00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AIM 2022 Discussions Thread

4,018 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-09 15:42:04

Bwahaha my 2 AIM entries snowballed into a 21 track trilogy of art-inspired tracks. Out of which, 4 were FP'd! Thanks for the inspiration, whoever came up with this absolutely brilliant competition. Needless to say, I'll be on a composing hiatus for awhile, unless of course another super cool challenge comes up in the pipeline.

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-13 21:28:38

Hello, I was wondering about the use of this as a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFR6bPgEOcM&ab_channel=TheKeglton

just wondering if I have to do it myself or Nah.

Thanks ,CorruptModule

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-14 05:53:23

At 5/13/22 09:28 PM, CorruptModule wrote: Hello, I was wondering about the use of this as a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFR6bPgEOcM&ab_channel=TheKeglton

I'm pretty sure that's copyrighted mate :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCByeJsq65M

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-14 14:27:06

At 5/14/22 05:53 AM, LexRodent wrote:
At 5/13/22 09:28 PM, CorruptModule wrote: Hello, I was wondering about the use of this as a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFR6bPgEOcM&ab_channel=TheKeglton
I'm pretty sure that's copyrighted mate :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCByeJsq65M

Thanks for that just wanted to confirm. It just happens to be in a lot of breakcore songs I couldn’t tell if it was copyrighted or not. I got to make my own now this should be fun.

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-19 04:00:39

Apologies to anyone who submitted recently. I noticed the new submissions but haven’t gotten around to checking them yet. Hopefully I’ll get to them tomorrow, if not then by this weekend. Thanks for your patience!

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-19 08:18:16

Can I loop the song twice to achieve the 3-6 minute goal?

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-19 22:15:59

At 5/19/22 08:18 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Can I loop the song twice to achieve the 3-6 minute goal?

There have been entries in the past that have done this, so I will allow it in this current compo (unless Newgrounds has rules about submitting audio like this?), though I wouldn't encourage it. I'll probably give this more consideration for future compos.

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-26 16:34:18

A nice fun event! I'm glad to be here! Yo @cyan11 good seeing you here!

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-26 16:36:04

At 5/19/22 08:18 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Can I loop the song twice to achieve the 3-6 minute goal?

This might decrease how interesting the song is but depending on the composition it might work. If it's just a loop I don't think that's a good idea. You could maybe switch it up just a bit or maybe wait for more ideas to come to you. You do have until June.

At 5/26/22 04:34 PM, SomeGuyMusic wrote: A nice fun event!

It's my fav'! Always has me coming back. I love the hunt for a piece of art that really speaks to me. I contacted the creator and the artist really let me in on a lot of the narrative of the art, which I loved and gave me a lot of inspiration. It'll be great to attach a piece of music to it! Still a WIP though!

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-28 03:05:33

I've been extremely busy with ongoing work in the background, so I'll have to cut down to just one track this year again. Hopefully I'll get it in (probably an hour before deadline like always!)

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | NG Audio Iceberg Challenge | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-29 02:08:28

At 5/28/22 03:05 AM, LD-W wrote: I've been extremely busy with ongoing work in the background, so I'll have to cut down to just one track this year again. Hopefully I'll get it in (probably an hour before deadline like always!)

You may be the latest but will you be the greatest once more? 😏

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-05-29 05:03:33

At 5/29/22 02:08 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 5/28/22 03:05 AM, LD-W wrote: I've been extremely busy with ongoing work in the background, so I'll have to cut down to just one track this year again. Hopefully I'll get it in (probably an hour before deadline like always!)
You may be the latest but will you be the greatest once more? 😏

If the judges are doing for 6 mins of AAAAAAAAAAA, then sure!

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | NG Audio Iceberg Challenge | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-04 16:44:51

Hopefully so! It's quite enjoyable and do think it always gives us a generous deadline to have work/life/contest balance! I've spent the last 2 days stemming, exporting one track at a time (FL Studio doesn't do well in this area when there are tempo changes and track counts which exceed the mixer limits), prepping for mixing in the next few days.

iu_657349_2296667.webp

I always find it really interesting how different it sounds when exporting and treating it as a mix session than just exporting it straight from the project.

BBS Signature

I am close to banging my face off the desk. I have just exported every track for the mixdown accidently with the radiator plugin on creating white noise at a very low volume, which builds up in the mix.

Urgh...gonna have to re-export each track again.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-08 12:34:53

A quick post - A massive thank you to the person that front-paged my AIM track! <3

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-10 15:03:49

Here's what my submission looks like in Ableton! It's a lot of textural sounds, hahaha...

iu_662759_10919411.webp

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-13 10:08:37

Hey all, I noticed I wasn't appearing in the Latest audio tab as an approved artist. I think this maybe means I lost my scouted status, does that mean I'm barred from entry?

what? you don't remember me? That's Fair

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-16 12:36:15

At 6/13/22 10:08 AM, Aterum wrote: Hey all, I noticed I wasn't appearing in the Latest audio tab as an approved artist. I think this maybe means I lost my scouted status, does that mean I'm barred from entry?

Aren’t you still scouted?

I help you see things.

BBS Signature

At 6/16/22 12:36 PM, V1ZION wrote:
At 6/13/22 10:08 AM, Aterum wrote: Hey all, I noticed I wasn't appearing in the Latest audio tab as an approved artist. I think this maybe means I lost my scouted status, does that mean I'm barred from entry?
Aren’t you still scouted?

Yes, sorry i thought whatever the "approved artist" designation meant on the audio portal was associated with my scouted status.

what? you don't remember me? That's Fair

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-18 06:06:39

Well, looks like I won't be able to finish. This is a busy time for my family and if I had started at the start of the contest I would've had more time to work on it. I hope everyone has fun with the contest!

To keep the hype alive, I thought I would announce that I just got through the first playlist and personally wrote 51 full length audio reviews. Only 14 left to go. I'll hold onto the reviews until the judging is done and the results are out but everyone in this contest will have some form of professional feedback and communication with the judges via me. I'm very proud of you nutty people, some more than others but everyone get's a star and a kiss. These songs are lovely and the art is real.

Also, with my prize money on the line for the competition I'm taking this shit seriously. Three weeks sounds like a long time for y'all to wait for results but I'm guessing that estimate was to appease the fact that I'm trying to get a professionally written review done for everyone. I'm sure the other judges are already done with their score sheets BUT I'LL TAKE THE HEAT FOR NOW. THROW ALL IMPATIENCE AT MEEEEEEE. I'M WRITING FAR MORE THAN I NEEDED TO.

quarl BandCamp

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-21 18:44:54

At 6/21/22 06:35 PM, Quarl wrote: To keep the hype alive, I thought I would announce that I just got through the first playlist and personally wrote 51 full length audio reviews. Only 14 left to go. I'll hold onto the reviews until the judging is done and the results are out but everyone in this contest will have some form of professional feedback and communication with the judges via me. I'm very proud of you nutty people, some more than others but everyone get's a star and a kiss. These songs are lovely and the art is real.

Also, with my prize money on the line for the competition I'm taking this shit seriously. Three weeks sounds like a long time for y'all to wait for results but I'm guessing that estimate was to appease the fact that I'm trying to get a professionally written review done for everyone. I'm sure the other judges are already done with their score sheets BUT I'LL TAKE THE HEAT FOR NOW. THROW ALL IMPATIENCE AT MEEEEEEE. I'M WRITING FAR MORE THAN I NEEDED TO.

Yes I am very impatient. I definitely didn’t wait until the last minute to make an extended version of my song that wasn’t approved before. This is how impatient I am.

Yes.

I help you see things.

BBS Signature

At 6/21/22 06:44 PM, V1ZION wrote:
Yes I am very impatient. I definitely didn’t wait until the last minute to make an extended version of my song that wasn’t approved before. This is how impatient I am.

