00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

bbc4lunch just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Perseverance

301 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Perseverance 2022-11-26 18:14:13

This is a longer story to say the least. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Some context- Sarah is the daughter and her mother is Alice.

"Please mom, can I go to my friend's house tonight."

"Did you ask them."

"Yeah, we talked about it in school; her mom said it was fine."

"Ok I guess, as long as you don't break anything like last time."

"I won't, I promise!"

The night rolled around, and Alice dropped Sarah off at her friend's house. While driving home, she decided to stop by a new gas station. This place had everything... well more than a normal gas station anyway. She still settled for a bag of chips and a pop though. She got back in her car and went home.

Pulling into the driveway, Alice takes a sip of the soda. When a hand, coming from the backseat, reaches out and covers her face. She struggles to pull the intoxicating cloth away, but it's to late, she passes out.

Waking up, she finds herself in a strange sterile room, wearing a hospital gown. On the ceiling was a camera and in front of her was a large glass wall with a metal door on the side. She paces the room for a while, freaking out.

When out of the corner of her eye, she notices a woman, with black hair. Standing behind the glass, wearing a gown just like hers. She's covered in scratches, but doesn't seem to care. They stare at each other for a while until the woman smiles and walks off. She was strange, but something about her made Alice feel safe.

She begins looking for a way out. The door was to strong to break, same for the glass. The only thing in her room was a bed and a toilet.

"What am I gonna do. There's no way out." She lies down on the floor feeling hopeless. Then her stomach tenses up with sharp pain, and she starts to feel sick.

All of a sudden, the camera shuts off and the door clicks and budges open a little. She looks around for a minute, unsure if it was safe. Standing up slowly, she stumbles out of her cell holding her stomach.

Making her way through the halls of this cold place, looking through windows. Seeing people in straight jackets, others rocking on the floor.

She starts to lose balance needing to lean on the walls. In the distance she can hear the sound of something moving, slithering and occasionally making a deep pulsating hum. Feeling more and more uneasy as she walks.

Eventually she gets to the source. A writhing mass of flesh and bone, twisting and turning in a small dim room. She jumps back with a scream falling over. What is that thing, she wonders, backing up against the wall.

She stands back up and begins to run, wanting nothing more than to escape. Feeling her heart beat out of her chest. When she stops to rest, the pain in her stomach returns, stronger this time. She falls over and begins to vomit.

Down the hall she hears another noise, footsteps this time. She picks herself up and hides behind a corner. Peeking out, she sees someone in a lab coat carrying a canister. They write something on its tag and put it in a fridge.

After the lab worker walks off, she sneaks over to look in the fridge. The canister has what looks like a pink ball of gel, about the size of a golf ball, with a black dot in the center. It was completely surrounded by crimson roots. The bottom is labeled with a temperature, a date and the words "Further testing required." She looked at it for a few minutes, almost entranced by it. Until her arm starts itching and she puts it back.

Deeper in the facility, she sees more people locked in cells, Most are asleep. Some pace the room, but freak out when they see her, banging against the glass. Others are covered in scratches scribbling on the walls in red. Some are curled up puking in toilets.

She shivers as she walks through the cold hallways. Looking down at her arms, still itching from time to time.

All of a sudden alarms start going off. Over the intercoms a voice is heard

"ALERT there is an escaped patient walking the halls. Shoot on sight they cannot escape!"

Alice begins to run passing by offices and huge vats of meat and tendrils. Some of the lumps stare at her as she passes.

The sound of screaming and gunfire rings out in the distance. She finds a room full of monitors and catches a glimpse of the escapee.

A thing resembling a human stripped of skin. Jumping from person to person, ripping them apart. It's wearing a gown just like her. She feels a pain in her stomach again and pukes in a bin; this time it has streaks of blood running through it. "Uhh, I'm getting worse. What is wrong with me."

Looking over more of the cameras and a map on the wall. She finds a path to avoid the staff and that thing, going through what looks like a lab.

Running through the halls, she makes it to the lab seeing various bigger embryo plant things in vats lining the walls. The screaming is getting closer than she expected. That thing must have changed course. She crawls under a desk and before long a group of soldiers run in.

