00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Summer Lovin' Jam Winners

16,570 Views | 69 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:12:20

Via jam organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Summer Lovin’ Jam Winners!

We received over 100 submissions to the Summer Lovin' Animation Jam, where participants were tasked with creating a 4-8 second animation loop set to the Audio Portal song of their choice that made them feel those chill summer vibes. “What’s your favorite way to spend an endless summer?”

Whatever makes YOU happy; share that experience with us this summer.

Some of our favorite picks are making it into a full length Music Video Collab featuring ”summer breeze” by @Droid; more details at the end of this post!

Our judges panel consisting of @Awful-Ike @BrandyBuizel @Cymbourine @Derpidraws @Droid @milkypossum and @TomFulp took everything into account when reviewing your work: the art style, the activities presented, the song pairing, the entry’s individuality, and how well it loops. Here are your winners!

10th Place - $30

First off we have a three way tie (each of whom will receive $30 courtesy of Tom Fulp, I love that guy)!

@Goji, we love the visuals and your song choice is absolutely perfect. It was a bold choice to do a submission without any characters (except that lil’ manta ray, he seems like a nice guy) and it paid off. Don’t know how or why you thought of a submerged picnic bench, but you really epitomized the feeling of serenity with this entry.

@Tiny’s got Worthikids vibes to their art style in a charming loop of traditional summer fun.

@SoyYanyo’s entry was actually their first upload on newgrounds! We’re very happy to have you on the site and your art is wonderfully quirky. Chillin’ by the pool, toes dipped in the water… not many entries tackled nighttime and the atmosphere you created makes our hearts smile :)

9th Place - $30

@P-PAMda has a rockin’ color ballet and so much going on. I’ll admit it takes a couple loops to fully appreciate the shapes and clever transitions throughout, but a loop that engages you for several watches is kind of a successful loop. Check out their second entry as well (Brandon prefered the second entry, so the other 6 judges bullied him).

8th Place - $30

@marshminator made a picturesque still for an indie anime I’d wanna see! I found myself yelling at the scream to make that Stegosaurus in the water blink. BLINK DAMMIT, BLINK. I know it’s probably some form of Nessie or Plesiosaur, buuuuutt shut up and you can have $30. Nice Stegosaurus/10.

7th Place - $40

@KibbySupreme actually had two entries as well (check out their second entry). The background is gorgeous in both, but the fun, spontaneous movement of the Coatl Bird really set this piece apart as our favorite of the two.

6th Place - $50

@MicroBihon has everybody on the rooftop move at different intervals, each character has their own personality in their idles and the gentle use of wind makes the whole scene feel cohesive between the huge gap in buildings. Great work, this was one of Tom’s favorites!

5th Place - $90

@DynamoToon delivered something serene. Adeline’s looking a little lonely to me, but I suppose you can love your alone time just the same on a sunset beach. If you can’t tell by the next few entries: our team of judges have a serious bias towards entries with impressive color palettes!

4th Place - $120

@Helmyir heard “animation” and went hard crafting three slick scenes of sharing summer with their friends. We’ve received a ton of entries from different friend groups incorporating each other's OCs and personas, but they just did it the best. The animation is fluid when groovin’ on the patio, then snappy when bumping on the tubes and it looks like a lot of fun!

3rd Place - $150

@SAMI-OURS you are amazing and we still can’t fully tell if this is 3D or some 2D puppet wizardry, but we love it! Your style is so wholesome, it’s precious. I love that the musicians loop at alternating intervals and the dancing carries out for the full 8 seconds of the loop meaning the visuals never get old (their song choice “Hand In Hand” has literally become one of my new favorite tracks on the website).

2nd Place - $180

@cynicallysly carried the theme of “chill summer vibes” on their somber and relaxed shoulders. There’s something about a calm sunrise to really put a moment in your life into perspective. The colors and nostalgic filter mesh so well with their chosen music track.

1st Place - $250

@Luis is a monster that absolutely swept the competition and it’s kinda bullshit. I suggested to Tom that we reinvest the prize money into cloning research so we may recreate the perfect pixel-animator for future generations to enjoy. I mean seriously, this man caught covid and then he started making this; it's practically cheating.

There were dozens of solid entries and cutting the list down to only 10 out of 111 was legitimately frustrating. Brandon’s personal favorite didn’t even make the list (so please browse the tag “summer-lovin-loop” and give the other entries some love), but these 10 entries were the very best of the best of the best!

Pay close attention to your Newgrounds DMs in the coming week because @BrandyBuizel will be collecting the mp4/mov files for some of your submissions (if you haven’t already sent it to be converted to WebP) to add it to the Endless Summer Lovin’ [COLLAB]. @Droid is currently working on an extended version of “summer breeze” so that we can fit as many entries as possible <3

Thank you all for animating, composing, and rating these submissions with us. I hope you loved your summer!

Banner by @Awful-Ike and @BrandyBuizel

iu_732677_1.jpg

Other News

Artists: Our Cult of the Lamb Art Contest is in progress!

Animators: The Big Boy Rumble Tumble Animation Jam is in progress!

