00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4DottorTette7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wick Editor Game Jam

11,996 Views | 82 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Heads up everyone, we’re gonna be hosting a Wick Editor game jam in May!

Wick Editor is a free, open-source, web-based tool for making animation and games. It’s a lot like Flash, which is really exciting. We actually discussed and tinkered with Wick in the forums back in 2017 (I made this); it was exciting then and has continued to evolve since.

Now would be a great time to give Wick a try, starting with these tutorials. Wick projects can be exported as ZIP, HTML, animated GIF or video, providing a wide range of flexibility.

I was able to whip up this sample animation without needing the tutorials, thanks to how familiar a lot of the features are. Based on my recent post, you could even rub it in my face that animators CAN switch to animating with HTML5. I would still recommend exporting animation in video format if you don’t have interactive elements, though. If you do export as HTML5, have viewers click a PLAY button, otherwise most browsers will mute the audio by default.

I hope lots of people give it a shot! The Wick Editor team is looking for feedback, so be sure to share your thoughts here in this thread. It will be cool to see how far we can push Wick in the upcoming jam.

iu_21089_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 13:39:41

Woah this is actually really exciting! I'll go ahead and play around with it today report back later with some thoughts. Thanks for sharing. A game jam for this also sounds like a blast, hopefully I'll get a chance to take part!

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 14:43:56 (edited 2019-04-23 14:45:10)

@TomFulp Cool..... What's your favorite Animation Software.

Follow me on Newgrounds.com

Support me on Patreon

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 14:44:10

Can't wait to see how this game jams turns out. It should give us some great submissions.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 15:33:40

At 4/23/19 02:43 PM, AngryDuck16 wrote: @TomFulp Cool..... What's your favorite Animation Software.

I don't animate much nowadays but have traditionally done everything in Flash, now re-branded Adobe Animate. Wick being free and browser-based could help a ton of people get into animation for the first time and I'm excited to see how it evolves as more and more people try it / give feedback. Running in a browser will create more performance hurdles than desktop software but I like to think that gap will shrink with time.

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 15:53:18 (edited 2019-04-23 15:56:38)

yooo I remember someone bringing this up in the forums waay back, but I haven't remembered the name of it. This is sweet and I'll have to check it out again. Yall can catch some shitty 2000's ass quizes and dress up games from me real soon

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 16:10:56

Hell yeah, I'm always up for a game jam! And new things are always welcome. I clicked those links, but since I'm on mobile, I just get a static dude and a button on the second one. Guess it's not mobile-compatible.

But, Tom, I know I've spammed PsychoGoldfish on Discord with this, but could you please get around to fixing the vote thresholds for the Art Portal when it comes to sorting by score? It's very inconvenient.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 16:36:52 (edited 2019-04-23 16:37:05)

Well that sounds interesting. I might give it a try when I'm not busy.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 17:49:47

Seems like a really non-noob-friendly tool. That's certainly not something anyone can make a game with. Looking forward to what you guys come up with.

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 19:30:05 (edited 2019-04-23 19:30:28)

At 4/23/19 01:39 PM, GoodL wrote: Woah this is actually really exciting! I'll go ahead and play around with it today report back later with some thoughts.

It really is. Play around and let us know what you come up with.

Thanks for sharing. A game jam for this also sounds like a blast, hopefully I'll get a chance to take part!

You should really made a submission.

At 4/23/19 01:44 PM, michaelvanvliet wrote: Sounds Intresting, I'll Try It

That is the spirit. Go for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 20:03:42

At 4/23/19 01:32 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hi

Hey Tom I had this problem for about a year now on my window PC where I cant upload a discusion - podcast every time I try to it ask me "select genre" so is it ok if I upload podcast to podcast-music just for now and I will keep trying to put them in discussion while I wait but I am sure it wont work !

From redeyes to you!

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 20:04:21

At 4/23/19 01:32 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Happy Easter Tom!

From redeyes to you!

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 21:33:14

At 4/23/19 02:57 PM, taspavelproductions wrote:
At 4/23/19 02:44 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Can't wait to see how this game jams turns out. It should give us some great submissions.
@fdawer kazza95!

You know it.

At 4/23/19 03:53 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: yooo I remember someone bringing this up in the forums waay back, but I haven't remembered the name of it.

I remember that as well, but that seems to happen all the time.

This is sweet and I'll have to check it out again. Yall can catch some shitty 2000's ass quizes and dress up games from me real soon

Make sure that you submit them all. You never which one could be a top winner.

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 22:14:23

wooh, iv never even heard of this, gonna give it a go & hopefully make something :D

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-23 23:58:12

Probably won't be able to finish anything in time for the

contest, but wick looks pretty interesting!

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 01:06:16 (edited 2019-04-24 01:07:29)

I'm back to report just like I said I would be!

iu_21204_5484611.png

So I tested out Wick Editor and I gotta say... I'm very impressed and really excited about this thing! I spent a few hours making this little game. I found it pretty intuitive; it didn't take me too long to figure out how to use it even with no prior knowledge of the software or even the dang coding language it uses! I'll share the game I made below if anyone wants to check it out, but first I'd like to share all the thoughts I wrote down as I was making this. I should mention that I was using v 0.15.2, haven't tried out v 1.0.5a yet.

