00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheGizmo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What is the go-to art program for artists online?

402 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I see all this great, clean looking art on newgrounds and such. I want to be able to make stuff like it. I use Autodesk Sketch Book but it sucks. Any one have a sketch/paint program they use that works great for them? It would be nice if it is free but I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as it is not attached to a subscription.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-22 04:39:47

Krita and G.I.M.P. are very useful programs that are free. I originally used G.I.M.P. before switching to Photoshop. But now I use Clip Studio Paint EX for practically all of my art and small animations, and have been more than happy with how useful it is. It is a program that you do have to pay for, but the license is perpetual. So you only need to pay for it once. I hope you find this response useful. :3.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-22 22:04:51

At 11/22/20 04:39 AM, DARKRYAN wrote: Krita and G.I.M.P. are very useful programs that are free. I originally used G.I.M.P. before switching to Photoshop. But now I use Clip Studio Paint EX for practically all of my art and small animations, and have been more than happy with how useful it is. It is a program that you do have to pay for, but the license is perpetual. So you only need to pay for it once. I hope you find this response useful. :3.

Thank you very much

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-23 02:55:20

Paint tool SAI is a really good one a lot of artists use. Its 50 bucks last time I checked and its essentially the art part of photoshop as its own program. No photo manipulating bells and whistles. Just brushes, pencils, pens, etc. albeit HIGHLY customizable. Another more expensive option is Clipstudiopaint. It does go on sale every 6 months or so, however.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-24 00:53:06

FireAlpaca is a free program that I find quite nice to draw in. Not too much of a learning curve.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-24 02:39:57

At 11/22/20 04:39 AM, DARKRYAN wrote: Krita and G.I.M.P. are very useful programs that are free. I originally used G.I.M.P. before switching to Photoshop. But now I use Clip Studio Paint EX for practically all of my art and small animations, and have been more than happy with how useful it is. It is a program that you do have to pay for, but the license is perpetual. So you only need to pay for it once. I hope you find this response useful. :3.

Similar route but I went from SAI to G.I.M.P. to Photoshop for a bit, and then finally Clip Studio Paint EX. Worth every penny too.

I've heard aggie.io is alright (though that's more for collabs than anything else, I think), Paintstorm is okay too. Rebelle is fantastic, but its tailored for watercolor more than anything else. There was also Asesprite for pixel art.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-24 17:44:39

I would suggest Medibeng Paint since it has helpful paint tool that easier to use as well as basic function that you can find on Photoshop. It great app I woulds say and also free.

https://38cautionzone.com

Ko-fi (Commission/Donation)

BBS Signature

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-24 22:10:30

At 11/24/20 12:53 AM, PerKGrok wrote: FireAlpaca is a free program that I find quite nice to draw in. Not too much of a learning curve.

I second this post. I use firealpaca for all of my digital art, (My profile having 40 or so examples so far) It's simple enough that you can understand it's inner-workings as fast as MS-paint, but also opens up an infinite skill ceiling with the tools it provides. That, and if you enjoy animation, Firealpaca has a built in Frame-by-frame- animation system in place.

Just gonna post the links here. There's a Black Friday sale this week.

At 11/22/20 01:48 AM, GrungeVanHollow wrote: --- Autodesk Sketch Book ...

Autodesk Sketchbook

At 11/22/20 04:39 AM, DARKRYAN wrote: Krita ... G.I.M.P. ... Clip Studio Paint EX ...

Krita

GIMP

Clip Studio Paint Ex (25$ for Pro, 109$ for Ex)

At 11/23/20 02:55 AM, CrumpledWaterBottle wrote: Paint tool SAI i ...s Clipstudiopaint

Paint tool SAI

At 11/24/20 12:53 AM, PerKGrok wrote: FireAlpaca ...

FireAlpaca

At 11/24/20 02:39 AM, Colilite wrote: ... SAI ... G.I.M.P.. ... Photoshop ... Clip Studio Paint EX ...: aggie.io ...Paintstorm .... Rebelle ... Asesprite ...

Photoshop (Free Trial / 29.99$/month)

aggie.io

Rebelle 3 (62.99$)

Asesprite (Free Trial / 19.99$)

At 11/24/20 05:44 PM, AKA-38CAUTION wrote: ... Medibeng Paint ....

MediBang Paint

At 11/24/20 10:10 PM, Pancaketophat wrote::

... firealpaca ... MS-paint ...

MS Paint

As for me? I usually just use Krita for digital art and Inkscape for vector art (both support my tablet now) but I'm no artist.

"Hold me Gently, Kiss me Plenty!"

BBS Signature

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-25 09:25:03

At 11/22/20 01:48 AM, GrungeVanHollow wrote: I see all this great, clean looking art on newgrounds and such. I want to be able to make stuff like it. I use Autodesk Sketch Book but it sucks. Any one have a sketch/paint program they use that works great for them? It would be nice if it is free but I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as it is not attached to a subscription.

Clip studio paint ex or Krita or paint tool sai

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Spray an 8.5-inch loaf pan with baking spray.

BBS Signature

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-25 09:44:19

At 11/22/20 01:48 AM, GrungeVanHollow wrote: I see all this great, clean looking art on newgrounds and such. I want to be able to make stuff like it. I use Autodesk Sketch Book but it sucks. Any one have a sketch/paint program they use that works great for them? It would be nice if it is free but I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as it is not attached to a subscription.

I say... Krita is ONE OF THE BEST art programs right now... As it is very useful digital painting as you can make your own digital brushes. Which is a sort of mandatory thing. Though make sure you have a digital tablet as the UI is terrible for using with a mouse despit ehaving vector graphics support and also animation features. Krita is free, but you can purchase it on steam to support the developers with no subscription bullshit. Hell I made most of my art with Krita.

Join The Rat Cult and grasp firmly.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-25 14:33:08

At 11/25/20 09:44 AM, DevilRat wrote:
I say... Krita is ONE OF THE BEST art programs right now... As it is very useful digital painting as you can make your own digital brushes. Which is a sort of mandatory thing. Though make sure you have a digital tablet as the UI is terrible for using with a mouse despit ehaving vector graphics support and also animation features. Krita is free, but you can purchase it on steam to support the developers with no subscription bullshit. Hell I made most of my art with Krita.

I will defiantly look in to it.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-25 15:22:52

At 11/25/20 02:33 PM, GrungeVanHollow wrote:

It's free. iu_199651_6652573.jpg

Join The Rat Cult and grasp firmly.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-25 15:36:27

I use Procreate and Krita. Krita is very robust in its current version and has a powerful brush engine. I went back to it after trying photoshop and sketchbook pro for a few years. CSP might be better for certain applications likes comics but I can’t speak to that.

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-26 04:21:11

At 11/25/20 03:36 PM, AdventDanger wrote: I use Procreate and Krita. Krita is very robust in its current version and has a powerful brush engine. I went back to it after trying photoshop and sketchbook pro for a few years. CSP might be better for certain applications likes comics but I can’t speak to that.

Im a procreate guy myself

Response to What is the go-to art program for artists online? 2020-11-30 20:45:01

At 11/25/20 03:22 PM, DevilRat wrote:
At 11/25/20 02:33 PM, GrungeVanHollow wrote:
It's free.

I plan to support it too.