The savage patient following close behind. Running towards them, unfazed by the bullets, it rips them to pieces. The screaming stops but Alice is breathing too heavily too hide.

The beast crawls over and drags her out from under the desk. It goes to rip her throat out, but stops and smells her. The black haired patient blinks and more gunshots are heard from the halls. The patient screeches, her mouth splitting open revealing razor sharp teeth, while running back through the halls.

Alice crawls back to the safety of the desk to hide. On the ground she spots a clipboard with a report on the subjects. Listing the various symptoms of the experiment sickness, loss of balance, itching and the rest of the paper is torn up.

She looks back at her arms covered in scratches but no blood. Standing back up, she began looking around. Had to leave but which way, which way. Another stomach pain, this time much worse. The pain is so bad she falls over and passes out.

When she wakes up, the bodies around her have been ravaged; bits and pieces are all that remained. She was covered in blood. "Was it hers?" She thought. "No... no it's not mine, is it? I... I can't remember."

On her way again through this nightmare, what next. There wasn't anymore screaming, just distant alarms and her footsteps. It's not cold anymore. She notices she isn't walking, but running; it's not her running though.

"Those people who died, who were they. That creature, why were they here, who were they before all of this. Where is this, who am I."

She kept running until seeing a light in the distance, with silhouettes of people talking. "Voices! People! I'm saved they've come to help. I'm finally free, but who's that on the ground? That gown, it's her, they killed her! NO!"

They started firing their guns at her. "Why are they shooting me? Why doesn't it hurt anymore. What did I do?" All of this goes through her head, as she tears them apart.

Response to Perseverance 2022-11-30 17:48:08

At 11/26/22 06:14 PM, Oldmoss wrote: This is a longer story to say the least. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Some context- Sarah is the daughter and her mother is Alice.

"Please mom, can I go to my friend's house tonight."
"Did you ask them."
"Yeah, we talked about it in school; her mom said it was fine."
"Ok I guess, as long as you don't break anything like last time."
"I won't, I promise!"

The night rolled around, and Alice dropped Sarah off at her friend's house. While driving home, she decided to stop by a new gas station. This place had everything... well more than a normal gas station anyway. She still settled for a bag of chips and a pop though. She got back in her car and went home.

Pulling into the driveway, Alice takes a sip of the soda. When a hand, coming from the backseat, reaches out and covers her face. She struggles to pull the intoxicating cloth away, but it's to late, she passes out.

Waking up, she finds herself in a strange sterile room, wearing a hospital gown. On the ceiling was a camera and in front of her was a large glass wall with a metal door on the side. She paces the room for a while, freaking out.
When out of the corner of her eye, she notices a woman, with black hair. Standing behind the glass, wearing a gown just like hers. She's covered in scratches, but doesn't seem to care. They stare at each other for a while until the woman smiles and walks off. She was strange, but something about her made Alice feel safe.

She begins looking for a way out. The door was to strong to break, same for the glass. The only thing in her room was a bed and a toilet.
"What am I gonna do. There's no way out." She lies down on the floor feeling hopeless. Then her stomach tenses up with sharp pain, and she starts to feel sick.
All of a sudden, the camera shuts off and the door clicks and budges open a little. She looks around for a minute, unsure if it was safe. Standing up slowly, she stumbles out of her cell holding her stomach.

Making her way through the halls of this cold place, looking through windows. Seeing people in straight jackets, others rocking on the floor.
She starts to lose balance needing to lean on the walls. In the distance she can hear the sound of something moving, slithering and occasionally making a deep pulsating hum. Feeling more and more uneasy as she walks.
Eventually she gets to the source. A writhing mass of flesh and bone, twisting and turning in a small dim room. She jumps back with a scream falling over. What is that thing, she wonders, backing up against the wall.
She stands back up and begins to run, wanting nothing more than to escape. Feeling her heart beat out of her chest. When she stops to rest, the pain in her stomach returns, stronger this time. She falls over and begins to vomit.

Down the hall she hears another noise, footsteps this time. She picks herself up and hides behind a corner. Peeking out, she sees someone in a lab coat carrying a canister. They write something on its tag and put it in a fridge.
After the lab worker walks off, she sneaks over to look in the fridge. The canister has what looks like a pink ball of gel, about the size of a golf ball, with a black dot in the center. It was completely surrounded by crimson roots. The bottom is labeled with a temperature, a date and the words "Further testing required." She looked at it for a few minutes, almost entranced by it. Until her arm starts itching and she puts it back.

Deeper in the facility, she sees more people locked in cells, Most are asleep. Some pace the room, but freak out when they see her, banging against the glass. Others are covered in scratches scribbling on the walls in red. Some are curled up puking in toilets.
She shivers as she walks through the cold hallways. Looking down at her arms, still itching from time to time.

All of a sudden alarms start going off. Over the intercoms a voice is heard
"ALERT there is an escaped patient walking the halls. Shoot on sight they cannot escape!"

Alice begins to run passing by offices and huge vats of meat and tendrils. Some of the lumps stare at her as she passes.
The sound of screaming and gunfire rings out in the distance. She finds a room full of monitors and catches a glimpse of the escapee.

A thing resembling a human stripped of skin. Jumping from person to person, ripping them apart. It's wearing a gown just like her. She feels a pain in her stomach again and pukes in a bin; this time it has streaks of blood running through it. "Uhh, I'm getting worse. What is wrong with me."
Looking over more of the cameras and a map on the wall. She finds a path to avoid the staff and that thing, going through what looks like a lab.

Running through the halls, she makes it to the lab seeing various bigger embryo plant things in vats lining the walls. The screaming is getting closer than she expected. That thing must have changed course. She crawls under a desk and before long a group of soldiers run in.

The savage patient following close behind. Running towards them, unfazed by the bullets, it rips them to pieces. The screaming stops but Alice is breathing too heavily too hide.
The beast crawls over and drags her out from under the desk. It goes to rip her throat out, but stops and smells her. The black haired patient blinks and more gunshots are heard from the halls. The patient screeches, her mouth splitting open revealing razor sharp teeth, while running back through the halls.
Alice crawls back to the safety of the desk to hide. On the ground she spots a clipboard with a report on the subjects. Listing the various symptoms of the experiment sickness, loss of balance, itching and the rest of the paper is torn up.

She looks back at her arms covered in scratches but no blood. Standing back up, she began looking around. Had to leave but which way, which way. Another stomach pain, this time much worse. The pain is so bad she falls over and passes out.
When she wakes up, the bodies around her have been ravaged; bits and pieces are all that remained. She was covered in blood. "Was it hers?" She thought. "No... no it's not mine, is it? I... I can't remember."
On her way again through this nightmare, what next. There wasn't anymore screaming, just distant alarms and her footsteps. It's not cold anymore. She notices she isn't walking, but running; it's not her running though.
"Those people who died, who were they. That creature, why were they here, who were they before all of this. Where is this, who am I."
She kept running until seeing a light in the distance, with silhouettes of people talking. "Voices! People! I'm saved they've come to help. I'm finally free, but who's that on the ground? That gown, it's her, they killed her! NO!"
They started firing their guns at her. "Why are they shooting me? Why doesn't it hurt anymore. What did I do?" All of this goes through her head, as she tears them apart.

Starts pretty tense and suspenseful, although a bit too straightforward with the development of events in my opinion and then turns to frigthening in the end. I would appreciate going through the scenes in a bit more depth and perhaps building up the final revelation for a bit longer, but in general it's well structured and can also be extended into more if you wish. Good job, thank you for making this.

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

Response to Perseverance 2022-11-30 19:19:02

At 11/30/22 05:48 PM, Fersto wrote: Starts pretty tense and suspenseful, although a bit too straightforward with the development of events in my opinion and then turns to frigthening in the end. I would appreciate going through the scenes in a bit more depth and perhaps building up the final revelation for a bit longer, but in general it's well structured and can also be extended into more if you wish. Good job, thank you for making this.

Can't argue with that. I would've liked to make the transitions between events longer, but I was scared it would be called "too long".

Thanks for the feedback.