00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

gabmaster5 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stop emails for "Monthly voting"

470 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-03 10:31:26

I regularly receive invitations to participate in monthly voting. Is there a way to prevent those mails? I have tried blocking P-bot but it did not work.

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-03 12:44:16

At 1/3/19 10:31 AM, patwotrik wrote: I regularly receive invitations to participate in monthly voting. Is there a way to prevent those mails? I have tried blocking P-bot but it did not work.

They're automatically sent to the most active users of the month, so … stop voting on stuff, I guess …

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-03 13:46:31

At 1/3/19 12:44 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/3/19 10:31 AM, patwotrik wrote: I regularly receive invitations to participate in monthly voting. Is there a way to prevent those mails? I have tried blocking P-bot but it did not work.
They're automatically sent to the most active users of the month, so … stop voting on stuff, I guess …

Maybe I should have mentioned that I don't want to decrease my activity. :)

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-03 16:43:44

Hey I see those voting messages as a privilege. :) Only a select few users get them you know?

I don't think there's been a case before where someone wanted to turn them off...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-03 22:20:19

At 1/3/19 04:43 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Hey I see those voting messages as a privilege. :) Only a select few users get them you know?

I don't think there's been a case before where someone wanted to turn them off...

Privilege or not, I'm not interested in them so the email is only an annoyance for me, even if it small. If I'm the only one that does not like them, I don't see the reason to do anything about it.

To be honest, the main reason I'm not interested is that there are way to many games. If I should participate I want to try all games to give them all a fair go, but trying over 50 games is way too much. I tried it once, but I realized that I gave the first game a much better testing than the last. In the end I was more like in the mood "a few left and then it's over"

10 games would be more managable. It could be solved so that everybody who participate in the monthly voting get different games to try.

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-03 23:53:49

For emails, go here and de-select the box for "Private Messages". Since the Monthly Vote invite is a PM, it won't show up in your email.

I don't think you can block it from the PM inbox though.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-04 00:00:01

There's no way to prevent them from showing up in your inbox unless you don't vote on as much stuff from now on. The message is sent to the most active voters on the site. You can't block P-Bot or any of the bots because they're like automated systems for certain things here on Newgrounds.

So, your only options are to stop voting on as many submissions or just delete the message everytime it pops up in your inbox. I suggest the second option. I understand it frustrates you because you don't want to receive that message every month, but it's better than to stop voting on submissions just so you don't see one measly message.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

At 1/3/19 10:20 PM, patwotrik wrote: Privilege or not, I'm not interested in them so the email is only an annoyance for me, even if it small. If I'm the only one that does not like them, I don't see the reason to do anything about it.

To be honest, the main reason I'm not interested is that there are way to many games. If I should participate I want to try all games to give them all a fair go, but trying over 50 games is way too much. I tried it once, but I realized that I gave the first game a much better testing than the last. In the end I was more like in the mood "a few left and then it's over"

10 games would be more managable. It could be solved so that everybody who participate in the monthly voting get different games to try.

Hmm that's an interesting idea. Having a different selection show to different users might make them participate a bit more in the selection process, but at the same time I wonder how fair that'd be to the submissions that really stand out, that everyone would rank #1. They're few and far between but every now and then there comes a submission that's really a whole level above the competition.

I'll admit my Top 10 each month consists mainly of movies though, since as you say there's just too many games. Don't have the time or will to go through them all, but in regard to animations I've usually already seen a fair share of them during the month, and any additional ones that pique my interest when I skim through the list are easy to catch-up with.

I'm impressed by your dedication here, but I don't feel like you need to spend so much time with this, if you want to at all. Most users probably have a very subjective list, where they pick out ones they've seen/played already, or maybe ones they hadn't even tried yet that catch their interest. The selection's basically all the submissions from the past month that's won an award, so it's a pretty simple way to filter out the best (according to user votes that month), and then let users vote on their selections once more to choose the best of those. :) It's not always fair, as users often favor trends, certain authors etc, but... usually it works pretty well.

Hopefully it's just a minor inconvenience though. The Bot messages usually serve a purpose, so creating some kind of option to block them seems... maybe un-wise... even if this particular thing could be an exception.

BBS Signature

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-04 23:41:48

At 1/4/19 12:00 AM, Big-Boss wrote:
There's no way to prevent them from showing up in your inbox unless you don't vote on as much stuff from now on. The message is sent to the most active voters on the site. You can't block P-Bot or any of the bots because they're like automated systems for certain things here on Newgrounds.

So, your only options are to stop voting on as many submissions or just delete the message everytime it pops up in your inbox. I suggest the second option. I understand it frustrates you because you don't want to receive that message every month, but it's better than to stop voting on submissions just so you don't see one measly message.

Yeah, I will continue voting. As I said it's not a huge deal, but it is a slight annoyance. But what really annoys me is that I'm being punished (if even so slightly) for contributing to the site.

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-05 06:31:17

At 1/4/19 11:41 PM, patwotrik wrote: Yeah, I will continue voting. As I said it's not a huge deal, but it is a slight annoyance. But what really annoys me is that I'm being punished (if even so slightly) for contributing to the site.

Punished, man, what a way to look at this. :/ Think of it as just one of those automatic messages you get sometimes, like an OS or program update. There are probably way more less important messages you're getting at a much more regular basis no? At most 12 invites to join in on an exclusive voting panel every year... that really doesn't sound like a punishment to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-05 19:57:25

At 1/5/19 06:31 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/4/19 11:41 PM, patwotrik wrote: Yeah, I will continue voting. As I said it's not a huge deal, but it is a slight annoyance. But what really annoys me is that I'm being punished (if even so slightly) for contributing to the site.
Punished, man, what a way to look at this. :/ Think of it as just one of those automatic messages you get sometimes, like an OS or program update. There are probably way more less important messages you're getting at a much more regular basis no? At most 12 invites to join in on an exclusive voting panel every year... that really doesn't sound like a punishment to me.

Come on, I think I was quite clear when I wrote that "If I'm the only one that does not like them, I don't see the reason to do anything about it.", "it's not a huge deal, but it is a slight annoyance" and "if ever so slightly". This is a bit nitpicking about choice of words. I know that it is not intended as a punishment and I am exaggerating quite a bit.

But if we should be a bit more precise and almost philosophical, it is undoubtedly an "intended annoying consequence of my actions". If I was about to define the term "punishment" it would not be very far from this. Just add "with the purpose of discouraging those actions" and we're done.

As I have mentioned several times, it's no biggie. I wondered if there was a way to stop it, and the answer is no. I'm perfectly ok with that.

At 1/5/19 07:57 PM, patwotrik wrote: But if we should be a bit more precise and almost philosophical, it is undoubtedly an "intended annoying consequence of my actions". If I was about to define the term "punishment" it would not be very far from this. Just add "with the purpose of discouraging those actions" and we're done.

Hmm that is a new way to look at it... though there's no particular offense involved, the word use does seem somewhat more merited.

As I have mentioned several times, it's no biggie. I wondered if there was a way to stop it, and the answer is no. I'm perfectly ok with that.

OK, good to hear!

BBS Signature

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-06 08:17:58

At 1/6/19 05:58 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/5/19 07:57 PM, patwotrik wrote: But if we should be a bit more precise and almost philosophical, it is undoubtedly an "intended annoying consequence of my actions". If I was about to define the term "punishment" it would not be very far from this. Just add "with the purpose of discouraging those actions" and we're done.
Hmm that is a new way to look at it... though there's no particular offense involved, the word use does seem somewhat more merited.

OK, good to hear!

I guess the biggest annoyance is the fact that I get happy when I get mail, but the happiness turns to disappointment when it's just another bot message. :)

Response to Stop emails for "Monthly voting" 2019-01-06 08:47:12

At 1/6/19 08:17 AM, patwotrik wrote: I guess the biggest annoyance is the fact that I get happy when I get mail, but the happiness turns to disappointment when it's just another bot message. :)

Ah, maybe just need to start interacting with some more users then. :) When there's always a bundle waiting those Bot messages get lost in the crowd.

BBS Signature