00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StickmanMarkinson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best place to start for 3d modeling

198 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm looking to import my own painted 3d models into unity, as I'm tired of using prefab assets. What's the best 3d modeling and painting program that would allow me to import to unity?

Response to Best place to start for 3d modeling 2019-03-31 03:17:14

Unity can handle most picture and 3D model formats. If you save a file from a modelling program, it usually does under-the-hood export to fbx – or you can do the export yourself (when you have a final model you don't need to edit anymore).

There's no such thing as "the best modelling program"; everybody has their own preferences. I'm using Blender (free, popular), others might recommend 3DsMax (more user-friendly), Maya, Cinema4D etc. Check a video or two to see which program would suit you. You can create great models in all of them, only differently.

It also depends on the approach you want. These are all for polygonal modelling (which is better for games since you want to keep your models small and simple), there are also programs for sculpting – Sculptris (free), Mudbox, ZBrush etc.

For painted 3D models, you might want to check out Substance Painter which allows you to paint your finished models directly (think of it as a sort of "3D Photoshop"), otherwise you'd usually need to export a UV map and paint that flat image in any painting/image editing program.

Response to Best place to start for 3d modeling 2019-03-31 16:11:57

there are also programs for sculpting – Sculptris (free),

For painted 3D models, you might want to check out Substance Painter which allows you to paint your finished models directly (think of it as a sort of "3D Photoshop"), otherwise you'd usually need to export a UV map and paint that flat image in any painting/image editing program.

Thank you! I will be looking into substance painter, because I think that's really what I wanted. I already have a couple other programs that I use for modeling, but couldn't find a way of painting them.

I have sculptris, but I was under the impression that you couldn't export those kinds of files into unity. o-o

Response to Best place to start for 3d modeling 2019-03-31 16:57:29

You can't use the Sculptris file directly, but it has an obj export option which should be fine. The problem, however, is with the complexity of the model. A pretty good, optimized human model from Blender / 3DsMax might look like this:

iu_16406_4428769.jpg

But Sculptris will export something like this:

iu_16405_4428769.jpg

Needlessly complex and the game will probably run slow. Also hard to edit. That's the real issue.

At 3/31/19 04:11 PM, ThePaintedDogg wrote: Thank you! I will be looking into substance painter, because I think that's really what I wanted. I already have a couple other programs that I use for modeling, but couldn't find a way of painting them.

Just to clarify, you don't do modelling directly in Substance Painter, only the painting after you're done with modelling.

I think there are ways to paint in 3D modelling programs, too, but usually pretty lacklustre in comparison with SP which is made entirely for the purpose. E.g. in Blender, there's Vertex Paint mode:

iu_16407_4428769.png

In Substance Painter you paint with materials, using different brushes, layers, effects etc.

iu_16408_4428769.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

Response to Best place to start for 3d modeling 2019-04-07 00:57:02

At 3/31/19 04:57 PM, Rallyx wrote: You can't use the Sculptris file directly, but it has an obj export option which should be fine. The problem, however, is with the complexity of the model. A pretty good, optimized human model from Blender / 3DsMax might look like this:

But Sculptris will export something like this:

Needlessly complex and the game will probably run slow. Also hard to edit. That's the real issue.

At 3/31/19 04:11 PM, ThePaintedDogg wrote: Thank you! I will be looking into substance painter, because I think that's really what I wanted. I already have a couple other programs that I use for modeling, but couldn't find a way of painting them.
Just to clarify, you don't do modelling directly in Substance Painter, only the painting after you're done with modelling.
I think there are ways to paint in 3D modelling programs, too, but usually pretty lacklustre in comparison with SP which is made entirely for the purpose. E.g. in Blender, there's Vertex Paint mode:

In Substance Painter you paint with materials, using different brushes, layers, effects etc.

Hope that helps. :)

This does help, thank you so much for putting the time in to explain this to me. I really appreciate it!