00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Genetics Enthusiasts

541 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Genetics Enthusiasts 2019-02-08 14:48:23

Welcome everyone to my club about genetic experimentation aka sci-fi club.

Idk how to describe this club, so I will just start us off with the first discussion topic.

Sharks grow new teeth very often, could you imagine if we could use those genetics to treat cavities?

No one would have to worry, since you could just grow new teeth!

What do you think about this, and what other genetics could we benefit from? All welcome to participate.

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to Genetics Enthusiasts 2019-03-25 19:54:08

At 2/8/19 02:48 PM, belthagor wrote: Welcome everyone to my club about genetic experimentation aka sci-fi club.

Idk how to describe this club, so I will just start us off with the first discussion topic.

Sharks grow new teeth very often, could you imagine if we could use those genetics to treat cavities?

No one would have to worry, since you could just grow new teeth!

What do you think about this, and what other genetics could we benefit from? All welcome to participate.

A Japanese doctor named Tsuji something has already successfully created new teeth for mice, and new hair follicles for humans. I read that they're preparing to treat bald people with hair created from their own cells, as they've successfully found a way to multiply the cells without them losing their ability to grow hair, which apparently was a problem before.

Response to Genetics Enthusiasts 2019-11-22 10:16:07 (edited 2019-11-22 10:18:37)

I was kinda hoping for a more technical discussion (On Newgrounds of course) since this was what I used to study. You can genetically engineer in different ways. CRISPR-Cas9 being the current popular method. One of my previous (More senior) coworkers actually worked on cloning Dolly the Sheep - The first cloned mammal. There is a lot of debate over the ethics of genetic engineering and its uses.

A while ago there was controversy over genetically-modified human babies that were born healthy but were genetically modified in secret. They had one of their genes edited by CRISPR-Cas9 so that (I'm a bit rusty) it doesn't get expressed and make a surface protein which HIV uses to enter/invade the body's T cells. The researcher secretly made babies who were born immune to HIV is what I'm trying to say.

Response to Genetics Enthusiasts 2020-02-06 18:49:57

As someone who studies biology im in