stick-figure just to keep it simple.

~~>New Back-Burner Projects

~~Short Bunny Comic~~

iu_1141312_9884366.png

Just a simple little comic where Rathrie tries-on a dress. Thought this one wasn't going to take long, but a few time-sensitive projects just kept pushing it back further and further.

This one might get released this year if everything goes well.

~~Moving Ahead~~

iu_1141313_9884366.jpg

Just another simple bunny drawing. This one was supposed to help me practice how to draw forests, and to give me an excuse to draw a beautiful twilight sky.

Unfortunately, this one suffered the same fate as the other project. Only got as far as a quick sketch on my DSi. And just like the previous one it might make an appearance this year.

~~Role Call~~

[No image available]

Not even sure what to do with this one. It was originally meant to be a banner for my profile that matched the style of Head-to-Head which I used for the forum signature, but it never got made because Blender made me rethink my entire workflow, and I spent a good chunk of the year finding something better.

However, pieces from that project got sprinkled around to other projects like these:

Worst case, I can it. Nothing but a text file describing it was made anyways, so nothing is lost really. Though, I'll keep it for now in case I change my mind.

~~Making Things Special Again~~

iu_1141316_9884366.webp

Really hated putting this one on the back-burner, but I was all out of time to make it last year.

Way too ambitious for the amount of time I gave myself, and with the 4 gift drawings and the Secret Santa that needed to be done at the same time...things just had to be cut just to meet the deadline, and that was the weakest link.

It will be finished this year, that's a certainty, so don't you worry.

~~>Abandonned Projects

~~Bakery Signs~~

iu_1141317_9884366.webp

This one has a bit of a story behind it that you can read-up on here

But basically, I worked for this bakery in town, showed them I was an artist, they'd always say that they love my work, yet they never really took advantage of it. With this sign, I showed it to them, they loved it, and yet even to this day they never even posted it in their store, nor asked me about doing more. They preferred just using a basic sign made in Word or handwritten signs instead. Kinda felt offended when I saw that.

And it's hard to really judge the people who run the bakery, because every time I go there they're always greeting me with open arms and wanting me to come back...but I find it hard to trust them with the way they treated me (intentional or not)

Anyways, I can ramble for hours about that place, and this isn't the place to talk about that

~~IceWM Linux Theme~~

iu_1141318_9884366.webp

This one...oh god this stupid thing. Talk about a complete heart-break.

For this one I spent the like half a year working on and off with this theme I made for IceWM, a Linux Window Manager that's lightweight and is easy-peasy to customize. However, even for how easy this was to customize, it was still a really tedious task.

I did finish the theme sometime in late 2022, and I was pretty happy with how it turned-out. Even started planning-out wallpapers to go along with it. Unfortunately, if you know what happened to me in 2022 you probably know where this is going. This was one of the projects that got wiped when my SSD died. Luckily an earlier version was still safe & sound on my backup PC, but the pain...oh the pain. Just seeing your completed project just get wiped, even if it was just a little bit, it just stings.

I had plans to return to it last year but 3 things prevented me:

1. I lost all motivation to do it after losing that progress

2. I learned new techniques in Inkscape that are way better and more efficient then anything I did in Krita, so I'd need to port the thing into Inkscape

3. I planned on switching to a new Window Manager on Linux this year, and all of them use a completely different system for themes, so I'd need to start from scratch

And with that, this project landed firmly in the bin for me. No use trying to revive it. I will put up a download link for anyone who wants to use it. Either as a theme for IceWM (all 3 of you), or as some sort of fake desktop theme for something like an animation, drawing, or a prop. It includes everything including the Krita file that takes a solid minute to load, and you have my full permission to use it for whatever you want. Though, a credit would be nice if possible.

~~Grand Entrance & Big Sleepy~~

iu_1141320_9884366.gif

iu_1141321_9884366.gif

Two little animations, both for the Sketch Collab, the first one was scrapped a month in due to it being too complicated, and the other one suffered the same fate, but in the end made it in the Sketch Collab in an unfinished state.

I won't be returning to these animations for the simple fact that I have to start with something simpler, and that doesn't involve a ton of camera movements, or complicated character movements

~~>???

iu_1141319_9884366.jpg

Have no idea where to put this one. It's vent-art I did on my DSi when I was feeling down one night. I would try to polish it, but with vent-art I need to be in that certain mood to finish it. Usually that mood only lasts a few hours, and I almost never have the same idea twice. So this one will pretty much stay dead until I have another sad moment with the exact same thought.

~~~

Overall, so far I've been managing my projects pretty well compared to last year. Though, there's technically a lot more in there if you include comic scripts, and animation descriptions. Don't like talking about those as much though, since all of them would go along the lines of "look at this neat thing that I can't talk about or show you guys".

Apart from that, this is all that I got on the back-burner this year. See you next year for the next post in this thread.

BBS Signature