00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoeBidenLikesToes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do I texture my text

193 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 13:35:45

I want to know how I could texture my text like this:

iu_741791_8973889.webp

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 13:49:40

At 9/2/22 01:35 PM, SuperRobloxBros wrote: I want to know how I could texture my text like this:

without photoshop in front of me I can’t remember the exact path to get there, but basically clipping masks.

if you don’t use photoshop just look up “clipping masks + whatever program you use” and that can be applied to your text.

Here’s texture labs video all about it

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 15:23:38

you turn the text into an object and paint over it with a grunge brush

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 15:25:45

At 9/2/22 03:23 PM, misterbright wrote: you turn the text into an object and paint over it with a grunge brush

I'm confused by what you mean by turning the text into an object.

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 15:28:04

At 9/2/22 03:25 PM, SuperRobloxBros wrote:
At 9/2/22 03:23 PM, misterbright wrote: you turn the text into an object and paint over it with a grunge brush

you right click on the text layer and select convert to smart object (in photoshop)

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 15:56:58

At 9/2/22 03:25 PM, SuperRobloxBros wrote:

Basically just making the text behave like it was an image.

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 16:45:40

You can also use blend mode "overlay"

on your text.

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 16:58:01

Here's a quick look at it.

iu_741936_6725762.webp

Just make your texture, type out your text.

Then on the texture layer put blend mode overlay, and make your text be some shade of gray, and you're done~

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 20:02:47

I’m going to double-down here and say just learn to use clipping masks really effectively. The versatility and speed getting really good with masks can get you for texture work and more broad design work will open up a lot new avenues to your workflow and creative output. It’s fast, easy to toggle on and off at any point in the process. And with the right texture libraries can get you just about anything you’re looking for in the same number of steps every time, whether it’s a faded shirt, chipped metal, spray paint on a brick wall, ben-day dots, understanding clipping masks is a valuable tool in your inventory.

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-02 21:03:30 (edited 2022-09-02 21:11:40)

At 9/2/22 08:02 PM, SourCherryJack wrote: I’m going to double-down here and say just learn to use clipping masks really effectively. The versatility and speed getting really good with masks can get you for texture work

Agreed, clipping masks are amazing in fact I would say they are essential for making most digital illustrations in general. Even me, as a novice clipping masks user, has really helped speed up my colouring process. It allows u to be less careful with placing colour and texture (since u can never go out of bounds) and yet create more visually interesting works.

At 9/2/22 01:35 PM, SuperRobloxBros wrote: I want to know how I could texture my text like this:

I've tried my hand at a quick replication of your sample.

iu_742109_8281748.webp

iu_742111_8281748.jpg

(Sorry, I use procreate so the UI and layer representation might be very different) but I would also add using the various blend modes also helps a ton.

For the replication I just googled "grunge" texture and got a decently high res image and set it as the background as multiply blend mode layer.

For the text texture just copied the same texture again and then set it as a clipping mask over the text I wanted (In this case "SUPERROBLOXBROS"). Changed the clipping mask's blend mode to "divide" and duplicated the layer as i see fit to add more textures over the text.

Last step is just to edit the opacity of each layer until you're happy!

Hope this helps SuperRob,

Yuko

(edit: I picked a lighter colour for the text its not a consequence of the blend modes in case you're wondering, my bad!)

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-03 09:20:16 (edited 2022-09-03 09:22:20)

I agree with everyone’s advice about clipping masks! However, if you want to actually remove the missing parts so that you can put it on different backgrounds and it will still show as transparent, then a layer mask is the way to go. This actually maps to the opacity of the layer.

iu_742406_6994006.png

Another Procreate user here, this is what I did and the results on a few different backgrounds.

Apologies if other programs work differently/have different names for it and I’m misguiding you.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-04 18:13:07

"convert text layer to image layer"

"CTRL+V dogthrowingupbrownslime.png (above previously-known-as text layer)"

"set new layer as a cutout"

Check current mood, cool music!

BBS Signature

Response to How do I texture my text 2022-09-04 19:25:33

If you are a PS user and all you want is the effect shown here -- I wouldn't even bother with masks:

1. Double-click the text layer to open Layer Style.
  2. Add a Pattern Overlay - any black/white image will do.
  3. Set the Pattern Overlay's Blend Mode to Overlay (or whatever works). Fiddle with other settings.

Done in 15 seconds or less, assuming you already have a pattern you like.

I'll also offer the middle-ground solution that works in every art pack that supports layers, regardless of other features:

1. Select your text
  2. Copy the selection into a new blank layer -- and hide this copied layer!
  3. Paint on a new layer.

In this way, you're achieving the same thing as "masking" without needing to struggle with channels, poor UI design, etc. You can now use this hidden layer purely for the sake of re-selecting your text region, and as a bonus, retain an original copy of the text if you ever need to go back.