00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games!

7,525 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 20:34:07


This update is so exciting! I just tested it out and it's very nice. Are there plans to roll this video player out to the rest of the site (the frame by frame scrubbing and 4k. I think it will be interesting to see how people choose to use playlists. I think it could work as an interesting collaboration tool as well.


I've only just gotten into games on Newgrounds. I've spent the last 3 days struggling on duck waddle because im abysmal at games and puzzles. The prize pool idea is very exciting as is the upcoming jam. Unfortunately the only game from Neogeo era I played was Metal Slug.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 09:30:55


The game dev. monthly rewards are really cool. Big props to you guys, I feel like these sort of thigns give the starting indie developers a really nice pat on the back/justification for wokring hard on their games.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 09:44:08


At 7/14/20 08:34 PM, Tacopug wrote: This update is so exciting! I just tested it out and it's very nice. Are there plans to roll this video player out to the rest of the site (the frame by frame scrubbing and 4k. I think it will be interesting to see how people choose to use playlists. I think it could work as an interesting collaboration tool as well.


We'll be updating the view pages to use the new video player but PsychoGoldfish is going to add in the end-of-video suggestions to the new player first. We also want to integrate it where it's larger and you can see it at the top when you scroll down, however we need to restructure a bunch of page elements before that is feasible.


At the moment the player is getting updated to include additional UI items (title, like button, review/vote button) and it's going to be added to more pages, starting with collections and series.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 13:54:55


Only thing I'd suggest for the autoplayer is a way to vote/favorite from in the autoplayer. It also seems a bit discrete, maybe a big ol' autoplay button at the top of a list would help?


Good.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 14:08:42


At 7/15/20 01:54 PM, squidly wrote: Only thing I'd suggest for the autoplayer is a way to vote/favorite from in the autoplayer. It also seems a bit discrete, maybe a big ol' autoplay button at the top of a list would help?


We're gonna have a play all link and the current plan is a link that opens the vote / review box, although directly putting the vote bar in the UI might be interesting.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 14:12:29


At 7/15/20 02:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/15/20 01:54 PM, squidly wrote: Only thing I'd suggest for the autoplayer is a way to vote/favorite from in the autoplayer. It also seems a bit discrete, maybe a big ol' autoplay button at the top of a list would help?
We're gonna have a play all link and the current plan is a link that opens the vote / review box, although directly putting the vote bar in the UI might be interesting.


I think if you wanna expand the amount of votes something gets, having it not require a second click to go to the page is worth it.


Good.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 17:18:29


The new playlist player is very, very good! I love having a video player with precise frame-by-frame controls and it is non-occlusive, compact. Really nice. Only thing I wished is if the size could be controlled independent from scrolling the page. But that is nitpicking.


Looking forward to the NeoGeo submissions. And the gaming prices sound fun!


BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-15 18:36:52


At 7/13/20 04:21 PM, CzySzy wrote: Neo-Geo jam? Talk about nostalgia. From what I've heard NG was originally a Neo Geo themed magazine. But I'm not sure if I remember correctly.


You're right it was


I'm working on a new toon

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-16 00:31:59


I like how the video player changes size when you scroll allowing you to change the size on the fly (I got a really a really big monitor so I always have to resize videos). But I'm wondering if you could tweak it so the video scrolls separately from the playlist, that way if you're watching a video near the bottom of the playlist the video can still be whatever size you want it to be. basically how playlist have their own scroll bar on Youtube.


Also I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to have people say where they where donating towards. Having to look through all those PMs sounds like a lot of unnecessary work on your part. You could have a button in the donations page that allows people to donate towards specific things, or for even less work you could just put poll up on the front page.


And lastly, donations have been becoming a more and more integral part of the site, so put up a link on the front page for donations. I mean it doesn't have to be huge or anything, but have it somewhere near the top of the screen and maybe about the same size as the upload button, or put it in the toolbar so it can be reached no matter what page you're on.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-16 05:06:37


At 7/14/20 04:29 PM, RaIix wrote: Definitely sounds interesting. I think it would also be cool to have a little game jam going alongside the animation jams sometimes (except of course for the regular events, e.g. Pixel Day). There's a lot of animation jams, and even if there were no prizes involved, it'd perhaps be interesting to officially encourage people to join in on the fun under the same hashtag.

For example, there were five muskjam artworks, no games, six audio works (some of which were used in the animations). Even if they weren't part of the judging / award process, it'd be fun to play a couple of Musk-themed games alongside the main attraction of the animations. If you don't think it'd draw people away from the animations themselves.

At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’re making a system where donors get sponsor badges for individual events and initiatives, so when this launches you’ll retroactively get the Monthly Game Prize sponsor badge - similar to how Supporters get an annual support badge.
Speaking of badges, it'd perhaps be useful to give the winners a special trophy. E.g. if a new user sees the winning submission of Musk Jam, they'll only know it was "Daily 2nd Place" and "Frontpaged", whereas the most impressive feat of winning an animation jam isn't visible, unless they visit old forum posts or browse the history.
I don't know, something like:

At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: This weekend Mike pushed an update that fixed a lot of broken preloaders. When we first launched Ruffle on NG, I made a list of almost 1,000 movies that didn't work. That list has been shrinking ever since and is now down to less than 250 items.
Yesterday, I talked with someone who apparently can't run Ruffle on his computer. Is there an option somewhere to prioritise Newgrounds Player if you encounter problems?


Rapid raises good points here. I don't think NG is the "home" of game jams - that defeintly goes to itch. However, NG has a unique community and I would happily work on some little games to fit in with the animation/artwork jams.


Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-16 08:15:29


At 7/16/20 12:31 AM, juersh wrote: Also I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to have people say where they where donating towards. Having to look through all those PMs sounds like a lot of unnecessary work on your part. You could have a button in the donations page that allows people to donate towards specific things, or for even less work you could just put poll up on the front page.


This feature is in the works, will definitely be handy!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-16 14:49:01


I suck at jams


It's me

BBS Signature

Are there any plans in place to make badges more visible on user pages? I would think that some people would want to show off their support for the site directly when you head to their page.


Having them as a module box on the user page would probably work well... that way users could move it to where they want on their page or hide if they want to support silently.


edit: also, how much longer are we going to have to deal with this pink text bitch


.

BBS Signature

At 7/16/20 05:54 PM, Zachary wrote: Are there any plans in place to make badges more visible on user pages? I would think that some people would want to show off their support for the site directly when you head to their page.

Having them as a module box on the user page would probably work well... that way users could move it to where they want on their page or hide if they want to support silently.


Customization like that is something that's always under consideration but has never made top priority. There's a bunch of stuff to think on with user pages still so it's something we should be keeping in mind, it would be cool for people to have the option to stick that front and center.


There's still lots of plans to try making the default userpage more of a feed, with other questions like do we add reblogging. One thing I like about user pages now is that I've always been able to go to a user page and IMMEDIATELY get a vibe for who that person is and what they make - whereas with a feed and reblogging, I might go to a random user page and see a bunch of content from other people. It would let a lot more people put cool shit on their pages though, even if they don't make cool shit.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

At 7/16/20 06:13 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/16/20 05:54 PM, Zachary wrote: Are there any plans in place to make badges more visible on user pages? I would think that some people would want to show off their support for the site directly when you head to their page.

Having them as a module box on the user page would probably work well... that way users could move it to where they want on their page or hide if they want to support silently.
Customization like that is something that's always under consideration but has never made top priority. There's a bunch of stuff to think on with user pages still so it's something we should be keeping in mind, it would be cool for people to have the option to stick that front and center.

There's still lots of plans to try making the default userpage more of a feed, with other questions like do we add reblogging. One thing I like about user pages now is that I've always been able to go to a user page and IMMEDIATELY get a vibe for who that person is and what they make - whereas with a feed and reblogging, I might go to a random user page and see a bunch of content from other people. It would let a lot more people put cool shit on their pages though, even if they don't make cool shit.


Might be cool to give users a public feed instead of merging the two... I know that you can view your own, but it might be worth it to make it so the profiles stay as profiles where people can promote themselves and then give each profile a feed that everyone can view/follow or something.


.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-16 23:21:36


Excellent player addition, I can see other sites stealing this smoothness in a year or two and people forgetting NG was ahead of the curve as usual.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-24 03:05:32


At 7/16/20 11:21 PM, ornery wrote: Excellent player addition, I can see other sites stealing this smoothness in a year or two and people forgetting NG was ahead of the curve as usual.


Other sites have always stolen from NewGrounds, and I am sure they wilt continue. Everybody wants to be like the original.


I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature