00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to create believeble characters

399 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello everyone,

Im interested in learning more about making a good ficional character, and by "good" I mean likeable, memorable and enjoyable to watch, I don't mean the alignment.

I've been playing a really long DnD campain for years so we created a ton of people, but I only watched some tutorials on YouTube. Do you guys have any tips or resorses on this topic? Maybe you create your characters other way?

I would be happy to hear your thoughts and maybe share some of us characters here for inspiration :)

Response to How to create believeble characters 2020-04-24 20:37:46

At 4/24/20 06:35 PM, Anvir wrote: Hello everyone,

Im interested in learning more about making a good ficional character, and by "good" I mean likeable, memorable and enjoyable to watch, I don't mean the alignment.
I've been playing a really long DnD campain for years so we created a ton of people, but I only watched some tutorials on YouTube. Do you guys have any tips or resorses on this topic? Maybe you create your characters other way?

I would be happy to hear your thoughts and maybe share some of us characters here for inspiration :)

I'll give you three tips:

First of all, there's no formula for making believable characters, a character can be likable and yet not very interesting to watch and even even less believable. Don't rely too much on script manuals or things like this, making characters is complex and no structure is universal.

Second, look at real people, research historical figures, read the news; In order worlds, get a good grip of reality and of social interactions. Remember that people never exist in a vacuum, they exist in a social, historical, cultural and economical context; And that shapes us a whole lot.

Third is simple; Read! Watch! Play! All kinds of things. I particularly recommend you read and study theatre if you want to make good characters. And try to watch things beside american films and netflix series; A diverse set of inspirations is always good!

Hope I helped, cheers!

Ceci n'est pas une signature

Response to How to create believeble characters 2020-04-24 22:29:31

At 4/24/20 06:35 PM, Anvir wrote: Hello everyone,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achewood#Influences

I like the quote at the beginning, "You can't help but be affected by Mark Twain books, Lay's Potato Chip ads, a fat lady who is yelling outside, David Letterman, etc." Keeping an ear open for details, often unexpected ones, are great for creating the types of memorable characters you'd want to read about. I think in terms of fiction, understanding the conventions of the genre you're working in can help you figure out what the usual readers of it expect can be very helpful and fun to play with, but besides that, logically added details can make for lush characters.

Response to How to create believeble characters 2020-05-05 05:22:54

i think relatability is the simplest advice one could give. Don't make your characters so familiar that the viewer feels like they're reading about just some random dude (unless that's the point, like a "man out of time" story) but it's important that your viewer sees the character and thinks "lol yup, makes sense". Then theres the fine line between relatable traits, and character quirks -- all quirks are traits, not all traits are quirks.

While a trait is anything that describes your character (i.e. they like hot chocolate and swimming at the beach, etc.) A quirk takes those descriptions and makes them less relatable, but ideally more interesting:

They like hot chocolate with orange juice WHILE swimming in an inflatable pool, at the beach. The traits are the same, but the viewer now wonders what the hell is wrong with our character which makes them want to stick around to find out.

The more difficult part is getting these traits across to the reader/viewer without directly saying it; show don't tell, even if you're just writing. Dont write out or have a character say "ah, theres nothing like an OJ hot chocolate while floating in my kiddie pool at the beach!"

Instead, describe the scene and let the reader/viewer come to these conclusions:

Fank Jimly (our character) lounged against the inflatable wall of the kiddie pool, sipping from a styrofoam cup before replacing it on the table next to the hot chocolate and orange juice so he could watch the waves lap at the shore unburdened.

If you're writing for a visual medium things are a little different. First off you have to take "show don't tell" much more litterally (obviously). I'm less familiar with visual media, but basically you translate each descriptive sentence into camera direction and shot composition.

I hope this was helpful!

Response to How to create believeble characters 2020-05-28 10:05:51

@Anvir

Creating a good character is a complex matter. I will point out some elements that can help you with the subject.

I must warn that the use of these elements that I will give next are directed to create characters in stories.

First of all, every character revolves around what you intend to tell with your story. It is what we call the element of the character's instrumentality, primary to his composition. The character's characteristics must be manufactured in accordance with the role he has to fulfill in that story.