Game Devs: Our API now supports Cloud Saves! This allows players to save their game data to their NG account, so they can switch between devices without losing their progress.

@PsychoGoldfish has also created a new Unity implementation of our API, fully documented with code examples and a demo you can steal from.

Stepford's Mobile Game Jam wrapped up last weekend, check out the entries!

Last week we celebrated our 21st Clock Day!

Catch up on the Best of July if you missed it.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:13:27

THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING!!

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:15:39

Thanks to everybody that participated.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:17:49

congrats to the winners

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:19:14

At 8/22/22 02:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:

we celebrated our 21st Clock Day!

Oh wow, i have to make sure i catch covid more. Def Thank u Brandy for encouraging me to finish. I was dropping out originally at the nyc meet. But then came home and put my isolation from society to productive use.

Also thank you to @dry for that music. He can do wonders with very little direction.

Also first postage.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:22:00

Congrats to all the winners.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:22:57

Nice job everyone, cya next collab!

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:24:38

Congrats on the winners! There was alot of lovely and cozy submissions for this. can't wait to see the music video~

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:27:50

Yayay, congrats everyone! I loved browsing through all of these every day of the competition.

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:34:00

Congrats to all the winners!

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:34:25

AAA i still cant believe it, there was a lot of wonderful loops and my silly character animation made it in!

Wasnt expecting winning any position at all.

Thanks you so much for this! Its been super fun participating and seeing everybody's work!

What a lovely surprise, this made my day <3 Congratulations to the winners!!

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:38:02

No porb

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:39:58

At 8/22/22 02:38 PM, SomeApe wrote: No porb

check your DMs porby

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:40:43

I'll also toss in a personal Honorable Mention to @Random-Crit and @FlamingPiickle!

I really enjoyed the music / visual combo of Lifeguard Loop and Pirate Lovin has a lot of charm.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:49:24

All of these submissions are beautiful. Big congrats to the winners.

we chillin

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:49:24

Congrats you guys, there were so many awesome entries!

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:52:04

Me when watching 1st place winner:

RANDOM HANK EVENTTTTTT

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 14:54:06

At 8/22/22 02:19 PM, Luis wrote:
At 8/22/22 02:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
we celebrated our 21st Clock Day!

Oh wow, i have to make sure i catch covid more. Def Thank u Brandy for encouraging me to finish. I was dropping out originally at the nyc meet. But then came home and put my isolation from society to productive use.

Also thank you to @dry for that music. He can do wonders with very little direction.

Also first postage.

👍

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 15:09:25

thanks so much!! this was awesome news to wake up to

dude watch this video lol

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 15:12:03

At 8/22/22 02:39 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 8/22/22 02:38 PM, SomeApe wrote: No porb
check your DMs porby

iu_732711_8138481.gif

At 8/22/22 02:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: There were dozens of solid entries and cutting the list down to only 10 out of 111 was legitimately frustrating. Brandon’s personal favorite didn’t even make the list (so please browse the tag “summer-lovin-loop” and give the other entries some love), but these 10 entries were the very best of the best of the best!

my personal favorite entry by @oatyos

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 15:23:34

I cannot blieve I unt frinking lost!!! Newgrounds IST STUPID AND DUMB! I should have gotten the million dollar big trophy!!! I spent a whole FIFTEEN MINUTES on my entry! UNSUBBED and DOWN THUMBERED!!!!

Forge Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 16:28:34

hi :}

At 8/22/22 03:23 PM, ForgeFrog wrote: I cannot blieve I unt frinking lost!!! Newgrounds IST STUPID AND DUMB! I should have gotten the million dollar big trophy!!! I spent a whole FIFTEEN MINUTES on my entry! UNSUBBED and DOWN THUMBERED!!!!

iu_732803_6967610.webp

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 16:36:17

At 8/22/22 03:23 PM, ForgeFrog wrote: I cannot blieve I unt frinking lost!!! Newgrounds IST STUPID AND DUMB! I should have gotten the million dollar big trophy!!! I spent a whole FIFTEEN MINUTES on my entry! UNSUBBED and DOWN THUMBERED!!!!

Thus begins the new character arc for Forge

tired of being unepicly destroyed on teh internetz he decides to enact his dastardly plan

The Joker's Trick

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 17:29:13

This is so awesome!!! Many thank-yous to the judges and congratulations to everyone that won! Very grateful that you all enjoyed my piece :D

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 17:37:41

Congrats to all of the winners! You did well

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 17:43:09

grats to the winners and everyone who participated, was cool to get mentioned!

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 18:43:52

At 8/22/22 02:27 PM, Bleak-Creep wrote: Yayay, congrats everyone! I loved browsing through all of these every day of the competition.

There were plenty of quality submissions. Which ones did you enjoy the most?

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Lovin' Jam Winners 2022-08-22 19:04:42

I liked a lot of the ones that placed actually, but I think my favorite that didn’t was by @avidgladiator

Captures such a perfect mood

At 8/22/22 06:43 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/22/22 02:27 PM, Bleak-Creep wrote: Yayay, congrats everyone! I loved browsing through all of these every day of the competition.
There were plenty of quality submissions. Which ones did you enjoy the most?