00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirko99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

SFM?

9,237 Views | 52 Replies

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 03:39:16

At 1/1/19 03:24 AM, ManualControl wrote: So you're telling us that this is a reactionary rule only implemented incredibly recently. Yeah. Cause that's fair. They could have at least asked their community if the rule should be implemented or not.

I can only say that this rule wasn't there back when the first wave happened in mid November. I don't read the rules every day. That would get boring :p.

At 1/1/19 03:07 AM, solitonmedic wrote: If this is the case, you should let a mod know that it's misunderstanding. If you can prove it's your original asset, there shouldn't be any reason why would your SFM submissions should be taken down.

Not necessarily. You cannot use assets that came from games or assets created by others, even WITH their permission..

In short, EVERYTHING needs to have been made by yourself.

I could try, but if you are right that every bit needs to be made by me, then none of my art can be reuploaded as they use either a map or models to create a scene. Only one picture could be uploaded because it just features Felicia with a black background, which would just be poor quality art (IMO).

Rereading the whole topic while, Tom said that SFM Art in general was just banned. So it would just be me wasting the time of a mod for nothing :(.

I hope that Tom can clear up a few things on what's allowed and what isn't. It's probably the New Year after effects that makes me confused and uncertain.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 03:42:55

At 1/1/19 03:39 AM, Tahlian wrote: I hope that Tom can clear up a few things on what's allowed and what isn't. It's probably the New Year after effects that makes me confused and uncertain.

Hopefully this situation matures enough so we'll know what's allowed now. It's been a huge mess for scouts lately in the AP.. (myself included)

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 03:48:30

At 1/1/19 03:24 AM, ManualControl wrote:
At 1/1/19 02:54 AM, Tahlian wrote: I can tell you that at the time when the first wave of Tumblr artists moved in, this rule didn't exist. I double checked it to make sure that SFM art was allowed. A bit silly, but I can see the reason behind this rule.

I'm just sort of annoyed that my whole gallery got purged and with the bold part of the rule. Some of the uploads only had models I did create myself (Felicia and Ankha) and nobody else has these.
So you're telling us that this is a reactionary rule only implemented incredibly recently. Yeah. Cause that's fair. They could have at least asked their community if the rule should be implemented or not.

agree the Rule didn't exist

and i just have all my work delete

why you newground don't kick us instead of make arbitrary rules

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 04:26:54

At 12/31/18 07:38 PM, ManualControl wrote:
At 12/31/18 07:19 PM, TheBoogyFlicker wrote: That's what I've been saying this entire time. Static images with that stuff is just you posing someone else's work, animation is moving it, adding much more value to it.

Again, I'm arguing against static images here. That's what Tom said, you're not listening.
This implies that the people put no work into making the scene or the pose, which in most cases is not true. If you have used SFM, You would know it's not as easy as just putting a model in and instantly getting a good picture. First, You must actually make the scene, which is much harder then you would think because you have to place everything, find what you need, figure out what you want it to look like. Sure, Corners could be cut by just loading up a map, but there is still the fact of posing what you want, lighting it correctly, making it actually look GOOD and then tons of other things you would know if you were an SFM Artist.

And the way you talk about it proves that you most likely have never even touched the program.

I'll admit it, I haven't touched it. I haven't touched any animation program. But it's not really about effort. At least not in this case, since for most things here we judge based on effort, but also on whether they add to the material they're using. You need to understand that our rules are different. That kind of stuff just isn't allowed, and I understand why. We're not trying to alienate anyone, nor is Tom being unfair to SFM artists. They're welcome to animate things, but we can have the rules we want. They are for the site's safety, and Tom wouldn't alienate an artist base for no reason.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 05:14:23

Unfortunately, i did not submit the Source Filmmaker from Newgrounds.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 16:00:13

Well. Even though I payed for the majority of the things I use. I guess im not aloud to exist here either. I was hoping for a new home but. I get the feeling this will be just the start of the new years troubles. If this rule is ever lifted or altered I will come back and support the site financially as well (I believe this site needs to exist and continue existing). Just sad cause i was excited to be a part of a community I grew up with before joining outright.

It was fun meeting any of you that followed me on here but I'm not welcome here. :c Suppose I'll just move back to derpi and inkbunny.

