00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

is it possible to port FNF on Wii?

2,313 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Honestly this was just one of those dumb thought u get every once in a while at 3am when you're half awake and the idea just won't leave my head

It makes sorta sense u can use the Wiimote and swing it up, down, left, and right to play notes and u can hold a button when needing to do those notes that drag

I would do it but I have 0 idea on how to code let alone port a game to a last last gen system so I was wondering if u or anyone else could do it

(maybe if I pledge enough money to ninjamuffin99, he will port it to the Wii)

Preceding unsigned comment added by littleMAHER1

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-08 21:05:43

At 6/8/21 06:38 PM, littleMAHER1 wrote: Honestly this was just one of those dumb thought u get every once in a while at 3am when you're half awake and the idea just won't leave my head

It makes sorta sense u can use the Wiimote and swing it up, down, left, and right to play notes and u can hold a button when needing to do those notes that drag

I would do it but I have 0 idea on how to code let alone port a game to a last last gen system so I was wondering if u or anyone else could do it

Haxe seems pretty versatile but I'm not sure - I know most newer gen consoles would be possible to port to though.

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-08 23:06:20

Well I did a small amount of digging. It doesn't look like you can easily port it to the Wii itself, but HaxeFlixel does appear to have Wiimote support. So, putting Wiimote support in Friday Night Funkin could absolutely be doable, you'd just have to connect the remote to your PC.

From what I can tell from the docs, it also gives data for controller rotation and pointing.

I kind of want to make this myself now, even though swinging the Wiimote sounds like a terrible input method.

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 16:45:52

At 6/8/21 11:06 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Well I did a small amount of digging. It doesn't look like you can easily port it to the Wii itself, but HaxeFlixel does appear to have Wiimote support. So, putting Wiimote support in Friday Night Funkin could absolutely be doable, you'd just have to connect the remote to your PC.

From what I can tell from the docs, it also gives data for controller rotation and pointing.

I kind of want to make this myself now, even though swinging the Wiimote sounds like a terrible input method.

Wiimote + nunchuck perhaps?

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 17:07:33

Ok yes

NoobyGotHit AMA! (Only supporters)

The Newgrounds Roblox Noob and creator of the stupid thread, “Is Pico Gay?”.

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 18:26:21

At 6/9/21 04:45 PM, Hazard-Hat wrote:
At 6/8/21 11:06 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Well I did a small amount of digging. It doesn't look like you can easily port it to the Wii itself, but HaxeFlixel does appear to have Wiimote support. So, putting Wiimote support in Friday Night Funkin could absolutely be doable, you'd just have to connect the remote to your PC.

Yeah that might work better, but as far as I'm aware the accelerometer on the Nunchuk is way less accurate than the Wiimote, but it's worth a shot. Also for the record I've been trying to get a Wiimote hooked into the game all day today, but HaxeFlixel doesn't seem to be detecting it which is lovely.

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 20:12:21

At 6/9/21 06:26 PM, glotchalotch wrote:

Yeah that might work better, but as far as I'm aware the accelerometer on the Nunchuk is way less accurate than the Wiimote, but it's worth a shot. Also for the record I've been trying to get a Wiimote hooked into the game all day today, but HaxeFlixel doesn't seem to be detecting it which is lovely.

text here when you're able to figure it out cause this seems so cool

At 6/9/21 08:12 PM, littleMAHER1 wrote:
At 6/9/21 06:26 PM, glotchalotch wrote:

text here when you're able to figure it out cause this seems so cool

Thanks! I'll try some more. Luckily (or unluckily), it seems to be an issue specifically with HaxeFlixel detecting the Wiimote, not with the driver or Windows. The custom driver you have to install works for everything else, and HaxeFlixel detects other gamepads, but of course it's the one specific thing I need that doesn't work.

Maybe if this doesn't work I could try a hackier workaround, but who knows if this will even keep my attention span for that long?

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 20:23:22

At 6/9/21 06:26 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Yeah that might work better, but as far as I'm aware the accelerometer on the Nunchuk is way less accurate than the Wiimote, but it's worth a shot. Also for the record I've been trying to get a Wiimote hooked into the game all day today, but HaxeFlixel doesn't seem to be detecting it which is lovely.

You can try motion controls on: "keyboard to controller" programs, like Joytokey.

Of course I haven't tried using a Wiimote on it, so it may not work.

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 20:25:54

At 6/9/21 08:23 PM, Hazard-Hat wrote:
At 6/9/21 06:26 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Yeah that might work better, but as far as I'm aware the accelerometer on the Nunchuk is way less accurate than the Wiimote, but it's worth a shot. Also for the record I've been trying to get a Wiimote hooked into the game all day today, but HaxeFlixel doesn't seem to be detecting it which is lovely.
You can try motion controls on: "keyboard to controller" programs, like Joytokey.
Of course I haven't tried using a Wiimote on it, so it may not work.

Yeah that's one of the solutions I've already thought about. It does detect the movement in JoyToKey, but I don't know if I can actually get the angle of the Wiimote or if it will only tell me if it's pitched or non-pitched.

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 20:30:28

At 6/9/21 08:25 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Yeah that's one of the solutions I've already thought about. It does detect the movement in JoyToKey, but I don't know if I can actually get the angle of the Wiimote or if it will only tell me if it's pitched or non-pitched.

Noob question: what do you mean by: pitched or non-pitched? (I never played any motion intensive Wii games like Wii sports)

BBS Signature

At 6/9/21 08:30 PM, Hazard-Hat wrote:
At 6/9/21 08:25 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Yeah that's one of the solutions I've already thought about. It does detect the movement in JoyToKey, but I don't know if I can actually get the angle of the Wiimote or if it will only tell me if it's pitched or non-pitched.
Noob question: what do you mean by: pitched or non-pitched? (I never played any motion intensive Wii games like Wii sports)

Sorry, probably should have said "angled". I just meant that it would be telling me whether it's actually turned in a direction or not without actually telling me the angle.

Also I looked it up and AutoHotKey might be a way better option than JoyToKey. I don't really want to use external stuff unless it's a last resort though. Asking people to install a custom driver is probably way too big of an ask on its own if I ever want to release this lol.

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 20:37:47

At 6/9/21 08:34 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Also I looked it up and AutoHotKey might be a way better option than JoyToKey. I don't really want to use external stuff unless it's a last resort though. Asking people to install a custom driver is probably way too big of an ask on its own if I ever want to release this lol.

Maybe try swinging, instead of detecting whether or not it's facing up or down. But I'm sure you already tried that since tilting it would be really jank for a rhythm game.

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 20:42:13

At 6/9/21 08:37 PM, Hazard-Hat wrote:
At 6/9/21 08:34 PM, glotchalotch wrote: Also I looked it up and AutoHotKey might be a way better option than JoyToKey. I don't really want to use external stuff unless it's a last resort though. Asking people to install a custom driver is probably way too big of an ask on its own if I ever want to release this lol.
Maybe try swinging, instead of detecting whether or not it's facing up or down. But I'm sure you already tried that since tilting it would be really jank for a rhythm game.

I'd have to detect swinging by seeing if the angle is changed, because it doesn't actually give you position details, only angles. I'm thinking maybe the best option is swing up/down for up/down, and tilt left/right for left/right. I'm thinking of ways to strike a balance between "actually possible with what I'm given" and "playing Bopeebo on normal won't give you a wrist injury".

so cool!

BBS Signature

Well I did a lot of tracing down to code that is well beyond my skill level, and I think I found the issue. This is exactly what I was hoping wouldn't be the case: The library that interfaces with the controllers most likely just removed the code that dealt with the Wii Remote. I don't understand a lick of C, but seeing this list with Wii Remote absent is just about enough to confirm my suspicions.

iu_326937_8720543.png

That sucks. Oh well, time to figure out a different solution!

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-09 23:09:07

I can't believe people are actually trying to do this idea

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-14 22:08:51

iu_330846_8720543.gif

so cool!

BBS Signature

so it's working?

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-14 22:48:19

At 6/14/21 10:28 PM, littleMAHER1 wrote: so it's working?

I haven't actually coded any gameplay, but after a lot of hours sat staring blankly at compiler errors wondering why I even bothered, I've linked the Wiimote to the game.

I had to figure out how to write custom C++ to access the Wiimote and then link that into HaxeFlixel, which wasn't exactly infeasible, but a.) I have no experience with C++ and b.) There's not a lot of documentation on the process. The second part wouldn't be an issue for someone more qualified than me because it's actually relatively straightforward, but I have pea brain and no experience with C++ (and more importantly, the compiler), so I basically went from the shallow end of the pool to the shark infested ocean.

Hopefully actually implementing it in the gameplay will be easier, but now that I've said that I've effectively jinxed myself. I realized that the accelerometer values swing to the extremes when you flick the remote, so that might have to be how I detect that. My only concern is that it might take too long to calculate that a swing has occured so it won't be precise enough.

so cool!

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-15 05:59:42

Theoretically yes

But it wont be fnf at that point lets be honest

Gods watching

No matter what

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-15 08:48:51

At 6/8/21 06:38 PM, littleMAHER1 wrote: Honestly this was just one of those dumb thought u get every once in a while at 3am when you're half awake and the idea just won't leave my head

I think you KINDA can, but it would be all laggy and the controls would work as shit and bruh

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-15 08:52:31

Well ehh... I dont think dats possible enough..

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-15 08:56:48

Friday Night Funkin on PSP and PS3 when?

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-15 14:55:33

At 6/15/21 08:48 AM, AmyChan-a wrote:

I think you KINDA can, but it would be all laggy and the controls would work as shit and bruh

the game isn't that intensive, it is 2D sprites so i dont think that it would be that laggy

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-15 14:59:31

At 6/15/21 02:55 PM, littleMAHER1 wrote:
At 6/15/21 08:48 AM, AmyChan-a wrote:

the game isn't that intensive, it is 2D sprites so i dont think that it would be that laggy

Yeah you're right

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-16 05:22:49

What are you smoking?

Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-16 17:15:56

At 6/16/21 05:22 AM, JOEYTHEMARILLFAN wrote:

What are you smoking?

dreams and fruit juice

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-28 10:48:00

well its probably possible the WII has a passionate homebrewing community and they found out to port a few games on homebrew so I guess its possible?

BBS Signature

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-06-28 14:01:55

For Switch you can port HTML5 games using a browser-like wrapper, which is why there's so much shovelware on the eshop. I think it's locked to the SDK, however, but it should be possible for the team to port it to the Switch, at least, in the future.

I've no luck finding an equivalent process for Wii, however. Pretty neat that you've got the controller working in haxe, though!

Response to is it possible to port FNF on Wii? 2021-07-06 23:47:05

Well, I finally got around to implementing it yesterday. The verdict... it's surprisingly competent. That's not to say that it's good, but it does work way way better than I expected. To the degree where I actually got a high score, on MILF, on hard. To be fair, I think that says more about me than the Wiimote, but considering I thought it would become unplayable after Bopeebo, I consider this a success. I've uploaded the code to github, but there's still a few more things I want to tweak before putting it out there for a full release.

I made a video of the tutorial to show how you all how the mod plays. I probably would have gotten an FC if I hadn't had to hold it so awkwardly over my laptop screen to film. Note that I switch to a claw stance after missing a note, because I found that's the best and most comfortable way to play this.

so cool!

BBS Signature