00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My parents don’t think digital art is also real art.

779 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My parents say that digital art is not real art since you have all the resources and it’s way more easier. I think otherwise. I think that digital art requires the same level of effort and creativity as traditional art. You just have more tools at your grasp. I want everyone’s opinion on this topic. I mean maybe I’m the wrong one here and digital art isn’t real art. Or maybe my parents are just close minded. Either way, please share your opinion.

Jesus Christ is awesome B) and so are you (as long as you love your neighbors as you love yourself <3)

This website is my favorite place on the Internet lol

BBS Signature

At 11/29/20 02:39 PM, SacKydz12 wrote: My parents say that digital art is not real art since you have all the resources and it’s way more easier. I think otherwise. I think that digital art requires the same level of effort and creativity as traditional art. You just have more tools at your grasp. I want everyone’s opinion on this topic. I mean maybe I’m the wrong one here and digital art isn’t real art. Or maybe my parents are just close minded. Either way, please share your opinion.

That’s like saying Jacking off is gay because your touching a dick.Don’t listen to them just do what you want to do.

At 11/29/20 04:24 PM, J3tjaguar wrote:
At 11/29/20 02:39 PM, SacKydz12 wrote: My parents say that digital art is not real art since you have all the resources and it’s way more easier. I think otherwise. I think that digital art requires the same level of effort and creativity as traditional art. You just have more tools at your grasp. I want everyone’s opinion on this topic. I mean maybe I’m the wrong one here and digital art isn’t real art. Or maybe my parents are just close minded. Either way, please share your opinion.
That’s like saying Jacking off is gay because your touching a dick.Don’t listen to them just do what you want to do.

Thanks for the advice! I really needed it =)

Jesus Christ is awesome B) and so are you (as long as you love your neighbors as you love yourself <3)

BBS Signature

Well it is way easier, there's no question about that.

With digital you have any kind of brush and color imaginable, you'll never run into a scenario where you have to know which paint to mix to get a certain color or have to improvise with a shitty brush because you misplaced your good ones for the hundredth fucking time.

On top of that, you have the ability to easily erase any mistakes you might make with a simple keyboard command, you don't have to think as hard about every brush stroke before you make them because there's no consequences if you fuck something up.

Layers fall into that category as well, if you don't like where something is in a digital painting then all you have to do is move the layer it's on around until it looks right, with traditional you either need to cover it up, wait for the paint to dry, and try again or roll with it and find a way to make it work which is what Bob Ross meant when he said "We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents".

This isn't me saying that digital art isn't "real" art, it is and it doesn't make sense to say it's not, but it's not as hard as traditional drawing or painting. There are certain disciplines you learn with pen and paper or paint and canvas that you don't get with digital, these disciplines tend to make you a better artist once you've gotten used to them, that's why I always tell people just starting out to put off getting that five-hundred dollar tablet and just pick up some ballpoints and a sketchbook.

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.

Yeaaaaaah...no. Ugh... no. That kind of close mindedness from you parents you simply cannot argue with because of how stupid their arguement really is. Take my advice and just nod your head. I'm not telling your to agree with anything, but it's the best way for them to get off your case because in their minds, "you're agreeing to something," when you're actually not verbally agreeing to anything. Keep that in mind.

Also, there are a lot of cool stuff you can mix between digital and traditional art. What I usually do with my art is that I draw a rough sketch and traditional linework using mechanical pencils and ink pens. After I'm satisfied with it, I photograph it and prep it on editor to upload onto Sketchbook by Autodesk. Then on my Sketchbook app, I would clean up my linework, color, shading, highlights, and finishing touches before uploading the finished result to my gallery.

Edit: actually, your art style looks great. It can definitely go well with a lot of the Cyanide and Happiness animations.

At 11/29/20 06:40 PM, CrisahitnaHyscirs wrote:
Yeaaaaaah...no. Ugh... no. That kind of close mindedness from you parents you simply cannot argue with because of how stupid their arguement really is. Take my advice and just nod your head. I'm not telling your to agree with anything, but it's the best way for them to get off your case because in their minds, "you're agreeing to something," when you're actually not verbally agreeing to anything. Keep that in mind.
Also, there are a lot of cool stuff you can mix between digital and traditional art. What I usually do with my art is that I draw a rough sketch and traditional linework using mechanical pencils and ink pens. After I'm satisfied with it, I photograph it and prep it on editor to upload onto Sketchbook by Autodesk. Then on my Sketchbook app, I would clean up my linework, color, shading, highlights, and finishing touches before uploading the finished result to my gallery.

Edit: actually, your art style looks great. It can definitely go well with a lot of the Cyanide and Happiness animations.

Thanks for the advice!

BBS Signature

The tools are no factor in what is art. The end-result and ideas behind it, is wat determine what is art.

At 11/29/20 06:40 PM, CrisahitnaHyscirs wrote:

Yeah, it's only real if it's a one-off that matches our expectations perfectly. /s

Like @CrisahitnaHyscirs said, just Smile and Nod/Wave.That non-verbal "agreement" should be enough.

"Hold me Gently, Kiss me Plenty!"

BBS Signature

There is no universally accepted definition of what art is.

One possible definition would be "the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects" (Merriam-Webster). I think that definition is too narrow, but it could be a starting point.

You could certainly do stuff using digital art that would fall within that definition.

It would seem that your parents think that it takes no or very little skill to create using digital art. You could show them some good digital art and challenge them to reproduce that art with a digital art program.

Or you could just ignore them. That could also work. :D

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Yes, digital is easier but !!

it's real art

your father only has a closed mind

show them otherwise !!

At 12/1/20 02:31 PM, CARANQUI wrote: Yes, digital is easier but !!
it's real art
your father only has a closed mind
show them otherwise !!

Don’t worry my parents are now okay with it =)

BBS Signature

My parents are now okay with digital art, although I would still like other people’s opinion on the topic of whether or not digital art is not fake art.

BBS Signature

iu_202793_8294788.jpg

not exactly digital but I edit the photos to make them look better

At 12/1/20 03:39 PM, SacKydz12 wrote: My parents are now okay with digital art, although I would still like other people’s opinion on the topic of whether or not digital art is not fake art.

Good to know.

Digital art is awesome and there's nothing fake about it. Especially for artists, who don't have to redraw as much, but still need a good sense of shapes, colors, proportions, etc to make good art.

"Hold me Gently, Kiss me Plenty!"

BBS Signature

digital art is fake, get a real job bruh

BBS Signature

Perhaps that your parents think the old-fashion way when it comes to art?

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Of course it is.

BBS Signature

At 11/29/20 02:39 PM, SacKydz12 wrote: My parents say that digital art is not real art since you have all the resources and it’s way more easier

you know, I've been constipated lately. If I had more more fiber, it would be easier to take a sh*t. But no, I have to strain, be patient, and use special breathing techniques to squeeze out my colon loafs. I put a lot of effort into it thus it's 'real' art.

What if your parent's foundout all their favorite CDs where made with minimal effort. They were performed, produced, and recorded by particularly gifted musicians where making complex sounding music is real easy for them. I can see why people appreciate the suffering and hard-work that goes into creation, but IMO work effort and the product itself are separable things. Either the product works or it doesn't, I'm the consumer here, not dispersing participation trophies.

and besides...the statement that making digital art is easier is rather unfounded. It's easier to do certain things. The digital realm offers a wide realm of possibilities that are unattainable in the physical world. Photoshop is a different skill-set than watercolors. Playing a guitar is a different skill-set than synthesizing and programming in all the nuances. Both take some degree of mastery to put out quality work. And they take a different kind of patience.

but at the end of the day, who cares if some official or popular definition classifies it as 'real' or not, that's just a detrimental white-noise subjective title, if you have fun making it, that's what matters

BBS Signature

I completely disagree with the user who said “just nod your head”, as your parents will never value what you do.

If your parents don’t consider digital art to be real art due to resource availability, etc. then it’s your responsibility to educate them and see it from your perspective.

Seeking feedback to this on a forum on a digital artwork site is like preaching to the choir.

BBS Signature

Bruh you're parents are [REDACTED] and is very mean

Juan

What if your parents aren't real.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

At 12/4/20 06:18 AM, Yomuchan wrote:
What if your parents aren't real.

Then I wouldn’t exist.

BBS Signature

At 12/4/20 05:34 AM, Nornop wrote: Bruh you're parents are [REDACTED] and is very mean

They’re just trying to tell me what’s right to do. And I can respect that. It’s kind of rare to see parents be so determined to make their child grow up to be a respectable person, and my parents are just that (in my eyes, anyways). It’s just that they still had their old viewpoints. And anyways my parents now respect digital art as much as traditional art after I had made this post. Anyways, have a nice day!

BBS Signature

Yeah my mom says to me (when she's mad) that she has no love for me and that I'm broken to her, and when she is calm she acted like she didn't hurt my feelings and nothing happened

Juan

At 12/4/20 07:41 AM, Nornop wrote: Yeah my mom says to me (when she's mad) that she has no love for me and that I'm broken to her, and when she is calm she acted like she didn't hurt my feelings and nothing happened

Parents are sometimes like that. They sometimes don’t really mean what they say. Although it’s still important that they apologize for what they say if there wasn’t any reason to be angry in the first place.

BBS Signature

At 12/4/20 11:26 AM, sTeVtheStEv wrote:
youre parents don’t like change
tell them “well I’m sorry I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on art supplies that ill have to replace and spend more money on.”
the fuckin old farts

BBS Signature

tell them “well I’m sorry I don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on art supplies that ill have to replace and spend more money on.”
the fuckin old farts

Whoops, the last one was by accident.

They now are okay with digital art. They just needed some time to accommodate to it. They now are encouraging me to try out new art styles, which is respectable. Anyways, have a nice day!

BBS Signature

At 12/4/20 11:33 AM, sTeVtheStEv wrote:
At 12/4/20 11:32 AM, SacKydz12 wrote:
the fuckin old farts
Nice reply

Whoops, that one was an accident.

Now my parents are okay with digital art. In fact, they’re encouraging me to try out other art styles, which is respectable. Anyways, have a nice day!

BBS Signature

Wait, did I just type out the same reply two times?!

Sorry, must’ve been a glitch or my terrible observing power.

BBS Signature

when it comes to creativity id say both are on par but when it comes to effort, digital art has it but i think its very lacking. traditional art is difficult and comes with that comes with effort that i think shows the most out of it when drawing something out of paper. digital art is art no matter what but i honestly dont think its a good choice for any sort of beginners of art because theres so much to digital art than meets the eye when compared to traditional and thats the kind of art im most comfortable with.

BBS Signature