00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YoungInfamous just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is there preservation vault for non NG flash animation?

306 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I know that NG has taken steps to make sure the old flash animation lives past the end of this year (at least in another format), but I was wondering if there are any other major preservation efforts under way to archive non NG classic webtoons. Not only would it be a shame to lose that entire cultural niche, but I think it would be fun to browse like a museum.

I'm a composer. I'll make music for you.

Visit my site for my portfolio!

Even after the in browser flash player dies wouldn't you still be able to pull out the swf files to play on desktop? I've been using Firefox's View Page Info feature to do that for quite a while now, though several have problems playing outside of browsers. For instance Madness Interactive and its mods need internet access to load the sound bar for some reason, Most of Oscar's later works are coded to only work on Newgrounds (though I think the site code got changed so that they don't work here anymore) and Deletion-Quality, which seems to have gone under sometime between when I pulled off all his non Castle animations and now.

At 11/22/20 12:58 AM, Peruraptor wrote: Even after the in browser flash player dies wouldn't you still be able to pull out the swf files to play on desktop?

Yes, I’m more concerned about swf files no longer being hosted. A bunch of sites have already gone down or been abandoned. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that animations are being archived to preserve our multimedia history. It was such a wild time of indie content creation.

I'm a composer. I'll make music for you.

Visit my site for my portfolio!