00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Abandoned buildings

835 Views | 33 Replies

Anyone else obsessed with abandoned places and a weirdo like me?

I've always been obsessed with ghost towns, abandoned buildings, old buildings---- all my life. When I was a kid, I begged my parents to take me down the Natchez Trace so I could stop at all the old abandoned places.

As an adult, now I just go to those places myself. Like I did a Route 66 vacation and drove down most of it, stopping at abandoned places.

Today I ran a 5k and it went through an old abandoned mental hospital. I was fascinated and tried to take pics while jogging which frustrated the folks with me but man I wanted to go into those buildings.

@jackho it was very Fallout feeling at some points

I can't go back because it's all private state property, they just allowed the 5k path to go through because most buildings are abandoned so very low traffic.

iu_28056_1414829.jpg

iu_28057_1414829.jpg

Share your abandoned building pics or stories.

BE MY WEIRD FRIEND.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 13:08:32

The house next to mine is actually abandoned, after its 70-year-old occupant was sued out by her ex-husband despite him not needing it in any way. That guy has also managed to piss off all potential buyers. Whatever, it's not our property that's decaying there.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 13:11:19

At 5/18/19 01:08 PM, DamnedByFate wrote: The house next to mine is actually abandoned, after its 70-year-old occupant was sued out by her ex-husband despite him not needing it in any way. That guy has also managed to piss off all potential buyers. Whatever, it's not our property that's decaying there.

How long has it been abandoned?

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 13:13:25

At 5/18/19 01:11 PM, RoboSeven wrote:
At 5/18/19 01:08 PM, DamnedByFate wrote: The house next to mine is actually abandoned, after its 70-year-old occupant was sued out by her ex-husband despite him not needing it in any way. That guy has also managed to piss off all potential buyers. Whatever, it's not our property that's decaying there.

2 years by now. What's the threshold for being haunted again?

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 13:45:13

Always seemed wasteful to me, house's constantly being built whether or not there's buyers while buildings degrade over decades.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 14:01:27

At 5/18/19 01:13 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 5/18/19 01:11 PM, RoboSeven wrote:
2 years by now. What's the threshold for being haunted again?

Ima come investigate it. Omw

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 14:01:47 (edited 2019-05-18 14:02:00)

At 5/18/19 01:23 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 5/18/19 01:08 PM, DamnedByFate wrote: The house next to mine is actually abandoned
The house I grew up in is currently abandoned. We were unable to pay the mortgage and they haven't done anything with the property since. People living around that neighborhood claim they've seen a little girl living in one of the rooms.
That house has always been haunted and everyone I know who ever stayed a night all claim to have physically seen something or in their dreams.

Im.coming to investigate this one too

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 14:31:26

I watch quite a bit of urban exploration, I do some myself whenever I can.

The Proper People and Uncharted Travel are two channels I watch that are really good.

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 16:23:49 (edited 2019-05-18 16:25:26)

I remember when I was at my aunts place . It was an apartment in a large estate.

in that estate , there was two huts on each side.

One was for the cleaner dude who was pretty chill and another was for a woman and her child.

The woman’s hut demolished during a storm. And the cleaner dude’s house was demolished because of the landlord who’s a rude fucking jerk.

Its been two or three years since the demolishing of the huts. There’s still remains of them on both sides .

She/They, 19., I draw sometimes.

Support me on ko-fi, it helps!

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 19:05:40

At 5/18/19 04:03 PM, Canas wrote:
At 5/18/19 12:47 PM, RoboSeven wrote: Anyone else obsessed with abandoned places and a weirdo like me?
Yep! I've been shooting film for six years or so and have always been fascinated with abandoned places. There are tons of ghosts towns in rural Saskatchewan and Alberta, and I wish I had more time to go out exploring and shooting. I also used to live down the block from an abandoned hospital wing (which as a point of interest was the same wing that my grandfather had died in back in '84) but unfortunately it was impossible to break into without getting caught due to security cams/chain padlocks/and 24-hour security guard.

Here's a couple photos I took of a ghost town just outside of Saskatoon.

See, I particularly have a thing for abandoned hospitals, so this morning, running by all those abandoned buildings, I could see many still had beds etc inside. I reeeeaaaallllyyyy want to go back but also not go to jail.

I'm gonna send some messages, make some calls, see if I can at least get permission to take pics through windows.

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-18 19:39:52

One awesome thing about Alberta is all the old homesteads that are still around. When I was in Quebec, we were in a town where the chief employment way back was in an iron mine. When it shut down, almost everyone left. It was interesting to walk around and imagine what a beautiful place it must have been.

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-19 03:49:30

I talked to some folks and I should be able to drive back there and take pics of the buildings from outside. I'm excited!

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-20 07:32:51

My old elementary school was being torn down, and I had bitter sweet memories of it. Kindergartin to 3rd grade, and I was disruptive and preferred to doodle. This was the place where I was drawing depictions of Doom, the PC game during free time and it got me into a lot of trouble with our Principle, who was super religious. The drawings contained blood and demons, so to her it was a bad look, but I just really liked Doom and I liked watching my older brother play it.

She had me transfer schools and see a psychiatrist, but I was fine- just creative. The classes I were in were a setback, so I looked at her and that school with contempt. My brother went to the same school, told me about it being torn down, and had a blast taking a trip down memory lane and looting whatever he could find. Like a brick, an old stage light, a lan line telephone for some reason, I thought it was kinda dumb.

But curiosity bested me. It wasn't much of a detour on my way back to my childhood home. One weekend night, 2 in the morning, after playing D&D with some friends, I swung by.

The area was chain-link fenced off. Some heavy machinery remained parked in the lot surrounding the building, and parts of the roof were torn up, a cross hatching of rebar and uprooted ceiling material jutted up, carving a perimeter at the top, but walls and windows remained intact.

I pulled in and parked near the back, where faculty would normally park. The temporary chain link fence could've benefitted from being secured by two wires, but two sections nearby were only secured by the top, so I squeezed through the bottom in a half crawl, and walked towards some nearby doors.

It was windy, but quiet. Which made for my approach all the more startling when the wind glanced off one of the wrecked air conditioning units up top, caught a loose panel on a hinge and clanged it against the rest of itself. I froze. My brother told of grafitti and garbage that would indicate looters, squatters, and miscreant teens that could be hanging out there in weird hours. Thats not frightening to me, but I was aware of the possibility. But as we approached the witching hour, he made me aware of a presence he felt.

I haven't experienced a haunting before, but he claims to have. He said the building was very old, but it felt fine except for the cafeteria. The kitchen area specifically seemed to have an overbearing presence that didn't want him there. I was aware he did this excursion during daylight. I wondered if that presence roamed at night.

I stepped over loose bricks knocked loose during the demolition and found easy access to a rear door that lead immediately to a hallway. Armed only with the flashlight of this phone.

Doors were ripped out and thrown into the hallway or propped up against the walls next to the open frame. The silence was a suffocating contrast to the winds outside making chimes of the fences, busted metal, and trees.

My light was insufficient and my senses heightened. I tried looking upon the walls and the floor to spark memories long-lost, but were only met with silence. This bleak sight with cutesy posters still hung, never to inspire or encourage a child again. Old-world furnaces exposed with charred brick that in my developing years, I had no recollection ever seeing. Nothing nefarious...probably just how this building stayed warm in the 50s.

As I slowly walked down the straight hallway, the occasional passing traffic would cast light cascading down from the windows from one room to the next. I realized I should probably keep my phone light more downward aimed, should a cop be alarmed to my trespassing. But the paranoia of police turned behind me. Not cued by a noise, but a pressure. Like I was being watched, or someone was trying to get the jump on me.

I froze again. First aiming my light eye level behind me in the hopes to blind them. Then swiftly turning, to nothing. This would be the part where I breathe a sigh of relief, but I wasn't calmed by this. The hidden pressure, the feeling of dread persisted everywhere I wasn't looking. And it was rising in the deafening silence and swallowing blackness.

I grabbed a whicker end table and a brick. Threw it in my car and drove home. Took those two things to work that Monday. Tried to get a squad of coworkers to check it out so I wouldn't be alone. None of them were interested. That place was completely flattened a week or two later. RIP old elementary school.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-20 08:39:23

At 5/20/19 07:32 AM, Phobotech wrote: My old elementary school was being torn down, and I had bitter sweet memories of it. Kindergartin to 3rd grade, and I was disruptive and preferred to doodle. This was the place where I was drawing depictions of Doom, the PC game during free time and it got me into a lot of trouble with our Principle, who was super religious. The drawings contained blood and demons, so to her it was a bad look, but I just really liked Doom and I liked watching my older brother play it.

She had me transfer schools and see a psychiatrist, but I was fine- just creative. The classes I were in were a setback, so I looked at her and that school with contempt. My brother went to the same school, told me about it being torn down, and had a blast taking a trip down memory lane and looting whatever he could find. Like a brick, an old stage light, a lan line telephone for some reason, I thought it was kinda dumb.

But curiosity bested me. It wasn't much of a detour on my way back to my childhood home. One weekend night, 2 in the morning, after playing D&D with some friends, I swung by.

The area was chain-link fenced off. Some heavy machinery remained parked in the lot surrounding the building, and parts of the roof were torn up, a cross hatching of rebar and uprooted ceiling material jutted up, carving a perimeter at the top, but walls and windows remained intact.

I pulled in and parked near the back, where faculty would normally park. The temporary chain link fence could've benefitted from being secured by two wires, but two sections nearby were only secured by the top, so I squeezed through the bottom in a half crawl, and walked towards some nearby doors.

It was windy, but quiet. Which made for my approach all the more startling when the wind glanced off one of the wrecked air conditioning units up top, caught a loose panel on a hinge and clanged it against the rest of itself. I froze. My brother told of grafitti and garbage that would indicate looters, squatters, and miscreant teens that could be hanging out there in weird hours. Thats not frightening to me, but I was aware of the possibility. But as we approached the witching hour, he made me aware of a presence he felt.

I haven't experienced a haunting before, but he claims to have. He said the building was very old, but it felt fine except for the cafeteria. The kitchen area specifically seemed to have an overbearing presence that didn't want him there. I was aware he did this excursion during daylight. I wondered if that presence roamed at night.

I stepped over loose bricks knocked loose during the demolition and found easy access to a rear door that lead immediately to a hallway. Armed only with the flashlight of this phone.

Doors were ripped out and thrown into the hallway or propped up against the walls next to the open frame. The silence was a suffocating contrast to the winds outside making chimes of the fences, busted metal, and trees.

My light was insufficient and my senses heightened. I tried looking upon the walls and the floor to spark memories long-lost, but were only met with silence. This bleak sight with cutesy posters still hung, never to inspire or encourage a child again. Old-world furnaces exposed with charred brick that in my developing years, I had no recollection ever seeing. Nothing nefarious...probably just how this building stayed warm in the 50s.

As I slowly walked down the straight hallway, the occasional passing traffic would cast light cascading down from the windows from one room to the next. I realized I should probably keep my phone light more downward aimed, should a cop be alarmed to my trespassing. But the paranoia of police turned behind me. Not cued by a noise, but a pressure. Like I was being watched, or someone was trying to get the jump on me.

I froze again. First aiming my light eye level behind me in the hopes to blind them. Then swiftly turning, to nothing. This would be the part where I breathe a sigh of relief, but I wasn't calmed by this. The hidden pressure, the feeling of dread persisted everywhere I wasn't looking. And it was rising in the deafening silence and swallowing blackness.

I grabbed a whicker end table and a brick. Threw it in my car and drove home. Took those two things to work that Monday. Tried to get a squad of coworkers to check it out so I wouldn't be alone. None of them were interested. That place was completely flattened a week or two later. RIP old elementary school.

See I'd love to go inside all these old buildings!

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-20 12:24:31

I wish I could explore abandoned stuff. But to my knowledge, I can't find jack shit anything on long island.

He went all night, arguing to strangers unknown,

"You're wrong, I'm right, It's all you know!"

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-20 18:18:33

Very much so. A friend and I recently went to this abandoned hospital that closed down in the 70s when another hospital was opened across the street. It was next to an interstate highway so we had to go around a late Sunday afternoon to avoid suspicion and you can't access it from the first floor as they closed off all the entrances.

Luckily a previous group took a traffic barrier that went to the drop off area on the second floor so we entered through there.

We really regretted not bringing masks because there was asbestos everywhere and a crazy amount of graffiti on the walls. It was eerily quiet despite all the traffic outside any there wasn't any noise besides the occasional creak from the ceilings. The ceilings themselves weren't structurally sound at all, there were huge deposits of mangled metal from where they had originally been and the whole place was falling apart. We eventually found the stair case which was next to this elevator shaft you could see all the way down through and had since become a cesspool of garbage probably from other groups. There was 11 stories and we quickly went through all of them because we were paranoid about someone else being there. The top view was really cool and it had since been overtaken by nature.

