00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blozeoff just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law

4,431 Views | 39 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 12/30/20 11:49 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/30/20 11:36 AM, keepwalking wrote: In that case I should remove all my movies from my account...all of them have CR music
@Tom?
Any chance you still have the FLA files and could swap in different songs?

Only for the last work, the rest are lost.

EDIT: never mind I have them all. are you really gonna make me rewatch my old animations and cringe to death?. You are not leting me delete them, aint ya...

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2020-12-30 22:43:42

I found this movie is under judgment since 2014.

A glitch or the author decided to republish it?

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2020-12-31 07:30:28

At 12/30/20 10:43 PM, Abracadabra123 wrote: I found this movie is under judgment since 2014.

A glitch or the author decided to republish it?

I think it must have been unpublished and republished at some point, it probably just needs a few more votes!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2020-12-31 13:52:28

I wonder how this would directly effect the forums, since it includes images. Say starting a thread about Doctor Strange 2, and using the movie poster as part of the conversation starter.

I'm assuming embedding the trailer from the official movie channel would be okay, but I also wonder about linking to a portion of a movie from a user who doesn't happen to have permission. Would the liability end at the offending Youtube user or would they extend to NG and the user who linked to the clip?

BBS Signature

At 12/31/20 01:52 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: I wonder how this would directly effect the forums, since it includes images. Say starting a thread about Doctor Strange 2, and using the movie poster as part of the conversation starter.

I'm assuming embedding the trailer from the official movie channel would be okay, but I also wonder about linking to a portion of a movie from a user who doesn't happen to have permission. Would the liability end at the offending Youtube user or would they extend to NG and the user who linked to the clip?

I wouldn't worry too much about things like movie posters; the real trouble will likely come from small places.

For example a law firm aggressively tried to shake us down this past year over a stock photo of hot wings someone posted in the forums. We were in the right (DMCA protection) but still had to engage lawyers, which generally costs at least a thousand bucks in the best case.

The Case Act actually did pass - very quietly - on Sunday, December 27th while everyone was enjoying the holidays.

It's hard to say yet how it will play out. The Case Act allows copyright holders to bring their cases to a copyright claims board that will pass down a judgment, rather than going through the traditional court system. There are lots of cases where that can be a useful tool for artists and photographers. For example when someone steals an artists art and sells it on one of those on-demand print shops, the Case Act gives the artist an option for seeking payment without having to pay for a costly legal battle.

If someone is making memes but not profiting off the work, they may never be in any danger - the claim board may just demand a takedown vs monetary compensation.

I should note something I've warned people about before - there's been a joke trend of tossing stock photography (watermarks and all) in videos. I think people who have been doing this, especially if they've had popular YouTube videos that run ads, are at risk because the individual photography owners could take them through the claims process without having to engage lawyers.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2020-12-31 18:16:27

Definitely great points in the OP!

I just wanted to add it's not impossible to legally license copyrighted or popular songs for your media, but it could be expensive. I've done a bit of research around this and you basically need a synchronization license and there are some services out there which help with that.

https://www.ascap.com/help/ascap-licensing

https://www.easysonglicensing.com/pages/services/custom-licensing/clear-music-rights.aspx

The latter seems a little sketchy though; you pay $129-179, they negotiate the price you'll pay for the song's sync license on your behalf, and then they tack on a fee that's 30% of what they negotiated. To me that seems like they have an incentive to drive the cost up against your interests, but I haven't used the service so I can't say...

I wish someone here had experience going through this, just so we had example numbers of how much the labels really want to charge, say, a sub-5,000-view web cartoon. 🤔

If I ever go through this and figure it out I'll definitely post some sort of guide... Some of my ideas just wouldn't work without a specific song.

Also apologies for the double post, but if you're not a fan of the direction that US copyright law is heading, the Electronic Frontier Foundation should be receiving all your support. 😊 I don't donate to a lot of nonprofits but the EFF is always at the top of my list (along with Wikipedia) for the important work they do fighting draconian copyright laws and legal outcomes such as the ones mentioned by the OP.

https://www.eff.org

https://supporters.eff.org/donate/join-eff-today

Here's two posts they made in July 2019 and last week (respectively) on the recently-passed CASE Act:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/07/life-altering-copyright-lawsuits-could-come-regular-internet-users-under-new-law

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/12/case-act-hidden-coronavirus-relief-bill-just-beginning-next-copyright-battle

Aside from that, organizing and voting against the congressmen and women introducing or voting for legislation you don't like is helpful too. I see a lot of accounts ITT made before 2010 so a good chunk of those here should be of voting age! 😁

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2021-01-02 11:14:39

At 12/30/20 11:36 AM, keepwalking wrote: In that case I should remove all my movies from my account...all of them have CR music

If only you hadn't brought them up. :P Probably still a crazy amount of content like this lurking around from the old days yet to be discovered, hopefully none that ignite any legal feuds but also hope they stick around; just either don't get undue attention or do swap out the audio in time...

Hope you don't have any music video-like work with those that require replacement, particular songs necessary to keep the vibe, been a shame seeing so many good unofficial music video-like animations get taken down overtime...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2021-01-02 11:15:00

At 12/30/20 06:35 PM, EternalJudge wrote: Suggestion: why not make it mandatory for submissions to credit the audio used and the licenses associated with them?

I think the problem with this is that there's no automated system here that sees if a submission has audio or no. There is a credits tab for any included audio already, but an addition with regard to license in particular might be nice. If you happen to actually have a synchronization license for some mainstream work it'd be handy if you could specify this somewhere; avoid mods taking the submission down when/if they recognize that audio.

At 12/31/20 06:16 PM, andrewrabon wrote: If I ever go through this and figure it out I'll definitely post some sort of guide... Some of my ideas just wouldn't work without a specific song.

Would be interesting to hear if you get any real experience with this too! Been reading up before. Bigger labels are bound to charge you more, but prices really seem to vary; there doesn't seem to be an no easy way to go about acquiring these for everything.

Maybe this might be useful though: https://www.easysonglicensing.com/

For smaller labels/independent artists I'd assume it's a simpler process too; not so expensive.

Nice links in regard to the EFF too.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 35 and Felony Copyright Law 2021-01-26 04:39:04

Congrats to soupe for winning the drawing tablet number 35. Copyright Laws have always been a hassle.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature