00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HuntressCody just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends

997 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I had this thought in the back of my mind for a while now. I noticed that Smiling Friends aired every episode of season 1 in one whole day but Hazbin Hotel doesn't air a single episode and fans are still hyped for a delayed project. I have seen similarities for each I came to the conclusion, that Smiling Friends is a "lol so random" parody-like version of Hazbin hotel that has consistent jokes and that Hazbin hotel was probably only meant to be a youtube series but A24 picked up and are starting to rip apart piece by piece. I want know what you think about the two shows? Does Hazbin Hotel stand a chance on a streaming service? Will Smiling Friend over shadow Hazbin? Please let me know, I want to hear your opinion! :)

Response to Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends 2022-01-17 06:08:56

At 1/17/22 03:08 AM, o0William0o wrote: I had this thought in the back of my mind for a while now. I noticed that Smiling Friends aired every episode of season 1 in one whole day but Hazbin Hotel doesn't air a single episode and fans are still hyped for a delayed project.

Smiling friends is 10 minute long episodes that got picked up by adult swim, Zack and Michael were working on it as soon as it got greenlit. Hazbin Hotel was funded Kickstarter Pilot that got picked up by A24 and is currently still in development. Stylistically it's a more complex show than smiling friends and will probably take a bit longer to make as the episodes as far as I know are going to be longer than 10 minutes each (Helluva Boss's running time per episode was around 13-15 minutes each) so the show taking longer to develop makes sense.

iu_526676_5077139.jpg

I have seen similarities for each I came to the conclusion, that Smiling Friends is a "lol so random" parody-like version of Hazbin hotel that has consistent jokes and that Hazbin hotel was probably only meant to be a youtube series but A24 picked up and are starting to rip apart piece by piece.

They are wildly diffrent shows, comparing them to each other is a bit silly. Smiling friends is going for a sitcom/ dark comedy/ internet humor feeling while Hazbin Hotel was going for a Musical/dark comedy/ Story route.

As for A24 tearing it apart, aside from the news about the voice actors being replaced (Industry practices at work)

I don't really see how it's tearing anything apart, unless there's something new that unfolded.

I want know what you think about the two shows? Does Hazbin Hotel stand a chance on a streaming service? Will Smiling Friend over shadow Hazbin? Please let me know, I want to hear your opinion! :)

Smiling friends is fantastic and I really enjoyed binging through all the episodes in one sitting. Some episodes stuck out more to me than others and while I enjoyed most of them some had moments where they took turns I wasn't too happy with (Salty's episode had a reveal that I won't spoil for those who didn't watch but it was kind of easy to see coming, but the egg joke saved it for me). I've noticed some shit being flung their way for being politically incorrect about certain jokes, but I don't think those people are actually watching the show but rather just getting outraged over something for the sake of bandwagoning on hating Zach and Miachal for having differing political views as the people trying to "Pseudo Cancel" Smiling friends. That shit sucks ass and makes me roll my eyes for days. People need to understand that if they don't like the humor of something they don't have to watch it. But c'est la vie

I will say that I have this weird feeling that it won't get renewed for a new season, but I would still be psyched if it did! It's just the fact they released all the episodes at once onto every service. I don't feel like there's a real way to gauge if people are actually interested in the show outside of new HBOmax Subs and I don't feel like fans of this show are willing to pay for HBOmax if they already don't have it and would rather pirate it or watch it for free elsewhere.

iu_526677_5077139.jpg

Hazbin Hotel is kind of a mess in my eyes. It was Vizziepop's first big collaborative project and it shows. There's inconsistencies all over the place and the story is really rough. A big problem people's pilots have is that they don't show what is going to happen in the show when it kicks off, they just allude or hint towards it. Hazbin Hotels story is supposed to be that Charlie is going to rehabilitate sinners, but she never explains if it's possible, or how she's going to do it. They do a good job of showing that she's struggling to make this idea work, but even as she is given more help by the Radio Demon THEY STILL DON'T EXPLAIN HOW THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT

Helluva Boss handles this 10x better and shows how Vizziepop learned from the Hazbin Hotel Pilot and essentially makes a much better pilot than Hazbin Hotel! In the pilot it shows who the characters are and what they're going to be doing for most of the series.

iu_526678_5077139.png

So uhh my take away from all of this is... If you want to have more creative control over your show? Don't pitch it to a studio. Just make the whole thing yourself and get it greenlit by fans. I think that what Zach and Michael pulled off is really admirable, but this means the idea is at the whims of the studio now and if they shelve it there's nothing Zack or Michael can do about it.

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends 2022-01-17 16:04:44

Cool thanks

Response to Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends 2022-01-19 18:15:29

Cool thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends 2022-01-23 23:24:45

At 1/17/22 06:08 AM, Ozone wrote:
At 1/17/22 03:08 AM, o0William0o wrote: I had this thought in the back of my mind for a while now. I noticed that Smiling Friends aired every episode of season 1 in one whole day but Hazbin Hotel doesn't air a single episode and fans are still hyped for a delayed project.
Smiling friends is 10 minute long episodes that got picked up by adult swim, Zack and Michael were working on it as soon as it got greenlit. Hazbin Hotel was funded Kickstarter Pilot that got picked up by A24 and is currently still in development. Stylistically it's a more complex show than smiling friends and will probably take a bit longer to make as the episodes as far as I know are going to be longer than 10 minutes each (Helluva Boss's running time per episode was around 13-15 minutes each) so the show taking longer to develop makes sense.

I have seen similarities for each I came to the conclusion, that Smiling Friends is a "lol so random" parody-like version of Hazbin hotel that has consistent jokes and that Hazbin hotel was probably only meant to be a youtube series but A24 picked up and are starting to rip apart piece by piece.
They are wildly diffrent shows, comparing them to each other is a bit silly. Smiling friends is going for a sitcom/ dark comedy/ internet humor feeling while Hazbin Hotel was going for a Musical/dark comedy/ Story route.

As for A24 tearing it apart, aside from the news about the voice actors being replaced (Industry practices at work)
I don't really see how it's tearing anything apart, unless there's something new that unfolded.

I want know what you think about the two shows? Does Hazbin Hotel stand a chance on a streaming service? Will Smiling Friend over shadow Hazbin? Please let me know, I want to hear your opinion! :)
Smiling friends is fantastic and I really enjoyed binging through all the episodes in one sitting. Some episodes stuck out more to me than others and while I enjoyed most of them some had moments where they took turns I wasn't too happy with (Salty's episode had a reveal that I won't spoil for those who didn't watch but it was kind of easy to see coming, but the egg joke saved it for me). I've noticed some shit being flung their way for being politically incorrect about certain jokes, but I don't think those people are actually watching the show but rather just getting outraged over something for the sake of bandwagoning on hating Zach and Miachal for having differing political views as the people trying to "Pseudo Cancel" Smiling friends. That shit sucks ass and makes me roll my eyes for days. People need to understand that if they don't like the humor of something they don't have to watch it. But c'est la vie
I will say that I have this weird feeling that it won't get renewed for a new season, but I would still be psyched if it did! It's just the fact they released all the episodes at once onto every service. I don't feel like there's a real way to gauge if people are actually interested in the show outside of new HBOmax Subs and I don't feel like fans of this show are willing to pay for HBOmax if they already don't have it and would rather pirate it or watch it for free elsewhere.

Hazbin Hotel is kind of a mess in my eyes. It was Vizziepop's first big collaborative project and it shows. There's inconsistencies all over the place and the story is really rough. A big problem people's pilots have is that they don't show what is going to happen in the show when it kicks off, they just allude or hint towards it. Hazbin Hotels story is supposed to be that Charlie is going to rehabilitate sinners, but she never explains if it's possible, or how she's going to do it. They do a good job of showing that she's struggling to make this idea work, but even as she is given more help by the Radio Demon THEY STILL DON'T EXPLAIN HOW THEY'RE GOING TO DO IT
Helluva Boss handles this 10x better and shows how Vizziepop learned from the Hazbin Hotel Pilot and essentially makes a much better pilot than Hazbin Hotel! In the pilot it shows who the characters are and what they're going to be doing for most of the series.

So uhh my take away from all of this is... If you want to have more creative control over your show? Don't pitch it to a studio. Just make the whole thing yourself and get it greenlit by fans. I think that what Zach and Michael pulled off is really admirable, but this means the idea is at the whims of the studio now and if they shelve it there's nothing Zack or Michael can do about it.

Ayo what the fuck is that last pic?

Ah Geez dude, 2016? And only posts in Politics and General? Alright... Hope this goes well :y

At 1/23/22 04:47 PM, GameTrek wrote: HBHotel is basically "Beetle Juice" with a lesbian-feminist-middle-man-assistant, and a rich wealthy girl who is
suppose to be the daughter of the devil ( the powers that be ). It is like if Princess Mor-bucks grew a heart and

I agree with this, but Beetle Juice doesn't take place in Hell. It takes place in a general afterlife both in the mortal world and a waiting room between the mortal world and the afterlife. Ironically HellavuBoss that other show actually is more in line with BeetleJuice than Hazbin Hotel with people in the afterlife doing jobs for the dead in the world of the living

Did you know Gaming? In Hellavu Boss's Loo Loo land episode they got Alex Brightman (Actor who played Beetlejuice in the Musical rendition) to voice a character? It's not Michael Keaton I know I know but hey it's the thought that counts.
her only pressure is not becoming a lesbian.

Her only real only pressure is not disappointing her family. Which she apparently already has failed at with her father (Maybe for being a raging lesbian already?) and judging by her mom not picking up her call maybe her other parent as well.

iu_532707_5077139.png

It is like "Inside Job" but instead of actually having a real interesting
story about the real inside-job it took a bunch of terms, and misunderstandings, installed a bunch of goofy-parodies.

Hey howdy hey who could have guessed another Pilot about Hell would no not stick to the bibles doctrine or just copy Dante's Inferno? Maybe when you make your pilot about hell you'll stick to the real stuff and not this fake lesbo propaganda

We have the news broadcasters, but beyond that the characters while logical are basically mocking real people from a point of view of the writer.

Mocking which real people? Like the voice actors portraying them? Are the characters specifically referencing actually real life people and the show is making fun of them?

EDIT: Oh wait sorry you're saying that the writer is projecting how they feel people act in real life act like. Well... Similarly to that clip you showed from Rock and Rule where it "Mocks" slow people like me and rock stars from the point of view of the writers. Everyone does this in movies and shows as everyone has diffrent points of view on these things.

"Smiling Friends" is quick fast, and to the point.

Sure

It is like watching people in real life.

Yeah kinda what they were going for and it seemed to have worked such as this person reacting the Jeremy the Demon getting punched by Charlie.

iu_532706_5077139.png

Things happen and you just do not care. Like on a car ride and you see it but do not care.

Oh. Oh! Oh? So wait you're saying that people don't care about what's happening or you don't care about what's going on in the show? Also I've seen some pretty Gnarly stuff on car rides.

Also the stereotypes ( discrimination ) are rehashed but look nothing like their origin.

Trying my best to think of one more example of discrimination in the show besides DJ Spits and the indian grub hub delivery guy who is very much like what they're "Discriminating" against. The DJ Spits thing is a bit more trickier, but from what I've heard people like that stereotype and find it humorous, whether that's a good thing is up to you.

"Adventure Time" + "Bevus and Butthead" + Auwsome show ( with a dash of Rick and Morty ) + Steven Universe - the quality, build up of characters. Like in no way I am going to get hard to mustard or actually care what happens. It is like this sketch.

Oh ok you're saying you don't care about what's going on in the show. I don't think you're supposed to have attraction to the mustard packet? It's just a joke about her being in a relationship with her boss and it being creepy/weird and how Charlie is desperate enough to try to make a move on a potential murder when he apparently(?) has a girlfriend.

Please tell me where you see steven universe in this show if you can. Honestly you can just ignore my whole response to your post if you just tell me where you see everyone's favorite show about lesbian rocks in Smiling friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuIg8uF9geM
Like Digi-Charat v. Milk Chan. Both are fast paced joke after joke and even if there is a story or reference Milk Chan gives more content outside of being dramatic.

Dang never thought someone would compare Smiling friends to Digi-Charat but here we are Nyo~

iu_532708_5077139.png

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends 2022-01-24 09:01:25

Ayo what the fuck is that last pic?

your guess is as good as mine

Response to Food for Thought: Hazbin hotel & Smiling Friends 2024-05-15 01:31:18

At 1/17/22 06:08 AM, Ozone wrote:

I come back to this now and again. Thank you sincerely Ozone, for drawing Charlie and Loona making out. It's refreshing to see Loona NOT be a stick in the mud bitch, as per usual.

And thank you o0William0o, for even making this post and prompting these funny images :)

Good Stuff.