If I might ask? If I had a part in the creation of an asset. or the outright payment for an asset (model) and when I say that I mean I'm the only person who has the item other then the model maker. Does that count as something I'm aloud to use in a post here? or is that still against the rules? Cause were I lack model making skills. I like paying my friends to make things for me to use. I have enough models that if that works I could make it by on a few posts and animations.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 16:49:50

At 1/1/19 04:00 PM, MrTekTite wrote: Well. Even though I payed for the majority of the things I use.

Please use the Source Filmmaker community forums.

The amount of money you’ve paid to assist with your static picture has no effect on its acceptability here.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 17:40:57

What does this mean for artists like me then, that made custom models but use the same style as sfm assets (In my case, remade the pony head with custom body sculpts for anthro work, I render using Iray.), or Hooves-art, who essentially paints over his renders entirely. Are we not allowed here then?

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 18:37:00 (edited 2019-01-01 18:54:15)

At 1/1/19 04:49 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/1/19 04:00 PM, MrTekTite wrote: Well. Even though I payed for the majority of the things I use.
Please use the Source Filmmaker community forums.

The amount of money you’ve paid to assist with your static picture has no effect on its acceptability here.

I've mainly been doing animations but thank you for not answering my questions and making assumptions.

If I'm paying for a tool that only I have. whats the difference between that and a tool another person makes for there own use? no one has it or can use it. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just frustrated that another site is taking the hentai foundry route on content creation. I'm being told my work does not matter cause someone else created the materials I work with.

I just got kicked out of my home site of 5 years and the new one I wanna be apart of days later changed the rules and told me to get the fuck out with my content as well. Sorry if I'm being a pain.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 19:43:28

At 1/1/19 06:37 PM, MrTekTite wrote:
At 1/1/19 04:49 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The amount of money you’ve paid to assist with your static picture has no effect on its acceptability here.
I've mainly been doing animations but thank you for not answering my questions and making assumptions.

Firstly, your questions are the wrong questions. Your work is not being permitted because you’re utilising somebody else’s assets to make a pic. That’s it.

Secondly, if you’re only doing animations with it, it’s not a problem. I don’t know why you’re complaining otherwise.

Thirdly (and this is my biggest problem with what you said) I’m totally not interested in how deep your pockets are in order to make your pics.

I just got kicked out of my home site of 5 years and the new one I wanna be apart of days later changed the rules and told me to get the fuck out with my content as well.

Nobody’s changed the rules: pics made with scene creators were never permitted. A lot of you are failing to accept that.

Sorry if I'm being a pain.

I prefer people who can make arguments without sarcasm.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 21:51:05

At 1/1/19 07:43 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/1/19 04:49 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The amount of money you’ve paid to assist with your static picture has no effect on its acceptability here.
Firstly, your questions are the wrong questions. Your work is not being permitted because you’re utilising somebody else’s assets to make a pic. That’s it.

Secondly, if you’re only doing animations with it, it’s not a problem. I don’t know why you’re complaining otherwise.

Thirdly (and this is my biggest problem with what you said) I’m totally not interested in how deep your pockets are in order to make your pics.

I just got kicked out of my home site of 5 years and the new one I wanna be apart of days later changed the rules and told me to get the fuck out with my content as well.
Nobody’s changed the rules: pics made with scene creators were never permitted. A lot of you are failing to accept that.

Honestly, I feel using SFM as an example of a "scene creator" is an erroneous classification at best and a manipulative lie at worst. It's not a scene creator, It's an animation program just like Blender except with one feature (In-Program Modeling) missing.

Also, Yes, The rules were changed. Adding SFM as an example of a "scene creator" is a change. Saying they were not changed is a flat out lie.

And they still bring up a valid point. If they payed for the model, It is their model. This isn't flexing their money, it's about using a product they purchased to create their art. Just like people who purchase tablets to draw their art, or paying for music and sprites to make a game.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-01 22:20:05

At 1/1/19 09:51 PM, ManualControl wrote:
At 1/1/19 07:43 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

Honestly, I feel using SFM as an example of a "scene creator" is an erroneous classification at best and a manipulative lie at worst. It's not a scene creator, It's an animation program just like Blender except with one feature (In-Program Modeling) missing.

Also, Yes, The rules were changed. Adding SFM as an example of a "scene creator" is a change. Saying they were not changed is a flat out lie.

And they still bring up a valid point. If they payed for the model, It is their model. This isn't flexing their money, it's about using a product they purchased to create their art. Just like people who purchase tablets to draw their art, or paying for music and sprites to make a game.