Wick thoughts:

-No button for "draw inside" etc on brush tool?

-Bit of a long response time on my laptop (but I was running a bunch of high-intensity programs at the same time), fine on my desktop

-New layers should be added above the currently selected layer, not at the very bottom

-I like that layers don't necessitate blank frames before where you want a layer to start like Flash does.

-Any way to integrate the NG API? I'd love to be able to add medals!

-No way to lock/hide all layers at once? (Or solo a layer)

-Onion skin doesn't always seem to work

-After about an hour of work it started really acting up in ways that I don't even know how to describe. Saving and reloading fixed the issues.

-Flipping buttons horizontally makes them unclickable

-Copying a frame when you have an object also in your clipboard will paste both. Kind of annoying. (wasn't able to replicate this later, might have just been acting up again)

-I don't understand why duplicating something in the main scene puts it down and to the right (like Flash, though a bit further), but duplicating something inside a group puts it WAY up and to the left

aaaaaand that's all I wrote! Even the issues I ended up having with it throughout the day were fairly minimal, nothing I couldn't manage to pull through, which is really promising!

I wrote a whole bunch more over in the Author Comments section in the project which I believe I set to be viewable by anyone (I don't actually know though, never done that before...)

So here's the link:

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1326613/preview

I did mention at the bottom of the author comments that if some people are wanting some help with getting started using Wick, I'd be happy to help (maybe make a little tutorial or something), that way we can have as many great submissions to the upcoming jam as possible! Just let me know. :)

Once again, thanks for sharing this @TomFulp

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 01:09:54

At 4/23/19 02:57 PM, taspavelproductions wrote:
At 4/23/19 02:44 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Can't wait to see how this game jams turns out. It should give us some great submissions.
@fdawer kazza95!

I am confused to why i have been here mentioned? This does seem like something to try though.

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 04:58:07

if i was browser-based and similar in feel to flash, would there be a news post about me

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 05:24:23

Aaa I remember that Tom Game. XD Didn't remember that this was the thing that was used to make it...

Does seem pretty cool. If time allows.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 07:40:52

Im going to miss flash REST IN PEPPERONI

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 09:31:16

Too bad. I have vacation days NOw not in May ... :/

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 11:13:08

At 4/24/19 01:06 AM, GoodL wrote: I wrote a whole bunch more over in the Author Comments section in the project which I believe I set to be viewable by anyone (I don't actually know though, never done that before...)
So here's the link:
https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1326613/preview

You wrote a lot of great notes and this is a nice first time example game, right out the gate!

The vector drawing is more sluggish than Flash on my PC too - that is one of those things that I like to think will get better with time and tech but it still gets the job done. I didn't experiment too much but couldn't find an easy way to erase batches of vector art outside of the eraser tool - if I use the drag box to select a box of art, it selects the full brush strokes vs just what is inside the box, where in Flash it would select just what is in the box.

BBS Signature

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 13:27:56 (edited 2019-04-24 13:28:08)

I am hyped the fuck up LET'S GO!

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 13:48:38

I played around with the editor. It's very flash-like and easy to use. Can't wait for more details on the jam :)

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 14:29:26

If anyone here is looking for more example projects the ones found in this thread (both at the top & bottom) are really great and show how to do some more advanced things: https://forum.wickeditor.com/t/mistermenders-example-dump/1007

Also here is the demos forum in general: https://forum.wickeditor.com/c/demos-and-tutorials

Note that I made none of this lol, just found it last night while clicking around.

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 14:38:03 (edited 2019-04-25 15:44:36)

At 4/24/19 02:29 PM, Jhomas wrote: If anyone here is looking for more example projects the ones found in this thread (both at the top & bottom) are really great and show how to do some more advanced things: https://forum.wickeditor.com/t/mistermenders-example-dump/1007

Also here is the demos forum in general: https://forum.wickeditor.com/c/demos-and-tutorials

Note that I made none of this lol, just found it last night while clicking around.

Also see here for even more examples! http://wickeditor.com/#examples

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 17:42:05

i'm trying to use my tablet on wick but it lags and i can't find a way to fix it ლ(ಥ Д ಥ )ლ

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 22:19:04

I found my new tool

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-24 22:20:30

iu_21388_6711286.gif

Response to Wick Editor Game Jam 2019-04-25 01:08:10

At 4/23/19 04:10 PM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Hell yeah, I'm always up for a game jam! And new things are always welcome. I clicked those links, but since I'm on mobile, Guess it's not mobile-compatible.

New things can be useful, and game jams are always awesome.

but could you please get around to fixing the vote thresholds for the Art Portal when it comes to sorting by score? It's very inconvenient.

That is one more thing added to the fixing pile.

At 4/23/19 04:36 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Well that sounds interesting. I might give it a try when I'm not busy.

Go for it. The Future is here now.

BBS Signature