00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

tips for new animators

592 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

tips for new animators 2019-09-24 17:15:27

So I am currently teaching myself animations, what kind of advice do you experience animators? I bought a book called the animator survival kit book by Richard Williams read the book and it is my favorite, would you recommend other books and online tutorials as well?

Response to tips for new animators 2019-09-24 20:04:13

At 9/24/19 05:15 PM, Carl-D wrote: So I am currently teaching myself animations, what kind of advice do you experience animators? I bought a book called the animator survival kit book by Richard Williams read the book and it is my favorite, would you recommend other books and online tutorials as well?

That book is awesome! Really study the basics and understand the fundamentals that are in it. When I was learning, I would literally just do the animations in the book until things clicked.

I also reccomend SakugaBooru. I used to download the clips there and study them in quicktime to see how they approach their frame by frame.

For creating backgrounds, this old disney video really helped me connect the dots on starting with simple color mass and adding detail to that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcbBRkPBgB0

Happy animating!

POST YOUR OWN SHOW ON FIYAH.TV

Response to tips for new animators 2019-09-25 11:30:32

At 9/24/19 08:04 PM, Xango36 wrote:
At 9/24/19 05:15 PM, Carl-D wrote: So I am currently teaching myself animations, what kind of advice do you experience animators? I bought a book called the animator survival kit book by Richard Williams read the book and it is my favorite, would you recommend other books and online tutorials as well?
That book is awesome! Really study the basics and understand the fundamentals that are in it. When I was learning, I would literally just do the animations in the book until things clicked.

I also reccomend SakugaBooru. I used to download the clips there and study them in quicktime to see how they approach their frame by frame.

For creating backgrounds, this old disney video really helped me connect the dots on starting with simple color mass and adding detail to that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcbBRkPBgB0

Happy animating!

Okay will do thanks for sharing that link! mostly I have been animating from the book as practice but I want to finally put my efforts into making a video.

Response to tips for new animators 2019-09-25 11:31:24

At 9/24/19 10:54 PM, peachblush327 wrote: Go to AMB Animation Academy. That site is very helpful when it comes to teaching traditional animation techniques.
If you're using Flash to make cutout animation. I cannot help you in that area. Of course learning how to draw is essential to being a great 2d animator.

Okay i will do that. does it cost to take a class on that site?

Response to tips for new animators 2019-09-29 09:44:12

Hello Carl.

I run an online animation course. You can check it out here: https://yakirbh.wixsite.com/yakirart

Feel free to contact me on discord: Bagam#5550

Burning is a terrible way to go...

Response to tips for new animators 2019-09-29 10:00:34

At 9/29/19 09:44 AM, BagamCadet wrote:
Hello Carl.

I run an online animation course. You can check it out here: https://yakirbh.wixsite.com/yakirart

Feel free to contact me on discord: Bagam#55

How much is the course?

Response to tips for new animators 2019-09-30 08:14:19

At 9/29/19 10:00 AM, Carl-D wrote:
At 9/29/19 09:44 AM, BagamCadet wrote:
Hello Carl.

Feel free to contact me on discord: Bagam#55
How much is the course?

Sent you a private message

Burning is a terrible way to go...

Response to tips for new animators 2019-10-07 13:03:41

At 10/6/19 05:03 PM, thepixelizer wrote: You can learn how to do almost everything on YouTube.
I suggest looking up color theory, point perspectives one, two, and three.
And to save you a big headache learn how to do pose to pose animation. Improvised frame by frame is usually pretty ugly if you don't know what you're doing.

A bit of 3d won't hurt because makes the tough stuff like moving along the z axis easier, it's also a huge time saver if you're going to make something with tons of background angles like a fight scene, because you don't have to shade and redraw every angle over and over again you simply just move the camera and render then the computer does the work for you.

And most important of all anatomy and roughdrafts. I learned anatomy just by drawing random photos of people on a search engine. Even the most unrealistic characters are usually based off of real people. You don't want to draw a baby with a small head and a tall muscular body, or some one with arms that are too short.

Roughdrafts are important to preview mistakes you made before you start on the final draft, just take you character and simplify him or her into basic shapes or even as simple as stick figures, example a shoulder could be a sphere the arms could be cylinders etc. Then use that for the animatic.

Well I hope that helped.

thank you, I have been watching tutorials and practicing drawing poses as well too.

Response to tips for new animators 2019-10-07 13:03:46

At 10/6/19 05:03 PM, thepixelizer wrote: You can learn how to do almost everything on YouTube.
And to save you a big headache learn how to do pose to pose animation. Improvised frame by frame is usually pretty ugly if you don't know what you're doing.

A bit of 3d won't hurt because makes the tough stuff like moving along the z axis easier, it's also a huge time saver if you're going to make something with tons of background angles like a fight scene, because you don't have to shade and redraw every angle over and over again you simply just move the camera and render then the computer does the work for you.

And most important of all anatomy and roughdrafts. I learned anatomy just by drawing random photos of people on a search engine. Even the most unrealistic characters are usually based off of real people. You don't want to draw a baby with a small head and a tall muscular body, or some one with arms that are too short.

Roughdrafts are important to preview mistakes you made before you start on the final draft, just take you character and simplify him or her into basic shapes or even as simple as stick figures, example a shoulder could be a sphere the arms could be cylinders etc. Then use that for the animatic.

Well I hope that helped.

thank you, I have been watching tutorials and practicing drawing poses as well too.

Response to tips for new animators 2019-10-07 13:03:54

Well I hope that helped.

Response to tips for new animators 2019-10-07 13:09:16

Well I hope that helped.

Response to tips for new animators 2019-10-10 13:14:48

You may visit this site if you like:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlanBeckerTutorials

Response to tips for new animators 2019-10-12 17:35:06

At 10/10/19 01:14 PM, Niotella-Official wrote:
You may visit this site if you like:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AlanBeckerTutorials

Okay yea I have seen his channel too. thank you.