00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

OpSystemFilms just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment

192 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello. I'm a cartoonist and writer and I want to produce cartoons and comics for kids.

I have a character I created who is a buzzkill- he's a perpetual troublemaker who likes to cause trouble for others. He tells others he wants to "poop on their parades".

Is this acceptable? Can you use terms like "poop" or phrases like "poop on" in a kids' cartoon or comic?

I originally wanted the character to say he wants to "crap on people's parades", because I thought that sounded funnier, but then I realized "crap on" wouldn't be acceptable in a kids' cartoon or comic- that would be construed as a vulgarism.

I would like to think you can use "poop" or "poop on"- people say "party pooper" in kids'/family/all-age entertainment.

Please help- thank you.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 22:49:11

Like mentioned before the use of the word depends on the age of the child. Someone 5 years and under is only going to understand poop as one thing, the stuff their tummy turns food into.

If you're audience was 8-10 year olds the potty humor would be more appropriate.

At 3/28/19 10:49 PM, Fro wrote: Like mentioned before the use of the word depends on the age of the child. Someone 5 years and under is only going to understand poop as one thing, the stuff their tummy turns food into.

If you're audience was 8-10 year olds the potty humor would be more appropriate.

I want to produce entertainment that appeals to all ages but I don't want to do something babyish. That's going to turn older audiences off.

I said this before, but apparently you missed it:

"Here is a sample of my character's dialogue- the spiel he uses when he encounters people he doesn't like:

"I'm Buzzkill Bunny! I don't like you! I don't like anything about you! You make my nose twitch! You rub my fur the wrong way! You make my tail stand on end! I consider you to be the very bane of my existence, and I'm here to dump on your parade!"

I wanted to say "crap on", originally, but I realized that was too crude and vulgar-sounding. I then changed that to "poop on", but then people are saying that's vulgar too. Is what I have here acceptable?

Yes. my character is a villian. A deliberate troublemaker."

I then proceeded to say, "I can have my character say 'I'm here to rain on your parade!' I think that's simple enough. I can have him say that forcefully."

I don't think toilet humor is appropriate in kids' entertainment. That's very lowbrow. So are jokes about flatulence.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-29 14:36:58

I read all that, I like those lines better for a kids character. I agree with your potty humor comment as well.

To show that potty humor has the same laugh result I asked my daughter what she thought about a bad guy who said I'm going to poop on your parade. She laughed then said, wait what of they say I'm going to per on your parade. She laughed again and said what of they say I'm going to throw rocks at their parade?! She laughed equally as hard at all the versions.