Next, we must realize that well-built characters require a well-built world. The real world is the ideal starting point for the practice of character construction, once its elements are already organized for use in the construction of a story. Feel free to use or create alternative worlds, but be aware that if that world is not well built, your characters are unlikely to be.

Keep in mind that the process of making a character is about making an identity. In this context, the most important aspect of identity is personality. It is important to make it not look like it was made, so that the reader forgets of the fictional character and sees it as a real subject.

For the fabrication of the personality, we must return to the aspect of the character's instrumentality. Every character has a role to play in the story, so his personality will be built around that. The fundamental point is that the personality was not always there, it was gradually formed according to the character's trajectory. When talking about trajectory, take into account the ups and downs of this character's life. The fabrication of the character's purpose, habits and personality must revolve around this, always having a reason for the character to have developed them.

The origin of the character is very important, as it will define the predispositions for the formation of his trajectory. It is in connection with the origin that the character's background develops. Try to put effort into the constitution of this aspect in the construction of all the characters that have to play an important role in the story. Keep in mind that the reader does not need to know all the information that you are going to produce in this process, it will be used merely to help you develop the character, his world and his story. In fact, it is highly recommended that only information relevant to your story be shared with the reader.

The character's name is an important tool to captivate the reader, but still, to help him associate the character with certain characteristics. It is important that the name is treated as a complementary characteristic, and not central to that character, in order to avoid building the character around his name (unless it is intended to do so).

Archetypes are highly recommended for secondary characters. They can assist the author with predisposed models of characters, but care must be taken... Well-constructed archetypes can amuse the reader and make him sympathize with the character, while poorly constructed archetypes can make that character generic and uninteresting.

More specifically in relation to the hero and villain archetypes, stick to making characters with these archetypes appropriately. Nobody is merely good or evil, these are subjective concepts. Every character acts according to a certain conduct based on his motivations, consequent to his trajectory, so don't forget to assign reasons for a character's "benevolent or malevolent behavior".

By not using archetypes, two distinct results can be achieved: the construction of an authentic and attractive character or the construction of a character that is too unusual for the reader to identify with. In the attempt to build an unusual character, it is important that it is extremely well explained, so that the reader can understand his composition.

In general, every character has means of subsistence. This means of subsistence is what will define the character's qualification. It is the practice of a certain activity that enables the survival of the character. Logically, the definition of this element is so relevant that it will explain a good part of the character's personality.

When referring to qualification, direct your attention to two reflective questions: Does the character enjoy the activity he practices to ensure his subsistence? Is the character good at the activity he practices to ensure his subsistence? Working in this way may help you to define a more detailed context of the character in your story.

The physical aspects of the character are partially defined by their origin, for example, observe the physical characteristics that come from the ethnic origin of the character. In addition, there are also the characteristics that come from his trajectory, mainly from what concerns the constitution of the character's body, in this context, observing, for example, the physical constitution of his body in terms of strength.

The psychological aspects of the character, in general, have no immediate connection with his origin, being formed essentially by his trajectory. It is interesting to work with antagonistic and objective physiological aspects, for example: Rational / Emotional, Selfish / Altruistic…

Peculiarities are a good way to create sub-stories that say something about the character. A physical peculiarity frequent in stories is, for example, a scar, which always keeps a story. A psychological peculiarity, on the other hand, could be exemplified by a specific fear arising from a past situation.

With the above elements you will have great progress in character development.

If anyone is interested in discussing specific details of the subject, which do not concern the proposal for the publication, message me in Newgrounds or contact my personal email niwrad45@protonmail.com That way we can talk more about it.

Response to How to create believeble characters 2020-05-29 14:58:13

At 5/28/20 10:05 AM, niwrad45 wrote: @Anvir

Creating a good character is a complex matter. I will point out some elements that can help you with the subject.

I must warn that the use of these elements that I will give next are directed to create characters in stories.

First of all, every character revolves around what you intend to tell with your story. It is what we call the element of the character's instrumentality, primary to his composition. The character's characteristics must be manufactured in accordance with the role he has to fulfill in that story.

