00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd!

10,618 Views | 56 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Heads up: Wednesday, January 23rd is Pixel Day on Newgrounds!

This year will mark our fourth annual celebration of classic gaming aesthetic. You can participate by making original pixel art, animation, games or chiptunes! Publish your entry on January 23rd and include the "pixelday2019" tag.

We hope artists from outside of NG will use Pixel Day as an opportunity to sign up and give Newgrounds a try. You might find out you like it here! If nothing else, your contribution will help make Pixel Day as successful as it can be. We'd love for Pixel Day to be something a lot of people can look forward to every year, as a cure for the winter blues.

Yes, you can enter multiple categories or submit multiple entries. Yes, you can upload something you've already made if you've never shared it on NG!

iu_1204_1.gif

Dancing gang by @PaulRobertson

There are prizes!

Best Animation - $100

Best Game - $100

Best Music - $100

Best Art - $100

The TOP 3 entries in each category will receive honorary supporter status and Steam keys for CrossCode, Eskimo Bob, Mad Nords and Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage!

MONDAY, JAN 7th UPDATE: You can react to forum posts now!

Shout out to @RealFaction, who originally suggested this event and @moawling, who made this year’s promo art:

iu_1202_1.gif

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 16:51:50

GIFs are working again huh. :) Nice. Hope I'll have time to make something this year... little or nothing, always a fun event. Solid promo work too @moawling !

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 17:16:28

At 1/3/19 04:51 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: GIFs are working again huh. :) Nice. Hope I'll have time to make something this year... little or nothing, always a fun event. Solid promo work too @moawling !

Yup, the animated gif fix rolled out this week. Some other forum touch-ups are still wrapping up and then it's on to the other stuff!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 17:23:13

At 1/3/19 05:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yup, the animated gif fix rolled out this week. Some other forum touch-ups are still wrapping up and then it's on to the other stuff!

Awesome, looking forward to those too!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 18:18:12

At 1/3/19 04:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Can't wait to see what we get from all the awesome NG people. By the way that is a gorgeous promotion GIF

Drink coffee.

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 18:23:40

When I was making the writing competitions for this year I tried to match up some themes with existing Newgrounds holidays... I just couldn't figure out what to do for Pixel day that could be a good writing prompt :P

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 18:30:49

At 1/3/19 06:23 PM, Fro wrote: When I was making the writing competitions for this year I tried to match up some themes with existing Newgrounds holidays... I just couldn't figure out what to do for Pixel day that could be a good writing prompt :P

Something related to 80s video games or something... maybe next year!

BBS Signature

This is going to be fun!

I do wish or hope there is a pixel art collab for Pixel Day where NG users

make a hand made sprite entry on a single huge pic either this month or the future

but what is the risk on making a pixel art collab?

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-03 22:17:28

Looking forward to this!

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 03:38:05

Looking forward to Pixel Day 2019. One of my favorite events.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 03:41:52

I love the gifs. Can't wait to see the entries (and review them)! Nice that you're doing small fixes on the side still. I'm betting that you haven't been quite this active with updates in a long time.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 07:51:48

At 1/3/19 06:23 PM, Fro wrote: When I was making the writing competitions for this year I tried to match up some themes with existing Newgrounds holidays... I just couldn't figure out what to do for Pixel day that could be a good writing prompt :P

Game scripts, maybe? :) Could have some kind of collaborative competition there too.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 10:23:19

At 1/4/19 03:41 AM, TheBoogyFlicker wrote: I love the gifs. Can't wait to see the entries (and review them)! Nice that you're doing small fixes on the side still. I'm betting that you haven't been quite this active with updates in a long time.

NG is actually in a constant state of update at all times, it's just that a lot of the updates are big projects behind the scenes. We're trying to deploy more small items as they happen, vs waiting for full sections to be complete, for the sake of having more visible momentum. It also helps that we're ALMOST done moving areas of the site to the new layout, although we still have plenty to do there. The original plan for early 2019 was to tackle PM, project system, wiki and leftover pages that still use the old layout but a lot is getting bumped back to focus on Art Portal upgrades.

There's also a big tag overhaul happening behind the scenes right now and a lot of those changes won't be immediately obvious - a lot of pages will change on the back-end before new functionality comes in.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 10:26:17

At 1/3/19 06:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Something related to 80s video games or something... maybe next year!

Oh yeah duh... that would have been easy to figure out..

At 1/4/19 07:51 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Game scripts, maybe? :) Could have some kind of collaborative competition there too.

I'm all for collaborative competitions. I plan on working out a collaborative competition that has to do with some newgrounds audio here soon, but if we wanted it to be scripts for pixel day it would be better for them to be done in December so they were done in advance.

Soon, let's see how the regular ones go first.

I had already done mine on 15th of last month.

iu_1244_6790143.png

Its page

At 1/3/19 04:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: Heads up: Wednesday, January 23rd is Pixel Day on Newgrounds!

This year will mark our fourth annual celebration of classic gaming aesthetic. You can participate by making original pixel art, animation, games or chiptunes! Publish your entry on January 23rd and include the "pixelday2019" tag.

We hope artists from outside of NG will use Pixel Day as an opportunity to sign up and give Newgrounds a try. You might find out you like it here! If nothing else, your contribution will help make Pixel Day as successful as it can be. We'd love for Pixel Day to be something a lot of people can look forward to every year, as a cure for the winter blues.

Yes, you can enter multiple categories or submit multiple entries. Yes, you can upload something you've already made if you've never shared it on NG!

Dancing gang by @PaulRobertson

There are prizes!

Best Animation - $100
Best Game - $100
Best Music - $100
Best Art - $100

The TOP 3 entries in each category will receive honorary supporter status and Steam keys for CrossCode, Eskimo Bob, Mad Nords and Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage!

Shout out to @RealFaction, who originally suggested this event and @moawling, who made this year’s promo art:

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 14:10:35

iu_1245_6862514.jpg

My banner, looks like the adult swim logo.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 15:25:36

At 1/4/19 10:26 AM, Fro wrote: I'm all for collaborative competitions. I plan on working out a collaborative competition that has to do with some newgrounds audio here soon, but if we wanted it to be scripts for pixel day it would be better for them to be done in December so they were done in advance.

Yeah it's a bit late now, but something for the future maybe! Cool to hear about the other thing.

Soon, let's see how the regular ones go first.

For sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 15:25:43

At 1/4/19 02:10 PM, KevUnwin wrote: Picture

It's a masterpiece. :O

BBS Signature

Oh boy am I hyped! First time submitting to an event here on NG, working on the final scenes for my submission, then I gotta do/get audio, it's been a trial but I can't wait to show it off!

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-04 20:36:30

Yes! My favourite event!

I will play/listen/watch/see your submissions. Also, I might upload a chiptune.

If there is anyone there that wants to make a collaboration pixel game, (not for this pixelday obviously, just to have fun), contact me! I have little experience in game development but I'm pretty good at coding, and I make (sometimes nice) chiptunes.

sup

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-05 07:01:36

At 1/5/19 12:11 AM, Colorflower wrote: Is pixel day is January 23rd every year?

Back in 2017 it was actually the 21st, for some reason... but yes, otherwise always the 23rd.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-05 16:11:57

I have no patience for even regular doodling, let alone tediously pixeling something. But I do wanna see what everybody cooks up. I have tons of respect for people who can do something so meticulous, so well at any kind of regular interval.

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-08 03:39:38

Hmm i saw a bunch of great pixel art stuff being posted but they don´t use the "pixelday2019"

Anything on that?

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-08 08:23:25

At 1/8/19 03:39 AM, TheAstra wrote: Hmm i saw a bunch of great pixel art stuff being posted but they don´t use the "pixelday2019"
Anything on that?

Well it's not the 23rd yet. :) Hope most of those artists are aware of the event though. It'd be the ideal day to submit their work if they don't have a constant stream of such stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-10 03:50:09

is it okay to post before 23rd Jan?

At 1/10/19 03:50 AM, yelllowflash wrote: is it okay to post before 23rd Jan?

Yes it is, you can post anytime before the deadline.

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-10 08:18:02

At 1/10/19 03:50 AM, yelllowflash wrote: is it okay to post before 23rd Jan?

You're welcome to post pixel art any day of the year but if you want it to be part of the Pixel Day celebration you should upload it on Pixel Day.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-15 08:32:44

Is there a limit for the runtime animation? And if I want to get in, what should I do other than taggin it?

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-15 09:09:27

At 1/15/19 08:32 AM, descom wrote: Is there a limit for the runtime animation? And if I want to get in, what should I do other than taggin it?

For animation in the Movie portal there's no runtime limit. Just tagging it with pixelday2019 will be enough to get noticed.

BBS Signature

Response to Pixel Day is Coming January 23rd! 2019-01-16 11:16:26

So cute!!

BBS Signature