Yes.

lmao I see your track on the second page, AIM submissions part II. I'll keep you in mind when I get around to it. Curious, is your user name a Noisia reference by any chance?

quarl BandCamp

At 6/21/22 06:48 PM, Quarl wrote:
At 6/21/22 06:44 PM, V1ZION wrote:

Yes.
lmao I see your track on the second page, AIM submissions part II. I'll keep you in mind when I get around to it. Curious, is your user name a Noisia reference by any chance?

What is Noisia? I’ve genuinely never heard of it them him her something or other idk.

I help you see things.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-21 21:13:02

At 6/21/22 08:51 PM, V1ZION wrote:
What is Noisia? I’ve genuinely never heard of it them him her something or other idk.

Ripped from wikipedia:

Noisia (stylised as NOISIΛ; "VISION" turned upside down) is a Dutch electronic music trio consisting of members Nik Roos, Martijn van Sonderen and Thijs de Vlieger from Groningen, Netherlands.

Their logo is based off an old VHS thing that said "VISION" but flipped upside down says "NOISIA." I'm a big fan of their gnarly cinematic nuero style.

quarl BandCamp

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-21 21:31:36

Hmm, good to know. I’ve listened to some of their stuff after you replied and it sounds pretty good.

But yeah, no I’ve never heard of them before and that’s not where I got my name from. It was actually just a failed attempt at making myself sound cool lol.

I help you see things.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-23 05:28:59

At 6/21/22 06:35 PM, Quarl wrote: To keep the hype alive, I thought I would announce that I just got through the first playlist and personally wrote 51 full length audio reviews. Only 14 left to go. I'll hold onto the reviews until the judging is done and the results are out but everyone in this contest will have some form of professional feedback and communication with the judges via me. I'm very proud of you nutty people, some more than others but everyone get's a star and a kiss. These songs are lovely and the art is real.

Hah! Yeah would defo be good to get some (or a lot) of feedback for our songs in the contest. Critique and improvement is the number one thing, at least for me. I know approval-seeking is bad, and in my brain I try not to hawk on it, but reviews will be helpful.

Music. Art. Writing. Love.

BBS Signature

At 6/23/22 05:28 AM, TheVodouQueen wrote: Hah! Yeah would defo be good to get some (or a lot) of feedback for our songs in the contest. Critique and improvement is the number one thing, at least for me. I know approval-seeking is bad, and in my brain I try not to hawk on it, but reviews will be helpful.

Lmao, technically the entire process of judging results in picking favorites. I approve of approval seeking because it keeps me on my toes and informs me that you people exist, complete with feelings. I'm not sure if this idea is still heavily promoted but I recall an original rule from AIM 2013:

At 5/12/13 02:06 AM, ThatJohnnyGuy wrote:
2) Ask the artist if you can use their picture for the contest and make a song inspired by the picture

An original intention of the contest when it was run by Johnny was to get artists reaching out to each other to develop bonds and connections, grow social skills. The entire process was meant to endear illustrators on Newgrounds with thematic music that was unquestionably inspired by an enamoured musician. I'm happy to see names that I recognize in the list, vetted by the community and dripping with authenticity. Newgrounds family, blood pacts, gang rituals.

I have more I want to say but I don't want to give the final subs a leg up by knowing my thought process and changing things up to fit certain specs. What I can say is that I'm taking everything into consideration and sharing thoughts because I secretly love all of you- DON'T TELL ANYONE I SAID THAT D:<

quarl BandCamp

Response to AIM 2022 Discussions Thread 2022-06-27 01:37:07

At 6/21/22 06:35 PM, Quarl wrote: I just got through the first playlist and personally wrote 51 full length audio reviews. Only 14 left to go.

I knew there would be an explosion of tracks added before the deadline hit but I'm back down to 11 tracks, 83 reviews are finished. I'm getting close to finishing all the reviews. I originally wanted to write for every illustration too but if I do any of the drawings I might have to only hit the stuff I really drooled over. I wrote way more than I needed to already. I'm worried some of the reviews might not fit the character limits...

quarl BandCamp