On the way back down though we were hearing things other than creaks, we couldn't really make them out to be voices so we listed it off as just wind or something. When were on the 4th floor coming back we then heard a very audible muffled voice and my friend booked it. I was frozen out of fear and before either of us realized it we were separated. I turned off my flashlight and tried to use whatever natural light was available to make my way towards the first floor. When I had reached it it turns out my friend was there talking to another group who were going to do the same thing as us and we talked for a little bit. After telling them what had happened, we all decided to leave together.The thing is that I unmistakably heard that voice from the 4th floor. Maybe there voice echoed up there some how but that's the story that I like to believe. Overall it was really fun besides that last bit and the only thing I'm worried about now it the amount of asbestos we took in while we were there. I hope that it doesn't come back to haunt me later on.

real smooth, like butter, I talk, and I stutter, uh, yea

Help

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-20 18:27:57

At 5/20/19 06:18 PM, Homdell wrote: Very much so. A friend and I recently went to this abandoned hospital that closed down in the 70s when another hospital was opened across the street. It was next to an interstate highway so we had to go around a late Sunday afternoon to avoid suspicion and you can't access it from the first floor as they closed off all the entrances.
Luckily a previous group took a traffic barrier that went to the drop off area on the second floor so we entered through there.

We really regretted not bringing masks because there was asbestos everywhere and a crazy amount of graffiti on the walls. It was eerily quiet despite all the traffic outside any there wasn't any noise besides the occasional creak from the ceilings. The ceilings themselves weren't structurally sound at all, there were huge deposits of mangled metal from where they had originally been and the whole place was falling apart. We eventually found the stair case which was next to this elevator shaft you could see all the way down through and had since become a cesspool of garbage probably from other groups. There was 11 stories and we quickly went through all of them because we were paranoid about someone else being there. The top view was really cool and it had since been overtaken by nature.

On the way back down though we were hearing things other than creaks, we couldn't really make them out to be voices so we listed it off as just wind or something. When were on the 4th floor coming back we then heard a very audible muffled voice and my friend booked it. I was frozen out of fear and before either of us realized it we were separated. I turned off my flashlight and tried to use whatever natural light was available to make my way towards the first floor. When I had reached it it turns out my friend was there talking to another group who were going to do the same thing as us and we talked for a little bit. After telling them what had happened, we all decided to leave together.The thing is that I unmistakably heard that voice from the 4th floor. Maybe there voice echoed up there some how but that's the story that I like to believe. Overall it was really fun besides that last bit and the only thing I'm worried about now it the amount of asbestos we took in while we were there. I hope that it doesn't come back to haunt me later on.

I'm being told asbestos is a huge problem in the buildings I wish to investigate as well

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-20 18:33:19 (edited 2019-05-20 18:34:53)

I'm being told asbestos is a huge problem in the buildings I wish to investigate as well

Yeah it's usually buildings made prior to the 70s the have asbestos because after that was when they started making it mandatory to construct buildings without them. Paint masks are pretty cheap to get but if you want a peace of mind (though not necessarily safer) without investing in the real deal you can make a DIY mask using tea bags and charcoal as a filter.

Do this at your own risk though, and always bring someone with you.

real smooth, like butter, I talk, and I stutter, uh, yea

Help

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 14:16:30

At 5/18/19 01:47 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Whole fucking cities in China:

Looks like we missed that golden era there though. :) So cool... but scary how fast they build that stuff. World's a finite place and all.

And yeah, I love abandoned places. Doesn't need to be a whole house, but just finding an old car in the middle of the woods, or abandoned military bunker, or who knows what. Just love the mystery. Little bits and pieces of history.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 17:40:40

At 5/18/19 01:17 PM, Zymbot wrote: I don't go in those places.

I'm afraid of spooks!

What kind of spooks?

Just another NG user.

Thanks, @COOLZONE17500 for the cool signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 18:23:34

I'm really interested in old structures and rusted machinery, it does give off that kind of long-abandoned Fallout feeling like you mentioned.

There was a guy on Twitter who took a bunch of pictures of old construction machinery, I'll see about finding it if I can...

