00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Oatmeal386 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best book you read in 2019?

661 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-30 06:47:15

I started to get into writing interactive fiction in 2019, which turned out to be good encouragement to read more. I've gotten through more books this year than the last 3!

I'm looking for more book ideas for 2020, so what was your best read of 2019?

For me it was Circe by Madeline Miller. I felt it fit in perfectly with classic epics, while also reading as a very timely story for 2019.

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-30 13:43:01

I read a book Called "Love Strong" While I was in the Hospital. It was about a teacher who decided she wanted to go back to school and get her PHD. She Became a Doctor. It was very up lifting and encouraging. Two thumbs up for Love Strong.

In Case of Emergency Before 911 Pray 611 and Afterword Sing a Revolutionary 9611.

Genesis 9 Hebrews 11.Matthew 6 Luke 11.Psalm 96 Revolution 11 {Witness The Music}

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-31 02:11:03

I'm personally torn between two books that I read this year. The first is Dune by Frank Herbert. The story is a bit trippy at parts, but it is a great and creative sci-fi novel that stands out even 53 years later, and if you liked it, there are a few sequels, though they slowly get worse. The other one I would recommend is The Potato Factory and Tommo and Hawk, the first two books in Bryce Courtney's Australian Trilogy. The two are quite personal stories about a small cast of characters, set in Australia during the mid nineteenth century, with strong themes of family and companionship from crisis. I've also been reading George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and though it is lengthy (and at the rate that it's going, GRRM's never gonna finish it) and kinda niche, I would recommend giving it a shake if you like the fantasy genre.

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-31 05:53:38

At 12/31/19 02:11 AM, Glass-Barnacle wrote: I'm personally torn between two books that I read this year. The first is Dune by Frank Herbert. The story is a bit trippy at parts, but it is a great and creative sci-fi novel that stands out even 53 years later, and if you liked it, there are a few sequels, though they slowly get worse. The other one I would recommend is The Potato Factory and Tommo and Hawk, the first two books in Bryce Courtney's Australian Trilogy. The two are quite personal stories about a small cast of characters, set in Australia during the mid nineteenth century, with strong themes of family and companionship from crisis. I've also been reading George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and though it is lengthy (and at the rate that it's going, GRRM's never gonna finish it) and kinda niche, I would recommend giving it a shake if you like the fantasy genre.

I loved Dune! I haven't gotten around to read any of the sequels though (I've heard the mixed reviews).

The Australian series sounds interesting - might check it out if I get a chance!

And GoT's sounds cool but I don't have the strength for that much commitment...

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-31 10:57:31

I also read "Moby Dick" for the first time... it's one of those classics you should read in like 5th grade...

In Case of Emergency Before 911 Pray 611 and Afterword Sing a Revolutionary 9611.

Genesis 9 Hebrews 11.Matthew 6 Luke 11.Psalm 96 Revolution 11 {Witness The Music}

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-31 12:25:33

At 12/31/19 10:57 AM, MichaelJason1 wrote: I also read "Moby Dick" for the first time... it's one of those classics you should read in like 5th grade...

What did you think of it?

We don't read that in school where I'm from but I've heard its good! Might try to read it in 2020

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-31 18:56:50

At 12/31/19 12:25 PM, RainyG wrote:
At 12/31/19 10:57 AM, MichaelJason1 wrote: I also read "Moby Dick" for the first time... it's one of those classics you should read in like 5th grade...

We don't read that in school where I'm from but I've heard its good! Might try to read it in 2020

It teaches you shouldn't Hunt endangers species to extintion

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2019-12-31 21:18:38

At 12/31/19 06:56 PM, MichaelJason1 wrote:

Well that's a message I can get behind! Will hopefully give it a go this year, I'm going to try to get through Ulsseys first though.

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-01-01 18:23:17

At 12/31/19 09:18 PM, RainyG wrote:
At 12/31/19 06:56 PM, MichaelJason1 wrote:

Well that's a message I can get behind! Will hopefully give it a go this year, I'm going to try to get through Ulsseys first though.

Ulsseys? Eh?? Like civil war Grant style?? They just burnt down Robert Evil L3e middle school over hear in Tampa...

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-01-01 19:44:21

I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin several months ago, with my favorite probably being A Storm of Swords.

Don't mind me I'm just here because I'm not a productive member of society

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-01-13 08:59:42

At 1/1/20 07:44 PM, ryan77999 wrote: I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin several months ago, with my favorite probably being A Storm of Swords.

just finished that myself, fucking spectacular book! I've heard the books afterwards aren't very good in comparison

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-01-16 23:05:48

At 1/13/20 08:59 AM, Glass-Barnacle wrote:
At 1/1/20 07:44 PM, ryan77999 wrote: I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin several months ago, with my favorite probably being A Storm of Swords.
just finished that myself, fucking spectacular book! I've heard the books afterwards aren't very good in comparison

I'm in the middle of A Feast for Crows and I'd say it's pretty good so far. Hopefully I'll be caught up before The Winds of Winter comes out.

Don't mind me I'm just here because I'm not a productive member of society

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-01-20 02:00:39

Oh man, in 2019 I read so many good books!

I think right now, I'd most recommend The Stranger by Albert Camus.

It's a bit short, but it is a fascinating, and highly personable piece of philosophical fiction about being an outsider.

It has the famous opening line "Maman died today. Or maybe yesterday, I'm not sure.", and while most of us will in fact be very upset when our mothers die, this story shows a chillingly relatable plight of one of the most interesting anti heroes in recent memory!

It was written in the 1940s, but is even more timely today, in my opinion! (although people will say that about anything they like, I suppose...)

I need a tanning bed, a 3D life to keep me from the cold.

BBS Signature

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-01-20 04:10:26

At 1/20/20 02:00 AM, Viewbob wrote: Oh man, in 2019 I read so many good books!
It's a bit short, but it is a fascinating, and highly personable piece of philosophical fiction about being an outsider.
It has the famous opening line "Maman died today. Or maybe yesterday, I'm not sure.", and while most of us will in fact be very upset when our mothers die, this story shows a chillingly relatable plight of one of the most interesting anti heroes in recent memory!
It was written in the 1940s, but is even more timely today, in my opinion! (although people will say that about anything they like, I suppose...)

The Outsider is defintely on my list - might try and cross it off this year - thanks for the recommendation!

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-02-26 09:46:30

At 1/20/20 04:10 AM, RainyG wrote:
The Outsider is defintely on my list - might try and cross it off this year - thanks for the recommendation!

Probably most of all I remember the book by Anna Karenina is the case when I could not master to read all the material. And I needed to write an essay on me, initially I thought about choosing scribendi review, but then I read the review about it in more detail and realized that you can choose steeper from other sites, and scribendi review was normal but not ideal.

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-02-28 09:40:31

At 2/26/20 09:46 AM, AnnaDavison wrote:
Probably most of all I remember the book by Anna Karenina is the case when I could not master to read all the material. And I needed to write an essay on me, initially I thought about choosing scribendi review, but then I read the review about it in more detail and realized that you can choose steeper from other sites, and scribendi review was normal but not ideal.

Response to Best book you read in 2019? 2020-02-28 09:41:03