00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Willyp213 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

No Thermostat Nov/Dec

426 Views | 21 Replies

No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 17:36:37

That's right. Your official newgrounds dad here challenging every other dad, and well, basically anyone else responsible for their bills to hold off on touching their thermostat or starting up the heat until last minute.

We must protect the thermostats and not let our families turn the heat on. I don't care if it's cold at night, that's what blankets are for! Can see your breath in the air? Guess you need to put on another layer. What do you mean ok boomer?

The rules are simple, turn on your heat and you lose.

I know I live in California and chances are I won't need to turn on the heat until mid December, but that's no excuse.

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 17:40:06

The fact that you'r willing to sabotage many people here who happen to be in need of thermal regulation during the cold times, especially since you'r happen to live close to the equator, is revolting!

If I'm were you, I'm would just offer people to use a hairdryer and spray some hot air under the blankets for 7 seconds. Gets the job done.

Oh yeah, don't dress me like I'm salad.

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 17:44:02

At 11/6/19 05:41 PM, JosephStarr wrote: You forgot about electric space heaters.
They probably cost more to run than the furnace.
heating potential achieved per dollar of resource (electricity, gas, wood, ect.)
Check for loopholes man, they're sneaky and can get into anything.

edit - forgot the oven and gas burners as-well.

Any heat source that costs money in any way is against the rules.

The wood stove is alright, as long as you used old fashion ax to cut everything.

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 17:53:16

At 11/6/19 05:50 PM, JosephStarr wrote:
At 11/6/19 05:44 PM, Fro wrote: Any heat source that costs money in any way is against the rules.

The wood stove is alright, as long as you used old fashion ax to cut everything.
Any heat source that costs money in any way is against the rules.
Any heat source that costs money in any way
heat source that costs money
costs money
...so if we steal the resource to be burned/transferred, it's okay?
brb, I have to go find some propane cans and car batteries.

Stolen resources can count, but be dad like in the rationing of how often you use said stolen resources because you need them to last the season.

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 18:12:21

What about electric blankets?

Man, I wish I had a fireplace and could spend time splitting wood.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 18:27:41

Maybe in the second half of November when things could be warm enough. But I seriously doubt many people in the Midwest would be able to withstand the upcoming cold from Canada without any form of heating.

It will be like 20F.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 18:28:09

At 11/6/19 05:44 PM, Fro wrote: Any heat source that costs money in any way is against the rules.

Might as well cut my power too, because everything electrical generates heat.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 18:34:31

At 11/6/19 06:27 PM, Sobolev wrote: Maybe in the second half of November when things could be warm enough. But I seriously doubt many people in the Midwest would be able to withstand the upcoming cold from Canada without any form of heating.

It will be like 20F.

My dad waited till last minute. I remember the cold nights. And we had a wood stove. I spent the entire year splitting wood by hand and cutting up fallen trees in the woods around our house.

The only reason he started the fires sooner in the more recent years is because they got the hot water hooked up through the wood stove and it saved so much money on warming their water that it was worth starting before.

And we weren't poor. I have no clue what he was doing it for, but it just must have been the boomer way.

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 18:51:56

At 11/6/19 06:27 PM, Sobolev wrote: Maybe in the second half of November when things could be warm enough. But I seriously doubt many people in the Midwest would be able to withstand the upcoming cold from Canada without any form of heating.

It will be like 20F.

Remember the "Occupy" movement of 2011? Well, I think it failed because ordinary people weren't willing to spend the fall and winter months inside a tent.

Had it started in late spring/early summer then it might have been a success.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 18:53:43

At 11/6/19 06:51 PM, Painbringer wrote:

It will be like 20F.
Remember the "Occupy" movement of 2011? Well, I think it failed because ordinary people weren't willing to spend the fall and winter months inside a tent.

Had it started in late spring/early summer then it might have been a success.

They weren't paid enough for that nonsense!

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 19:01:26

I tend to keep my heat down.

the cold isn't too big a deal as long as you have some good insulation. I also tend to keep pots of stews and such ready so you can warm up whenever you need to.

people tend to neglect, but your body itself produces lots of heat, add more clothes, aka your "first shelter" and stay dry and the cold won't be too bad.

you can also keep a steady pace movement/work wise, but be very careful not to sweat.

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 20:27:00

Finally, a real challenge

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 22:41:39

My heat is already turned on and I'm still cold. Though I do use eco mode when I'm not home.

I'll take as many volunteers who are willing to assist me with their body heat.

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 22:52:12

At 11/6/19 10:45 PM, Ricoculous wrote:
At 11/6/19 10:41 PM, Kiwi wrote: My heat is already turned on and I'm still cold. Though I do use eco mode when I'm not home.

I'll take as many volunteers who are willing to assist me with their body heat.
I'm descended from frost giants, so there's plenty of heat here ;)

Excellent! Because I am cold. 🥶

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-06 22:54:19

Even my computer? Cuz it puts out a decent amount of heat when I'm doing shit that's taxing on the CPU or video card.

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-07 00:13:54

I live in Canada and don't turn my heat on all winter, I have my window open and run a fan pretty much 24/7. If I get cold I close the window, I was born in the frigid wasteland and scoff at heating bills.

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-07 00:46:21 (edited 2019-11-07 00:48:44)

At 11/7/19 12:13 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: I live in Canada and don't turn my heat on all winter

Canada is a big place. Vancouver lies near the Pacific and the area is probably has similar climate as London. Averaging a few degrees above freezing. Not using heater may be achievable.

Interior parts like Calgary and Edmonton are much colder.

Latest TCs

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-07 13:01:38

At 11/6/19 05:36 PM, Fro wrote: The rules are simple, turn on your heat and you lose.

And like No Fap, I failed on day 1.

I'm not a dad, though.

Plus, I call it the ronan.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-07 23:22:34

At 11/7/19 12:46 AM, Sobolev wrote:
At 11/7/19 12:13 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: I live in Canada and don't turn my heat on all winter
Canada is a big place. Vancouver lies near the Pacific and the area is probably has similar climate as London. Averaging a few degrees above freezing. Not using heater may be achievable.

Interior parts like Calgary and Edmonton are much colder.

Great detective work, I'm on the pacific coast of Canada.

BBS Signature

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-07 23:30:08

I'm Norwegian lmao

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-08 00:33:55

I did search the average temperature figures online but it really does not take much to realise west coast has to be the warmest part.

I learnt over the years that the origin of airmass tells a lot about a place. Winter winds blow from west to east and this should be enough to shield it from arctic air in most cases.

Latest TCs

Response to No Thermostat Nov/Dec 2019-11-08 11:47:28

Well shit. I had to turn on the heat on the last couple days in October because it was inexplicably below freezing in Dallas.