00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The big "what are you working on?" thread

7,460 Views | 93 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-09-17 11:02:42

At 9/17/21 05:12 AM, DiskCrash wrote: Haxe and Heaps.io

I already have a sort of scripting engine running that defines bullet logic from plain text files. Has simple mathematics support like (0.5*pi)-2 and I'm trying to use an Entity-Component-System architecture

I started writing a bullet hell lib, but I stopped before getting into heavy scripting territory. This one looks cool!

I’m also getting into ECS more. Right now I’m trying to find the library for me, as everyone has made their own it seems. The one I’m trying now seems good, so once I get my project compiling, I’ll be able to write something up about ECS and Heaps.

At 9/17/21 11:02 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 9/17/21 05:12 AM, DiskCrash wrote: Haxe and Heaps.io

I already have a sort of scripting engine running that defines bullet logic from plain text files. Has simple mathematics support like (0.5*pi)-2 and I'm trying to use an Entity-Component-System architecture
I started writing a bullet hell lib, but I stopped before getting into heavy scripting territory. This one looks cool!

I’m also getting into ECS more. Right now I’m trying to find the library for me, as everyone has made their own it seems. The one I’m trying now seems good, so once I get my project compiling, I’ll be able to write something up about ECS and Heaps.

I should've phrased it better on my first post as I'm not making a library, but something simple for my own use. I don't know how well this'll translate to native targets but this seems to be working okay on web browsers.

I translate instructions (like "dir <angle>") to anonymous `engine.components.Programmable->Int->Void` functions (engine.components.Programmable being my custom component type) and store those functions in an array that I then traverse through the game loop. Seems to run pretty well.

For example the "dir <angle>" instruction is parsed like so

case "dir":
  var angle = pNCalc.calculate();
  arrayAction.push(function(prog, id) {
    engine.systems.Programmable.direction(prog, id, angle);
  });

and is stored in the action array that I then go through during the game loop. Then I have the function that actually executes the instruction

public static function direction(prog:engine.components.Programmable, id:Int, angle:Float){
  prog.bulletAngle = angle;
  next(prog, id);
}

Interpreting text instructions on each tick is very expensive and hard to maintain. Once I set up these anonymous function arrays, not only it became easier to maintain, but adding new instructions became super easy. Furthermore loops were very easy to implement.

For more info:
`pNCalc.calculate()` calculates the Polish Notation generated by the AST of mathematical expressions without variables so that during runtime the result is already pre-calculated from when it was first parsed. The `next` function calls the next instruction until it reaches the `wait`, `noop` (no operation), `halt`, or `vanish` instruction (otherwise it spirals out of control lol).

It's in no way anything fancy because I tried to make it as simple as possible without overloading my brain. But I'm still thinking of implementing function constants like how in BulletML you can pass arguments to a function that then changes the way the program sequence works. Add to that, I want to also add the loop cycle/index constant that would result in different mathematical expressions on each loop cycle. These constants would be easily pre-calculated on the initial program parsing with no performance penalty during gameplay, or so I believe. And I just remembered that I still don't have a `random()` instruction implemented (and this might actually be the hardest one to do as it can't be pre-calculated lol).

And regarding ECS, I feel like I should use a library for that. I'm still hardcoding one myself, but I feel like I might end up shooting myself in the foot in the long run. But I'll probably stick to using my own inflexible implementation lol

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-09-17 12:24:20

I'm working on releasing my code library for making html5 tile based games.

Alongside the library will be a tool that takes a sprite sheet and placed art as input and outputs a full coded game.

I've been working on it for the past 8 or so years.. everything is finally headed toward release stages.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-09-17 15:17:37

Here is another image from my game.

You may notice she has the same pose as in the concept art of Claudia Wolf from Silent Hill 3

iu_420889_5483173.jpg

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-03 01:21:34

Working on a turn-based strategy game similar in style to Advance Wars, Wargroove, and super Robot Wars. I started working on the concept, script, and design stuff a few years ago and have slowly been finding artists, sound producers, and other people to help me fill in on the things I don't know how to do. You can check out some more over on posts and the links to Twtiter!

iu_435703_9743839.pngiu_435704_9743839.gif

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-03 20:33:35

At 10/3/21 01:21 AM, RoseBoiNoah wrote: Working on a turn-based strategy game similar in style to Advance Wars, Wargroove, and super Robot Wars. I started working on the concept, script, and design stuff a few years ago and have slowly been finding artists, sound producers, and other people to help me fill in on the things I don't know how to do. You can check out some more over on posts and the links to Twtiter!

The art looks great! I am very fond of Into the Breach. Look forward to seeing more.

BBS Signature

Hi everyone,

I am working on my first videogame in Unity, A platformer based on switch the gravity in any moment with inmediate effect what allow the players be like a flying ninja through short and quick stages.

Currently there are 100 stages completed, divided in more than 5 leves of difficulty.

Last days i added random background menu and effects depend on the worlds you have unlocked, set the unlockeables and progress, added intro and quick animation in stages beginning.

I will develop a second demo soon (first is already in newgrounds) in order to have any feedback and critics.

Music in video is just provisional, not in final game.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-08 11:56:04

i've had a lot of stuff cooking in the brain for ages, some of it i've started on and abandoned somewhere along the way due to complications, multiple times... currently education is keeping me busy. the main project i would like to be focusing on, due to its somewhat more manageable scope, is a lil 2d action platformer i hope to bring to NG at some point.

still haven't settled on any framework or engine, but i'd like to build natively for PC + web. probably gonna end up being either emscripten stuff or haxe stuff, not sure. my vision for the game visually involves 3d characters on 2d backgrounds (a-la Sonic Rush) but nothing super advanced, so i like to keep it as lightweight as possible.

the main pull behind this project though isn't as much the game itself, but everything surrounding it: i want as much of the game's content, including character designs, music, and code, to be public domain or otherwise free for anyone to use. this will allow people to make commercial fanworks with no restrictions. but yeah, still a while till we get there!

in the meantime, i've continued to do a little additional coding work on Friday Night Funkin' here and there. some minor improvements and tweaks, and custom note colour stuff that may appear in the next version. (old screenshot)

iu_440649_3448633.webp

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-19 16:48:01

I am currently working on a Text-Based RPG ^^

Movement via Buttons, Turn-Based, Combat, a Hand full of Jobs you can do, and a few other Ideas are currently running around in my head ^^ It's supposed to be the first game I might actually get to the point where I can release it ^^

I wanna keep the Scope small but I do wanna show my Skill ^^

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-21 21:38:58

I've been doing small unity projects just to practice a bit, this is the one I started yesterday

iu_452120_8516920.gif

I am not good at making 3d models or animations, so the character looks a bit stiff

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-21 23:16:17

At 10/19/21 04:48 PM, The404Bunny wrote: I wanna keep the Scope small but I do wanna show my Skill ^^

I think the best way to show your skill is to finish and publish your game :) good luck!

I am in love with a specific ECS library right now, and I don't hate Heaps after using it for a couple months. I mentioned posting about it soon, but I'm actually getting really good experience right now and want to post about all of what I'm doing. Before the end of the year, hopefully...

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-22 08:36:20

At 10/21/21 11:16 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 10/19/21 04:48 PM, The404Bunny wrote: I wanna keep the Scope small but I do wanna show my Skill ^^
I think the best way to show your skill is to finish and publish your game :) good luck!

I am in love with a specific ECS library right now, and I don't hate Heaps after using it for a couple months. I mentioned posting about it soon, but I'm actually getting really good experience right now and want to post about all of what I'm doing. Before the end of the year, hopefully...

Well good luck for you too! ^^

I am.uploading Dev-Logs in here now and again :3 but since I started two weeks ago...it will take a long time to get it finished ^^ but as of now, everything works great

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-24 13:35:33

At 10/22/21 08:36 AM, The404Bunny wrote: I am.uploading Dev-Logs in here now and again :3 but since I started two weeks ago...it will take a long time to get it finished ^^ but as of now, everything works great

Thanks for mentioning your devblogs! I forget about people's user page news section sometimes, it's cool to peruse!

Also love seeing everyone continuing to contribute here and share what you're working on! Very cool to see in-progress pics and hear about what you're learning or struggles. I'm curious about what people's schedules are for doing this creative work: are you doing it fulltime? If not, do you have a regular time every day to do it or more of a sporadic schedule?

I've been traveling a lot recently while trying to continue working my remote dayjob, so haven't had a lot of regular schedule. I feel like I used to be a lot more productive even just doing a consistent 1 hour a day on the same project, so I might try to go back to that. I'm mostly working on learning WebGPU and writing an article about it.

I want to try and make a small game soon because I miss releasing thing, not sure where to post to reach a good audience (and not knowing that makes it harder for me to start because I'd rather plan ahead of time if this is gonna be a web thing or another platform etc).

I did pre-order a PlayDate (https://play.date/) a while back and I know there was some talk about all devices being dev kits and you could develop games for that, that might be fun once it arrives.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-10-24 13:37:31

Currently I'm working on Bug Bite Billy a small dungeon crawler top down shooter with randomly generated dungeons. Soon I'd also like to add a weapon creation system as well. Though I do have other projects in the back burner this is my main project thus far. I uploaded the game several months ago and have continued to update it periodically with the new update just being release. I'm happy to announce that the full random dungeon generator is now in full effect in the game and now you can go through dungeons rather than just turn left or right! I've also added chests containing the game's weapons, so now enemies won't drop them anymore. There have been a lot of changes as well you can read the full devlogs on the game page at itch.io or on Patreon too. A lot of adjustments have been made to improve the overall experience and there will be more soon.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-09 08:03:03

I've been studying C# and Unity for like a year now, I've been practicing by making a lot of stupid little things like walking sims where you just have to touch glowing lights, one where you're on a pool table pushing the balls into holes to practice physics, nothing you wouldn't find in Unity self-learning books so I'm not about to post them or anything because they're all the same practice games everyone makes.

I do have three major games in the pipeline that I pick away at little by little on a daily basis even if I'm just sketching things out in CSP or just just drawing assets in general

1.) My major project I really want to succeed is a PS1-style adventure game inspired by Mega Man Legends, but it will have a modern over-the-shoulder style shooting control for people who can't get into the tank controls

2.) I have a side scrolling prequel to Project 1 that has Mega Man X-style gameplay (do you see the pattern here)

3.) I'm remaking the Fantastic Voyage game that was on ZX Spectrum because holy shit I loved that game as a kid and I can't believe it's never been remade so I'm doing that as well

I'm ashamed to admit that besides having a folder full of textures and backgrounds I've made for project 3 I don't really have anything to show besides the fact that I'm still working on character designs for projects 1/2 and the closest I have to gameplay for those is a cube sliding around in a test map with a gun (think Tofu) to fine-tune my movement script to get it JUST right

At 7/10/21 02:10 PM, OmarShehata wrote: This is a thread where you can share updates about what you're currently working on, to get feedback, some extra motivation, or just share what you're up to with the community!

No strict rules - whether you're working on the next big thing, a small game jam game, or just getting started and learning a new tool, all are welcome here!

This is kind of like the long running "Flash reg lounge", but focused more on posting updates on stuff you're working and talking about it. I know the "regulars lounge" can be a bit a intimidating if you're new to the community.

Ok then... I'm working on an update of my *Scratch* game. Rn doing stats update, and a new gameplay feature, hope the update to be small and fast

NW

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-17 22:11:37

Working on a update for my first game ever Cowardly Heroes that released a week ago!

Released my first game ever: Cowardly Heroes!

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-18 09:03:45

At 11/17/21 10:11 PM, IrisEdgeStudios wrote: Working on a update for my first game ever Cowardly Heroes that released a week ago!

Congrats on releasing your first game!! It looks awesome!

How long did it take you to finish? I still have never made the jump from web games to mobile games, would love to hear any post-mortem thoughts you have about how the game is doing/how easy or hard it was to find an audience etc.

I have this big fear with mobile games, that I'll commit a bunch of time & effort and release it and like 7 people will play it. As opposed to web games where I think at least a few thousand people will play it (especially if it's part of a game jam or something).

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-18 14:34:45

At 11/18/21 09:03 AM, OmarShehata wrote:
At 11/17/21 10:11 PM, IrisEdgeStudios wrote: Working on a update for my first game ever Cowardly Heroes that released a week ago!
Congrats on releasing your first game!! It looks awesome!

How long did it take you to finish? I still have never made the jump from web games to mobile games, would love to hear any post-mortem thoughts you have about how the game is doing/how easy or hard it was to find an audience etc.

I have this big fear with mobile games, that I'll commit a bunch of time & effort and release it and like 7 people will play it. As opposed to web games where I think at least a few thousand people will play it (especially if it's part of a game jam or something).

Thanks, that means a lot!

Took me 2 years of my free time, but its a ridiculously hard market. You either get published by a big company, or spend a LOT of money on marketing, or just have AMAZING game (and even sometimes thats sadly not enough...) because the market is flooded with new cheaply made horrible spam games and its extremely hard to market your game. I had, and have, the same fear as you do, currently only about 150 people played my game after a week or so after the release.

Released my first game ever: Cowardly Heroes!

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-23 18:01:04

Just working on Misfortune. This is gonna be the first real survival horror games on newgrounds. This is just the navigation system of the game though. Its point and click essentially but this is the 1 of 3 elements of the game, the puzzles are next and then the hard part is the combat.

iu_479612_7730040.gif

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-25 09:38:55

At 11/23/21 06:01 PM, Outsideboxproduction wrote: Just working on Misfortune. This is gonna be the first real survival horror games on newgrounds. This is just the navigation system of the game though. Its point and click essentially but this is the 1 of 3 elements of the game, the puzzles are next and then the hard part is the combat.

I think I've played games like that on Newgrounds before.

Although not a follower of [hseroK divaD], she's a devoted Branch Davidian.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-25 13:03:17

Slowly working on mah gaehm

With hiatuses up to a month long

This will never see the light of day LOL

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-11-25 16:03:29

At 11/25/21 09:38 AM, SkyFire2008 wrote:
At 11/23/21 06:01 PM, Outsideboxproduction wrote: Just working on Misfortune. This is gonna be the first real survival horror games on newgrounds. This is just the navigation system of the game though. Its point and click essentially but this is the 1 of 3 elements of the game, the puzzles are next and then the hard part is the combat.
I think I've played games like that on Newgrounds before.

Point and click is nothing new. But combining the other gameplay modes change it up. The "get it right or die" puzzles as well as the isometric rpg turn based combat we're sorting out change things up a little. But Until I finish the last few settings images on the section we're working on now, puzzles and combat are on the back burner.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-12-05 07:06:17

At one point I thought of using pixel art spaceships for my current (never to be finished lol) game

iu_488980_2360410.png

but I much rather use chibies with a hecking lot of dakka (but I have no clue how to 3d model)

iu_488981_2360410.gif

BBS Signature

Honestly, right now I've been feeling burnt out from gamedev, so I'm taking a bit of a break from it for now.

My current project involves a horror hack&slash game called Pocket Killers on Newgrounds. It is currently in Beta mode and I'm working on adding different game-modes and objectives to the game's core mechanic to spice things up. The plan is also to change the story-mode in-game a bit more so each chapter/level has a slightly different objective instead of simply killing every enemy on the map.

https://imgur.com/a/YgP8Myi this is a gif for the gameplay of Pocket Killers.

iu_489085_9985327.webp

Play the game Pocket Killers Here if you like slasher stuff. (Especially if you like playing as the killers in horror)

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-12-08 01:38:53

zelda..tetris... thats kind of a big question

Wow! So many really cool looking projects here. It is a bit intimidating to add my own post but...

I've been working on leveling up my Unity and C# skills. I have a really solid programming background but not much of a game dev background. However, I've been asked to teach a Game Dev course so it has put me in a situation where I need to learn it to stay ahead of my students. Over the past 4 weekends, I participated in Trijam, game jam which challenges its participants to complete a game in 3 hours. Each weekend I tried to build a game in 3 or fewer hours. It was **tough**. I only managed to stay under 3 hours on one of my projects. The other 3 I went over. But, I felt like I made a ton of progress in leveling up my Unity and C# skills.

The most recent Trijam was #149 with the theme "Flip". This is the first of the jams where I made a game that I really felt like the game I made felt like an *almost* real game. I'm actually quite proud of it. I based the basic game controls on a game called Flipping Legends but it kinda took on a pretty different feel.

iu_497413_10149573.gif

Flippin' Quick is fast paced action game where you have to move very quickly to get to the end of the level before time runs out. There are enemies that, when destroyed give you some bonus time, coins which can be used to buy upgrades to give you more time / bonus time / backflips, and spikes which... make your flippin' die.

It was super fun to work on the project and I live streamed most of the development so I can go back and potentially use it to make a "How To" video at some point.

All that to say that I'm really feeling good about this project and am happy that I am making some reasonable progress in Unity. If you're interested in playing it and giving me feedback both good and critical, I would forever be grateful. Here is the new grounds project link: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/825677

Also... if you're interested in checking out the other 3 games I made, they're available on my itch.io page:

Going back, I can see a serious progression between each game and again, I'm quite proud of how much I've grown in the last month.

Anyway... thanks for reading / giving me a space to brain dump.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-12-14 21:50:21

At 12/14/21 07:57 PM, jocolloman wrote: Over the past 4 weekends, I participated in Trijam, game jam which challenges its participants to complete a game in 3 hours. Each weekend I tried to build a game in 3 or fewer hours.

Wowow, that's really good! It takes me 3 hours just to set up a new project. I was going to do a jam this week, but I don't have the time that I was expecting to have to throw something together quickly.

I need to see how much I can post about what I'm working on now, but I'm having fun developing it. On the art side, it's a big collab project.

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2021-12-17 10:35:16

At 12/14/21 07:57 PM, jocolloman wrote: Wow! So many really cool looking projects here. It is a bit intimidating to add my own post but...

I've been working on leveling up my Unity and C# skills. I have a really solid programming background but not much of a game dev background. However, I've been asked to teach a Game Dev course so it has put me in a situation where I need to learn it to stay ahead of my students. Over the past 4 weekends, I participated in Trijam, game jam which challenges its participants to complete a game in 3 hours. Each weekend I tried to build a game in 3 or fewer hours. It was **tough**. I only managed to stay under 3 hours on one of my projects. The other 3 I went over. But, I felt like I made a ton of progress in leveling up my Unity and C# skills.

The most recent Trijam was #149 with the theme "Flip". This is the first of the jams where I made a game that I really felt like the game I made felt like an *almost* real game. I'm actually quite proud of it. I based the basic game controls on a game called Flipping Legends but it kinda took on a pretty different feel.

Flippin' Quick is fast paced action game where you have to move very quickly to get to the end of the level before time runs out. There are enemies that, when destroyed give you some bonus time, coins which can be used to buy upgrades to give you more time / bonus time / backflips, and spikes which... make your flippin' die.

It was super fun to work on the project and I live streamed most of the development so I can go back and potentially use it to make a "How To" video at some point.

All that to say that I'm really feeling good about this project and am happy that I am making some reasonable progress in Unity. If you're interested in playing it and giving me feedback both good and critical, I would forever be grateful. Here is the new grounds project link: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/825677

Also... if you're interested in checking out the other 3 games I made, they're available on my itch.io page:

Going back, I can see a serious progression between each game and again, I'm quite proud of how much I've grown in the last month.

Anyway... thanks for reading / giving me a space to brain dump.

Reminds me of Geometry dash, in a good way

Play the game Pocket Killers Here if you like slasher stuff. (Especially if you like playing as the killers in horror)

BBS Signature

Response to The big "what are you working on?" thread 2022-01-01 13:06:24

Happy New Year everybody!

I just finished up Bored Pixels Jam #9 (https://itch.io/jam/bored-pixels-jam-9)! It was a blast programming for this project. This was my first group project and the artist was incredible. We made a short puzzle RPG game in the style of Zelda.

The protagonist is from a village of Geomancers and is on a journey to learn how to control the elements. Ukia's first trial is in an Ice Temple where they must find the 4 elemental crystals which will allow them to absorb powers from the nearby environment.

As usual, not enough time to finish everything you want in a Jam but it is beatable with a puzzle Yeti boss at the end.

iu_512897_10149573.png

iu_512898_10149573.gif

Thanks for listening and Happy New Year!

If you're interested in playing, you can find it on my itch.io page: https://jocolloman.itch.io/bpj9