00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Twoside Audio Jam

6,035 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Make a song with multiple sides that share a melody/progression but differ in instrumentation and stuff, so you can switch between them and it sounds cool. Planning and executing, above and below water, peace and combat, anything that's interesting.

I just think that this kind of thing is cool and it would be cool for there to be more of it available online.

A few examples of this kind of thing in existing games:

Criteria

• Each "side" of the song must be uploaded as a separate submission to the Audio Portal.
  • Every side must be tagged #twoside-jam
  • You can have between 2 and 4 sides. 2 is the default, but you can have up to 4 if your creativity guides you so.
  • Red and Blue sides are required.
  • The Red side must be tagged #twoside-jam-red
  • The Blue side must be tagged #twoside-jam-blue
  • If you have a third side, tag it #twoside-jam-green
  • If you have a fourth side, tag it #twoside-jam-yellow
  • Each side must link to the other side(s) in the description.
  • You must allow external API use.
  • The license must at least allow free use for web games.
  • Each song must have the same tempo and length and be aligned. For example, 12.34s in Blue matches with 12.34s in Red. Use the tool I made at https://github.com/goldenPiGames/TwosideJam to test.
  • The song must be able to loop.
  • If it has an intro and outro that doesn't loop, that's fine, but you must include the start and end times of the loop in the description and submission, preferably to the thousandths.
  • You may submit only one song.
  • You may collaborate, but the one song per person rule still applies.
  • You may not upload or update your track after the deadline.

Thread Submission

Make your official submission in this thread.

Because I will be using a custom track switcher, your submission must include the following block of text, which I will copy-paste into my super-special judging tool:

Red: (portal ID #)

Blue: (portal ID #)

Green: (portal ID #)

Yellow: (portal ID #)

Start: (time in seconds)

End: (time in seconds)

Only include the Green and Yellow if your submission includes them, and only include the Start and End times if your song has an intro/outro. The portal ID # is found at the end of the URL.

For example:

Red: 3141592

Blue: 3236067

Start: 12.345

End: 69.420

Timeline

The jam starts now.

The last day to submit is Saturday September 25th, 2021, at 11:59 Eastern Daylight Time. That's 8:59 for you Californians and like really really late at night for you Europeans. Judging will last until I have personally listened to every submission. How long that will take will of course depend on how many submissions are made.

Prizes

This contest is sponsored by yours truly. After winners are announced, I will get in contact to send the prize directly by PayPal as soon as possible.

Prizes for placement are as follows:

1. $75
  2. $50
  3. $30
  4. $25
  5. $20

You should play my game. It's okay.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-07 14:45:36

At 9/7/21 12:04 PM, goldenPiGames wrote: Make a song with multiple sides that share a melody/progression but differ in instrumentation and stuff, so you can switch between them and it sounds cool. Planning and executing, above and below water, peace and combat, anything that's interesting.
I just think that this kind of thing is cool and it would be cool for there to be more of it available online.
A few examples of this kind of thing in existing games:

Criteria

Thread Submission
Make your official submission in this thread.

Because I will be using a custom track switcher, your submission must include the following block of text, which I will copy-paste into my super-special judging tool:

Red: (portal ID #)
Blue: (portal ID #)
Green: (portal ID #)
Yellow: (portal ID #)
Start: (time in seconds)
End: (time in seconds)

Only include the Green and Yellow if your submission includes them, and only include the Start and End times if your song has an intro/outro. The portal ID # is found at the end of the URL.

For example:

Red: 3141592
Blue: 3236067
Start: 12.345
End: 69.420

Timeline
The jam starts now.
The last day to submit is Saturday September 18th, 2021, at 11:59 Eastern Daylight Time. That's 8:59 for you Californians and like really really late at night for you Europeans. Judging will last until I have personally listened to every submission. How long that will take will of course depend on how many submissions are made.