Buying a model is not the same as buying a tablet to draw with, the tablet is a tool used to create artwork, it is NOT a part of the art itself, a model is.

As for buying sprites, yes, you certainly can make a game out of them, because what you are making is the game itself, not the artwork, "and even then it's a dick move to not credit the original artist", a static image made with purchased sprites however, will also not fly on the art portal and will be taken down just as fast as an SFM image made with assets from another artist.

In the end, this isn't about Source Film Maker or anything like that, this is about posting someone else's art and calling it your own. If you did not make the models, you did not make the piece, at that point it is a collaboration where one or more of the collaborators doesn't get any credit.

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-02 05:45:46

At 1/1/19 09:51 PM, ManualControl wrote: And they still bring up a valid point. If they payed for the model, It is their model. [...] it's about using a product they purchased to create their art. Just like people who purchase tablets to draw their art, or paying for music and sprites to make a game.

I don’t know why you guys keep bringing up the money element, as it’s irrelevant. It’s the usage of other assets - not from copyright, but looking at screenshots of you reposing somebody else’s model is lame.

Honestly, I feel using SFM as an example of a "scene creator" is an erroneous classification at best and a manipulative lie at worst.

If you don’t want to be considered as a scene creator, you shouldn’t take on arguments where you accept that people buy other’s models to make their pictures.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-02 07:35:05

At 1/2/19 06:14 AM, Valnoressa wrote: This really all just displays to me a complete lack of understanding of how the larger 3D art community works and how publically available models are more or less how things are created.

For example, I create all my art in Cinema 4D which is a full 3d program/software suite while SFM is a machinima tool that's been adapted by it's community as something much more than it was intended to be.

It takes me many hours/days to create a static scene from scratch. I use models that were pre-made by a company for their game but edited by me or others for use in a more adult manner. Often these edits are so involved and in depth that they're often new models in their own right. I use assets I port out from the game which is takes time, I often have to edit them and clean them up for use in my scenes which I spend a whole lot of time and effort crafting.

Once I'm done lighting, posing and detailing the scene I have to render it out which can take hours or longer depending on the settings/engine and program used to do it. Then I take it in photoshop and begin the post editing process to give it that look of finality and polish.

While not exactly the same as SFM, it's not too extremely different of a process and I get my models in a similar fashion. Does that mean my creations aren't welcome here too? People scouted me and my work seems to get upvoted so apparently people like it enough to disagree.

I'll concede that a lot of SFM art can often be made low effort and quickly by newer or lazy creators. But I raise you that a drawn artist can throw up a half assed/quick piece of similar effort work and still be accepted.

Doesn't the scouting system prevent the low effort/bad art from getting through? Isn't this the entire point of that particular system? To let the cream of the crop rise to the top where it can be seen?

I dunno, I'm a little disappointed that people who clearly have no deeper understanding of the 3D communities, especially SFM which has become largest and most accessible, are bandwagoning Tom's clear lack of understanding on an entire community of creators and what the norms are within such communities.

The amount of effort put in and the norms of the 3D communities are not what is in question, what IS in question is the rules of Newgrounds which clearly stateiu_1090_6031005.png

It does not matter that you've edited the models into something other than they were originally intended, the base model was still made by someone else, just like I'm not allowed to draw a dick on a Mario sprite and upload that.

HOWEVER, if I wanted to draw a piece of Mario fan art where he has his dick out, then I am free to do so, because I'm the one who created that particular piece of artwork, despite not creating the character. Just like if you wanted to make a piece of artwork out of 3D models that you made yourself, then you are absolutely allowed to do that as well.

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-02 08:34:31

At 1/2/19 06:14 AM, Valnoressa wrote: I use models that were pre-made by a company for their game but edited by me or others for use in a more adult manner.

I’m looking at your submissions, and you don’t even acknowledge that you’re using assets from elsewhere, irrespective of whether you use SFM or not.

This really all just displays to me a complete lack of understanding of how the larger 3D art community works and how publically available models are more or less how things are created.

When you say “larger” 3D art community, you’ve cast the net pretty wide, here. You’re not creating the 3D models, you’re plopping them in a scene and Photoshopping it. It takes you time, but so do other submissions in the art portal.

Had you the ability to make a 3D model, it would be no issue.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-03 14:10:29

Pardon me but this all seems a bit silly; considering this website has no issues catering to contentious content that literally mimics the cartoon styles of some shows from Cartoon Network, just to give on example: (Warning NSFW) https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/551022. This is a very blurry line you're digging in the sand. Underage characters from existing copyrighted IPs getting raped by rock monsters is fine and dandy but a few SFM assets that can't be verified isn't? Very odd indeed, considering this website is primary a host of fan creations of very well-known mascots and recognizable characters of intellectual property that you don't even own. SFM though? Wew. Gotta draw that line I guess.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-03 16:55:40

At 1/3/19 02:10 PM, PostitDraws wrote: Pardon me but this all seems a bit silly; considering this website has no issues catering to contentious content that literally mimics the cartoon styles of some shows from Cartoon Network -

If you’re going to create an account to join the argument, white knight, please read the thread at least.

The SFM assets are literally made by somebody else. It’s got nothing to do with copyright.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-03 17:50:40

So... even if it is entirely original work: not OK?

I assumed the rules were getting a bit more lenient with the recent influx, in that not only was original art always OK, but also: any art you have a right to use OK, regardless of source. As it seems to tie in to the question regarding commissions, and if users are allowed to post work they've commissioned, which was stated early on as OK. Seems to be some conflicting messages here regarding the level of originality required for something to be accepted.

The latest: Hexa #98 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-03 18:33:29 (edited 2019-01-03 18:40:55)

At 1/3/19 05:50 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: So... even if it is entirely original work: not OK?

If it's entirely original works, its OK.

However, more often than not, SFM is taking a pre-existing model(s) as the subject, taking away some clothing and posing them in a scene.

I assumed the rules were getting a bit more lenient with the recent influx, in that not only was original art always OK, but also: any art you have a right to use OK, regardless of source. As it seems to tie in to the question regarding commissions, and if users are allowed to post work they've commissioned, which was stated early on as OK. Seems to be some conflicting messages here regarding the level of originality required for something to be accepted.

Please quote me the conflicting messages regarding SFM and I'll iron them out. I thought I was being consistent with the message.

EDIT: I would also say that if the model used for the main subject weren't from a game and the creator for the model is acknowledged, it could be considered as collaborative work between the modeller and the creator of the scene. That's purely my opinion, though, and more often than not it is also not the case. It would also alleviate a lot of grief.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-03 18:39:28

At 1/3/19 02:10 PM, PostitDraws wrote: Pardon me but this all seems a bit silly; considering this website has no issues catering to contentious content that literally mimics the cartoon styles of some shows from Cartoon Network, just to give on example: (Warning NSFW) https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/551022.

That's hand-drawn, unlike SFM posters.

What does that have to do with anything, really? What were you trying to argue?

Response to SFM? 2019-01-07 12:21:34

If the reason people cant post it is because they didn't create the models that's one thing. But saying "Its just posing a 3d model therefore its lazy" comes from a position of someone who clearly has never used a 3d program like sfm to make a poster. There is alot of crappy sfm posters out there for every 1 good one, but to say its lazy in general is ignorant. I dont claim to make good posters either.

Response to SFM? 2019-01-07 12:34:17 (edited 2019-01-07 12:35:01)

At 1/7/19 12:21 PM, erikfishy3000 wrote: If the reason people cant post it is because they didn't create the models that's one thing. But saying "Its just posing a 3d model therefore its lazy" comes from a position of someone who clearly has never used a 3d program like sfm to make a poster. There is alot of crappy sfm posters out there for every 1 good one, but to say its lazy in general is ignorant. I dont claim to make good posters either.

Damn right I don’t use SFM.

The pics look fucking shit.

BBS Signature

Response to SFM? 2019-01-08 17:41:05

At 1/8/19 04:20 PM, JosephStarr wrote: Okay, you're just fanning the flames there man. Maybe if you tried using less personal bias and insults (and cleared up some loopholes) people would accept the sites official rules when they're clearly stated. I thought mods were supposed to be unbiased when ruling on things.

I’ve said multiple times it’s because the assets are from elsewhere. My last reply is me being brutally honest about the majority of SFM pics, which you’ve just picked apart because ... well, see my last sentence.

If people need me to make a picture featuring MLP models fucking the Team Fortress Scout in order to make that argument credible: tough shit.

The cleanest way to clean loop holes is to ban SFM pics completely. Locking the thread also kills off the flames and removes the space for SFM people to vent.

You happy? Course not.

You’re free to be biased.

BBS Signature