00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need Help With Scriptwriting

449 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need Help With Scriptwriting 2023-01-08 13:45:34

For any experienced script writers, I'd like some advice. I've recently finished the third chapter for a story of mine. Usually I try to write the full thing how I want it in one go, but I've been trying to approach this different so I actually get stuff done. I focused on just getting words down, skipping out on most descriptors until I get to editing. I had a few questions, since I'm still fairly new to scriptwriting.

• How can I shorten down my sentences better and keep the draft from dragging on without hurting the pacing?

• How do I incorporate body language better? How much of it do I need and is there any good sources for more unique examples so I don't repeat them too much?

• How do I use parentheticals better and how do I know when I'm overusing them?

• Are my dialogue/action scenes written well? If not, how can I improve them?

This is only the rough draft so there are probably a fair number of spelling errors and incorrect formatting, but I'd like to know what I need to look for before I start editing. I'd really like this to be a show or anything at some point, so I appreciate any help here!

The story is right here for reference: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-OwQZ66uSb6rW8GKm63_QobHZMD7lE9O5BFO1F8Itas/edit?usp=sharing

Not entering my email to see it. But if you could post (or dm) a few phrases that seem too long-winded; then I can see if I can wordsmith it a bit, to make it shorter without losing context or pacing.