00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Raphbull just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

PM Send Reply grayed out

5,186 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-14 00:04:37

Send Reply on PM's is grayed out and doesn't work.

Effectively it is not possible to reply to PMs.

Some recent site bug?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-14 06:57:31

Maybe you are blocked by the person you're trying to send it too??

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-14 07:03:16

At 3/14/21 06:57 AM, Positron832 wrote: Maybe you are blocked by the person you're trying to send it too??

No. Apparently it's some thing about the sent box being full. Except the UI is lousy at relaying this information and all you know is that send reply is always grayed out unless you go digging around further.

Also there appears to be no easy way to mass delete things, which is a pretty big oversight.

Not very good UI design, that.

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-14 17:40:24

Here's a way to mass delete messages one page at a time (yes it's a pain but it's all we have right now).

Go to https://www.newgrounds.com/pm/sentbox. Click on "Manage Messages":

iu_257668_1730331.png

That will pop open the option to select all and delete.

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-14 18:48:54

At 3/14/21 05:40 PM, BrentHeMan wrote: Here's a way to mass delete messages one page at a time (yes it's a pain but it's all we have right now).

So that's where it went! Thanks, man.

Terrible UI design.

For starters, "Manage Messages" looks like it is just text telling you that on this screen you can manage your messages, without the slightest indication you need to actually click these words.

And secondly, the ability to select multiple messages from the left and delete them all should just be there by default, without having to do anything special to gain that ability.

I mean this is counter to just about every single other email or PM system on the planet as well as counter to anything resembling intuition.

Also, I deleted a few, but it still says 2.88mb / 2mb. This doesn't seem to be decreasing. Did they lower the limit at some point recently from what it previously had been? Because I haven't had these problems until a few days ago.

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-15 11:10:23 (edited 2021-03-15 11:12:03)

At 3/14/21 06:48 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also, I deleted a few, but it still says 2.88mb / 2mb. This doesn't seem to be decreasing. Did they lower the limit at some point recently from what it previously had been? Because I haven't had these problems until a few days ago.

The limit's actually been expanded for Supporters recently, though earlier restrictions on sentbox space started being enforced at the same time. More info if you're interested: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1464441

Agree it's not the most intuitive; not the most effortless a task to clear out a few hundred pages of sent items if you happen to have a lot of them, but should hopefully be a bit easier from here on out.

Would be helpful with a clear error message on what's causing the 'send' button to gray out if your Sentbox is full though for starters, if more people are having this same issue.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-15 15:29:13

At 3/15/21 11:10 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/14/21 06:48 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also, I deleted a few, but it still says 2.88mb / 2mb. This doesn't seem to be decreasing. Did they lower the limit at some point recently from what it previously had been? Because I haven't had these problems until a few days ago.
The limit's actually been expanded for Supporters recently, though earlier restrictions on sentbox space started being enforced at the same time. More info if you're interested: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1464441

Agree it's not the most intuitive; not the most effortless a task to clear out a few hundred pages of sent items if you happen to have a lot of them, but should hopefully be a bit easier from here on out.

Would be helpful with a clear error message on what's causing the 'send' button to gray out if your Sentbox is full though for starters, if more people are having this same issue.

Thanks, yeah.

It wasn't a good site-wide decision, IMO.

And 2 Megabytes does seem like an awfully restrictive limit, especially considering the abusively ridiculous sizes allowed for game or movie uploads. If Newgrounds was concerned about conserving storage then that would be the place to cut way back, not the PM system. I mean there's a lot of submissions that just feel like bandwidth abuse. And it's usually no amazing game or anything either -- just super super basic games that take up entirely too much bandwidth because the authors "just had to" include ridiculous amount of huge music, huge backgrounds, etc all over the place, and just generally not even making the slightest attempt at optimization before upload.

For the Newgrounds site admins, maybe cut back on *THAT* and leave the PM system alone. You're breaking things that weren't broken before. And you're confusing a lot of people.

And I understand if some rare gem of a game or movie takes some huge amount of space. Okay, fine, but how about by default disallow it, and if it's just super amazing (and for some reason cannot be optimized further), then special-case some of them at the discretion of @TomFulp himself.

I honestly don't see why we need submissions that take maybe about an hour to load (or close to it), yet such a vice grip on the PM storage, when it's pretty clear which one is the data hog.

Response to PM Send Reply grayed out 2021-03-28 21:39:01

At 3/14/21 05:40 PM, BrentHeMan wrote: Here's a way to mass delete messages one page at a time (yes it's a pain but it's all we have right now).

Hey, completely out of the blue, totally unrelated reply to this two week old thread but I couldn't pm you cause of your settings.

Just wanted to say thanks for sending me a tankman figurine for free about 7 years ago. I never replied to you back then like an idiot and only just realized I never did after revisiting newgrounds after a long while.

To answer your question, yes I did get the figurine! Still got it too and don't plan on ever getting rid of it!

Just wanted to let you guys know that you're awesome, and I'm planning on becoming a supporter pretty soon now that I'm not a broke little kid anymore!

Hope life's treated you well in the near decade I never replied back!

You bet your DJ I went so hard was if paper plates

BBS Signature