00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

hyperheartcom just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HaxeFlixel Jam Thread

2,809 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to HaxeFlixel Jam Thread 2020-04-29 19:21:56

At 4/29/20 11:57 AM, austineast wrote:
At 4/2/20 09:32 PM, primakrazy wrote:
At 4/2/20 08:04 PM, catproX wrote:
At 4/2/20 07:39 PM, primakrazy wrote: Is there a way to install Ogmo3 in Ubuntu?
I managed to go through a few Haxe tutorials but I seem to have hit a brick wall here.
Yes, on their download page (https://ogmoeditor.itch.io/editor) there is a link to a Linux binaries. I looked through it and didn't see a dpkg file for installation, so you may have to install it manually. If that doesn't work you could probably do the same thing with Tiled map editor (https://www.mapeditor.org/), which looks like it may support package install via apt-get. There are examples of loading Tiled maps on the haxe site.
I saw the files on the itch.io page. It's odd that they have it in a zip file. Figuring out how to manually install it is a pain.
I'll also check out this mapeditor tool as well. Always looking for more tools to play with.

Thanks for the response. :)
Hi! I'm actually the person who makes the builds for Ogmo 3. I don't normally use Linux, so I just zipped up what I thought were the correct files when I built for the target.. and It looks like its the wrong stuff!

I know this is a little bit late (as the jam is already over), but if you guys would point me towards the most convenient way to distribute the app for Linux, I'd gladly make any changes needed. Feel free to PM me!

Ah very cool, and thanks for offering to package the binary for *nix users. I would imagine providing it as a dpkg would be easiest for Linux users and you. Most systems provide an easy method to install debian packages. Even better would be to add it to the official package to a Debian distro. This would let down stream distros use it and likely net your a wider coverage but I'm sure theres overhead with being a maintainer.

Response to HaxeFlixel Jam Thread 2020-05-01 07:01:57

At 4/29/20 11:57 AM, austineast wrote:
At 4/2/20 09:32 PM, primakrazy wrote:
At 4/2/20 08:04 PM, catproX wrote:
At 4/2/20 07:39 PM, primakrazy wrote: Is there a way to install Ogmo3 in Ubuntu?
I managed to go through a few Haxe tutorials but I seem to have hit a brick wall here.
Yes, on their download page (https://ogmoeditor.itch.io/editor) there is a link to a Linux binaries. I looked through it and didn't see a dpkg file for installation, so you may have to install it manually. If that doesn't work you could probably do the same thing with Tiled map editor (https://www.mapeditor.org/), which looks like it may support package install via apt-get. There are examples of loading Tiled maps on the haxe site.
I saw the files on the itch.io page. It's odd that they have it in a zip file. Figuring out how to manually install it is a pain.
I'll also check out this mapeditor tool as well. Always looking for more tools to play with.

Thanks for the response. :)
Hi! I'm actually the person who makes the builds for Ogmo 3. I don't normally use Linux, so I just zipped up what I thought were the correct files when I built for the target.. and It looks like its the wrong stuff!

I know this is a little bit late (as the jam is already over), but if you guys would point me towards the most convenient way to distribute the app for Linux, I'd gladly make any changes needed. Feel free to PM me!

Oh cool.

Yeah, Linux isn't exactly one size fits all. I'm not sure about the details of how it's supposed to be distributed. I know Ubuntu typically installs things from various databases through it's 'apt-get' command. I know Tiled can be installed through it, I mostly ended up using that ^^;.

I did manage to get Ogmo3 working on a different (Win10) system though. So I was at least able to complete some tutorials with it. Worked great there. The only issue I had with it was that I couldn't get it to close normally, which was odd.

For the Jam itself, I basically got as far as getting some characters to move around a map before getting stuck. Visual Studio Code is apparently very finicky on finding classes. ^^;

Response to HaxeFlixel Jam Thread 2020-05-05 01:12:46

Do you happen to know a good way of storing save data that would be useful if I ever reach the point of trying to organize a meta-game collab of games (not necessarily all HaxeFlixel) that interact through save data?

It looks like FlxSave writes to LocalStorage, but the values that it stores there get encoded in a way that's unique to HaxeFlixel and I'm not quite sure if / how they could be reliably decoded / encoded by games on other platforms, and localStorage is more dangerous than I'd like it to be for games that are hosted on a site along with lots of other games when there's a localStorage.clear() command in JavaScript. I wrote this code to use IndexedDB instead, but handling IndexedDB saves is turning out to be trickier than I was expecting so I'd be open to other approaches, especially if this is already a solved problem.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to HaxeFlixel Jam Thread 2020-05-05 10:52:51

At 5/5/20 01:12 AM, 3p0ch wrote: Do you happen to know a good way of storing save data that would be useful if I ever reach the point of trying to organize a meta-game collab of games (not necessarily all HaxeFlixel) that interact through save data?

It looks like FlxSave writes to LocalStorage, but the values that it stores there get encoded in a way that's unique to HaxeFlixel and I'm not quite sure if / how they could be reliably decoded / encoded by games on other platforms, and localStorage is more dangerous than I'd like it to be for games that are hosted on a site along with lots of other games when there's a localStorage.clear() command in JavaScript. I wrote this code to use IndexedDB instead, but handling IndexedDB saves is turning out to be trickier than I was expecting so I'd be open to other approaches, especially if this is already a solved problem.

It's worth mentioning that Newgrounds is working on cloud saves but I don't know how long that will take to be ready. I feel like a remote api is your best bet since you mention "other platforms". I don't know if platforms means other web portals or perhaps not even web-based platforms but local save can't achieve cross-talk for either. only your newgrounds games can talk read and write to other newgrounds local saves AFAIK. IndexedDB sounds cool, I've been looking for something to handle my remote saves for sharing FlxReplays of top leaderboard players. So I'm gonna check it out and I can share my progress if I make any (thanks for sharing yours).

As for FlxSave, it's just an interface for OpenFl's SharedObject. the encoder isn't specific to Flixel, or openfl; it's HXSF, the Haxe Serialization Format. but you can set it openfl.net.ObjectEncoding.JSON. Just be sure that when you call FlxG.save.bind you set the both parameters, otherwise it will use the full path of the game's zip for the second, path, param. and every new version you upload has a different path, meaning your players will start reading/writing from a new save. i typically do: FlxG.save.bind("Flesh-To-Stone", "GeoKureliGames");

Personally I feel that domain-locked local storage is enough for me, I also plan to read old game's saves for a fun optional meta game