Prizes
This contest is sponsored by yours truly. After winners are announced, I will get in contact to send the prize directly by PayPal as soon as possible.
Prizes for placement are as follows:

Wow this seems very cool. Music thst changes w the environment is such a cool form of storytelling. It really helps sell the themeing of something when all the music has the same bones but different skin. Its kind of like undertale where theres like 6 melodies but a bunch of variations on it

nothing to see here definently not kidnapped by bart simpson!!! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-08 06:27:54

consider me interested, still working on my nguac entry though. if i finish it early enough, i'll try to make an entry for this

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-11 01:33:48

Due to my failure to properly check for conflicts with other contests, the Twoside Audio Jam is hereby extended one week, to September 25.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-13 21:27:58

Challenge Accepted.

Sergal

-MauveDash

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-13 23:06:26

Interesting idea! I will join.

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-14 11:43:40

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-15 21:42:45

Here is my submission (hopefully I did it right.......the end and start time part)

Red: 1077841

Blue: 1077842

Start: 00:00

End: 01:13:195

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-15 22:16:31

At 9/15/21 09:42 PM, SkullPioneer wrote: Here is my submission (hopefully I did it right.......the end and start time part)

Red: 1077841
Blue: 1077842

Start: 00:00
End: 01:13:195

That's a valid submission, and the first one so far!

Some things about the times (for future submitters, don't you worry skull): I would prefer the separation between seconds and milliseconds to be a decimal point, but it's not a big deal. And you don't need to include the start and end times if the piece loops back-to-front without an intro/outro. The reason is that I'll be copy-pasting that block into a custom listening tool (that I can make and test now that there's a submission) when it's time for judging, and it's not a big deal for me to replace a few things, but it would be faster to have a consistent format, especially if I get a lot of submissions.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-17 01:54:41

At 9/16/21 07:46 PM, DemisurgeX wrote: Why not A-Side, B-Side?

i have very many very valid and good reasons for that

• A and B imply that one is the base version and the other is a variation, which is not necessarily the case here
  • red and blue sound cooler than letters of the alphabet
  • the only valid reason i had was the first one
  • i chose it like this mostly just because i wanted to

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-17 05:31:03

My submission (hope I did it right):

Red: 1078208

Blue: 1078209

Start: 00:00.038

End: 03:29.497

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-17 13:46:51 (edited 2021-09-17 13:48:32)

What's the preferrable length for the songs in this contest? Or at least, could you tell me what is inside the acceptable limits for said length? Thanks

Putting the "pro" in procrastination since 2000.

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-17 14:30:10

At 9/17/21 01:46 PM, AlbeGian wrote: What's the preferrable length for the songs in this contest? Or at least, could you tell me what is inside the acceptable limits for said length? Thanks

uhhh... between 0:30 seconds and 5:00. preferably closer to 1:30 or 2:00 or such. but don't worry about it too much. just like my favorite english teachers said, the substance is more important that the length

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-17 17:49:35

Good luck to all entrants!

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-21 01:41:33

hello, this is is your friendly neighborhood independent contest organizer/sponsor reminding you all that only five days remain until the deadline for this fine event. to remind you people is assuredly the only reason i am posting this, and not to bump this thread up the audio forum or for any other dark, nefarious purposes i am secretly harboring.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-21 06:33:18

At 9/21/21 01:41 AM, goldenPiGames wrote: hello, this is is your friendly neighborhood independent contest organizer/sponsor reminding you all that only five days remain until the deadline for this fine event. to remind you people is assuredly the only reason i am posting this, and not to bump this thread up the audio forum or for any other dark, nefarious purposes i am secretly harboring.

Ha nice, worked on me! I'll try making something with the time left.

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-21 20:28:32

Am I allowed to use an existing song I made as one of the sides, given that I change the description, tags, and what so to comply with the rest of the rules.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-22 00:23:35 (edited 2021-09-22 00:23:53)

At 9/21/21 08:28 PM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Am I allowed to use an existing song I made as one of the sides, given that I change the description, tags, and what so to comply with the rest of the rules.

uhhhhhhh

sure, but to be fair, if you do, i'm gonna say you'll have to make two new sides for the competition. so the existing song would be one of at three sides.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-23 03:33:00

Red: 1079573

Blue: 1079574

Start: 00:00:55

End: 01:52:55

To stand out or to be left out?

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-23 06:51:04

I have multiple questions.

Im really interested in these thing and wanted to join. But i have a lot of questions on my mind.

1.) Is the track must be 8bit or chiptune? Or I can make any game music genre i want?

2.) I will post the track as a loop right?

3.) Can i add some ambience on my track or no.

And

4.) Can i make melody variations or no?

Artist please check out my art, and musician please check out my music.

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-23 11:59:32

At 9/23/21 06:51 AM, HalfDemureOfficial wrote: I have multiple questions.
Im really interested in these thing and wanted to join. But i have a lot of questions on my mind.
1.) Is the track must be 8bit or chiptune? Or I can make any game music genre i want?
2.) I will post the track as a loop right?
3.) Can i add some ambience on my track or no.
And
4.) Can i make melody variations or no?

1. any genre
  2. sure, if that's easier. or if it has intro and outro, specify the part that loops
  3. not sure what you mean by ambience but it probably doesn't matter
  4. melody variations are fine as long as it still kinda fits together

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-23 22:32:48

Red: 1755007
Blue: 1755008
Green: 1755010
Yellow: 1755012
Start: 54.857
End: 274.285

ADDITIONAL INFO:

• More accurate start time: 32/(140/60) [bars/(BPM/seconds in a minute)]
  • More accurate end time: 160/(140/60)
  • BPM: 140
  • Sections(in bars):
  1. 1-32: Intro
  2. 33-64: Main A
  3. 65-96: Solo/break
  4. 97-128: Main A+
  5. 129-160: "Cooldown"/break
  6. 161-176: Outro
  • Scale: Whatever C# F# is.... wait that's F-major... I think? Too lazy to look it up.

DESCRIPTION:

Huzzah! My submission! Instead of being productive and/or finishing my current album, I decided to spend a few days to make... four tracks. Originally I was going for 2 but then my creativity fired up and demanded two more variations... so now I have four.

Also like the impatient eejit I am, I just went ahead and made the songs without fully taking a moment to learn what a twoside audio really is. Though I do have an excuse: I got alotta work I need to do.

So yeah have my submission. Hopefully what I made counts as a twosided audio?

I mean each side is divided into four sections (excluding intro and outro), and the chord progression mostly stays the same... but I may or may not have taken liberties in terms of drum beats so they may not sound all that great if you switch between them too quickly. I theorize fading from one track to another may work a lot better though I wasn't able to test it simply because I just can't get my MP3s off my phone.

Also first time using my new headphones for creating/mixing. Hopefully it's mastered better than my previous tracks...

and also my desktop audio setup is not ready, so I'm basically trusting FL Studio Mobile 3 to not mess up the exports.

LIST OF INSTRUMENTS USED:

• All stock from FLSM3 no DLC any%
  • Full list of each can be found in the track descriptions.

p.s.

I always gotta include a post script when making a submission. This one will talk about why each of the four sides are in different files. That's because my phone could handle at most 1.5 sides of instruments before it starts to lag a fair bit. It just doesn't like muted tracks I guess.

p.p.s.

Gotta include the pps as well. I normally don't care about track names, but this time since I'm linking the download to the source file (for those who want to alter/mod more to their liking) are probably going to look through it (hopefully) I decided to spend a bit more time renaming all the tracks to appropriate names... I list everything under CC Attribution, go crazy.

also dang Newgrounds doesn't support filedumps of FLSM files

p.p.p.s.

Another one? Yes. Though the song can loop with the intro and outro, it's more of a fade out and then intro so... last minute loop-friendly end section here I come.

p.p.p.p.s.

Okay last one I swear. If you take the time to stare at the song album art (the individual ones) you'll notice 3/4 of them says PAINTIN'... I'm just a forgetful airhead. Also you probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't told you... ah well.

Enter your signature text...

Just kidding.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-23 23:23:02 (edited 2021-09-23 23:28:31)

At 9/23/21 10:32 PM, PartyBalloof wrote: More accurate start time: 32/(140/60) [bars/(BPM/seconds in a minute)]
More accurate end time: 160/(140/60)

My brain truly just stopped working. For this bit I meant:

• More accurate start time: (32*4)/(140/60) [(bars*beats)/(BPM/seconds in a minute)]
  • More accurate end time: (160*4)/(140/60)

Also is it okay to resubmit the tracks with new ID as just loopables? At the loop end, 274.285 takes away too much, and 274.286 includes too much, which makes the loop quite not very loopy.

If not I can just link the dump of the loopables and link that?

And also also I took a listen... and turns out Red and Green go well together, and Blue and Yellow go decently together. Jumping immediately from Red/Green to Blue/Yellow is a bit jarring...

Just kidding.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-24 00:10:44

At 9/23/21 10:32 PM, PartyBalloof wrote: ADDITIONAL INFO:

DESCRIPTION:
Huzzah! My submission! Instead of being productive and/or finishing my current album, I decided to spend a few days to make... four tracks. Originally I was going for 2 but then my creativity fired up and demanded two more variations... so now I have four.

Also like the impatient eejit I am, I just went ahead and made the songs without fully taking a moment to learn what a twoside audio really is. Though I do have an excuse: I got alotta work I need to do.

I mean each side is divided into four sections (excluding intro and outro), and the chord progression mostly stays the same... but I may or may not have taken liberties in terms of drum beats so they may not sound all that great if you switch between them too quickly. I theorize fading from one track to another may work a lot better though I wasn't able to test it simply because I just can't get my MP3s off my phone.

Also first time using my new headphones for creating/mixing. Hopefully it's mastered better than my previous tracks...
and also my desktop audio setup is not ready, so I'm basically trusting FL Studio Mobile 3 to not mess up the exports.

p.s.
I always gotta include a post script when making a submission. This one will talk about why each of the four sides are in different files. That's because my phone could handle at most 1.5 sides of instruments before it starts to lag a fair bit. It just doesn't like muted tracks I guess.

p.p.s.
Gotta include the pps as well. I normally don't care about track names, but this time since I'm linking the download to the source file (for those who want to alter/mod more to their liking) are probably going to look through it (hopefully) I decided to spend a bit more time renaming all the tracks to appropriate names... I list everything under CC Attribution, go crazy.

p.p.p.s.
Another one? Yes. Though the song can loop with the intro and outro, it's more of a fade out and then intro so... last minute loop-friendly end section here I come.

p.p.p.p.s.
Okay last one I swear. If you take the time to stare at the song album art (the individual ones) you'll notice 3/4 of them says PAINTIN'... I'm just a forgetful airhead. Also you probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't told you... ah well.

I'll need you to give the audio portal IDs, not the project IDs. And I probably wouldn't worry if the looping is off by less than a thousandth of a second, as i think that's the kind of difference that only an audiophile would only notice if they were specifically listening for it.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-24 01:46:37 (edited 2021-09-24 01:46:48)

At 9/24/21 12:10 AM, goldenPiGames wrote:
At 9/23/21 10:32 PM, PartyBalloof wrote: ADDITIONAL INFO:

DESCRIPTION:

p.s.

p.p.s.

p.p.p.s.

p.p.p.p.s.
I'll need you to give the audio portal IDs, not the project IDs. And I probably wouldn't worry if the looping is off by less than a thousandth of a second, as i think that's the kind of difference that only an audiophile would only notice if they were specifically listening for it.

Whoops! Lemme try again

Red: 1079752
Blue: 1079753
Green: 1079754
Yellow: 1079756
Start: 54.857
End: 274.286

Just kidding.

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-25 00:04:12

iu_428693_7143572.webp

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-25 01:13:24

Red: 1755782

Blue: 1755781

Green: 1755776

Start: 0

End: 142

nothing to see here definently not kidnapped by bart simpson!!! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-25 13:45:43

Here are my subs -

Red - 1080125

Blue - 1080126

loopStart = 0.00

loopEnd = 36.42090

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-25 21:30:36

Managed to finish them on time!

Red: 1080252

Blue: 1080253

Start: 0:00

LoopEnd: 1:52

Response to Twoside Audio Jam 2021-09-25 22:42:01 (edited 2021-09-25 22:43:50)

Red: (1756377)

Blue: (1756386)