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 18:39:24

At 5/21/19 06:23 PM, GallowJolt wrote: I'm really interested in old structures and rusted machinery, it does give off that kind of long-abandoned Fallout feeling like you mentioned.

There was a guy on Twitter who took a bunch of pictures of old construction machinery, I'll see about finding it if I can...

That reminds me of my favorite "hiking" trail, White River Falls State Park in Oregon. It's a short trail alongside a remarkable waterall and there's an abandoned hydroelectric plant from ~1920. The building's structure is mostly in tact and gutted, but there's still huge bodies of machinery inside.

Pics:

iu_28726_1598754.jpgiu_28725_1598754.jpg

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 18:58:19

At 5/21/19 06:39 PM, War-Bear wrote:
At 5/21/19 06:23 PM, GallowJolt wrote: I'm really interested in old structures and rusted machinery, it does give off that kind of long-abandoned Fallout feeling like you mentioned.

That reminds me of my favorite "hiking" trail, White River Falls State Park in Oregon. It's a short trail alongside a remarkable waterall and there's an abandoned hydroelectric plant from ~1920. The building's structure is mostly in tact and gutted, but there's still huge bodies of machinery inside.

Pics:

Did you take those pics?

That's wicked!

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 22:14:25

My city used to have a lot of crusty old apartment complexes that got taken out of commission in the early 2000s. They lingered around for over a decade until the mayor finally destroyed them. Now there's just a bunch of ominous vacant lots in the city where they stood. There was one apartment complex in particular that was the size of a small village and now it's completely barren.

There's a riverside apartment complex downtown that recently closed down. It's got this really bizarre angular stone architecture with ridged sides. It'll be a shame when it gets torn down as well.

I think my favorite one is there's an abandoned grocery store in the middle of a residential neighborhood that's been closed since the 2000s, but every once in a while the power will come back on.

It's such a shame that exploring these types of buildings is dangerous and illegal. They seem like interesting locations for photos.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 22:22:51

Saw this weird ass building the other day...

iu_28762_1566174.jpg

iu_28763_1566174.jpg

iu_28764_1566174.jpg

Looked abandoned but the security cam and dne signs seemed a little different ... thought i mightve seen a hidden dull light coming from a window on the top floor... evil science lab? Who knows...

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 22:34:02

At 5/21/19 10:22 PM, Boss wrote: Looked abandoned but the security cam and dne signs seemed a little different ... thought i mightve seen a hidden dull light coming from a window on the top floor... evil science lab? Who knows...

I see those a lot too. My city is this weird amalgamation of 100+ yr old architecture & infrastructure with current-year technology bolted onto shit with no regard for safety regulations. It's a great juxtaposition.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-21 22:45:18

At 5/21/19 10:34 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 5/21/19 10:22 PM, Boss wrote: Looked abandoned but the security cam and dne signs seemed a little different ... thought i mightve seen a hidden dull light coming from a window on the top floor... evil science lab? Who knows...
I see those a lot too. My city is this weird amalgamation of 100+ yr old architecture & infrastructure with current-year technology bolted onto shit with no regard for safety regulations. It's a great juxtaposition.

that sounds awesome. this building was in a town near a smaller city around a bigger city in upstate new york, which is notorious for having abandoned barns. really cool graffiti on a big ass abandoned skyscraper somewhere around here too.. i think the art says "dr.oid" on one part

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-22 03:38:03

Actually we have an abandoned asylum near our house but I'm too scared to even take photos nor walk past it so kudos to you brave heart!

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-22 07:16:22

At 5/22/19 03:38 AM, CliffordJames wrote: Actually we have an abandoned asylum near our house but I'm too scared to even take photos nor walk past it so kudos to you brave heart!

I want to come take pics!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Abandoned buildings 2019-05-24 02:06:18

At 5/21/19 06:58 PM, RoboSeven wrote:
At 5/21/19 06:39 PM, War-Bear wrote:

Pics:
Did you take those pics?

That's wicked!

Indeed I did. Couple of years ago when I went for the first time, sadly I had a brick phone and therefore the pictures' quality is kinda shit. Anyhow, here's a picture of the waterfall and another structure up the hill from the main building.

I love this sort of shit, so more people should post some pics! Even if you haven't necessarily been there.

iu_29124_1598754.jpgiu_29125_1598754.jpg

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature