00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thatgooner just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment

302 Views | 10 Replies

I'm a cartoonist and writer and I want to produce cartoons and comics for kids.

I have a character I created who is a buzzkill- he's a perpetual troublemaker who likes to cause trouble for others. He tells others he wants to "poop on their parades".

Is this acceptable? Can you use terms like "poop" or phrases like "poop on" in a kids' cartoon or comic?

I originally wanted the character to say he wants to "crap on people's parades", because I thought that sounded funnier, but then I realized "crap on" wouldn't be acceptable in a kids' cartoon or comic- that would be construed as a vulgarism.

I would like to think you can use "poop" or "poop on"- people say "party pooper" in kids'/family/all-age entertainment.

Please help- thank you.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 02:30:38

iu_15747_2594597.gif

BBS Signature

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 10:01:59

At 3/28/19 02:30 AM, Gremlin wrote: ...

I was serious when I posted this thread.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 12:16:09

Are there any writers here who care to chime in on this thread?

Is my thread in the right place?

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 12:54:49

I'd think for young kids, yeah that's still too vulgar. They like poop jokes but that's figurative language/metaphorical etc. They may not even get it.

What age group you lookin at?

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 14:12:02

At 3/28/19 12:54 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I'd think for young kids, yeah that's still too vulgar. They like poop jokes but that's figurative language/metaphorical etc. They may not even get it.

I think I can simply say "dump on". Is that okay, or is that still considered vulgar?

To answer your question, all ages. I want to do G-rated stuff.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 16:19:42

At 3/28/19 02:12 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 3/28/19 12:54 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I'd think for young kids, yeah that's still too vulgar. They like poop jokes but that's figurative language/metaphorical etc. They may not even get it.

I think I can simply say "dump on". Is that okay, or is that still considered vulgar?

Just stay away from all the potty humor. It's funny to them, but they'll laugh at anything related to using the toilet. They're only laughing because of the word though, not because what you just said was funny.

As Seven said, don't use figurative or metaphorical jokes with kids. They just won't understand it. You would get a genuine laugh out of a kid if you put a parade getting caught in the rain storm and a character saying, "Well that really rained on my parade!"

I'll quote one of my daughters favorite youtube series on a joke that gets her every time.

(Frankenstein's legs fall off)

Character - Looks like he doesn't have a leg to stand on!

Character 2 - Bad joke!

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 16:56:30

Here is a sample of my character's dialogue- the spiel he uses when he encounters people he doesn't like:

"I'm Buzzkill Bunny! I don't like you! I don't like anything about you! You make my nose twitch! You rub my fur the wrong way! You make my tail stand on end! I consider you to be the very bane of my existence, and I'm here to dump on your parade!"

I wanted to say "crap on", originally, but I realized that was too crude and vulgar-sounding. I then changed that to "poop on", but then people are saying that's vulgar too. Is what I have here acceptable?

Yes. my character is a villian. A deliberate troublemaker.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 19:26:37

At 3/28/19 04:19 PM, Fro wrote:
At 3/28/19 02:12 PM, ngman7 wrote:

Just stay away from all the potty humor. It's funny to them, but they'll laugh at anything related to using the toilet. They're only laughing because of the word though, not because what you just said was funny.

As Seven said, don't use figurative or metaphorical jokes with kids. They just won't understand it. You would get a genuine laugh out of a kid if you put a parade getting caught in the rain storm and a character saying, "Well that really rained on my parade!"

I'll quote one of my daughters favorite youtube series on a joke that gets her every time.

(Frankenstein's legs fall off)
Character - Looks like he doesn't have a leg to stand on!
Character 2 - Bad joke!

I can have my character say "I'm here to rain on your parade!" I think that's simple enough. I can have him say that forcefully.

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 19:57:08

why would you talk about poop in kids entertainment, you sick fuck?

fuck yuo idiote

BBS Signature

Response to "Poop (on)" in kids' entertainment 2019-03-28 20:18:53

At 3/28/19 07:57 PM, Sevkat wrote: why would you talk about poop in kids entertainment....?

Not THAT kind of poop. Did you not read the beginning of my thread, where I mentioned the term "party pooper"?

You've never heard anyone say they were "pooped"? Especially in kids' entertainment?

I said "rain on your parade" was sufficient, and I can have my character say it forcefully.