00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HaxeFlixel Game Jam!

33,567 Views | 75 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-27 08:06:56

At 3/27/20 08:05 AM, KoonKlownKarl wrote: im not taking part in this but are why prizes 2nd and 3rd 5th and 6th, 7th and 8th the same 2nd is the same as 3rd and 5th is the same as 6th and excetera

It's just how we decided to split up the prize pool.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-27 12:58:05

I'm down - if anyone needs 8bit music and SFX hit me up! Some sample tracks on my profile.

Anything is possible if you try hard enough.

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-27 15:38:01 (edited 2020-03-27 15:39:19)

I never made a video game before but I'll try.

Live Everyday Like It's Taco Tuesday!

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-27 16:41:48 (edited 2020-03-27 16:42:09)

I created a BBS thread dedicated to the jam, feel free to ask questions and share ideas, there.

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-28 10:03:19

This is awesome! I'm not sure if I'll have much time to make a game, but I'll see what I can do.

I've been making games with flixel for 10 years now, it makes me very happy to see my favorite framework getting some love!

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-28 10:07:27

At 3/28/20 10:03 AM, VascoF wrote: This is awesome! I'm not sure if I'll have much time to make a game, but I'll see what I can do.

I've been making games with flixel for 10 years now, it makes me very happy to see my favorite framework getting some love!

Be sure to stop in the HaxeFlixel Discord, it's been a fun week with all the energy in there!

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-28 15:37:23

At 3/25/20 02:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’re hosting a HaxeFlixel game jam!

HaxeFlixel is an open source 2D game engine written for use with OpenFL and the Haxe Toolkit, it is completely free for personal or commercial use. It enables multi-platform development for native targets on mobile and desktop as well as HTML5 on web platforms.

Flixel was originally created by @AdamAtomic of Canabalt fame, while HaxeFlixel was created to overcome the limitations of AS3 and Flash. Devs like @squidly, @LarsiusPrime, @GeoKureli, @01010111 and @ninjamuffin99 have fallen in love with HaxeFlixel and you might too!

You can go straight to the HaxeFlixel Getting Started page or this tutorial, which I’ve added notes on below. There’s also a helpful HaxeFlixel Discord channel.

Jam theme: Alone, Together

The theme is inspired by current events but intended to be used however you like, so get imaginative.

Upload your game on NG by Monday, April 27th and tag it with “HaxeFlixelJam” to be included.

Judges will include @squidly, @01010111, @JoeCreates, myself and, schedule permitting, @LarsiusPrime.

@squidly contributed $250 to the prize pool. Check out his game, Renaine! 

@LarsiusPrime contributed $250 to the prize pool. Check out his game, Defender’s Quest!

@GeoKureli created a Haxe library for Newgrounds.io, so you can add medals and high scores to your game.

NG is tossing in $200 and...

UPDATE: HaxeFlixel has tossed in $400, bringing the total prize pool to $1,100:

1st: $250
2nd: $200
3rd: $200
4th: $150
5th: $100
6th: $100
7th: $50
8th: $50

You’re welcome to team up with musicians and artists to make your game. Be aware you can’t use unlicensed commercial music in your game; the Audio Portal is a great resource for music and we maintain a list of royalty-free music resources. You also shouldn’t make a game with characters you don’t have rights to.

Some notes from my experience with the tutorial:

The tutorial uses FlashDevelop but the Getting Started page now recommends VS Code.

You will likely want to use the Ogmo 3 tile editor (used for Celeste) instead of Ogmo 2 like in the tutorial. When the time comes to import your tilemap, you will be using FlxOgmo3Loader instead of FlxOgmoLoader and adapt accordingly. The HaxeFlixel Discord is there if you need them!

@ninjamuffin99 is sharing tips and tricks this week, starting with Command Line Basics for newcomers and Working with Flash Art.

If you have any general jam questions, ask away in this thread. We look forward to playing your games!

If I could make games, I would enter this.

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-28 16:49:38

Actually considering joining this, because it's been like 8 years since I last joined an NG contest. Plus, I finally get an excuse to learn HaxeFlixel :)

Any limits on how long a game should be? I've never joined in on Game Jams before, but what are the criteria for placing in one of top 8 places?

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-28 17:06:58

At 3/28/20 04:49 PM, Prid-Outing wrote: Actually considering joining this, because it's been like 8 years since I last joined an NG contest. Plus, I finally get an excuse to learn HaxeFlixel :)

Any limits on how long a game should be? I've never joined in on Game Jams before, but what are the criteria for placing in one of top 8 places?

No limits! Make whatever you feel you're comfortable with making - the only limitation is that it has to be done in HaxeFlixel. It's fine to do OpenFL things to support it (like for example, video loading) but HaxeFlixel must be the primary thing it's made in.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-29 03:03:31

It's been a loooooong time since I've been on NG, but I stumbled into this jam and got stoked to join and be part of the community once again! I've dabbled lightly in Haxe/HaxeFlixel in the last couple of months, but haven't actually sat down and learned it to the point of making something (something real, at least).

I did my first game jam ever back in 2013 in Flixel, so I have a wave of nostalgia messing around with HaxeFlixel. Excited to be here and learn.

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-29 14:46:32 (edited 2020-03-29 14:46:48)

At 3/28/20 03:37 PM, ShadowTheEdgehog wrote: If I could make games, I would enter this.

Nobody starts making their first game already knowing how to make games. just mess around and ask questions when you're stuck

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-30 07:09:32

I agree. Right now, I'm currently in the process of working on a pinball game with a ghastly aesthetic to it. I'm mainly just throwing animations and such together for the moment, but it could be exponentially better. I might make a demo/prototype if things go well.

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-30 18:49:19 (edited 2020-03-30 18:50:01)

the 8th gets a free steam game, just message me :)

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-31 16:39:33

Does anyone know the performance of HaxeFlixel on iOS, Android, web and desktop? Does it run as good as a native app, or is speed the trade-off for being able to compile multiplatform?

I absolutely hate wrappers like Electron and other frameworks that ease the development process but butcher the performance on mid-end laptops/smartphones and hog all memory needlessly. If this indeed runs smoothly and doesn't compromise on too much performance, I'm thinking of using it to develop iOS/Android games, unless there's a better-performing tool out there for that :)

Would love to know if anyone has any insight :D

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-31 16:56:11

This jam theme is so good, the government is using it:

iu_105997_1.png

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-31 23:17:36

At 3/31/20 04:39 PM, Prid-Outing wrote: Does anyone know the performance of HaxeFlixel on iOS, Android, web and desktop? Does it run as good as a native app, or is speed the trade-off for being able to compile multiplatform?

I absolutely hate wrappers like Electron and other frameworks that ease the development process but butcher the performance on mid-end laptops/smartphones and hog all memory needlessly. If this indeed runs smoothly and doesn't compromise on too much performance, I'm thinking of using it to develop iOS/Android games, unless there's a better-performing tool out there for that :)

Would love to know if anyone has any insight :D

I can only speak for the desktop and Android targets but I assume iOS isn't too different from Android. HaxeFlixel for these platforms is compiled to native code using the platform's toolchain - essentially C++ under the hood. So it's native but you're still beholden to a garbage collector.

Here are some optimization tips, and there's more floating around on the web: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20180530/318895/How_porting_to_the_PSVita_improved_performance_everywhere_else.php

But to re-iterate it's nothing like Electron. It's native code on mobile. The caveats are garbage collection and multiple hoops of abstractions between your code and the platform but it's manageable.

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-03-31 23:51:58

Awesome!!

I'm just a humble 2d artist, but if anyone wants to work together on something hit me up in PMs!!

I've been around since the start of time (kinda)

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-02 17:44:25

At 3/29/20 03:03 AM, Monday-Hopscotch wrote: It's been a loooooong time since I've been on NG, but I stumbled into this jam and got stoked to join and be part of the community once again! I've dabbled lightly in Haxe/HaxeFlixel in the last couple of months, but haven't actually sat down and learned it to the point of making something (something real, at least).

I did my first game jam ever back in 2013 in Flixel, so I have a wave of nostalgia messing around with HaxeFlixel. Excited to be here and learn.

Welcome back man!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-04 18:42:56

Hey, I'm looking for a pixel artist to join my team!.There'll be a Zelda like mini game in our game and we need some sprites. If anyone is interested, send me a dm!

Ceci n'est pas une signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-04 19:17:00

hey do you guys still looking for pixel artist?

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-05 05:29:16

hey do you guys still looking for pixel artist, I could be of assistance?

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-06 09:26:19

At 3/29/20 02:46 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 3/28/20 03:37 PM, ShadowTheEdgehog wrote: If I could make games, I would enter this.
Nobody starts making their first game already knowing how to make games. just mess around and ask questions when you're stuck

Well, what program should I use?

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-06 11:07:34

At 4/6/20 09:26 AM, ShadowTheEdgehog wrote:
At 3/29/20 02:46 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
Well, what program should I use?

https://haxeflixel.com/documentation/getting-started/

I agree with this article's recommendation of visual studio code

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-07 22:51:43 (edited 2020-04-07 23:01:06)

If any of you programmers who are also new to HaxeFlixel didn't think the tutorial showed a great way of handling typical tile maps from Ogmo3, I found an approach that IMO will make life lots easier and be more flexible and posted it here.

Also I'll prolly need an ar-teest' to draw some pictures for my game, but first I want to get my act together and get it at least most of the way done before starting to ask other people to contribute 'cuz I never used HaxeFlixel or AS3 or Flash before.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-12 06:08:25

Ridiculous theme, really.

Shouldve been "Give eachother a hug" or "High five" or something.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-12 07:27:12 (edited 2020-04-12 07:27:46)

Probably will make something. This engine got me interested. Nothing too big though cause am kind of noob programmer.

Just chilling in the house hiding from corona atm

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Working on: HaxelFlixel Jam Entry

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-23 11:00:28

If you set up a page for the jam's collection before the deadline I'll go ahead and put a link to it in my game kinda like in the Phaser game jam.

To the devs: to make a game open a new browser window, add

import lime.system.System;

and use

System.openURL("https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/phaserjam2020");

but of course pointing to the HaxeFlixel jam page instead of the Phaser one. (At least that worked for me.)

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-23 11:14:13

At 4/23/20 11:00 AM, 3p0ch wrote: If you set up a page for the jam's collection before the deadline I'll go ahead and put a link to it in my game kinda like in the Phaser game jam.

To the devs: to make a game open a new browser window, add
and use
but of course pointing to the HaxeFlixel jam page instead of the Phaser one. (At least that worked for me.)

Good call, it's here now!

https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/haxeflixeljam

BBS Signature

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-24 11:48:08

How's everyone's games coming along? Only 3 days left :0

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to HaxeFlixel Game Jam! 2020-04-25 10:24:12

At 4/24/20 11:48 AM, squidly wrote: How's everyone's games coming along? Only 3 days left :0

It's going to be a close race to the finish for me.

Up to exactly what time can a game be submitted?