Next, we must realize that well-built characters require a well-built world. The real world is the ideal starting point for the practice of character construction, once its elements are already organized for use in the construction of a story. Feel free to use or create alternative worlds, but be aware that if that world is not well built, your characters are unlikely to be.

Keep in mind that the process of making a character is about making an identity. In this context, the most important aspect of identity is personality. It is important to make it not look like it was made, so that the reader forgets of the fictional character and sees it as a real subject.

For the fabrication of the personality, we must return to the aspect of the character's instrumentality. Every character has a role to play in the story, so his personality will be built around that. The fundamental point is that the personality was not always there, it was gradually formed according to the character's trajectory. When talking about trajectory, take into account the ups and downs of this character's life. The fabrication of the character's purpose, habits and personality must revolve around this, always having a reason for the character to have developed them.

The origin of the character is very important, as it will define the predispositions for the formation of his trajectory. It is in connection with the origin that the character's background develops. Try to put effort into the constitution of this aspect in the construction of all the characters that have to play an important role in the story. Keep in mind that the reader does not need to know all the information that you are going to produce in this process, it will be used merely to help you develop the character, his world and his story. In fact, it is highly recommended that only information relevant to your story be shared with the reader.

The character's name is an important tool to captivate the reader, but still, to help him associate the character with certain characteristics. It is important that the name is treated as a complementary characteristic, and not central to that character, in order to avoid building the character around his name (unless it is intended to do so).

Archetypes are highly recommended for secondary characters. They can assist the author with predisposed models of characters, but care must be taken... Well-constructed archetypes can amuse the reader and make him sympathize with the character, while poorly constructed archetypes can make that character generic and uninteresting.

More specifically in relation to the hero and villain archetypes, stick to making characters with these archetypes appropriately. Nobody is merely good or evil, these are subjective concepts. Every character acts according to a certain conduct based on his motivations, consequent to his trajectory, so don't forget to assign reasons for a character's "benevolent or malevolent behavior".

By not using archetypes, two distinct results can be achieved: the construction of an authentic and attractive character or the construction of a character that is too unusual for the reader to identify with. In the attempt to build an unusual character, it is important that it is extremely well explained, so that the reader can understand his composition.

In general, every character has means of subsistence. This means of subsistence is what will define the character's qualification. It is the practice of a certain activity that enables the survival of the character. Logically, the definition of this element is so relevant that it will explain a good part of the character's personality.

When referring to qualification, direct your attention to two reflective questions: Does the character enjoy the activity he practices to ensure his subsistence? Is the character good at the activity he practices to ensure his subsistence? Working in this way may help you to define a more detailed context of the character in your story.

The physical aspects of the character are partially defined by their origin, for example, observe the physical characteristics that come from the ethnic origin of the character. In addition, there are also the characteristics that come from his trajectory, mainly from what concerns the constitution of the character's body, in this context, observing, for example, the physical constitution of his body in terms of strength.

The psychological aspects of the character, in general, have no immediate connection with his origin, being formed essentially by his trajectory. It is interesting to work with antagonistic and objective physiological aspects, for example: Rational / Emotional, Selfish / Altruistic…

Peculiarities are a good way to create sub-stories that say something about the character. A physical peculiarity frequent in stories is, for example, a scar, which always keeps a story. A psychological peculiarity, on the other hand, could be exemplified by a specific fear arising from a past situation.

With the above elements you will have great progress in character development.

If anyone is interested in discussing specific details of the subject, which do not concern the proposal for the publication, message me in Newgrounds or contact my personal email niwrad45@protonmail.com That way we can talk more about it.

If you want to be believable you have to build a reputation for telling the truth... In an atmosphere of warraw there is not a lot of truth to tell.. so it's easy to get lost in pretend.. so you need a leader or truth teller like a bishop or Judas priest .. try not be to figure Jesus and God out of the equation cause they are the truth... If it'$ worthy of being believed it will be believable..

In Case of Emergency Before 911 Pray 611 and Afterword Sing a Revolutionary 9611.

Genesis 9 Hebrews 11.Matthew 6 Luke 11.Psalm 96 Revolution 11 {Witness The Music}